Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

For those of you who don't venture into the Bargain Alerts forum....Elverys are selling the current Irish jersey for 35 quid at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

For those of you who don't venture into the Bargain Alerts forum....Elverys are selling the current Irish jersey for 35 quid at the moment

I think it’s the phone jersey? Can’t bring myself to buy a phone jersey.
    Did you see the RWC one on sale?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just put all the stats from this article together:

| VdF | Stander | Deegan | Doris | JOD | POM
    Minutes | | 989 | 889 | 743 | |
    Tackle Success | 94% | | 87.3% | 96% | 88.4% | 87.7%
    Jackals | 6 | 4 | 0 | 6 | | 8
    Lineout Jumps / Won | 1 | 11 | 19 | 16 | | 28
    Lineout Steals | | | | | 3 | 10
    Linebreaks | 8 | | 12 | 5 | 9 | 1
    Carries | | 225 | 130 | 117 | |
    Metres/Carry | | 1.8 | | 3.5 | 2.4 | 1.48
    Passes | | 55 | 27 | 18 | |
    Offloads | | 8 | 2 | 4 | |
    Defenders Beaten | | | 24 | 31 | 14 | 6
    Try Assists | | |4 | |
    Penalties Conceded | | | | | 19 | 11

Alot of it tells us what we already knew, but the surprising one for me was Standers passing and offloading stats.

It's a shame the complete set isn't there; the metrics could then also be converted to "per 80 mins" for an even better comparison.

Scotland have named their team:

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg (c), 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Sam Johnson, 11 Blair Kinghorn, 10 Adam Hastings, 9 Ali Price, 8 Nick Haining, 7 Hamish Watson, 6 Jamie Ritchie, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Scott Cummings, 3 Zander Fagerson, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Rory Sutherland

Replacements: 16 Stuart McInally, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Simon Berghan, 19 Ben Toolis, 20 Cornell du Preez, 21 George Horne, 22 Rory Hutchinson, 23 Chris Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

I know very little about their NO.8 but it appears he's a bit of a journeyman from the Southern Hemisphere. hasn't played much at a top level. doesn't look the strongest Scotland team we've faced.

Good for Doris to be coming up against a newcomer not a Vunipola

• Advertisement

I'm going to go with a conservative 47 - 10 to Ireland.

We will dominate the scrum for 80 minutes and they have Edinburgh's third choice 8 at the back which means even their own put in's could end up messy.

Their 10 and 12 channel are vulnerable.

They've some real unknowns coming off the bench.

They've one of the best back three's in the tournament on paper but they'll need to find scores from counter attacking rugby because I don't see that pack having any parity against ours.

Big question whether Townsend has the dressing room. He has the look of someone who is awaiting the inevitable and probably would be glad to get out of Scottish rugby for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Sexton is absolutely, 100% targeted. Yes he brings the ball to the line, just opening himself up to it, but there is many a slightly late hit where the tackler would have pulled out had it not been Sexton carrying the ball. That's just how it is.

Every half decent 10 or 9 is targeted. They handle the ball the most and direct a teams play so of course the opposition tries to rattle them. It's not just Sexton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

aloooof wrote: »

Try Assists | | |4 | |

Alot of it tells us what we already knew, but the surprising one for me was Standers passing and offloading stats.

It's a shame the complete set isn't there; the metrics could then also be converted to "per 80 mins" for an even better comparison.

Nonsense stats.
    CJ Stander dosn't know how to pass...

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Every half decent 10 or 9 is targeted. They handle the ball the most and direct a teams play so of course the opposition tries to rattle them. It's not just Sexton.

the same degree of targeting is correct for every team, however our 9 and 10 come off the pitch more often than the counterparts on other teams or at least that's the impression I get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

typhoony wrote: »
    the same degree of targeting is correct for every team, however our 9 and 10 come off the pitch more often than the counterparts on other teams or at least that's the impression I get.

This isn't the impression I have for 9, at least; Schmidt was regularly criticised for only giving the backup 9's a cursory 5 minutes at the end.

