Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Have to say, Scotland completely took us by surprise. The pace they moved the ball with, and held on to possession when doing it was superb. They looked organised, and they were dogged in defence. Made things a real battle.

Our scrum was poor, our offensive maul was poor, we started well moving it through the hands but started to revert to one out carries and our back three didn't compete at all under the box kicks, which were decent kicks regardless of what people will say.

Backrow was phenomenal, CJ and Josh were on top form, and POM should have silenced some critics with some of the turnovers that saved our arse.

Feel sorry for Doris, hope he's alright. Same goes for Killer, wasn't great witnessing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

Andy didn't seem to be mic'd up. Interesting contrast to Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Next week looking very difficult now, in fact we'll do well to win more than one more game given the performance level today and the injuries sustained.

Worrying to see Healy struggle badly against a fairly average prop like Fagerson, but with Kilcoyne out now he will need to be kept on. I'd probably look at a different option than POM in the back row, again Doris' injury is a problem if it rules him out next week.

And it almost goes without saying that Cooney should be starting but it also goes without saying that he won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If we play like that against Wales, England or France we will be well
    Beaten.

Fair play to Finn Russell and Hogg, they did us huge favours today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Very different to Schmidt's Ireland. We attacked more from deep, allowed our centres do more than truck it up with Aki and Ringrose linking well together. We also showed some invention in the opposition 22. Really liked that strike play for Sexton's try. In the second half our defence was excellent once we sorted the line speed.

But the same failings from 2019 are still there. The front five looks underpowered and now the set piece is creaking too. In 2018, we won everything due to a dominant set piece, pack and half backs who controlled the game. We've none of that now.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Scotland pack is weak IMO. Ireland to dominate up front with more genuine ball carriers meaning teams can no longer target Stander.

Ireland by 20
    Doris to be MOTM.
    Cooney to come on around the 55-60 mark and score
    Adam Hastings to have nightmares all next week about a red scrum cap

You were close.

Not a chance.
    Ireland will take them to the cleaners.
    27 v 3 in WC
    13 v 22 in 6N

30+ v 7? 10 maybe

Cleaners closed Saturdays apparently.

What is the point of your posts other than being needlessly antagonistic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You were close.
    Cleaners closed Saturdays apparently.

Are you going to go back over the whole thread quoting people?

If you have spare time get us some of those stats on Sextons poor kicking please.

Clegg wrote: »
    Very different to Schmidt's Ireland. We attacked more from deep, allowed our centres do more than truck it up with Aki and Ringrose linking well together. We also showed some invention in the opposition 22. Really liked that strike play for Sexton's try. In the second half our defence was excellent once we sorted the line speed.

But the same failings from 2019 are still there. The front five looks underpowered and now the set piece is creaking too. In 2018, we won everything due to a dominant set piece, pack and half backs who controlled the game. We've none of that now.

The differences where clear but they need to work on it, the Conway/Larmour break out which ended up with a line out to Scotland was poor

Then again they had 5 training session together.

I am not sure about Henderson, he didn’t show up today. Maybe Toner needs to start.

The POm, VDF, Stander back row happened by mistake, done ok but it’s not the future. Need to get Deegan/Doris on

The elephant in room is Murray. I said it last season and It’s the same this year, the only time in first half we got quick ruck ball was when Murray was gone and Herring(I think) took over. Cooney needs a shot to give the new style a chance

If Cooney is not the answer bring up Casey and give him a shot....can’t watch Murray walking up to ruck, looking around for 10 second and then passing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The differences where clear but they need to work on it, the Conway/Larmour break out which ended up with a line out to Scotland was poor

Then again they had 5 training session together.

I am not sure about Henderson, he didn’t show up today. Maybe Toner needs to start.

The POm, VDF, Stander back row happened by mistake, done ok but it’s not the future. Need to get Deegan/Doris on

The elephant in room is Murray. I said it last season and It’s the same this year, the only time in first half we got quick ruck ball was when Murray was gone and Herring(I think) took over. Cooney needs a shot to give the new style a chance

If Cooney is not the answer bring up Casey and give him a shot....can’t watch Murray walking up to ruck, looking around for 10 second and then passing

Eh? CJ was the only decent forward but Henderson was better than most. Took his lineouts, stole another cleanly, made his tackles well, and was one of the only forwards that weren't being minced in contact.

Eh? CJ was the only decent forward but Henderson was better than most. Took his lineouts, stole another cleanly, made his tackles well, and was one of the only forwards that weren't being minced in contact.

He didn’t stand out for me and I though we done better after Toner game on....VDF and POM both had solid games, a couple of great turn overs by VDF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

That was very poor.

Lots of guys that typically deliver consistently were quite bad.

Minced in the scrum.

Murrày dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He didn’t stand out for me and I though we done better after Toner game on....VDF and POM both had solid games, a couple of great turn overs by VDF

VDF Stander and Ryan were excellent. Our top 3 tacklers.

Ryan and Stander our best ball carriers

VDF and Stander also had 2 or 3 turnovers each.

This game was won on defence and turn overs

That was very poor.

Lots of guys that typically deliver consistently were quite bad.

Minced in the scrum.

Murrày dreadful.
    I don’t think we did get minced, Healy kept saying something to ref and they seemed to question the decision

The whole team of officials today had an off day, let see how scrum holds up next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

POM was solid but VDF didn't look right to me. He was falling off tackles and just wasn't his usual self. 'Standing out' is not a prerequisite for starting - simply being better than the other options is. And you certainly can't say Toner was likely to stand out in a game like that, he was losing his collisions when he came on.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    VDF Stander and Ryan were excellent. Our top 3 tacklers.

Ryan and Stander our best ball carriers

VDF and Stander also had 2 or 3 turnovers each.

This game was won on defence and turn overs

I was replying to post about Henderson, I didn’t think he had a great game, he should be standing out in these types of games but he doesn’t.....maybe dropped for a game as a kick up ass?

Surprised by the Hendo hate.

Actually I'm not.

Ryan gave away two kickable penalties and butchered a three on one. Toner caught a ball, knocked on, and spent the rest of the game being folded back.

NB Henderson was not at all brilliant. But bloody hell...

Actually I'm not.

Ryan gave away two kickable penalties and butchered a three on one. Toner caught a ball, knocked on, and spent the rest of the game being folded back.

Hendo hate???? Seriously Is this Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Henderson was decent far from the worst. He did things that people would be calling POM to be man of the match for.

Our big issue is our back row and scrum half

• Advertisement

Are you going to go back over the whole thread quoting people?

If you have spare time get us some of those stats on Sextons poor kicking please.

Sextons kicked poorly again today I felt.

Hendo hate???? Seriously Is this Facebook?

Sorry, I assumed a base line level of humour.

Comment withdrawn.

Thought the entire front 5 were mediocre. That includes Henderson and Ryan. Lots of hard work, but we're lacking the dominance of 2018. Set piece was also a mess.

There probably won't be any changes other than this that are injury enforced. But I'd consider starting Porter instead or Healy and Toner for Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thought the entire front 5 were mediocre. That includes Henderson and Ryan. Lots of hard work, but we're lacking the dominance of 2018. Set piece was also a mess.

There probably won't be any changes other than this that are injury enforced. But I'd consider starting Porter instead or Healy and Toner for Henderson.

Porter instead of Furlong surely

For me, Murray was given a big chance to show he is back in form, and he was poor, very ponderous, slowing everything down. Cooney should have started today, but has to start next week.

Deegan to start instead of Doris

Porter instead of Furlong surely

For me, Murray was given a big chance to show he is back in form, and he was poor, very ponderous, slowing everything down. Cooney should have started today, but has to start next week.

Deegan to start instead of Doris

I actually forgot that Furlong went off. Farrell says it was a tight calf so hopefully he's ok for next week. If not then Porter to TH.

Murray was ok. Not as bad as last season 6N, but you're right about the speed of service being that bit too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Actually I'm not.

Haven't read the thread but Henderson had a decent game...will be interested to read the "hate"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I actually forgot that Furlong went off. Farrell says it was a tight calf so hopefully he's ok for next week. If not then Porter to TH.

Murray was ok. Not as bad as last season 6N, but you're right about the speed of service being that bit too slow.

Back row were not clearing out quick enough, not sure it’s fair to totally blame Murray for the slow ball.

Ah, there's no real "hate" - it was a joke.

Toner was poor when he came on, Ryan made a number of costly fudge-ups, but they should be starting... The usual.

Our poorest performers in the set pieces were Healy and Furlong, especially Healy. Minced in the scrum.

Sextons kicked poorly again today I felt.

Scored all the points for Ireland but kicked poorly :-)

Yes he is awful

• Advertisement

Ah, there's no real "hate" - it was a joke.

Toner was poor when he came on, Ryan made a number of costly fudge-ups, but they should be starting... The usual.

Our poorest performers in the set pieces were Healy and Furlong, especially Healy. Minced in the scrum.

I think Henderson can do so much better, as I posted maybe dropping for one game will give him kick up ass!!! I just want to see more

Healy side was the problem, not furlong. Still trying to figure out what was the issue. Healy didn’t seem to think it was legal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement