Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Where do we rank Catholic Conor on the scale of mythical fighters? I think hes above Full Camp Mendes for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see JK would like a fight with Justin at 170 which just seems mad to keep Conor from having to cut weight unless a title is on the line. I'm all on for him getting another title shot but to fight outside the division for convenience is a bit much.
    I have a memory of Justin saying that he doesn't cut much weight to make 155, it is somewhere around his walking weight. I'd be very surprised to see that fight at 170 though would love to see it at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Guy Person wrote: »
    I have a memory of Justin saying that he doesn't cut much weight to make 155, it is somewhere around his walking weight. I'd be very surprised to see that fight at 170 though would love to see it at 155.

I'd love to see Conor v Justin at 155 while he waits for the winner of khabib v tony. Preferably on the khabib card so the weight cut is done if someone pulls out. Handy fight for Conor but definitely not a gimme especially if Justin decides to blow the cobwebs off his wrestling. However if it didn't happen, i could see Conor shaming him into keeping it standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

hots wrote: »
    Cowboy didn't turn up, and wasn't given much of a chance to either.

Yeah, kind of similar to how Aldo never showed up for his fight with McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Anyone have any idea of how much the likes of John Kavanagh, coaching team would be getting for Saturday night??? Not sure anyone would have a clue....Just curious to know if the likes of John and team would be getting wealthy from Conors success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone have any idea of how much the likes of John Kavanagh, coaching team would be getting for Saturday night??? Not sure anyone would have a clue....Just curious to know if the likes of John and team would be getting wealthy from Conors success?

They would definitely be comfortable...

Coach usually gets 10-15 percent...after taxes and expenses, that could be 150-200k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I'd love to see Conor v Justin at 155 while he waits for the winner of khabib v tony. Preferably on the khabib card so the weight cut is done if someone pulls out. Handy fight for Conor but definitely not a gimme especially if Justin decides to blow the cobwebs off his wrestling. However if it didn't happen, i could see Conor shaming him into keeping it standing.

I’d say Justin wouldn’t need to be shamed, the man is seemingly determined to never wrestle in MMA fights. That would be some double header alright, Khabib v Tony and Conor v Justin. He’d definitely get a tougher fight out of Justin than Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

John Kavanagh seems like a humble guy and not in it for the money ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭Homelander

Guy Person wrote: »
    I’d say Justin wouldn’t need to be shamed, the man is seemingly determined to never wrestle in MMA fights. That would be some double header alright, Khabib v Tony and Conor v Justin. He’d definitely get a tougher fight out of Justin than Cowboy.

Yeah it's actually infuriating to watch sometimes, can't remember the fight exactly but he was getting lit up on the feet and he failed to even attempt to take it to the ground. Either Alvarez or Porier, think it was Porier. He was getting seriously busted up but stayed standing until he was out on his feet.

I think he'd be a good match up for McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The UFC are not putting Khabib vs Tony, and a McGregor fight on the same card. It would be one big PPV instead of two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Ballymun Bohs

The UFC are not putting Khabib vs Tony, and a McGregor fight on the same card. It would be one big PPV instead of two.

Yep and McGregor already rejected the idea of not being the main event on a card fighting Cowboy. I couldn't see JG agreeing to it either knowing it would be a 3 round fight as opposed to a 5 round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I think I missed that knee to to the side of the head after those shoulder shots, it was flush!..........**** me that's one hell of a dive Cowboy took in this fight

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Cowboy out for 6 months due to broken nose and fractured orbital according to medical assessment team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Zero-Cool wrote:
    Cowboy out for 6 months due to broken nose and fractured orbital according to medical assessment team.

Do him no harm. You have to worry about the state he will be in in ten years. Saw the list of injuries he has had from fighting/extreme sports this week and it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Pssh, clearly fake injuries...

Goes to show you how much damage a few shoulders can do.

Dana made a pretty good point about Cowboys future. He'd be better off in the likes of Bellator where he can finish out the next year or two with better win prospects before retiring. Fighting the top 10 in UFC isn't going to go well for him going forward. Though equally he'd probably get a much better pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,066 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But who has he actually fought, mostly journey men at 145lbs who he was much bigger than
    They were all the same weight at the weight in. If any of them could make them BW they would.
    Have I ever tried to sprawl? If you knew how ridiculous that question was you wouldn't have asked.
    It’s a perfectly reasonable question, regardless of the answer. How could I know what you do in your spare time. Most people haven’t, it’s no big deal.

Avoiding the question “if only you knew” is odd.
    Your just posting random lines without backing anything up. The fight week noise should be over.

Anyone who describes McGregors previous opponents as journeymen hasn't a clue. It's the classic story.

Mendes - he didn't have enough time for a proper camp
    Aldo - it was a fluke
    Holloway - he was 'younger' and not at his best*
    Porier - see above*
    Alvarez - apparently a bad champion
    Siver - apparent journeyman
    Brimmage- apparent journeyman
    Brandao - apparent journeyman
    Buchinger - apparently not great calibre
    Diaz 2 - apparently a fix
    Cerrone - apparently a fix

Fought Khabib, fair enough lost soundly, but showed decent grappling, went four rounds, won a round, against a 28-0, freak quality fighter.

Like, fair enough, one or two or three wins could be questioned in any context, but when you look at McGregors record as a whole, anyone who describes all his oppoents as journeymen, or implicates that he fluked his way to top, it's just plain conspiracy nonsense.

I particularly love the excuses for Porier and Max, as if they were just out of nappies when they fought McGregor. Completely ignoring their incredible records when those matches were made.

*Apparently, 'they were not at their best' exclusively applies to McGregor's opponents and not himself.

I couldn't care less if people hate McGregor, but jesus, at least have the decency to acknowledge his ability rather than pretend he's somehow fluked his way to the top.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads my warning seems to be falling on deaf ears..give up the nonsense about a fix and trying to be funny poking at it, you are just goading others that earlier posted and got reprimanded. It's not clever and you will end up on the receiving end yourself..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Homelander wrote: »
    Dana made a pretty good point about Cowboys future. He'd be better off in the likes of Bellator where he can finish out the next year or two with better win prospects before retiring. Fighting the top 10 in UFC isn't going to go well for him going forward. Though equally he'd probably get a much better pay day.

Bellator you say??
    "I re-did my contract so thanks Conor, appreciate that. "Moving forward my next six fights are all money fights, not just this one.
    "We did a contract for all of them, I'm stoked, happy to be here and to get the respect this old dinosaur deserves for being here.
    "I've been in the sport a long time and I deserve the respect I get and it's cool to see Conor finally giving it to me."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

J Mysterio wrote: »

Amazing at this stage that hes created a new "shot".

Will the clinch ever be the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Hes ranked 3 at lightweight now and 13 in welterweight. The welterweight rankings are good for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I think I missed that knee to to the side of the head after those shoulder shots, it was flush!..........**** me that's one hell of a dive Cowboy took in this fight

Yeah that view really shows a sweet connection to the temple, I missed it aswell, this looks like the one that really distorted him and opened up for the head kick.

it's was brilliant to see him using head kicks again, when was the last time Siver?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The Nal wrote: »
    Amazing at this stage that hes created a new "shot".

Clearly you've never watched any bare knuckle boxing fights with travelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

About as serious as the posts on here should be taken...

I see JK would like a fight with Justin at 170 which just seems mad to keep Conor from having to cut weight unless a title is on the line. I'm all on for him getting another title shot but to fight outside the division for convenience is a bit much.

It'd probably be better for a lot of fighters health if they were doing the same.
    The extreme dehydration that comes with making weight for a fight is terrible for your body, and that's before you go absorbing shots to the head, with less fluid around your brain to protect it.

I know we're accustomed to these massive weight cuts at this stage and also of the UFC's policy of not making 'catch-weight' fights, but I'd be much happier seeing more and more fights at fighters walk around weights.
    If McGregor can force that on the UFC because of his profile, then good for him (and his opponent).

spix wrote: »
    Bellator you say??

What does that change? I said he'd be better off in Bellator if he wants to get a few more wins before he retires. I can't see him making a big comeback in the UFC Octagon fighting ranked. Nothing to do with his contract.
    “I’ll talk to him and see what he wants to do,” White said. “He’s like the lighter version of Chuck Liddell. This is what the kid does. It’s what he does, it’s who he is.

“The not-so-fun part of the job is when you have to have these kind of conversations and ask him what he wants to do. I’d like to see him take a break.”

And while he has no problem if Cerrone wishes to continue, he warned the welterweight he would have no easy fights if he decided to move back down to lightweight either.

“That’s not what we do here. We don’t do that here,” he added. “When the rankings come out to Tuesday, we’ll see where he ranks. And that will determine what fights he would fight next.

“But if you feel if you like you should fight guys that aren’t ranked in the UFC, you probably shouldn’t be fighting in the UFC. Because there’s plenty of places where you can go and make a lot of money.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Sorry if a repost..

https://imgur.com/8ThuqAk

I'm expecting the "who the fcuk is that guy" response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Homelander wrote: »
    What does that change? I said he'd be better off in Bellator if he wants to get a few more wins before he retires. I can't see him making a big comeback in the UFC Octagon fighting ranked. Nothing to do with his contract.

Why would cowboy want 'wins'? Look at his record. He fights for a living, for the pay cheque. You think he'd go to bellator after just making the biggest contract of his career with the UFC, just to get wins. Also its a complete myth that fighters in other organizations are less dangerous. More often than not when a UFC fighter joins another org they get the worst beatings of their careers. Even if he did win, it would be meaningless to him and the fans, as they'll just say then he is not 'UFC calibre' and could only win outside it. Cowboy will never fight outside the UFC, the only time people do is if they were offered better money, which cowboy most definitely will not as he has always been making good money and now even more after his new mcgregor contract.

Dana is just speaking nonsense, probably didn't even mean to say that, its just something he always says when asked about fighters coming off several losses, what they should do. He and all ufc fans know cowboy is not scared to fight any 155er, look at the beasts at 170 he has fought recently.

Advertisement