Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    About as serious as the posts on here should be taken...

I see JK would like a fight with Justin at 170 which just seems mad to keep Conor from having to cut weight unless a title is on the line. I'm all on for him getting another title shot but to fight outside the division for convenience is a bit much.

In the interview he outlined the reasons for fighting Gaethje is that he's normally a LW himself so it'll be ideal too be fighting really good LW fighters in regards to any future fight with Khabib or Ferguson.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,732 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The amount of ridiculous stuff in this thread. A fixed fight, calling out fighters is for children?
    It's gone more insane than ever I think.
    Usman and Masvidal were both there hoping for a call out from Conor to get the big payday.
    A fix fight is an insane suggestion. Cowboy wanted to get close to Conor quickly to set things up for himself
    Conor was prepared for that and it was game over very quickly.
    Next thing we'll be told that the Aldo fight was a fix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Always an excuse not to fight, can expect Conor to fill in for either of a short notice.
    Fairly sure being injured qualifies as a legit excuse to not fight, especially considering how AKA train and the craziness that is Ferguson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Attacking busses, old men, speeding fines, i can get over those but a trump supporter?? Nope, can't do it anymore. #khabibtime

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1219461358967762944?s=19

Even being a Trump fan is nothing compared to the other allegations against him that we cant mention here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,120 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nonsense. That wasn't a sprawl, he was hanging over Cerrone's back and you don't sprawl forwards, you sprawl backwards.
    Seems odd that Cowboy missed such an easy opportunity to take him down.
    Have you everl tried to sprawl on a takedown? It’s not always going like a burpee when there’s another body involved.

When somebody is that close and momentum is involved you shoulders are going to go forward. The key part is getting you hips back. Which you’ll notice Conor did by getting before they clinched.

IMO Cowboy missed because he was very late, as I said. He had only level changed when was on top of him, Conor connected with some momentum and stopped any forward movement from Cowboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,143 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Even being a Trump fan is nothing compared to the other allegations against him that we cant mention here

Of course McGregor is going to lick arse. You think he wants to be taken down like Vince McMahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Jesus, just had a read through the last few pages, sales of tinfoil must be through the roof with the amount of conspiracy theorist nutjobs that have been donning their tinfoil hats since Saturday night across the various MMA forums I use.

I'm no fan of McGregor (though I liked how he carried himself in the build-up to last weekend), but the talk of a fix is beyond ridiculous. People who are crying "fix" have absolutely no idea of how easily knockdowns and flash KO's can occur, especially against ageing veterans who have questionable chins at this stage of their careers.

This was a strategic fight for sure, a very winnable bout for McGregror against a big name veteran that will give him a decent amount of momentum going forward; but there is a huge amount of difference between picking a strategic tune-up fight and fixing a fight, and this was by no means a fix. What were people expecting? McGregor has always been a beast who starts strong and fast bar one or two fights that were exceptions to the rule, and Cowboy is a notoriously slow starter who has had the integrity of his chin called into question a lot in recent times. If I had been told to write a script for how I thought this fight was going to play out prior to Saturday night, it would have looked something like what we actually saw.

As I said, I'm not a McGregor fan, but crying "fix" over a fight that played out pretty much as expected is really scraping the bottom of the barrel when trying to find things to cry about. This sh*t happens, fighters age, chin goes and they just can't take shots anymore. Liddell's career took a similar trajectory, on the receiving end of numerous KO's in his final UFC run, his jaw turned to glass and he was finally put out to pasture by Rich Franklin in 2010 in his final fight (and yes, I pretend Liddell v Ortiz 3 never took place).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

eagle eye wrote: »
    The amount of ridiculous stuff in this thread. A fixed fight, calling out fighters is for children?
    It's gone more insane than ever I think.
    Usman and Masvidal were both there hoping for a call out from Conor to get the big payday.
    A fix fight is an insane suggestion. Cowboy wanted to get close to Conor quickly to set things up for himself
    Conor was prepared for that and it was game over very quickly.
    Next thing we'll be told that the Aldo fight was a fix too.

You forgot the mma gangs terrorizing Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

did danas buddy, trump sort him out with a visa to get into the USA or something I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

bunderoon wrote: »
    I do unfortunately..
    I'd love to believe that these great fighters just experience sudden brain farts and forget how to defend themselves. I've not into mad theories. But I'm not a fanboy either. I enjoy the fights without any bias.

You see, the UFC have moved a little into the WWF/WWE space over the last couple of years. Money has destroyed it. Dana bought it for ~2million and it sold for ~4billion.
    McGregor's hype has been the vehicle to propel the organisation into heights that it has never been before.

But this simply goes down to who benefits. It doe not benefit Dana for cowboy to win. Its why he was selected. It was his first PPV deal and its the end of his career. But it does so massively for Conor & Dana to win and win so convincingly that he's now not required to fight 3-5 times before facing off against Khabib again. Financially, the easy comeback for Conor paves the way for the best return for Dana.

For the fight, just look at how Cowboy doesnt move from the shoulder 'blows'.
    He moves his head away from the kick and Conors toes connected with his Cheek. He does the same as Mendes did and slowly leans into a fall to his left side inviting Conor to 'finish' it. And the finish was one or two convincing light blows and the rest were misses. Job done.
    These guys are tough as nails. They can take much more than this and we've seen this time and time again pre-Conor era.

Conor is a great fighter. No doubt about it. But his mouth and persona is worth far far more to Dana than his fighting skills.

I've love to believe that these types of fights are legit. But I cant with what I've seen.

As for the WWF/WWE reference, just look at his next pre-planned opponent (Masvidal) at ringside the other night with the belt around his shoulder. It's turning into a soap opera.

Big money semi final PPVs:
    Khabib vs Ferguson
    McGregor vs Masvidal

Final: will be a world record MMA PPV
    Khabib vs ........

IMO you're wrong in the fixing fights part. But in terms of promtion and hype you'e right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

JK wants gaetje next at 170. Dana is creaming himself over khabib. But if khabib tony goes ahead in april then conor khabib probably wouldnt be until early july.
    Jk said conor would be in before the summer so gaetje would be a good knock ( to use conors words) but i would love to see him fight masvidal next. The build up would be funny and they both are real go forward fighters
    We'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Seems odd that Cowboy missed such an easy opportunity to take him down.

I don't think he was taking him down, I think he was clinching him. Again McGregor spoke about it in his post fight presser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

JK wants gaetje next at 170.

Would be strange at 170? I'm sure Gaethje would fight him at any weight for the pay day but it has to be 155 to justify pushing either up the rankings. Even for Conor getting ready for Khabib a 155 fight first would be more sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

hots wrote: »
    you can see his arms trying to go around conor until he's knocked back by Conor's hip/thigh and momentum from him rushing forward?

Hip's, thighs, shoulder strikes. You would swear that his limbs are made of titanium.

Cowboy didn't didn't show up, you cannot draw anything useful from this performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For Conor, I think he just wants to set records.

Champ in three weight divisions would mean more to him I think, than regaining the LW championship from Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Hip's, thighs, shoulder strikes. You would swear that his limbs are made of titanium.

Cowboy didn't didn't show up, you cannot draw anything useful from this performance.

I was replying to the fact that Cowboy didn't attempt the takedown. Cowboy didn't turn up, and wasn't given much of a chance to either, it was over extremely quickly. All you can take from the performance is that Conor looked in good shape, it doesn't say anything about the level he's at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,597 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As I constantly say I'm not a Conor fan by any stretch but one think he doesn't get credit of is he sure doesn't duck a fight,

All the short notice changes he's had , Khabib first fight back but most impressively is the fact he will go up and down divisions,

None of the top guys have done it as often as him , he's willing to risk losing when other aren't so I give him credit for that,

For instance Khabib is terrified to go up because of all the bigger wrestlers

As I constantly say I'm not a Conor fan by any stretch but one think he doesn't get credit of is he sure doesn't duck a fight,

All the short notice changes he's had , Khabib first fight back but most impressively is the fact he will go up and down divisions,

None of the top guys have done it as often as him , he's willing to risk losing when other aren't so I give him credit for that,

For instance Khabib is terrified to go up because of all the bigger wrestlers

But who has he actually fought, mostly journey men at 145lbs who he was much bigger than, and then he goes up to 170 to fight Diaz, another journey man who has nearly as many losses as wins. Eventually fights Khabib and look what happened there. Now there is talk about Masvidal, yet another journey man who has been knocking around for donkeys years.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Jesus, just had a read through the last few pages, sales of tinfoil must be through the roof with the amount of conspiracy theorist nutjobs that have been donning their tinfoil hats since Saturday night across the various MMA forums I use.

I'm no fan of McGregor (though I liked how he carried himself in the build-up to last weekend), but the talk of a fix is beyond ridiculous. People who are crying "fix" have absolutely no idea of how easily knockdowns and flash KO's can occur, especially against ageing veterans who have questionable chins at this stage of their careers.

This was a strategic fight for sure, a very winnable bout for McGregror against a big name veteran that will give him a decent amount of momentum going forward; but there is a huge amount of difference between picking a strategic tune-up fight and fixing a fight, and this was by no means a fix. What were people expecting? McGregor has always been a beast who starts strong and fast bar one or two fights that were exceptions to the rule, and Cowboy is a notoriously slow starter who has had the integrity of his chin called into question a lot in recent times. If I had been told to write a script for how I thought this fight was going to play out prior to Saturday night, it would have looked something like what we actually saw.

As I said, I'm not a McGregor fan, but crying "fix" over a fight that played out pretty much as expected is really scraping the bottom of the barrel when trying to find things to cry about. This sh*t happens, fighters age, chin goes and they just can't take shots anymore. Liddell's career took a similar trajectory, on the receiving end of numerous KO's in his final UFC run, his jaw turned to glass and he was finally put out to pasture by Rich Franklin in 2010 in his final fight (and yes, I pretend Liddell v Ortiz 3 never took place).

Everyone who says "I'm not a McGregor fan but" is actually a McGregor fan.

Why don't you own it and just come out and say it.

Mellor wrote: »
    Have you everl tried to sprawl on a takedown? It’s not always going like a burpee when there’s another body involved.

When somebody is that close and momentum is involved you shoulders are going to go forward. The key part is getting you hips back. Which you’ll notice Conor did by getting before they clinched.

IMO Cowboy missed because he was very late, as I said. He had only level changed when was on top of him, Conor connected with some momentum and stopped any forward movement from Cowboy.

Have I ever tried to sprawl? If you knew how ridiculous that question was you wouldn't have asked.

I doubt you have ever sprawled other than to sprawl out on the bed because what you're saying makes zero sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,597 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

But who has he actually fought, mostly journey men at 145lbs who he was much bigger than, and then he goes up to 170 to fight Diaz, another journey man who has nearly as many losses as wins. Eventually fights Khabib and look what happened there. Now there is talk about Masvidal, yet another journey man who has been knocking around for donkeys years.

He fought everyone there was at the time at 145 Holloway, Aldo, Mendes , Poirier , ?

He goes up and is signed to fight the champion who gets injured so he fights Diaz and loses, fight at welter weight as Diaz didn't have time to cut weight, Conor wants to run it back with the same weight so no excuses and beats him,

Then fights the lightweight champion and wins,

Then fights the greatest boxer ever in his first pro boxing match loses,

Then fights Khabib after over two years out of the cage with no tune up ,

I don't like the man one bit but he has always stepped up to fight whoever has a belt or whoever is considered the best,

Yes Conor is a awful human we can all agree but in fighting terms he doesn't take the easy road ,

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Aldo, Mendes, Poirier, Holloway. Hardly journeymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

JK wants gaetje next at 170. Dana is creaming himself over khabib. But if khabib tony goes ahead in april then conor khabib probably wouldnt be until early july.
    Jk said conor would be in before the summer so gaetje would be a good knock ( to use conors words) but i would love to see him fight masvidal next. The build up would be funny and they both are real go forward fighters
    We'll see
    He needs a few fights under his belt before facing Masvidal, more end of the year type fight, Khabib v Conor is the golden goose for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Champ in three weight divisions would mean more to him I think, than regaining the LW championship from Khabib.

I disagree. He rankles at the notion that he can't beat Khabib and he wants to prove people wrong. I'm not sure if he wants that more than being a 3-weight champ but I definitely think that's one thing he definitely wants to 'remedy' as he sees it.

BigMo1 wrote: »

About half his size!!! Holloway was only about 18 when he fought him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

All around the same height, pretty much the same weight come fight night (only so much weight your body can add back after a cut)
    He had reach on them, but he has that on most people, probably due to the size of his shoulders for his frame.
    Nothing journeymen about any of them, all top tier fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,563 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

2 of those mentioned, Holloway and Poirier are not half his size. Holloway is bigger. It seems that he has a harder time making 145 than McGregor did. Poirier is much the same size, which is why he is fighting at LW.

Holloway was 21 when he fought McGregor. 4 months shy of being 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BigMo1 wrote: »

All of those fights were fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

The Nal wrote: »
    All of those fights were fixed.

The sad thing is, apart from Holloway a lot of people did claim they were fixed!

Advertisement