Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Eod100 wrote: »
    With team being named on Tuesday instead of Thursday is it likely that any players with niggles wont be names as given less time to recover? Know 48 hours might not make a huge difference but still

Joe used to select his teams on Tuesdays and tell the players but only release them to the media on Thursdays. Or so the story goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    No booing where I was sitting.

I remember at Leinster games in past a couple of friends I'd bring to their first game would afterwards mention they were puzzled by "booing" they had heard. It was LUUUUUUKE!

Was there and didn't hear anything.
    If there was, if was probably just Muuuuuurrrrrrrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

I'm not surprised the scrum struggled. Fogarty is a massive downgrade on Greg Feek as scrum coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm not surprised the scrum struggled. Fogarty is a massive downgrade on Greg Feek as scrum coach.
    Leinster scrum never had problems with Fogarty in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope Addison or Farrell get a run this week. It's a pity Ringrose got injured, the centers were really coming into the game and finding space.
    Healy needs to perform! The scrum must improve or we'll struggle this week.
    Kilcoyne is unlucky, I expect he will miss out this week. Jack McGrath will come in. I guess many expected a cakewalk on Saturday and were shocked that Scotland put it to us. I wasn't surprised as we were shockingly poor in recent time. That said, this week is an opportunity to bed some new plays and maybe a couple of different players.
    I'd go with:
    1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Porter. See what he can do!
    4. Hendo
    5. Ryan.
    6 Stander.
    7. VDF.
    8. Deegan.
    9. Cooney.
    10. Sexton
    11. Stockdale
    12. Aki.
    13. Addison/ Farrell.
    14. Conway.
    15. Larmour.

16. Kelleher
    17. Jack.
    18. Furlong
    19. Dillane.
    20. POM/ JOD
    21. Luke. Why not?
    22. RB
    23. Henshaw.

I reckon if JOD were to start he would beat 6 with Standet at 8. This could be a decent back row. If Deegan starts, it must be at 8. He's not a 6.
    We all know what Murray does! Why not bring in a younger faster sub? Luke can really up the pace and is capable of creating line breaks off the base of rucks.
    I hope to see Conway and Stockdale given more plays. Using both of them as strike runners could open gaps and get us forward momentum.
    Like Murray , we all know Toner and what he does. He's earned his recall, but I would mix it up by using Dillane.
    Dillane can be explosive and he is becoming a line out threat.
    It will be a tough outing but we can win. The 6nations is wide open now! Anyone could win, but I reckon Wales would be the favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The Scottish scrum caught them by surprise as well, they have typically just gotten the Ball out as fast as possible but they seemed to target Ireland on saturday.

I think Cian Healy has really dipped in form, he went off the boil before but came back very strongly but I think it’s dipping again. His carries are nowhere near as good as killers have been Lately but he was typically a better scrummager. He was spent the last day after 50 minutes and when he had to come back on it was way to much. Be interesting to see If he keeps his place for the entire competition.

Good chance that killer won’t make next week also so presumably the Ulster lad will bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Healy has been great for Leinster this season, 1 poor game doesnt mean he's dipped in form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

O'Toole's a TH - it'll be McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Is Killer injured?

Who is 4th choice LH?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Is Killer injured?

Who is 4th choice LH?

Right after coming on he got knocked out and had to go straight off. He shouldn't play this weekend for his own health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Right after coming on he got knocked out and had to go straight off. He shouldn't play this weekend for his own health.

cheers - i totally missed that in the game...the joys of trying to watching the game and mind the kids...

AdamD wrote: »
    Healy has been great for Leinster this season, 1 poor game doesnt mean he's dipped in form.

His game has dropped off a noticeable amount from last years 6 nations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,168 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

His game has dropped off a noticeable amount from last years 6 nations.

apart from all the leinster games in which he has been exceptional since then

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Leinster scrum never had problems with Fogarty in charge.

Maybe watch the away Bath match from '15/'16 again.

There seems to be a lack of cohesion and control in what a Fogarty-coached scrum does.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There seems to be a lack of cohesion and control in what a Fogarty-coached scrum does.

