Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Will Connors has been added to the Six Nations squad.

Baird, Baloucoune and Harry Byrne return to their provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Doris has to be out next week. Would be massively irresponsible to select him. Concerningly, that's the second time he's been badly knocked out this season.

Kilcoyne too. I'd be very surprised if either of them are involved next week which is a shame for both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    Kilcoyne too. I'd be very surprised if either of them are involved next week which is a shame for both of them.

Yeah. We'll miss them both badly. Could have really done with their carrying on Saturday.

Clegg wrote: »
    Will Connors has been added to the Six Nations squad.

Sure even my granny knows he has international standard written all over him, and she doesn't have a clue about rugby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Ringrose ruled out until round 4, that's a kick in the nads.

I presume Henshaw will come in at 13 which I don't like, we've seen Aki-Henshaw a number of times and it's never convinced me. I'd rather see Addison get a run at 13 (if he's fit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

Sure even my granny knows he has international standard written all over him, and she doesn't have a clue about rugby!

I'd imagine its just precautionary. Deegan versatile sub cover is in ahead of him for selection and VDF played out of his skin on Saturday despite what some posters on other websites would have you believe.

I'd imagine Farrell would have O'Mahony in at 7 before him as he also delivered on Saturday. The silent online campaign to have him included persists however.

I would hope Farrell has more bottle than to fold to people touting someone who hasn't even played Heineken Cup yet as international class.

I would also say Jack O Donoghue is ahead of him and a better 7.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,171 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

wow, what do you know... my granny (god bless her) also says he is international standard.

and hey, if we can find 13 other posters who have grannies who think the same, we would end up with 15 grannys ..... a full line up you might say.....

If we're reverting to POM, VDF and Stander in the backrow, Farrell absolutely has to pick cooney to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

If we're reverting to POM, VDF and Stander in the backrow, Farrell absolutely has to pick cooney to start

Agreed. The box kicking game with Murray won't work against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Ryan is a freak and Doris had one hell of an opening 4 minutes.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1224251174779609089?s=19

Would you look at how 'lazy' Henderson was. Some people just make up thoughtless crap. It speaks volumes about their actual thought processes....or rather...about their lack of anything approaching intelligence regarding the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Expecting an improved performance from the World Cup with largely the same team playing is naive - as soon as Doris went off and O'mahony went on that ruined any chance of Ireland playing any better than the world cup

That performance wont beat anyone else in the six nations bar Italy,

We need to get new life into this team thay all look jaded and stale - Ryan, Furlong and Henderson are nowhere near as dominant as they used to be, Healy has some awful body positions when carrying into contact, Peter O'mahony isnt a good enough option to be starting.

The pack has underperformed for over a year, they got blitzed by Japan in contact and at the ruck in the WC, and had a dogfight with a massively underpowered Scottish pack,

I cant see us turning it around until we have new players in the squad like, JOD, Deegan, Doris (inury is unfortunate), Connors etc the longer it takes to get these guys international exposure ....the longer it will take to turn this forward pack around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Time and time again that back row has proven that it doesnt work. You have one guy doing most of the carrying, one guy playing as a 7 but the game plan doesnt suit his carrying abilities and then there is one guy who has no carrying threat and thinks he is a 7 also but an inferior one to the one wearing the 7 jersey.

we desperately need balance there and its a pity Dorris got injured so early

Has it been commented on that Murray was boo'ed coming off?

I wasn't there and didn't pick up on it on the TV, but two people I know who were there in separate parts of the stands both said he was audibly boo'ed.

And they weren't saying booerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ringrose has been retained so Farrell obviously expects him to be ready for round 4. It's poxy luck as I think we saw some new attacking patterns with Ringrose being at its creative centre.

With the inclusion of Connors there's actually a lot of young forwards in the squad. Deegan, Doris, Connors, Kelleher and Tom O'Toole are all 23 or younger and new to the squad. Goes against the narrative that it's the same old faces all the time. They'll get their chance soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭easy peasy

I wasn't there and didn't pick up on it on the TV, but two people I know who were there in separate parts of the stands both said he was audibly boo'ed.

I was there and I didn't hear any booing whatsoever.

Although the crowd was generally happy to see Cooney coming on and I think the roar was more directed at Cooney going on and not at Murray coming off.

Maybe my head is in the sand, but i've been at over 100 games at Lansdowne road and I can't recall an Irish player being booed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

kilns wrote: »
    Time and time again that back row has proven that it doesnt work. You have one guy doing most of the carrying, one guy playing as a 7 but the game plan doesnt suit his carrying abilities and then there is one guy who has no carrying threat and thinks he is a 7 also but an inferior one to the one wearing the 7 jersey.

we desperately need balance there and its a pity Dorris got injured so early
    If you're referring to JvdF, he spent a lot of time out on the wing for his carrying abilities and pitting him against wings that would struggle to contain him. Unfortunately some of the plays that were designed to bring him into the game, broke down before the ball got to him. He only got to carry three times iirc, but made good yardage with each one. Otherwise I agree. Will Connors or Max Deegan may get the nod if Doris doesn't recover in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

BOOOO-ney

I didn't hear anything of the sort though

If it happened...and I doubt it, how do these reporters know ..
    a) That the 'boos' were for Murray and not that useless referee or for some other reason....

or

b) that they were booing because he was being taken off?

c) because the team were playing like sewerage.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Cooney received a big cheer when he came on but there was no booing for Murray from where I was in the stadium.

Ringrose has been retained so Farrell obviously expects him to be ready for round 4. It's poxy luck as I think we saw some new attacking patterns with Ringrose being at its creative centre.

With the inclusion of Connors there's actually a lot of young forwards in the squad. Deegan, Doris, Connors, Kelleher and Tom O'Toole are all 23 or younger and new to the squad. Goes against the narrative that it's the same old faces all the time. They'll get their chance soon.

Tom O'Toole is in no way ready for international rugby. His scrummaging is still that of a novice. It's mad that he is there ahead of Marty Moore.

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    If it happened...and I doubt it, how do these reporters know ..
    a) That the 'boos' were for Murray and not that useless referee or for some other reason....

or

b) that they were booing because he was being taken off?

c) because the team were playing like sewerage.

It wasn't reported. A friend who was at the game and a work colleague both separately said they heard booing, they were certain and have zero reason to lie about it.

It wouldn't have gone unreported if it was widespread, but one of the above two said when it happened he was certain it would be the talking point after that game.

Not stirring anything here, am legitimately surprised it happened.

It wasn't reported. A friend who was at the game and a work colleague both separately said they heard booing, they were certain and have zero reason to lie about it.

It wouldn't have gone unreported if it was widespread, but one of the above two said when it happened he was certain it would be the talking point after that game.

I was using the term in that they reported the story to you. How the hell would they know why people might make any disparaging sounds at all? Are they psychic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I don’t go to that many internationals anymore but my experience is the number of event goers rather than genuine rugby supporters dramatically increased over the last decade or so.

I wanted Cooney on too but anyone who booed Murray is an absolute clown.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,171 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i know loads of people who went to that game, and would have been sat in different areas around the pitch and there was no reporting of any player being booed.

plenty showing dissatisfaction with the ref though.

So could it have been a case of 2 + 2 = 157

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Where were they sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

No booing where I was sitting.

Possibly the roar of COO-ney by a few was misheard.

I remember at Leinster games in past a couple of friends I'd bring to their first game would afterwards mention they were puzzled by "booing" they had heard. It was LUUUUUUKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

prawnsambo wrote: »
    If you're referring to JvdF, he spent a lot of time out on the wing for his carrying abilities and pitting him against wings that would struggle to contain him. Unfortunately some of the plays that were designed to bring him into the game, broke down before the ball got to him. He only got to carry three times iirc, but made good yardage with each one. Otherwise I agree. Will Connors or Max Deegan may get the nod if Doris doesn't recover in time.

Exactly, he is a very effective carrier for Leinster, so he has it in his game also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

kilns wrote: »
    Exactly, he is a very effective carrier for Leinster, so he has it in his game also

VDF employs the very effective carry of stepping inside the tackler at first receiver. It's been a real trait of Hugh Hogan as contact skills coach. Will Connors, Ross Molony and James Tracy are also very adept at it too.

It's a great way of forcing the tackler to go lower and get over the gainline and benefit of quick ball.

Not sure how effective the tactic translates to international though. You rarely see the first receivers actively step inside their tackler unless they've been forced back inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I talked to 3 people who attended the game, they heard nothing. Two was at one end and the other at the other end. They where in groups and none of them heard booing......

As mentioned above, I remember everyone complaining about Leinster fans booing, normally on sky.....they didnt understand the LLLUUUUUKKKKKEEE chat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

With team being named on Tuesday instead of Thursday is it likely that any players with niggles wont be names as given less time to recover? Know 48 hours might not make a huge difference but still

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement