Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Groundworks have begun for the upgrade of the Lidl store.
    It's to close in about 4 weeks and with no suitable alternative premises in town we'll be left without the store until work finishes on the rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Groundworks have begun for the upgrade of the Lidl store.
    It's to close in about 4 weeks and with no suitable alternative premises in town we'll be left without the store until work finishes on the rebuild.

There's always Dunne's - Lol. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Del.Monte wrote: »
    There's always Dunne's - Lol. :rolleyes:

They looked into it and ruled it out.

They looked into it and ruled it out.

I meant people could always shop in Dunne's as an alternative to Lidl but I don't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

I meant people could always shop in Dunne's as an alternative to Lidl but I don't recommend it.

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant they could move to the old Dunnes temporarily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,389 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Ah, sorry, I thought you meant they could move to the old Dunnes temporarily

Ideal for a Tesco Express.

Looks like Bus Eireann have not only abandoned the Enniscorthy to Waterford route but have all but given up on the Wexford to Waterford service as well,with only on or two buses in the late afternoon.

Just left it to Wexford Bus it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kneemos wrote: »
    Looks like Bus Eireann have not only abandoned the Enniscorthy to Waterford route but have all but given up on the Wexford to Waterford service as well,with only on or two buses in the late afternoon.

Just left it to Wexford Bus it seems.

Would the nta not decide this.

Would the nta not decide this.

Possibly. Would have thought there would be a demand for a Dublin Waterford route via Gorey Enniscorthy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Possibly. Would have thought there would be a demand for a Dublin Waterford route via Gorey Enniscorthy etc.

Wasn't there a Dublin - Waterford service using that route up until a few years ago?
    Scrapped for lack of demand apparently. No.5 I think it was.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a Dublin - Waterford service using that route up until a few years ago?
    Scrapped for lack of demand apparently. No.5 I think it was.

There was such a service and it was well used anytime that I travelled on it. It's long gone like the Waterford/Rosslare railway which also allowed day return travel between Enniscorthy and Waterford but it wasn't marketed and few knew of its existence. Our wonderful local politicians - of all parties - have sat and watched as CIE and the Government have dismantled public transport in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

No way would it be gone if people were using it.....this is the same across the country.
    And if it was a bus/train full of pensioners, nobody who was paying was using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

There was such a service and it was well used anytime that I travelled on it. It's long gone like the Waterford/Rosslare railway which also allowed day return travel between Enniscorthy and Waterford but it wasn't marketed and few knew of its existence. Our wonderful local politicians - of all parties - have sat and watched as CIE and the Government have dismantled public transport in the south east.

Think that in the main though, that Dublin to Waterford (via Gorey and Enniscorthy) bus was just used by people travelling Dublin to Gorey or Dublin to Enniscorthy anyway? They just saw it as an alternative to the other services that continued to Wexford/Rosslare instead, as they didn’t really care where the bus went to after they got off themselves.

No real demand for Gorey to Waterford or Enniscorthy to Waterford. And anybody actually wanting to go all the way from Dublin to Waterford in the first place would choose the other service instead (via Carlow/Kilkenny) as it’s at least half an hour quicker than going via Gorey and Enniscorthy.

As for the train that used to run….yes, might have been possible to do a day return from Enniscorthy to Waterford. But only if you didn’t mind having to go out of your way to Rosslare first, then wait around to change trains, and then have maybe just two to three hours in Waterford before having to get the first of two trains home again.

Certainly wouldn’t suit anybody commuting to work there. Would hardly even suit students in the college there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Think that in the main though, that Dublin to Waterford (via Gorey and Enniscorthy) bus was just used by people travelling Dublin to Gorey or Dublin to Enniscorthy anyway? They just saw it as an alternative to the other services that continued to Wexford/Rosslare instead, as they didn’t really care where the bus went to after they got off themselves.

No real demand for Gorey to Waterford or Enniscorthy to Waterford. And anybody actually wanting to go all the way from Dublin to Waterford in the first place would choose the other service instead (via Carlow/Kilkenny) as it’s at least half an hour quicker than going via Gorey and Enniscorthy.

As for the train that used to run….yes, might have been possible to do a day return from Enniscorthy to Waterford. But only if you didn’t mind having to go out of your way to Rosslare first, then wait around to change trains, and then have maybe just two to three hours in Waterford before having to get the first of two trains home again.

Certainly wouldn’t suit anybody commuting to work there. Would hardly even suit students in the college there.

I would have got that Dublin to Waterford bus as it was the only CIE bus going to New Ross. But it wouldnt have been often, more likely than not it would have been a Kavanagh bus I got.

