Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Mmm. Looked like Kearney Mark 2 to me. Never even looked like passing once. Could have tried something else once or twice even, eg, Stockdale.

Never looked to pass except for the times he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

yerrahbah wrote: »
    Henshaw isn't that bad
    He's not new and shiny though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If Farrell does start POM then I think he will start to lose huge sections of the fans after 2 games, win/lose/draw

The back row of Stander, VDF, POM does not work and hasn’t in a long time. I don’t think I could stick another game watching it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

With Ringrose injured Aki Henshaw is the best centre combination.

Mmm. Looked like Kearney Mark 2 to me. Never even looked like passing once. Could have tried something else once or twice even, eg, Stockdale.

Kearney is one of the most successful players ever in Irish rugby, I’m sure Larmour would love to retire with his medals and accolades

Bazzo wrote: »
    With Ringrose is injured then Aki Henshaw is the best centre combination.

Farrell and Aki/Henshaw would be better. Shoving a 12 into 13 doesn’t make sense. Especially in this fixture during the Grand Slam Farrell was MoM

• Subscribers Posts: 41,266 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Never even looked like passing once. .

you mean apart from the SEVEN times he passed ??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yeah, but he never looked like passing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Larmour passed the ball just under 1 out of every four times he touched it.

Name one time a ball being passed would have put us in a better position than the one Larmour put us in.

You don’t pass the ball for the sake of passing it. It’s the ultimate strawman argument.

Larmour ran for more meters than any other full back this weekend. And he ran treble the amount of both England and Frances full-backs combined.

If he wasn’t making meters there would be an argument to be had, but it just makes no sense to me that people think not passing for the sake of it is a bad thing. And the comparisons to Kearney? The vendetta some people here have against our most decorated player of all time is absolutely baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

sydthebeat wrote: »

He disguised them skillfully, making the passes even more effective. They were so good, some didnt notice that he made them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Faugheen wrote: »
    Larmour passed the ball just under 1 out of every four times he touched it.

Name one time a ball being passed would have put us in a better position than the one Larmour put us in.

You don’t pass the ball for the sake of passing it. It’s the ultimate strawman argument.

Larmour ran for more meters than any other full back this weekend. And he ran treble the amount of both England and Frances full-backs combined.

If he wasn’t making meters there would be an argument to be had, but it just makes no sense to me that people think not passing for the sake of it is a bad thing. And the comparisons to Kearney? The vendetta some people here have against our most decorated player of all time is absolutely baffling.

Source and calculations please!

Edit both the English and French fullbacks had mares so it’s not saying much

Granny15 wrote: »
    Source and calculations please!

Sure thing friend.

Meters made:

Larmour: 138
    Halfpenny: 107
    Minozzi: 85
    Hogg: 42
    Bouthier: 19
    Furbank: 19

Source: https://www.espn.com/rugby/scoreboard?date=20200201

Sure thing friend.

Meters made:

Larmour: 138
    Halfpenny: 107
    Minozzi: 85
    Hogg: 42
    Bouthier: 19
    Furbank: 19

Source: https://www.espn.com/rugby/scoreboard?date=20200201
    The six nations website has even better stats than ESPN. Just in case you're interested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The six nations website has even better stats than ESPN. Just in case you're interested.

They seem to be wildly different between both sources, to the point I'm not sure which to believe. For example:

Stander metres made:
    ESPN: 27m (off 14 carries).
    6N: 73m (off 17 carries).

VdF tackles:
    ESPN: 15 (5 missed)
    6N: 15 (2 missed)

Larmour passes:
    ESPN: 7
    6N: 3

According to the 6 nations stats, Henderson didn’t win any line outs and had 1 stolen lineout, so they look bollox unless I’m reading it wrong

I think the "Lineouts stolen" stat means how many that player turned over on the oppositions put-in. Henderson is down for 1, but my recollection is him affecting 2 turnovers; guess it depends how cleanly they were won.

For me, Larmour had a very good game. He's so dangerous from an attacking sense, we should be glad when we get the ball into his hands. But just to play devils advocate... for me, the biggest issue wasn't him not passing, but him not kicking.

While he had the highest metres made of any fullback this weekend, he also had the lowest metres kicked (from the 6 Nations site. It's possible these may be taken with a pinch of salt, but I think the overall sentiment is accurate):

| Metres | Metres kicked
    Larmour | 153 | 21
    Hogg | 60 | 154
    Halfpenny | 124 | 124
    Minozzi | 142 | 23
    Bouthier | 25 | 291
    Furbank | 31 | 107

As far as I can recall, there was certainly one incident where the ball was kicked to him inside the 22 (no one had retreated quickly enough, so there was no one to pass to) and he decided to run it, almost completely isolating himself.

He's plenty young to learn tho, and has huge potential. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more return kicking from him in remainder of the games. He's definitely done it before on attacking ball, when we shifted the point of the kick from Murray's box-kick so is well able.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,909 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

ROG was on OTB earlier. He wants Earls at 13 playing outside Aki.

Such an opinion should immediately discount him from ever having a job at a province.

Clegg wrote: »

Such an opinion should immediately discount him from ever having a job at a province.

ROG out

• Advertisement

This is an interesting interview. Lads did will, some tough and direct questions and they both gave good quality answers.

Some entertaining body language throughout.

Clegg wrote: »

I couldn't believe he said that. I usually hang off ogaras every word. I almost think he was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Rumoured team does not inspire confidence. That backrow simply doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

If that is the rumoured team it means that Farrell has learnt nothing or is unwilling to try things.

yes it was important to get a first win and now that has been secured he should be willing improve the team not continue with the stagnation

The two obvious players are:

Murray is clearly playing off a reputation which we all hope will return but at the moment he is not the best 9 in the country and should not be playing

POM I am sorry is a passenger and Wales will be delighted to see him playing as it is one less player their defence has to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Rumoured team does not inspire confidence. That backrow simply doesn't work.

De-evolution not revolution.

The problem here is the IRFU.

Fans want change but unfortunately the IRFU budgets to finish at least third every year so it means Farrell has to resort to the tried and tested for the most part as he needs results immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The problem here is the IRFU.

Fans want change but unfortunately the IRFU budgets to finish at least third every year so it means Farrell has to resort to the tried and tested for the most part as he needs results immediately.

We may only be keyboard warriors but its obvious to us that replacing players like Murray and POM would improve the team, so therefore would give us a better chance of winning and finishing higher up the table. Maybe when you are under pressure and in the hot seat you do become conservative and go for what has been there before despite it being inferior

kilns wrote: »
    We may only be keyboard warriors but its obvious to us that replacing players like Murray and POM would improve the team, so therefore would give us a better chance of winning and finishing higher up the table. Maybe when you are under pressure and in the hot seat you do become conservative and go for what has been there before despite it being inferior

Or, more likely imo, maybe he doesn't believe to be inferior? There's no way Farrell is willfully picking what he believes to be an inferior team.

In any case, a lot of the journo's got it wrong last week, so it's probably worth just waiting til the announcement; it wouldn't surprise me if it differs from the rumoured team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

kilns wrote: »

Based on what?

The other options play slightly better in a totally different set up at a lower level?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be dropped but let's not get completely ahead of ourselves in the armchair coaching.

Can you say with absolute supreme confidence that playing Deegan and Cooney will guarantee we play better?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but these absolutes with no basis on fact are a bit much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Was there ever any chance of certain people giving Farrell a fair shake?

It would appear not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement