Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

stephen_n wrote: »
    Amazed Kilcoyne made it, he was completely out of it, even more than Doris it seemed.

It says Jack Mcgrath on stand by

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Also, WTF is Kilcoyne doing in the 23.

KBurke85 wrote: »
    What would your XV be?

Cooney for Murray

Deegan at 8, Stander at 6

Addison (if fit) at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Considering the knock Kilcoyne got and how he crumbled to the floor after trying to get to his feet I'm extremely surprised he's on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,901 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris has been knocked out before and rather recently iirc. Could be erring on the side of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

kilns wrote: »
    It says Jack Mcgrath on stand by

If you need a player on standby when another going through RTPP then that’s alarming in itself in my opinion.

Put Kilcoyne away for this weekend. He got a nasty bang and it’s surprises me that he’s listed here.

Faugheen wrote: »
    If you need a player on standby when another going through RTPP then that’s alarming in itself in my opinion.

Put Kilcoyne away for this weekend. He got a nasty bang and it’s surprises me that he’s listed here.

It irresponsible to be naming him on the bench even if he does clear the protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Faugheen wrote: »

The return to play protocols take a few days. If you fail any stage of it you're back to the start.

Presumably McGrath is on standby in the case that Killer fails any of the stages of the GRTP

I also assume that means Doris is still on the first or second stage of his

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

It irresponsible to be naming him on the bench even if he does clear the protocols

No it’s not. If he’s passed all of the HIAs then there’s nothing irresponsible about it.

Kevski wrote: »
    No it’s not. If he’s passed all of the HIAs then there’s nothing irresponsible about it.

God forbid a medically trained professional made the type of call they've been educated for years to make and paid a lot of money to do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Healy, Herring, Furlong
    Henderson, Ryan,
    O'Mahony, Stander, Van der Flier,
    Murray, Sexton,
    Stockdale, Aki, Henshaw, Conway,
    Larmour.

Kelleher, Kilcoyne, Porter, Toner, Deegan, Cooney, Byrne, Earls.

Basically allowing for the few injuries, nothing has changed, everyone has retained their spot from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭OldRio

An awful feeling of 'deja Vu'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

OldRio wrote: »
    An awful feeling of 'deja Vu'
    If that includes winning again, I'm all for it. ;)

Farrells first game people were optimistic seeing Dorris being picked and some new guys in the extended squad but what a kick in the teeth for supporters to see this team. As a supporter its very hard to get excited about this team

Farrells first game people were optimistic seeing Dorris being picked and some new guys in the extended squad but what a kick in the teeth for supporters to see this team. As a supporter its very hard to get excited about this team

Cheer for someone else so?

Bizarrely entitled comment.

New coach same team.

#justiceforjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Great to see PoM back where he belongs after his fantastic performance last Saturday. Onwards and upwards

Cheer for someone else so?

Bizarrely entitled comment.

I will always cheer for Ireland but for supporters who have witnessed the decline of this team over the last 12 months, they need to be given hope that change is coming. I think Farrell will eventually bring it but he is not endearing himself to vast majority of supporters by continuing with guys like Murray and POM who clearly are out of form and others more worthy of their chance in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Great to see PoM back where he belongs after his fantastic performance last Saturday. Onwards and upwards

Personally I think it's a disgrace that we even bother naming Van Der Flier in the team. Surely PoM can cover 6 & 7 and we can stick in Earls to help the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

daddy pig wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a disgrace that we even bother naming Van Der Flier in the team. Surely PoM can cover 6 & 7 and we can stick in Earls to help the backs.

Yeah VDF seems a bit lightweight for International rugby. Does a good job for Leinster but not sure he's really stepped up yet. Fingers crossed on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I will always cheer for Ireland but for supporters who have witnessed the decline of this team over the last 12 months, they need to be given hope that change is coming. I think Farrell will eventually bring it but he is not endearing himself to vast majority of supporters by continuing with guys like Murray and POM who clearly are out of form and others more worthy of their chance in the team

His job isnt to endear himself to the fans, who in the main are quite frankly people with a fraction of the knowledge of the game that he and his employers have. POM actually played well last week so I'd argue he is out of form at this stage. My issue is that I dont think that back row is great going forward. But with Conan, Leavy and Doris all injured we've got to expect that. Deegan has skills but I'm not sure hes ready for this level yet.

moritz1234 wrote: »

you need to troll better than that to get reactions

I see we've found s new way of deflecting from POM's mediocre form.

molloyjh wrote: »
    His job isnt to endear himself to the fans, who in the main are quite frankly people with a fraction of the knowledge of the game that he and his employers have. POM actually played well last week so I'd argue he is out of form at this stage. My issue is that I dont think that back row is great going forward. But with Conan, Leavy and Doris all injured we've got to expect that. Deegan has skills but I'm not sure hes ready for this level yet.

How do you quantify POM playing well last week? His carries were non existent, he had one turnover, his tackle count was almost half of the other back rowers and second rowers (he had 10 Cooney had 8 for the time he was on the pitch). In addition he gave away a stupid penalty that most likely would have led to an Irish try

You are right in saying our back row is not great going forward and that is exactly the point, we know we have that problem yet we pick a guy who we know offers zero going forward as opposed to a young player playing well for the best club team in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What did POM do so well last week, exactly. Iirc, he had the same number of turnovers in 75mins that Doris had in 4.

Team selected is muck, same failed selections that we've seen for 2 seasons. Wales will be estatic at the prospect of gang tackling Stander behind the gain line. Murray is the best help a defensive coach could dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Very dissapointing team, it seems it will take a embarrasing defeat before He'll change the team,n think we'll struggle to beat Wales with that team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Very dissapointing team, it seems it will take a embarrasing defeat before He'll change the team,n think we'll struggle to beat Wales with that team

If the team didn't change after the embarrassments against England, Wales, Japan and NZ, I can't imagine what it would actually take

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

How do you quantify POM playing well last week? His carries were non existent, he had one turnover, his tackle count was almost half of the other back rowers and second rowers (he had 10 Cooney had 8 for the time he was on the pitch)

You are right in saying our back row is not great going forward and that is exactly the point, we know we have that problem yet we pick a guy who we know offers zero going forward as opposed to a young player playing well for the best club team in Europe.

At this point Deegan is 3rd choice 8 at Leinster. I dont think hes ready to start against Wales. Like I said, he has the skills, but he doesnt have the physicality or the brains of Doris. That would get us the sum total of nowhere at all against a very abrasive Welsh side. We have to except that when we are down 3 international level ball carriers then our ball carrying will suffer. Simple as. The solution to that is to find the best back row at this level, not chance your arm on a guy you dont think is ready to start.

At this point Deegan is 3rd choice 8 at Leinster. I dont think hes ready to start against Wales. Like I said, he has the skills, but he doesnt have the physicality or the brains of Doris. That would get us the sum total of nowhere at all against a very abrasive Welsh side. We have to except that when we are down 3 international level ball carriers then our ball carrying will suffer. Simple as. The solution to that is to find the best back row at this level, not chance your arm on a guy you dont think is ready to start.

and yet how many time have POM CJ and VDF played together and have proven that they dont work together. If its broke dont bother fixing it

The funny thing is yes he may not be fully ready but you wont know until you put these guys in and even being not fully ready he will offer more than POM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Farrell has selected the same team that I probably would if I was in his position i.e. gone with the safe option where possible.

As a fan though, I'd have liked to see Deegan get a start and hopefully see what what we expected last week when Doris was included.

I'd understand keeping Murray if he had gone with Deegan but I feel the opportunity to start Cooney is gone now. There's no chance now of him starting in Twickenham if he didn't get the start in one of the home games. He'll get his start against Italy but no matter what the performance is like, it can be written off given the opposition.

Other than that, I'm not sure where else I'd make any changes given the injury to Ringrose. Possibly start Porter, but that's about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement