Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Take a few pictures and send them to the Director of Services for Environment at Waterford City and County Council, Maritana House, The Mall, Waterford.

Or you can make things easier and use more modern faster communication such as phone or email :pac::pac:

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/departments/environment/litter.htm
    Report Littering !
    0761 10 20 20
    contact@waterfordcouncil.ie

To be fair given the location they'll likely get it shifted quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not surprised if that's the case,
    Coming from the Dungarven side the tunnel was much darker today and you could easily miss a small dog or child if you were cycling at fast speed.

Must say I was disappointed to see road bikers cycling at such speeds, while no doubt most road bike users will stick to main roads where they can safely travel at 30km plus, it was still disappointing to see such a large group cycling without consideration.

Dismounting would be extremely unsafe for any cyclist in cleats.
    I think they should have increased the wattage of the lighting inside the tunnel or provided a diversion, rather than putting up signs effectively saying "cyclists please become pedestrians".

But I certainly agree with you that if people insist on cycling in the tunnel the least they could do is go very slowly and carefully and keep left

But I certainly agree with you that if people insist on cycling in the tunnel the least they could do is go very slowly and carefully and keep left

Even if everyone obeys the "keep left", there will still be cyclists on both sides of the tunnel because they will be coming from both directions. I think the tunnel is an accident waiting to happen. The brighter the day is outside, the darker the tunnel seems inside, because it takes your eyes longer to adjust. It really needs to be lit up a lot better. And cyclists should have to dismount.

inthehat wrote: »
    And cyclists should have to dismount.

That's an accident waiting to happen too, if anyone has cleats.

You might as well write "and pedestrians should have to cycle": the sign won't make it happen. They need lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If you really need cleats, a greenway probably isn't where you should be cycling. Surely it's aimed more to more casual cleat-less cycling, as well as mixing with walkers in all forms.

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    If you really need cleats, a greenway probably isn't where you should be cycling. Surely it's aimed more to more casual cleat-less cycling, as well as mixing with walkers in all forms.

I'm not sure if NEED ever comes into play on a greenway?
    It's an amenity.

I should clarify that "cyclists dismount" signs are a minor bugbear of mine. I feel it's a sign that the cycle infrastructure - at that point - fails to meet it's most basic of requirements. I don't think I've ever in my life seen a sign saying "motorists get out and walk".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's plenty of no entry or similar signs for cars. At least "cyclists dismount" still allows you to take a bike through and continue cycling from the other side. And a greenway isn't just cycle infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm not sure if NEED ever comes into play on a greenway?
    It's an amenity.

I should clarify that "cyclists dismount" signs are a minor bugbear of mine. I feel it's a sign that the cycle infrastructure - at that point - fails to meet it's most basic of requirements. I don't think I've ever in my life seen a sign saying "motorists get out and walk".

Motorists are not allowed travel on pedestrian ways ....... you think that might have something to do with it?

JohnC. wrote: »
    There's plenty of no entry or similar signs for cars. At least "cyclists dismount" still allows you to take a bike through and continue cycling from the other side. And a greenway isn't just cycle infrastructure.

A no entry sign for cars on a public road? They might exist but I can't think of any?

You could take a motorcycle through too if you weren't riding it. It would be pretty pointless. I'd go so far as to call it "not using the motorcycle".

A greenway isn't just for anything. It's a non-legal-entity fudge that can apply to paint on a road or a footpath with a sign. It's effectively a least-effort way of providing infrastructure, by lumping multiple users into one "leisure user" bracket.

But I haven't seen anything to say that greenways are for leisure only.
    This will become a problem as councils create more "greenways". People will get hurt by the legislation vacuum.

Motorists are not allowed travel on pedestrian ways ....... you think that might have something to do with it?

Airplanes aren't allowed to use railway stations either...... what is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Jasus, just don't cycle through the tunnel, it's simple and not the end of the world to do so,it's for leisure, wind down and take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The greenway isn’t intended as infrastructure - it’s purpose is an amenity, for multiple types of users.

You seem to have confused it with a dedicated cycleway, which was never its intended purpose

Yeah it's no problem for me, i just use one an e-scooter, so I don't have to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Yeah it's no problem for me, i just use one an e-scooter, so I don't have to get off.
    Good for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Heard they were installing water bottle refill stations on the greenway, anyone know if this has happened yet and if so where they are installed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Heard they were installing water bottle refill stations on the greenway, anyone know if this has happened yet and if so where they are installed?

Yes they are there a few weeks now,one at Bilberry just to the right of the gate as you get onto the Greenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another at the Dungarvan end up from the traffic lights and opposite the shops at Abbeyside.

Edit> Should have said very near the pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

One at Kilmacthomas also!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

The new cafe on the Greenway at Kilmeaden opened last week. Has anyone been in yet?

Tarzann wrote: »
    The new cafe on the Greenway at Kilmeaden opened last week. Has anyone been in yet?

Is that part of the railway station?, I noted construction by the toilets when I was cycling a week or two ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Is that part of the railway station?, I noted construction by the toilets when I was cycling a week or two ago
    Yes it is. I think they coincided the opening with a 5km charity run last Friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Two bike hire companies are closing their doors as things stand due to the public liability insurance cost/availability. Incredible isn't it? It doesn't have to undermine the Greenway admittedly as the council can step in and provide a simple pre-pay rack system which they can have insurance for but nonetheless rather dismal situation. How you you develop a leisure industry in such an environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Two bike hire companies are closing their doors as things stand due to the public liability insurance cost/availability. Incredible isn't it? It doesn't have to undermine the Greenway admittedly as the council can step in and provide a simple pre-pay rack system which they can have insurance for but nonetheless rather dismal situation. How you you develop a leisure industry in such an environment.

this insurance problem is extremely serious, something has to be done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Which ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Which ones?

The greenwayman up in the durrow is going I think. But I don't think it has anything to do with insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I think the Waterford Greenaway has become a victim of it's own success, I've walked all of it (not in one go) and it's a fantastic facility but at weekends it can be far too busy and not always pleasurable for either cyclists or walkers, some (not all) cyclist seem to think they own the trail, most of them insist on cycling through the Ballyvoyle tunnel In the dark, many without lights ignoring the signs to dismount and obviously using a bell isn't cool.
    Last Sunday I walked a section of the Great Southern Greenway in Limerick from Newcastlewest to Ardagh, while it didn't have the views of the Waterford way, the surface is older, rougher and a bit muddy in parts it was a much more enjoying and relaxed experience with far fewer users.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Surprised no one has stumbled while walking or fallen off their bike and gone crying to their solicitor. Yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Seamai wrote: »
    I think the Waterford Greenaway has become a victim of it's own success, I've walked all of it (not in one go) and it's a fantastic facility but at weekends it can be far too busy and not always pleasurable for either cyclists or walkers, some (not all) cyclist seem to think they own the trail, most of them insist on cycling through the Ballyvoyle tunnel In the dark, many without lights ignoring the signs to dismount and obviously using a bell isn't cool.
    Last Sunday I walked a section of the Great Southern Greenway in Limerick from Newcastlewest to Ardagh, while it didn't have the views of the Waterford way, the surface is older, rougher and a bit muddy in parts it was a much more enjoying and relaxed experience with far fewer users.

Yeh be way better covered in mud and with noone using it. Come on man will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think we know what he means - more of a walking surface at a gentle pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

debok wrote: »
    Yeh be way better covered in mud and with noone using it. Come on man will ya.

The muddy patches were the result of 3 days of heavy rain washing it on to the pathway, particularly around cattle crossings.
    Grow up.

Advertisement