A match from 4 or 5 years ago?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    apart from all the leinster games in which he has been exceptional since then

That’s a massive overstatement, he is not as effective the player he was the season before, but it’s hardly a surprise that you got that wrong as you had Ireland beating Scotland off the pitch the last day when that was never going to happen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That’s a massive overstatement, he is not as effective the player he was the season before, but it’s hardly a surprise that you got that wrong as you had Ireland beating Scotland off the pitch the last day when that was never going to happen.

Mod: User taking a break from the forum for persistent infringements. Let this be a warning to everyone else. Zero tolerance policy is in force.
    No need to respond to the post above.

A lot of players have big question marks over them. Healy looks a shadow of his former self. He's not having any impact in high level games.

For all the hype - best player in Ireland, etc. - van der Flier is unremarkable, generally speaking, at this level.

Conway to me is a provincial level player playing above himself. He's good in a defensive sense at defusing opposition cross-kicks, and excellent at contesting for box-kicks, but that's a diminishing return with teams allowed to use blockers.

I'm not convinced by Larmour at all at fullback. He should be considered for selection on the left wing imo. He's not good enough defensively for 14. Probably stick him at 23 for impact. Fullback's a bit of a problem position with the other option, Addison, being quite loose and prone to turning the ball over.

It's a pity Tom Farrell isn't in the squad to come in for Ringrose.

A match from 4 or 5 years ago?

That's when he was Leinster scrum coach without Lancaster to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larmour's performance was one of the big positives. It's clear he has a lot of work to do with his decision making. He ran almost everything and at times it was to the teams detriment. He needed to kick more than he did. Some of that must be down to team orders. He kicks a lot more with Leinster.

But it's obvious that the Scots were extremely cagey around kicking to him for fear of his counter attacking threat. And when he actually did get the ball he ran well with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

For all the hype - best player in Ireland, etc. - van der Flier is unremarkable, generally speaking, at this level.

Clearly you have forgotten about his virtuoso display against Scotland in February 2017.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's when he was Leinster scrum coach without Lancaster to help him.

Is there anything Lancaster doesn't do at Leinster in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Podge_irl wrote: »

PR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

With Wales in good form, and having to go away to England and France could be a tough old tournament. Think 3 home wins and 1 away win would be very good under the circumstances but Wales could be tough to break down. Guess post RWC things see always bit on flux

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Podge_irl wrote: »

There are strong rumours surging around Ravenhill that Leinster are trying to tempt Ethel southwards as apparently Lancaster can't make a decent cuppa and insists on making the tea with Tetley's which, as everyone knows, is shyte. Ethel wouldn't be seen dead with that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jacothelad wrote: »
    There are strong rumours surging around Ravenhill that Leinster are trying to tempt Ethel southwards as apparently Lancaster can't make a decent cuppa and insists on making the tea with Tetley's which, as everyone knows, is shyte. Ethel wouldn't be seen dead with that rubbish.

Not sure she’d be comfortable in the chaos anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,315 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So one match 4 years ago and Fogarty is no good? Yet somehow has managed to fool everybody including Andy Farrell. I think I'll stick with the people who are paid to know what a good scrum coach should look like thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thisonedone

DOC thinks Rory Bests absence from the scrum is the reason why it has gone to pot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Interesting how a team like France can bring in new coaches, a rake of new players, in a short time frame, and manage to revitalise their style of play to produce success.

I think it's constantly underestimated how much talent is in France, they should be able to field two international teams at Ireland's level. They are the most underperforming team I've ever seen for the last 9 years.

The fact that they get it right occasionally is not as surprising as how bad they often are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Clegg wrote: »
    Larmour's performance was one of the big positives. It's clear he has a lot of work to do with his decision making. He ran almost everything and at times it was to the teams detriment. He needed to kick more than he did. Some of that must be down to team orders. He kicks a lot more with Leinster.

But it's obvious that the Scots were extremely cagey around kicking to him for fear of his counter attacking threat. And when he actually did get the ball he ran well with it.

Mmm. Looked like Kearney Mark 2 to me. Never even looked like passing once. Could have tried something else once or twice even, eg, Stockdale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement