Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fair enough. Those numbers look very high to me. 55m for James Ryan, 89m for Aki? Don't see it at all.

Edit - I'm calling shenanigans on these figures. If you add up the Ireland metres gained you're over 700 which is a mad number.

After 60 minutes ITV showed us as having 535m made, I think Scotland was about 370m at that point. We had 60% possession too, although it didn’t feel like it at all. We did have a good few line breaks though, even though we didn’t finish them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Lots of positives from yesterday, particularly in the attacking shape we were trying to use. Looking to attack wide quickly and not everything going through Sexton. Think we’ll open up a few teams once the players get a bit of confidence in the system and it looked a lot like how Leinster try to attack. We’ll need quicker ruck ball and a snapper SH though if that’s the way he wants to play. Thought Cooney’s passing was very sharp when he came on and he did brilliantly identifying space with his kicks as well.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

stephen_n wrote: »
    After 60 minutes ITV showed us as having 535m made, I think Scotland was about 370m at that point. We had 60% possession too, although it didn’t feel like it at all. We did have a good few line breaks though, even though we didn’t finish them off.

They've just showed France at nearly 300m after 25 minutes. I don't believe it.

Doesn’t take much to carry a total of 300m though, one run from 22 to 22 is 56m the run in for the second try was 40m

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They'd 54 carries in the first half and multiple offloads to keep the carries alive. I'd well believe it, they were going end to end in phases no bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The French physicality is scary. Their defence in close has been exceptional also. We'll have it right up against us when we play them.

Ringrose out for the next two games. Could be worse I suppose.

https://www.the42.ie/garry-ringrose-hand-injury-4989569-Feb2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Interesting how a team like France can bring in new coaches, a rake of new players, in a short time frame, and manage to revitalise their style of play to produce success.

Interesting how a team like France can bring in new coaches, a rake of new players, in a short time frame, and manage to revitalise their style of play to produce success.

On the turn side, England were all over the place and lacked intensity. Jones promised brutality but I didn't see anything from England that would qualify.

Scotland on the other hand were making massive hits all day yesterday.

France are often at their best when they change coaches, they've loads of talent but teams gradually start to figure them out and neutralise them and France often fail to adapt their style to stay ahead of the pack.

They could lose to Italy next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Clegg wrote: »
    Ringrose out for the next two games. Could be worse I suppose.

https://www.the42.ie/garry-ringrose-hand-injury-4989569-Feb2020/

It's so frustrating though. One of our biggest difference makers but he seems to get some really unfortunate injuries timing wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

England are a shadow of themselves without Billly V. They are even less of a team without the brother and then you put a young fella At 15 On debut in Paris you are Asking for trouble.

Big day for French rugby. Well done. The start of something great i think.

Interesting how Ireland can change coaching tickets, bring in new players and win yet be viewed completely differently by some people.

Interesting how Ireland can change coaching tickets, bring in new players and win yet be viewed completely differently by some people.

France were playing the World Cup runners up, we were playing a second tier nation masquerading as a first.

This is not a very good comparison. We brought in a new player (single, Doris) and we won in a far less convincing manner against a much much worse team.

Edit - that's not to say the French approach is really what we should be taking either, since they won the Slam in 2010 they've been all over the place. That includes them making the RWC final in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I think some fans will find any reason to shoot down ireland

It’s one game, completely different circumstances. Different teams, different weather, different ref

Maybe make a comparison at the end of the tournament but for now its completely irrelevant

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think some fans will find any reason to shoot down ireland

It’s one game, completely different circumstances. Different teams, different weather, different ref

Maybe make a comparison at the end of the tournament but for now its completely irrelevant

You've been saying "it's one game" after every game. It is not one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You've been saying "it's one game" after every game. It is not one game.

After every game? they only have played one game?

This is not a very good comparison. We brought in a new player (single, Doris) and we won in a far less convincing manner against a much much worse team.

Edit - that's not to say the French approach is really what we should be taking either, since they won the Slam in 2010 they've been all over the place. That includes them making the RWC final in 2011.

Brought in two to the 23 had another on a First Nations start. Not as many as the French no. I wouldn’t say in the end the French win was very convincing either. Their defence seemed to fall apart in the second half, their lineout was a mess and scrum was destroyed in the second half. England were pretty poor today, by their standards. Can’t remember for sure but I think that French try in the second half was their only meaningful entry into the English half.

Brought in two to the 23 had another on a First Nations start. Not as many as the French no. I wouldn’t say in the end the French win was very convincing either. Their defence seemed to fall apart in the second half, their lineout was a mess and scrum was destroyed in the second half. England were pretty poor today, by their standards. Can’t remember for sure but I think that French try in the second half was their only meaningful entry into the English half.

The French bench is their biggest Issue. The scrum fell apart when the new props came on and the lineout was iffy. They are not convincing alright, but with so many young players and their defense a hell of a lot better they are on the right path no doubt.

They can learn a lot of lessons from today about game management at this level, and if it wasn’t for Johnny May england might never have scored.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The new props have more experience than the starters and have not been found lacking before.
    The second row situation is pretty dire. It seemed like the changes there coincided with the scrum going to bits, or else Kruis and Genge were making headway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The new props have more experience than the starters and have not been found lacking before.
    The second row situation is pretty dire. It seemed like the changes there coincided with the scrum going to bits, or else Kruis and Genge were making headway.

Bamba's probably one of the best French props when it comes to scrummaging. Poirot's no slouch either. England's subs were just much bigger and added to the size of the pack (with Ludlam and Kruis as well as Genge coming on and dominating).

England were lucky not to get a YC as well. Genge would have got one from plenty of other refs and the hit on the ground when France scored a try should have been sanctioned. M

Farrell's post match interview was a bit awkward if I'm honest. Seemed fairly anxious, almost a little rattled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Poirot's no slouch.
    True. Poirot's a sleuth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Winning your first game, in the six nations, at start of a new cycle, even if it was tight and against scotland, is a very good outcome. I think it's more important that there is sustainable improvement over one or two years, than what the present level is. They have something to build on now, a loss would have been chaos.

I thought Doris looked very good for four minutes, I was itching for him to get ball but they just took a battering from the first minute. disappointed that it ended so quick for him.

Hogg's entire career against Ireland is a continuing nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Is Doris out for next week? If so, Deegan has to come straight in, we cant afford POM in that pack next week

Murray too needs to be dropped, we are so slow and predicatable with him there and he gives defences chances to reset all the time

The front 5 derserve another go but they really need to tighten up in the scrum and their maul work which was disappointing

and as for the stupid penalties, they need to stop, its what differentiated Ireland from the other teams their strict discipline. I remember Murray and POM giving absolutly stupid penalties away during that game both in deep Scottish territory, giving Scotland easy outs (dont mean to pick on Murray and POM)

Doris has to be out next week. Would be massively irresponsible to select him. Concerningly, that's the second time he's been badly knocked out this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Really sick of that team of us slogan vodafone have.

Stop acting like we're all the same when the average man is priced out of a ticket to an international.

Ryan is a freak and Doris had one hell of an opening 4 minutes.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1224251174779609089?s=19

• Advertisement

Doris also had a breakdown steal/won a penalty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement