Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They'd be better spending 1m revaming the square, re-introducing some parking, etc. The town is dead since they pedestrianised Rafter Street.

Take out that big plinth thing and put it back the way it was,move the Farmers market into it on a Saturday.
    They could even cover it something like The Apple Market in Waterford so weather won't be an issue which would benefit the times they have live music there.
    We have all that space in the middle of town that isn't being utilised.

kneemos wrote: »
    Haven't laid a block on the thing yet.

An American company visited recently and got a tour of local companies. They are planning to move into the Technology park.
    I assume any buildings there will be custom built to spec for any tenants rather than putting them up now and trying to retrofit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Duffry Goat

Traffic congestion in the Duffry/Lymington Road area all of this week is totally unacceptable and to the detriment of commuters and businesses in the area. Authorities need to address this immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Traffic congestion in the Duffry/Lymington Road area all of this week is totally unacceptable and to the detriment of commuters and businesses in the area. Authorities need to address this immediately.

ESB works, they're finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Take out that big plinth thing and put it back the way it was,move the Farmers market into it on a Saturday.
    They could even cover it something like The Apple Market in Waterford so weather won't be an issue which would benefit the times they have live music there.
    We have all that space in the middle of town that isn't being utilised.

2 financial services companies opening in Wexford in Q1 bringing approx 200 new jobs. Don't know if what you refer to is part of that announcement

• Advertisement

They'd be better spending 1m revaming the square, re-introducing some parking, etc. The town is dead since they pedestrianised Rafter Street.

Rafter St dead since Dunnes left it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Rafter St dead since Dunnes left it

Rack-rents, Council rates and online shopping have killed retail more than anything else.

2 financial services companies opening in Wexford in Q1 bringing approx 200 new jobs. Don't know if what you refer to is part of that announcement

I think you quoted the wrong post.
    The company I mentioned in the other post is a green building company who use the latest building tech to manufacture environmentally friendly buildings. It was in the Guardian a while back.
    Aren't one of the financial services moving into the old court house?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

The company I mentioned in the other post is a green building company who use the latest building tech to manufacture environmentally friendly buildings. It was in the Guardian a while back.

Opus (financial comp who announced up to 100 jobs) are now in Merrythought House, they were to go to court house but council in there during renovations. I think the plan is to move to Tech Park when built

Its 2 more on top of Opus.

• Advertisement

Is the local bar closed down?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Unfortunately not

I think they're struggling though, I've heard they don't have many popular drinks available, not a good sign.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I think they're struggling though, I've heard they don't have many popular drinks available, not a good sign.

To be honest the sooner they're gone the better for me... I walk over that way a good bit and between the traffic cones they have out blocking a parking space that doesn't belong to them and the vomit on the footpath that the bouncers couldn't be bothered to wash down with a bucket of water they're better closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Where is the Local Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,594 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Where is the Local Bar?

The kip on castle hill.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The kip on castle hill.

Judging by the clientele hanging around outside,I can't see it lasting.
    One positive is that we know where they all are.

In my ongoing attempt to be a responsible citizen I brought my glass recycling to the bins at the 1798 Centre this morning only to find the place in lock-down. Has the Coronovirus been sighted there? Not to be deterred I climbed over the wall expecting to be greeted by armed council employees in hazmat suits but nothing. Deposited my glass and left but I did wonder if I hurt myself as I jumped from the wall would the Council be responsible?

Returning on foot along Millpark Road another of my pet hates was noted - tourist signs for Letts (sic) Brewery; apart from not even getting the syntax correct on the signs, what is the point of them? On arrival at the former brewery, which is not open to the public, one is greeted by a very interesting but poorly maintained set of 19th century industrial buildings. :confused:

LETT%2527S.jpg

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In my ongoing attempt to be a responsible citizen I brought my glass recycling to the bins at the 1798 Centre this morning only to find the place in lock-down. Has the Coronovirus been sighted there? Not to be deterred I climbed over the wall expecting to be greeted by armed council employees in hazmat suits but nothing. Deposited my glass and left but I did wonder if I hurt myself as I jumped from the wall would the Council be responsible?

Returning on foot along Millpark Road another of my pet hates was noted - tourist signs for Letts (sic) Brewery; apart from not even getting the syntax correct on the signs, what is the point of them? On arrival at the former brewery, which is not open to the public, one is greeted by a very interesting but poorly maintained set of 19th century industrial buildings. :confused:

LETT%2527S.jpg

AES do a glass bin, would save you that hazardous journey.

• Advertisement

LETT%2527S.jpg

Why would the council be held responsible for your potential injuries? (Really shows the out of control compo culture we have). I think what you did is know as trespass. There is a glass recycling facility open at the bottom of the Ross Rd that doesn't necessitate climbing walls

Why would the council be held responsible for your potential injuries? (Really shows the out of control compo culture we have). I think what you did is know as trespass. There is a glass recycling facility open at the bottom of the Ross Rd that doesn't necessitate climbing walls

I am the last person in the world to be interested in compo culture but thanks for you jumping to that conclusion. Why were the bins locked off and I haven't the faintest idea where there is a recycling facility at the bottom of the Ross Road. The council have made it increasingly difficult for people that don't drive to recycle glass in the town - the bins by the old Super Valu carpark and the ones in the old Dunnes Stores carpark are long gone. As for trespass - who do you think owns the '98 Centre - the ****ing public do - not the little tin gods in the the ****ing council!!

I am the last person in the world to be interested in compo culture but thanks for you jumping to that conclusion. Why were the bins locked off and I haven't the faintest idea where there is a recycling facility at the bottom of the Ross Road. The council have made it increasingly difficult for people that don't drive to recycle glass in the town - the bins by the old Super Valu carpark and the ones in the old Dunnes Stores carpark are long gone. As for trespass - who do you think owns the '98 Centre - the ****ing public do - not the little tin gods in the the ****ing council!!

They are in the carpark, across the road from the rugby club, very accessible.

With the scrotes we have, closing the 1798 centre when it is not open is understandable.

I didn't jump to any conclusions, you mentioned the council responsibility in the face of public recklessness. And I mention compo culture as a systemic problem in today's society, not specifically in your particular case.

And it is trespass when its locked up. The public/taxpayer owns a lot of things and places - should they all be left open?

Something positive to post at last.

Having lived in the centre of town for the last 15 years I had, until today, never ventured northwards along the west bank of the river.

Access is via a path which starts just beyond the Woodlands Service Station on the N11. What a difference to the walk on the Promenade - unspoilt woodland, a muddy gravel path and virtually nobody about to disturb the wildlife. The path closely follows the river to a spot somewhere below the graveyard where an unfriendly sign warns off trespassers and states that the lands ahead are poisoned. Presumably it marks the border of the bould Ivan's Blackstoops Demesne?

North%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bbridge.jpg

In fact it's probably no harm that the only option is to retrace one's steps as it prevents the path becoming a rat race for cyclists and others. A beautiful, short walk teeming with birdlife which needs to be left well alone by the powers that be - although a clean up of a small amount rubbish, beer cans etc. would not go amiss. Could a school possibly adopt the woodland as an environmental project?

Something positive to post at last.

Having lived in the centre of town for the last 15 years I had, until today, never ventured northwards along the west bank of the river.

Access is via a path which starts just beyond the Woodlands Service Station on the N11. What a difference to the walk on the Promenade - unspoilt woodland, a muddy gravel path and virtually nobody about to disturb the wildlife. The path closely follows the river to a spot somewhere below the graveyard where an unfriendly sign warns off trespassers and states that the lands ahead are poisoned. Presumably it marks the border of the bould Ivan's Blackstoops Demesne?

North%2Bof%2Bthe%2Bbridge.jpg

In fact it's probably no harm that the only option is to retrace one's steps as it prevents the path becoming a rat race for cyclists and others. A beautiful, short walk teeming with birdlife which needs to be left well alone by the powers that be - although a clean up of a small amount rubbish, beer cans etc. would not go amiss. Could a school possibly adopt the woodland as an environmental project?

I must agree, a lovely spot, we used to go swimming up the rapids there years ago.

The Local Bar has finally shut its door.

The Local Bar has finally shut its door.

Really? Their fb page says closed till the 7th for renovation

arseagon wrote: »
    Really? Their fb page says closed till the 7th for renovation

Oh, i just saw the sign on the door saying we are closed - I may have misunderstood.

Oh, i just saw the sign on the door saying we are closed - I may have misunderstood.

Damn you, you got my hopes up!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

I must agree, a lovely spot, we used to go swimming up the rapids there years ago.

We called the area "The Banks". I have great memories of our towns first public swimming pool..

Half the town swam up there back in my day (My "Day" being born in the 70s growing up in the 80s). At least us poor people did :P:P:P.

Entire families would venture down the banks for a day out. Shannon side would walk down through what is now Hempfield , or we'd walk up the tracks from the railway station.

"Farsiders" would walk up where you said...

We called "The Rapids" the swift...

Advertisement