Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

johnnybmac wrote: »
    We called the area "The Banks". I have great memories of our towns first public swimming pool..

Half the town swam up there back in my day (My "Day" being born in the 70s growing up in the 80s). At least us poor people did :P:P:P.

Entire families would venture down the banks for a day out. Shannon side would walk down through what is now Hempfield , or we'd walk up the tracks from the railway station.

"Farsiders" would walk up where you said...

We called "The Rapids" the swift...

Farsiders..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Farsiders..... :D

Yep,they looked up at Vinegar Hill with jealousy in their eyes. :)

Before the town had a swimming pool virtually everyone learned to swim 'up the banks'.
    Good times,diving into the river off "the rock".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Yep,they looked up at Vinegar Hill with jealousy in their eyes. :)

Before the town had a swimming pool virtually everyone learned to swim 'up the banks'.
    Good times,diving into the river off "the rock".

Down the banks :)

TheChevron wrote: »
    Down the banks :)

Now young fella,I went up the banks. Long summers and the water was warm. No scumbag behaviour either,just lads and girls enjoying the long summer days and evenings all headed to the river with swimming gear rolled up in a towel. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

johnnybmac wrote: »
    We called the area "The Banks". I have great memories of our towns first public swimming pool..

Half the town swam up there back in my day (My "Day" being born in the 70s growing up in the 80s). At least us poor people did :P:P:P.

Entire families would venture down the banks for a day out. Shannon side would walk down through what is now Hempfield , or we'd walk up the tracks from the railway station.

"Farsiders" would walk up where you said...

We called "The Rapids" the swift...

I'm a 70's born, child of the 80's and from the Shannon, and took that walk down past the Shamrocks pitch and Hempfield to the Banks too.

Remember Buttles and its river polluting dead pigs???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Up the Banks. Down the Bare-meadows

Navarre wrote: »
    Up the Banks. Down the Bare-meadows

"Wouldn't turn in the bare meadows" as Puck would say to Shocky.

Well the council's offices in The Square are getting well and truly gutted for the refit.
    I've never seen anyone going to work in there bar someone at the front desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Well the council's offices in The Square are getting well and truly gutted for the refit.

Great to see - it's what the people of the town (and ratepayers) have been demanding for years - plush offices for council officials. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Great to see - it's what the people of the town (and ratepayers) have been demanding for years - plush offices for council officials. :rolleyes:

Think of the productivity gains, a rested employee is a productive one...........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Don’t the majority of them work in the office on the Old Dublin Rd. anyway?

Donal Minnock is the only other person I ever saw

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IsaBrown

Lidl rebuild starting 22nd March until September according to one of staff in there.

IsaBrown wrote: »
    Lidl rebuild starting 22nd March until September according to one of staff in there.

Will it close for that period?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,389 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Will it close for that period?

Demolishing and starting from scratch I think. That was the original plan anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,592 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

kneemos wrote: »
    Demolishing and starting from scratch I think

Like the one in Tallaght? Didn't realise we were due snow.

Demolishing and starting from scratch I think. That was the original plan anyway.

Some of the objections were gas....

"It'll be too big". The facade will be the same size as it's always been.

"It'll take trade from the town centre". It's been trading for over 13 years at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are they moving into the old Dunnes temporarily?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are they moving into the old Dunnes temporarily?

Very much doubt it.

they moved into the old Tesco during the Gorey store renovations. Can't see them leaving the town for months.

• Advertisement

The Antique was the place to be yesterday for rugby fans - as usual Stephen pushed out the boat with a draw for 1st try scorer in the Irish game, free food at half time and of course great pints! There's now also a TV in the upstairs smoking area.

I had a good day out with my two shirts - and won the draw! :D

Antique%2BRugby.jpg

Very much doubt it.

No, apparently they looked into it though but cost and traffic deterred them. Was talking to the store manager and the staff are all being deployed county wide for the duration of the refurb.

No, apparently they looked into it though but cost and traffic deterred them. Was talking to the store manager and the staff are all being deployed county wide for the duration of the refurb.

That's going to be a big loss for many people, myself included. I'll have to drive to Ross like the old days!!

The Antique was the place to be yesterday for rugby fans - as usual Stephen pushed out the boat with a draw for 1st try scorer in the Irish game, free food at half time and of course great pints! There's now also a TV in the upstairs smoking area.

I had a good day out with my two shirts - and won the draw! :D

Antique%2BRugby.jpg

A yellow one with them and you're part of the common man's rise of the Shinners....

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's going to be a big loss for many people, myself included. I'll have to drive to Ross like the old days!!

Or Wexford. I can see Aldi being very busy while the building is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,389 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Hopefully we'll see more than lip service paid to the region going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

3 great TD's, 2 of which have done NOTHING for Enniscorthy in the past.....and I can't see the latest addition doing any more.

Hopefully we'll see more than lip service paid to the region going forward.

Going forward... Ok...

• Advertisement

Or Wexford. I can see Aldi being very busy while the building is going on.

Defo, they'll have to up their orders They only open at 9am too, which is a oian. Gonna miss the Lidl half price weekend offers

Advertisement