Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Seamai wrote: »
    The muddy patches were the result of 3 days of heavy rain washing it on to the pathway, particularly around cattle crossings.
    Grow up.

No need to tell me to grow up. Sorry I didn't agree with you. But to use the popularity and busyness of the Greenway as a negative is plain wrong I feel. If you want quiet lonely walks there's an abundance of mountains and walks around the country. Also if you walk from after kilmeaden to before kilmac it's always fairly quiet. Sorry again for not agreeing with your opinion.

I think we know what he means - more of a walking surface at a gentle pace.

Can appreciate that but you know the surface your going to get on the Greenway before ya go on it. People complaining about a perfect fairly well tarmacked 48km path just makes me laugh. Walk mountains for better walking surface if soft grass is want you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

One of the points I was trying to get across was that the Limerick Greenway's less than perfect surface probably kept the amount of cyclists down.
    I also do a lot of hill walking but one of my knees has being bothering me of late so I'm trying to take it easy (I know walking on a hard surfaces is probably not the best). Sometimes time and weather dictate where I'd go walking, a bit of mud doesn't bother me when I'm used to being calf deep in peat on the mountains.
    The greenways are as much for walkers as for cyclists and are perfect for people whose mobility might be compromised
    You're correct about the stretch from Kilmacthomas to Kilmeaden being quieter, my experience from the Durrow to Dungarvan end at weekends is that as a walker I'm competing and constantly having to get out of the way of cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

One of the points I was trying to get across was that the Limerick Greenway's less than perfect surface probably kept the amount of cyclists down.
    I also do a lot of hill walking but one of my knees has being bothering me of late so I'm trying to take it easy (I know walking on a hard surfaces is probably not the best). Sometimes time and weather dictate where I'd go walking, a bit of mud doesn't bother me when I'm used to being calf deep in peat on the mountains.
    The greenways are as much for walkers as for cyclists and are perfect for people whose mobility might be compromised
    You're correct about the stretch from Kilmacthomas to Kilmeaden being quieter, my experience from the Durrow to Dungarvan end at weekends is that as a walker I'm competing and constantly having to get out of the way of cyclists.

It's lack of publicity. The airwaves are gushing Achill greenway this and Waterford greenway that. Some B list RTE 'celebrity' featured cycling one or the other, articles in Aer Lingus magazines etc. There's next to nothing advertising the Limerick greenway outside of the odd mention on local newspapers or radio. Businesses or hotels not taking advantage of it, think one bike hire place in NCW and that's it, it might as well not be there at all.

Have you walked the barrow way. Tis right job mostly grassy path whole way BV apart from the town's and very few bikes. I walked and camped along during the summer. From Kildare to st Mullins lovely spot. Nit sure what tis like in winter though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

debok wrote: »
    Have you walked the barrow way. Tis right job mostly grassy path whole way BV apart from the town's and very few bikes. I walked and camped along during the summer. From Kildare to st Mullins lovely spot. Nit sure what tis like in winter though

Not yet but it's on my list, most of my walking is concentrated in Munster, though I did a really nice trail on Brandon Hill near Graiguenamanagh last spring, it had bit of everything, quiet country lanes, forest paths, wide open moorland and great views over to Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs. It certainly whetted my appetite to explore the south east more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Seamai wrote:
    Not yet but it's on my list, most of my walking is concentrated in Munster, though I did a really nice trail on Brandon Hill near Graiguenamanagh last spring, it had bit of everything, quiet country lanes, forest paths, wide open moorland and great views over to Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs. It certainly whetted my appetite to explore the south east more.

Make sure you do the way marked trails as well

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's lack of publicity. The airwaves are gushing Achill greenway this and Waterford greenway that. Some B list RTE 'celebrity' featured cycling one or the other, articles in Aer Lingus magazines etc. There's next to nothing advertising the Limerick greenway outside of the odd mention on local newspapers or radio. Businesses or hotels not taking advantage of it, think one bike hire place in NCW and that's it, it might as well not be there at all.

Limerick is not exactly a tourist hotspot and has never been able to sell itself very well. The extension of the GST to Listowel next year will bring it within the orbit of the Kerry tourism machine and you can expect to be hearing a bit more about it then!

Last Sunday I walked a section of the Great Southern Greenway in Limerick from Newcastlewest to Ardagh, while it didn't have the views of the Waterford way, the surface is older, rougher and a bit muddy in parts it was a much more enjoying and relaxed experience with far fewer users.

Well you'll be delighted to hear the surface of the GST will be upgraded shortly to proper tarmac to make it more cyclist friendly! :D

In fairness though, greenways are designed more for cyclists than walkers. The nature of old railway lines (long straight sections etc) makes for rather tedious walking but very enjoyable cycling. Also, there's no shortage of options for off-road walking but there are no other options for off-road cycling.

debok wrote: »

+1 on Barrow Way. Not so much the canal part north of Athy (those tedious long straight sections again) but along the river proper south of Athy is an absolute jewel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Quackster wrote: »
    Well you'll be delighted to hear the surface of the GST will be upgraded shortly to proper tarmac to make it more cyclist friendly! :D

In fairness though, greenways are designed more for cyclists than walkers. The nature of old railway lines (long straight sections etc) makes for rather tedious walking but very enjoyable cycling. Also, there's no shortage of options for off-road walking but there are no other options for off-road cycling.

plenty of off road trail building going on around the country, it generally isnt for the novice though

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    plenty of off road trail building going on around the country, it generally isnt for the novice though

No comparison with road biking though and not for the vast majority of leisure cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Limerick is not exactly a tourist hotspot and has never been able to sell itself very well. The extension of the GST to Listowel next year will bring it within the orbit of the Kerry tourism machine and you can expect to be hearing a bit more about it then!

The GST has only been there for what, two or three decades already? Long time getting off the blocks publicity wise. Agree that Limerick has a very poor record of promoting itself. If Lough Gur was anywhere but Limerick we'd be tired hearing of it. A pair with plastic bags on their heads did more for the region.
    North Kerry with the exception of Listowel is a tourism backwater. If it wasn't for JBK the place would be totally deserted. BallyB is probably past it's sell by date.

The GST has only been there for what, two or three decades already? Long time getting off the blocks publicity wise.

Well it was started as a hobby by a couple of locals in the 90s when the notion of greenways was nonexistent and was developed a small bit at a time. The voluntary group responsible simply didn't have the resources to promote it.

Limerick Co Co only hitched their wagon to it recently, after seeing the successes in Mayo and Waterford. But saying that, they've done some excellent work this year, reconnecting the Barna Tunnel (every bit a match for the tunnel on the Waterford Greenway) and as I've said, a major upgrade of the entire existing section is in progress.
    North Kerry with the exception of Listowel is a tourism backwater. If it wasn't for JBK the place would be totally deserted. BallyB is probably past it's sell by date.

That's true but, from a marketing perspective, irreverent as Kerry is one unit when it comes to tourism promotion and every effort will be made to sell the new greenway. Its full potential won't be realised of course until the Listowel to Tralee section is complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Well it was started as a hobby by a couple of locals in the 90s when the notion of greenways was nonexistent and was developed a small bit at a time. The voluntary group responsible simply didn't have the resources to promote it.

Limerick Co Co only hitched their wagon to it recently, after seeing the successes in Mayo and Waterford. But saying that, they've done some excellent work this year, reconnecting the Barna Tunnel (every bit a match for the tunnel on the Waterford Greenway) and as I've said, a major upgrade of the entire existing section is in progress.

That's true but, from a marketing perspective, irreverent as Kerry is one unit when it comes to tourism promotion and every effort will be made to sell the new greenway. Its full potential won't be realised of course until the Listowel to Tralee section is complete.

The Waterford Greenway was started as a hobby of a couple of locals, none of them acknowledged when the counselors who were against the project stepped up to accept the awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Surprised no one has stumbled while walking or fallen off their bike and gone crying to their solicitor. Yet.

They have, multiple times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I happened to drive out past the Kilmeaden Greenway stop earlier first time since last summer, that burnt wreck of the Cosy Thatch still "stands" is there like an insult to every visitor. What the feck is holding up the clearance of that site?

I happened to drive out past the Kilmeaden Greenway stop earlier first time since last summer, that burnt wreck of the Cosy Thatch still "stands" is there like an insult to every visitor. What the feck is holding up the clearance of that site?

It's a protected structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Protected for what? No one is ever going to renovate that heap.

Protected for what? No one is ever going to renovate that heap.

True enough. But it's a protected building so they can't do anything with it and they can't knock it. So I suppose we have to wait until nature takes it back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 educere

Hi,
    I tried to read as much of the thread as possible and couldn’t find the answer but does anyone know if this cycle pathway is or could be used to cycle to work? I’ve never been on it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

educere wrote: »
    Hi,
    I tried to read as much of the thread as possible and couldn’t find the answer but does anyone know if this cycle pathway is or could be used to cycle to work? I’ve never been on it.
    Thanks.

Of course, assuming you live and work close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Hi,
    Thanks.

It absolutely can. A good few people do use it on there commute as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dexpat

Hi,
    Thanks.

It has a pathway that you can cycle on yes, but if you live, say out the Dunmore Road or maybe Tramore and work in town then probably no.

noby wrote: »
    Of course, assuming you live and work close to it.

Thanks a lot.
    And how long or hard is it for the full distance for an average to slow person? Don’t want to kill myself with exhaustion or get muddy trying to get to work.
    Trying to see if I can manage without a car?

Dexpat wrote: »
    It has a pathway that you can cycle on yes, but if you live, say out the Dunmore Road or maybe Tramore and work in town then probably no.

I was thinking more from dungarvan to balkytruckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Dexpat

Fair play to you if you can do that regularly. Especially if you plan to do a return trip each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

That's about 50k each way. 2 hours for a fit cyclist or good ebike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

Wow. It's doable, but bear in mind the time it'll take. You're looking at the guts of 50km, which if you're very fit you could do in less than 2 hours (there're no serious gradients) BUT due to its nature, excessive speed on the Greenway is somewhat antisocial. You also describe yourself as "average to slow", so count on anything up to around 3 hours each way. 6 hours cycling each day is in pro territory in terms of duration! Also bear in mind weather - do you want to have into that in lashing rain and/or wind. I love cycling, but not sure I could face that day in day out. An ebike would of course help in terms of effort, but you'll most likely need to be able to charge it at work for the return trip. And you'll be limited to 25km/h give or take do still looking at 2 hours min.

What I'd do in your case is aim to try to do it 1 or 2 days per week, just remember to allow for the time. The idea of a fresh early spring morning on the Greenway is appealing I must say! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Hi,
    could be used to cycle to work? I’ve never been on it.
    Thanks.

Bring good front light with you.
    It's difficult enough to navigate the full length of it after dark with no lights on.

Advertisement