Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Enniscorthy

• 09-06-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

I had to wait around for an hour in Enniscorthy today for an appointment so decided to sit down by the river opposite the Bus Stop. I was so sad to see the state of the place. The rubbish strewn around, the seats too dirty to sit on. Such a shame with it being such a pleasant spot to sit and have a sambo at lunchtime. Does the council not send cleaners down there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I had to wait around for an hour in Enniscorthy today for an appointment so decided to sit down by the river opposite the Bus Stop. I was so sad to see the state of the place. The rubbish strewn around, the seats too dirty to sit on. Such a shame with it being such a pleasant spot to sit and have a sambo at lunchtime. Does the council not send cleaners down there?

The seats and railings by the river haven't been painted for at least ten years either. The council appear to have plenty of staff but their appropriate deployment seems to be beyond officialdom. :( More here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

The Quay hasn't been as much as swept since the Baw Wildes retired, FFS. I certainly wouldn't sit there unless I wnated to pick up an exotic disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Bearhunter wrote: »
    The Quay hasn't been as much as swept since the Baw Wildes retired, FFS. I certainly wouldn't sit there unless I wnated to pick up an exotic disease.

Council didnt clean the playground at Riverside after the floods either, not the place to bring you kids. I'm afraid alot of the current council work force are to posh to be seen sweeping up or cleaning, that is unless it involves using a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

The seats and railings by the river haven't been painted for at least ten years either. The council appear to have plenty of staff but their appropriate deployment seems to be beyond officialdom. :( More here: http://countywexford.blogspot.com/
    It's a pity really, given that the CIE Tours busses stop there as well as the Expressway busses. This 'gateway' could be cleaned up without much effort and at minimal cost. And it was beautiful there by the river in the sun. Such a shame about the surroundings. Although those who scattered their rubbish must also carry the can.

From today's Guardian comes the first 'potentially' good idea that I have seen coming from the UDC since I have lived in the town. I was only thinking of this recently myself but of course the fund will have to be used wisely. Perhaps a worthwhile junket for some of the UDC councillors/officials would be Clonakilty or Kinsale - to see what can be achieved with paint and flowers.

certs002.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Have seen a thread talking about the state of the seating area between the bridges in town. I think it's outragous that it's left in that state. Last week after 3 days of solid rain I saw 5 council workers out watering the plants around the town. Where is the plan behind that? Makes me soooo mad.

I think the title of this thread is wrong - Council management in Enniscorthy would be more appropriate. I see council staff working quite hard about the town but, as you say, there appears to be little direction to their activities. The town is one big mess. We are in the middle of 1500 celebrations and the council can't even paint the seats in the Market Square - feet from their offices - and there is, once again, marker graffiti on the 1798 memorial. I could go on but what's the point - and I nearly forgot some wonderful Judge has just given a drink licence to yet another night club in the town. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

The foam that pours out of the fountain makes me laugh!:D

furerer wrote: »
    The foam that pours out of the fountain makes me laugh!:D

The Singing Bird was supposed to have been removed to a less public location a couple of years ago but as for foam - there's been no water in it for months now so even that bit of amusement is gone. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

"marker graffiti on the 1798 memorial.." Where did it all go wrong? I heard this evening of a party from Belfast paid a visit to Vinegar Hill expecting to see a spectacular remembrance to those who fought for our liberty....the tree of Liberty was nicked...it was a sorry sight. Shame..shame..shame...
    My Great-Grandfather was one of the men who placed Shepherds art in situ in the market square. Sad...sad..sad......

Did anyone notice the article in the echo this week about "dog poo"?
    Are there not laws regarding the removal by the owners? How many of them are ever in court? Why does the dog warden not pursue it?
    And please do not reply with "no-one sees the dog doing it", the garda can catch someone peeing up an alleyway, and everyone in town misses nothing. Dogs are constantly running around the town with no owner in sight.....but does the dog warden do anything?
    Answer is.....the same as most laws in Ireland.....they are not enforced, due to lack of interest, and the fact no organisation wants to take in these wandering dogs, not around Wexford anyway.

So, Enniscorthy council, either pursue the matter or shut up. We, the people, are not going to do the job for you. And if the matter grinds at the council......employ someone to clean up the streets of dog excrament...that's if the council will employ anyone of course.......it may mean that a councillor/s might not be able to claim all their expenses!

We can't have that.......can we!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had a wonderful experience with my two year old dodging dogsh1te on Rafter Street today-shameful for a main thoroughfare of the town. The Mill Park road and Milehouse Road seem to be the place to empty your dog every day.(maybe coincidence but those areas are where the 2 secondary schools are-a nice walk to school with paths covered in crap)
    I remember when I was younger and walking along Mill Park Road early in the morning witnessing people letting dogs sh1t all over the path.
    Any other country it's a fine for not cleaning up(it's actually enforced) and frowned upon-here it seems people are afraid to confront the offending owners and no enforcement .:mad:

I walk my dog around time all the time, but always have a bag and toilet paper with me to pick up after him. I think I am one of the very few who do this.
    I saw a sign across from the court house saying it's a 1800 fine for not cleaning it up. A few of those handed out and I think the proble would not be long sorted out

Rock on padjo1981........one of the few good dog owners. I see that sh_te seems to bring the comments out! So to add some more trash to it....what about the dumping of rubbish?
    Is it not time for the govmt and councils to make it law that every household/property has bins? It amazes me the amount of properties that do not have bins, I mean, lets face it, everyone has rubbish....where do these unbinned households dispose of their trash....lets see....I know of 1 household that collects their rubbish each morning, walks into town, and throws it in a bin by the side of the road that is meant for pedestrians to dispose of small items of litter, (sweet papers, etc). The bin at the Still pond is frequently overflowing.....council workers take note!
    I know of 1 landlord that recently found out that their last tenants disposed of their crap in the loft....yes the loft! A years supply!
    Then of course there is the "dumper" that likes to dump rubbish outside the town along beautifull lanes, like the one I live on, beds, suites, fridges, household rubbish, nappies, etc. And this is just Enniscorthy.
    And I dont want to hear that some people pay by the bag and leave it by the side of the road to be collected......most times it is ripped apart by animals and left there to blow around.
    Make it law that every property has to have bins and stop the majority of dumping.
    By the way, does anyone know if the traffic warden, dog warden, and litter warden in Enniscorthy is the one person?

I have seen a the dog warden van around town in the last few days. Not sure what he was doing but he drove straight past 3 dogs wandering the street with no collar or owner in sight. I think the traffic warden can fine you for littering and that. I am not 100% on that though.

Yep, about right. But I wanted to know if the three people I mentioned are in fact the 1 person doing three jobs, traffic warden, dog control, litter warden. I know the traffic warden has a new hoppo, has had for a while now, but I'm talking about the original one....we all know him in town.

I am not sure, but it would make sense for the 1 to enforce all 3. But making sense would not be the irish thing to do.

Well padjo1981.....he doesn't really enforce anything......apart from the odd parking ticket....it is the easiest after all.

I'm going to have to disagree slightly with you, (please....no violence), and say that each of the subjects should be dealt with by seperate people, it's a full time job watching parking offenders, a full time job dealing with rubbish dumping, and by the state of the towns footpaths a full time job catching dogs and their owners. Each of these positions would pay for themselves if the employed people were diligent, one 1800 euro fine for dog crap would be a good weeks work, a 2000 euro fine for dumping is pretty good too, and handing out all those tickets brings in a tidy sum. Not to mention that if all properties had to have bins...this would also bring in further cash...and stop some of the dumping.
    Who is responsible for the positions we talk about.....the council.....and what are they doing to improve the productivity of the employed we also talk about.....nothing....but spout about how bad the situation is....full of wind & water........the lot of them.

It shouldn't be that hard to find out who doesn't have bins and the reason why.The council have records of customers as do private operators-process of elimination, simple.I know one guy who simply filled his garden until council eventually came and took days to clear it.Imagine living beside that.
    It's a great sight greeting visitors to the town,ditches full of rubbish and streets covered in sh1te.Makes you feel proud-not!

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    It shouldn't be that hard to find out who doesn't have bins and the reason why.The council have records of customers as do private operators-process of elimination, simple.I know one guy who simply filled his garden until council eventually came and took days to clear it.Imagine living beside that.
    It's a great sight greeting visitors to the town,ditches full of rubbish and streets covered in sh1te.Makes you feel proud-not!

ENNISCORTHY%2B27%2BMARCH%2B2009%2B015.JPG

The house above is one of the first things that greets visitors to the town - whether arriving by road, or walking between the station, Tracey's Hotel and the town centre. Nice!

Plenty more below to help your enjoyment of "Enniscorthy 1500". :(

http://countywexford.blogspot.com/

That picture is just a microcosm of the state of the town-the lower half of that building will never be habitable due to it being underwater twice or three times a year-waste of space and target for vandals.
    As for 'Scorthy's point about the monument in the Square,the kids hanging around have probably never taken the time to even look up at it never mind know what it symbolises-sad.The council workers can only do what they're told so no point in them showing initiative when the powers that be send them out to do a particular job and no more,too many chiefs imo.
    It's all well and good getting artists impressions made up and printed in the press but we never see an end result,even a lick of paint on the buildings would take the depressing look off the town-how about roping in the kids that have nothing else to do,at least then they'd think twice about vandalising something they put time and effort into.
    We know theres council members that look at these threads so maybe if we post enough pictures of where work needs doing they might decide to act on it......:(

Here's a thing that even surprises me - coming from a staunchly unionist background - but I find it offensive to the memory of 1798 to see people even sitting on the base on the monument. I'm sure I can get treatment but then again I'm so old now what's the point. :D

I'm sure I can get treatment but then again I'm so old now what's the point. :D

Nice one Judgement Day....that made me smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Last week after 3 days of solid rain I saw 5 council workers out watering the plants around the town. Where is the plan behind that? Makes me soooo mad.

Now, not knowing the exact plants, but rain often just runs off and may not penetrate to the soil where it is needed.

But nonetheless, it shows how stupid city managers have their heads in the clouds as badly as any elected officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just in relation to every household having to have a bin:

I say fair enough if you're charged based on the amount of rubbish you generate... but most of these bins have a flat rate charge that isn't fair for the people that go out of their way to produce less rubbish and recycle more.

About 65% of our rubbish goes into Greenstar recycling bags which are collected twice a week.

Glass Bottles and other similar items are disposed in the Bottle Banks around town.

We fill 1 large black bin bag with rubbish about once a fortnight which we then bring to Jimmy Gahan's and pay to dispose it in the disposal unit outside the shop.

This way we only pay based on the amount rubbish we generate. I've no problem paying for a bin but the system needs to be fair.

I'm also aware of other households that split the bin charge because they don't produce enough waste individually so they share the burden.

If only everyone was like you-but alas they find it easier to throw the black bags in the ditches along the roads,the other day I saw bags of clothes dumped along the road to Monart Spa,I wouldn't mind but all that needed doing was leave them outside the front door with one of those stickers that arrive in the letterbox twice a week and viola somebody collects them.
    Bin companies also do "pay by weight" so if you leave out less rubbish in the bin you pay less.A few hidden cameras in dumping blackspots would show some interesting results.But wait-we can't do that,it would take 2 years of meetings and consultations only to discover it might impinge on some toe-rags human rights.

but alas they find it easier to throw the black bags in the ditches along the roads

Tell me about it... we had a two seater armchair on the roadside out to our house a few months ago.
    But wait-we can't do that,it would take 2 years of meetings and consultations only to discover it might impinge on some toe-rags human rights.

They love red tape in this country.

4826552277_d46e2acbbe_m.jpg

Irelands new national sport:mad:

flytipping-large.jpg

• Advertisement

As mentioned in another thread -

Here's some of the gardening handy work compliments of Enniscorthy Town Council.

This used to be pure grass and my father made sure to keep it mowed and generally looking quite well. Now it's full of weeds, empty lager cans and bottles.

Honest to God... have you ever seen anything so ridiculous?

Well done Enniscorthy Town Council... that's all I can say.

4830735986_5de60ee1fa.jpg

4830124813_76bb34247f.jpg

4830124191_a4da2b2eb0.jpg

Advertisement