As said, if a popular or in demand bus or train service gets terminated, it would cause uproar. The fact that these get terminated with little or no fuss shows that it wasnt a big factor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deise18

There is a huge group of students in college in Waterford from gorey and enniscorthy who would commute daily rather than stay in Waterford during term, if they had the option of daily regular buses

deise18 wrote: »
    There is a huge group of students in college in Waterford from gorey and enniscorthy who would commute daily rather than stay in Waterford during term, if they had the option of daily regular buses

And there is probably bigger group of students from those towns who are DELIGHTED there is no bus because it gets them out of that very situation.

And to be honest, if there was enough demand, Wexford Bus would have a route you can be sure of it.

Maybe so. But I don't recall any huge protest from such students when the route was discontinued. Also, maybe not feasible from a business point of view to operate a certain route if you're relying on students to such a large degree. You'd probably be obliged to operate it all year round, but there'd be next to nobody on it during the summer months and at certain other times of year too.

Meanwhile, found this from 2015 about the Enniscorthy-New Ross-Waterford route that Wexford Bus used to run:

https://www.wexfordbus.com/customer-announcement-enniscorthy-to-waterford-service-will-be-suspended-from-sat-october-3rd/

Basically that they were suspending the route due to traffic delays meaning their timetable was almost worthless. Presume they were referring to the delays in New Ross. Wonder if they might now be looking at opening that route again, with the bypass and the new bridge? Or maybe there's just not the demand that some might think?

Shopkeepers to get a grant to paint their shop fronts.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/02/26/brighter-shop-fronts-for-three-local-towns/

Why bother commenting on something that you appear to know nothing about? I live in Enniscorthy and I used the services. I'll leave it at that because I can't be bothered arguing.

• Advertisement

No way would it be gone if people were using it.....this is the same across the country.
    And if it was a bus/train full of pensioners, nobody who was paying was using it!

Do you work for the CIE PR department?

Why bother commenting on something that you appear to know nothing about? I live in Enniscorthy and I used the services. I'll leave it at that because I can't be bothered arguing.

Well, aren’t you the cheerful fella.

I merely suggested that the majority of people who used that service were using it to travel between Dublin and Gorey/Enniscorthy, and that the number of people using it to travel between Gorey/Enniscorthy and Waterford was relatively small by comparison.

Humblest apologies if my input somehow offended you. Also, I share your reluctance to argue. In fact, I’d like to be friends instead. What do you say there, buddy? Can we be pals? Please????

Do you work for the CIE PR department?

No I live in the real world and am just as entitled to my opinion as you. Maybe get out the other side of the bed tomorrow morning.

Shopkeepers to get a grant to paint their shop fronts.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/02/26/brighter-shop-fronts-for-three-local-towns/

"Colour consultant" = some lad from PWC on 1k quid a day probably.

Castle%2BHill%2Bwindow.jpg

Window noted smashed in the mystery offices on Castle Hill. Anybody know what goes on in here?

Peace%2BGarden%2B29th%2BFeb.2020.jpg

Nice view of the Slaney from the Peace Garden. Lots of potential to get it right here but the Council's record doesn't fill me with optimism. I wonder who advises them on these type of projects - and will inquire shortly - as their priority seems to have been to go OTT on lopping branches on many of the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

Castle%2BHill%2Bwindow.jpg

Window noted smashed in the mystery offices on Castle Hill. Anybody know what goes on in here?

Peace%2BGarden%2B29th%2BFeb.2020.jpg

Nice view of the Slaney from the Peace Garden. Lots of potential to get it right here but the Council's record doesn't fill me with optimism. I wonder who advises them on these type of projects - and will inquire shortly - as their priority seems to have been to go OTT on lopping branches on many of the trees.

I believe the Cornmarket Project is based in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭CoBo55

johnnybmac wrote: »
    I believe the Cornmarket Project is based in there.

I thought it was the Knights...

Whoever it is they are keeping their presence a secret - not a sign over the premises or on the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 mrkr

Regarding Enniscorthy to Waterford buses, the Route 5 bus that Bus Eireann ran was cancelled five years ago, I know because I emailed them at the time to complain as I used it frequently.

At that time, the plan was for Wexford Bus to provide a direct service from Enniscorthy to Waterford several times a day. They initially fulfilled that role. However, it was almost as swiftly cancelled because of the impossible-to-predict :rolleyes: delays that occurred to the service in the evening going through New Ross. So we went from a public company providing a public good, to a private company doing so, and then they quickly dropped it when they realised it wasn't possible to run the service on time because of tailbacks going into Ross, and then the service was dropped entirely and with no comment that I saw from any local reps etc.

Since then, the only option for anyone who wishes to use public transport to get to the major city in the Southeast from Enniscorthy has been to schlep it down to Wexford and then linger around O'Hanrahan station until a bus to Waterford turns up.

Advertisement