With regards 10, Sexton came off early against Scotland in last years 6 Nations, but other than that, I'm struggling to think of the next most recent game where he was subbed of early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

aloooof wrote: »

Try Assists | | |4 | |

https://twitter.com/threeredkings/status/1104835501046026243

Fear not lads

D'Arcy has had coffee with Andy.

"I’ve had a coffee with the new Ireland coach. The intensity people speak about is real. He commands respect. The players will trust his initial ideas. Farrell is not a great coach yet. That can only come with results as the number one. But the necessary character traits are evident.

What will make Farrell a success as Ireland head coach is delivering on all the small conversations he has had with players. And empowering them when he says he will. That’s how you get professional athletes to deliver for a team."

Slam is in the bag.

& i forgot. He names his teams early.
    So the WC and all is wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is anybody open to entertaining the idea that Scotland could win?

Not a chance.
    Ireland will take them to the cleaners.
    27 v 3 in WC
    13 v 22 in 6N

30+ v 7? 10 maybe

Not a chance.
    27 v 3 in WC
    13 v 22 in 6N

30+ v 7? 10 maybe

No hope whatsoever? Not even if we play terrible and they play well? Not a chance?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No hope whatsoever? Not even if we play terrible and they play well? Not a chance?

scotland are avail;be as long as 7/1 in some outlets

so thats the chance that the bookies are giving them

Not a chance

Did you not read the other moron in the STimes?
    Farrell has named the team early. There is no uncertainty anymore. Players won’t be nervous anymore or on edge.

Ireland will unleash with abandon from here on

We're gonna win the world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not a chance

Farrell has named the team early. There is no uncertainty anymore. Players won’t be nervous anymore or on edge.
    Joe used pick the team on Tuesdays. He just wouldn't release it until Thursday (for Saturday games). That's been well known for ages. And why the selection would inevitably leak.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    scotland are avail;be as long as 7/1 in some outlets

so thats the chance that the bookies are giving them

And what do they think the handicap will come in at?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

And what do they think the handicap will come in at?

-13 to Ireland.

Which I think we will cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not a chance

Ireland will unleash with abandon from here on

Joe names the team on Tuesday and didn’t want it released

Problem was come Wednesday every paper had the team and would announce it anyway, became a bit pointless but he stuck to his guns on it

The only benefit they are saying is players won’t have to hide it but based on the speed the media got the team I don’t think many ever hide it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not a chance.
    27 v 3 in WC
    13 v 22 in 6N

30+ v 7? 10 maybe

I haven’t seen such confidence since before the Japan game

I think I seen posts on here about AIL teams beating Japan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Scotland have only beaten Ireland 3 times in the last 20 years. They have been in far better places than now in that time span. It’s Rugby of course there’s a chance they can win, it’s just a very slim one. The bigger question is what type of performance we put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He cited O'Brien and Leamy as the sort of guys that he played with who had the mean streak that he thinks is lacking. I think he's right to be honest.

Success without integrity means nothing. Your meanness doesnt make you a better man. Your behavior does. Integrity is how you behave when there’s nothing to be gained. We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Success without integrity means nothing. Your meanness doesnt make you a better man. Your behavior does. Integrity is how you behave when there’s nothing to be gained. We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

Profound. Empowering.

Thank you.

He didn't really though. He was more talking about the lack of a really physical hard edge in the pack, about not taking a backward step more than going out trying to be dirty.

He cited O'Brien and Leamy as the sort of guys that he played with who had the mean streak that he thinks is lacking. I think he's right to be honest.

But the game has changed in the last 10 years, he gave the current South African team as an example, I think it's more their size and power that's makes them intimidating not the dog mentality. the dogs get fined these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

#stunningandbrave

Naw, it’s about results.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    -13 to Ireland.

Which I think we will cover

Early sexton injury, Murray plays poorly, debutant at 8 gets put under pressure, bungee gets another card, line out malfunctions.

One or a combination of the above and Scotland playing like it’s the second half against England all over again.

Plenty of overconfidence here for a side whose last outing was a complete pasting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement