Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bilberry funding finally!

"An additional €1,550,000 funding has been made available for the Bilberry to City Centre Greenway extension"

https://waterfordcouncilnews.com/2020/02/19/waterford-welcomes-funding-of-e15175000-under-ntas-project-ireland-2040/

this will bring greenway to clock tower crossing to North quay and presumably a way will be created to allow cyclists to exit NQ onto the Kilkenny to Wexford section without using a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

I'm waiting for someone to post "wHaT aBoUt 24/7 AnD tHe HoSpItAl"

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

educere wrote: »
    I was thinking more from dungarvan to balkytruckle.

That would be a no:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Dungarvan+Greenway+Bike+Hire,+14+Sexton+St,+Abbeyside,+Dungarvan,+Co.+Waterford,+X35+YH92/Ballytruckle,+Waterford/@52.2300083,-7.2046227,12.96z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4843191f9799ff61:0x9877c7a8b8109b48!2m2!1d-7.6149843!2d52.0925241!1m5!1m1!1s0x4842c41fb8cb87cd:0x2600c7a7bb2c2c31!2m2!1d-7.1091488!2d52.2501018!3e1

Its too much for a commute. Kilmacthomas is probably the furthest extent for a practical commute.

I have cycled it with people with novice levels of cycling and fitness. While the gradients are perfectly manageable, there is still a 100m elevation, and those hills will be an issue until your fitness improves.

The surface is fine, but not really suitable for 18mm roadbike tires, but anything more robust is ok.

If you are flying along at 30km/hr + which is doable its a more than a bit anti-social, but in practice the walkers & foot traffic are concentrated around the access points, and in between them you will only find the occasional cyclist.

I did waterford -> dungarvan last november around lunch time and we met maybe 10 cyclists on the whole journey.

You might want to consider getting a foldup bike, and doing the journey one way, and busing it back (you will probably want to sleep on the bus back!)

You will want a change of clothes and ideally a shower when you get to work.

If you do go down this route your fitness and cardio is going to really spike. Fair play if you can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Greenway has to be the best thing to happen the city in the last 10 years. The success of our Greenway has even inspired other counties to make their own greenways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Greenway has to be the best thing to happen the city in the last 10 years. The success of our Greenway has even inspired other counties to make their own greenways.

I thought the idea came from the great western greenway in Mayo? Be great when all counties link up where feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Speak Now wrote: »
    I thought the idea came from the great western greenway in Mayo? Be great when all counties link up where feasible.

The difference is that the waterford greenway made waterford and towns a tourist destination.

I think the Greenway here has probably generated more income for more people than any of the others at this point. It's been a massive success esp for Dungarvan and Kilmac, which has been reborn on the back of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I agree the Greenway is the best thing to happen here in years,and it has the potential to be one of the top tourist attractions in Ireland if they done more with it,there's so much more they can do like for starters get the access from the Quay sorted it got funding of i think about 1.8 million late last year and still nothing is happening with it.

Open up camping sites,more cafes/food trucks,seating areas/bins/toilets and bike maintenance areas,its open 4 years now and people still dont keep left more signs are needed and maybe a speed limit for bikes,other greenways are opening and Waterford will fall behind if the council dont take advantage of the one we have.

I agree the Greenway is the best thing to happen here in years,and it has the potential to be one of the top tourist attractions in Ireland if they done more with it,there's so much more they can do like for starters get the access from the Quay sorted it got funding of i think about 1.8 million late last year and still nothing is happening with it.

Open up camping sites,more cafes/food trucks,seating areas/bins/toilets and bike maintenance areas,its open 4 years now and people still dont keep left more signs are needed and maybe a speed limit for bikes,other greenways are opening and Waterford will fall behind if the council dont take advantage of the one we have.

It is quite amazing the city does not embrace it , cycling from the greenway is a nightmare. To do it you have to cycle over the river negotiate a very busy roundabout , then cycle back across the river.
    Even findng the start is difficult if you are not from the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Chiparus wrote: »
    It is quite amazing the city does not embrace it , cycling from the greenway is a nightmare. To do it you have to cycle over the river negotiate a very busy roundabout , then cycle back across the river.
    Even findng the start is difficult if you are not from the city.

Its hard to embrace it near the city (when it is not fully complete, and is difficult to access) from Bilberry into town. Plans have been published and I understand CPO is in progress with some of the property owners in Bilberry. Waterford city money built it in the first instance and to the best of my knowledge, city has never been properly recompensed (as promised) for the expenditure. Funding is in place to finish it when property issues resolved.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Its hard to embrace it near the city (when it is not fully complete, and is difficult to access) from Bilberry into town. Plans have been published and I understand CPO is in progress with some of the property owners in Bilberry. Waterford city money built it in the first instance and to the best of my knowledge, city has never been properly recompensed (as promised) for the expenditure. Funding is in place to finish it when property issues resolved.

You know if they wanted to , it would be done in a week, they could paint a contraflow cycle lane as a temporary measure along O'Connell street ,then down onto Grattan Quay, And mark it greenway , even paint it green!

This thread started 6 years ago ........... 6 years. WCC appear to have done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Chiparus wrote: »
    You know if they wanted to , it would be done in a week, they could paint a contraflow cycle lane as a temporary measure along O'Connell street ,then down onto Grattan Quay, And mark it greenway , even paint it green!

This thread started 6 years ago ........... 6 years. WCC appear to have done nothing.

This is a frankly risible and unfair comment. Two or three posts up you can see work on Greenway to Kilmeaden underway. Who do you think is doing that work? Waterford city and county council, for whom I hold no brief, were left without (promised) recompense for massive expenditure on the Greenway. Some sources suggest a deficit figure of €17m. Funding has now been provided to extend the Greenway into the city and property solutions which involve a CPO and a structure out over the river, are being dealt with. I presume they wish to wait and do the proper job all together. You can agree or disagree at leisure with that strategy.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    This is a frankly risible and unfair comment. Two or three posts up you can see work on Greenway to Kilmeaden underway. Who do you think is doing that work? Waterford city and county council, for whom I hold no brief, were left without (promised) recompense for massive expenditure on the Greenway. Some sources suggest a deficit figure of €17m. Funding has now been provided to extend the Greenway into the city and property solutions which involve a CPO and a structure out over the river, are being dealt with. I presume they wish to wait and do the proper job all together. You can agree or disagree at leisure with that strategy.

A temporary cycle path could be created, taking cyclists away from the quays and down O'Connell street, even a sign post directing cyclists coming into the city up Dyehouse lane and onto Mary Street would be a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Ther looks to me like a serious infestation of Japanese Knotweed from Kilmacthomas eastwards at least as far as the coach house.

What's may be spreading it is the cable laying I saw heading back towards Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

How much are we putting in to funding the new greenway down to new ross? https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/10/10/full-steam-ahead-for-e13m-new-ross-greenway-link/

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

How much are we putting in to funding the new greenway down to new ross? https://wexfordtoday.com/2019/10/10/full-steam-ahead-for-e13m-new-ross-greenway-link/

I don’t have any issues with the city council putting money in to this tbh, it will eventually join up with our greenway and the final plan will then be to link New Ross and Rosslare. That would be some spin then from Dungarvan to Rosslare and then over into Wales on the ferry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I don’t have any issues with the city council putting money in to this tbh, it will eventually join up with our greenway and the final plan will then be to link New Ross and Rosslare. That would be some spin then from Dungarvan to Rosslare and then over into Wales on the ferry ;)

Once this becomes a reality it should serve as an example as to what can be done when the councils in the South East come together. Hopefully the airport, which KK, WX and WD have all committed money towards will follow suit. I won't mention the university :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Agreed some more joined up projects and thinking would benefit the whole of the SouthEast. People starting on the Greenway in New Ross or Rosslare will follow it along through Waterford, it will increase tourism and benefit the whole region.

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but moves are afoot for a Waterford to Tramore spur, presumably the idea would be to follow the old railway line as much as possible.

Old line route shown here
    https://www.activeme.ie/guides/dismantled-railway-tramore-to-waterford/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but moves are afoot for a Waterford to Tramore spur, presumably the idea would be to follow the old railway line as much as possible.

was looking into walking this some years ago, has anyone done it recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Petty they would not put back the railway. Closing it was the mother of all short-sighted decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote: »
    Petty they would not put back the railway. Closing it was the mother of all short-sighted decisions.

... and you can add the rest of the countries train network with that to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

cml387 wrote: »
    Ther looks to me like a serious infestation of Japanese Knotweed from Kilmacthomas eastwards at least as far as the coach house.

What's may be spreading it is the cable laying I saw heading back towards Waterford.

Spotted that while walking on that section last week, it looked liked some spot spraying had been done, let's hope it's nipped in the bud (pardon the pun) before it get's out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Japanese Knotweed is creating havoc all over Ireland – here’s how to stop it spreading
    see link from lat year from the Sun

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4603203/japanese-knotweed-ireland-how-to-stop-it-spreading/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I went from Kilmac to Dungarvan and back yesterday afternoon and it was the busiest i seen the Greenway since it opened,crowds of people every kilometer all out cycling and walking ,i could hear accents from all over Ireland and a lot of English and even some Americans and what sounded like Canadians!,fantastic to see so many out enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭curmudgeonly

waterford wrote: »
    Japanese Knotweed is creating havoc all over Ireland – here’s how to stop it spreading
    see link from lat year from the Sun

https://www.thesun.ie/news/4603203/japanese-knotweed-ireland-how-to-stop-it-spreading/

Not aimed at the poster, but that is the lightest weighted article ever on Japanese Knotweed, built around a headline with absolutely no substance.
    I never bought a red top in my life and when I stumble across like this, It galvanises my decision.

Spraying Knotweed is practically useless as it shrugs it off and grows on.
    I had a small patch and it took 7 years of spraying to kill it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I went from Kilmac to Dungarvan and back yesterday afternoon and it was the busiest i seen the Greenway since it opened,crowds of people every kilometer all out cycling and walking ,i could hear accents from all over Ireland and a lot of English and even some Americans and what sounded like Canadians!,fantastic to see so many out enjoying it.

We're hoping to do the whole greenway next week and then back as the shuttle bus back isn't an option at the moment. Was hoping that by going on a weekday it might be quieter, obviously not at this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

were they all observing public health advice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ec18 wrote: »
    were they all observing public health advice?

Likely not, just like the many thousands visiting Tramore,
    But they'll all be quick to bitch and moan if there's an increase in infections and deaths

Advertisement