Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't think it was a takedown attempt, he was clinching him.

Yeah not sure myself but Conor backed up so quickly its difficult to tell. Very low for a clinch!

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1219022335451095040

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah not sure myself but Conor backed up so quickly its difficult to tell. Very low for a clinch!

https://twitter.com/John_Kavanagh/status/1219022335451095040

Jesus, when you watch it in slowmo, if Cerrone ducks down 6 inches less, he doesn't get caught by Conor's thigh/hip and quite probably gets some sort of takedown attempt. Both arms are grasping for it but the momentum of Conor completely throws him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭bunderoon

joeguevara wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the fight was fixed?

I do unfortunately..
    I'd love to believe that these great fighters just experience sudden brain farts and forget how to defend themselves. I've not into mad theories. But I'm not a fanboy either. I enjoy the fights without any bias.

You see, the UFC have moved a little into the WWF/WWE space over the last couple of years. Money has destroyed it. Dana bought it for ~2million and it sold for ~4billion.
    McGregor's hype has been the vehicle to propel the organisation into heights that it has never been before.

But this simply goes down to who benefits. It doe not benefit Dana for cowboy to win. Its why he was selected. It was his first PPV deal and its the end of his career. But it does so massively for Conor & Dana to win and win so convincingly that he's now not required to fight 3-5 times before facing off against Khabib again. Financially, the easy comeback for Conor paves the way for the best return for Dana.

For the fight, just look at how Cowboy doesnt move from the shoulder 'blows'.
    He moves his head away from the kick and Conors toes connected with his Cheek. He does the same as Mendes did and slowly leans into a fall to his left side inviting Conor to 'finish' it. And the finish was one or two convincing light blows and the rest were misses. Job done.
    These guys are tough as nails. They can take much more than this and we've seen this time and time again pre-Conor era.

Conor is a great fighter. No doubt about it. But his mouth and persona is worth far far more to Dana than his fighting skills.

I've love to believe that these types of fights are legit. But I cant with what I've seen.

As for the WWF/WWE reference, just look at his next pre-planned opponent (Masvidal) at ringside the other night with the belt around his shoulder. It's turning into a soap opera.

Big money semi final PPVs:
    Khabib vs Ferguson
    McGregor vs Masvidal

Final: will be a world record MMA PPV
    Khabib vs ........

• Unadulterated bollocks.

Whatever you think of Cerrone, he won't take a cheque to dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

bunderoon wrote: »
    I do unfortunately..........

Didn't bother to read past this part.

• Advertisement

I do unfortunately..

Do you think Cerrones last fight was too then? One shot to the ear, a couple of short uppercuts and Cerrrone balled up. 4 mins 45.

No broken nose, no black eye, no kick in the face, multiple shots to the temple etc.

Or Masvidal? Same thing, half decent shot, balled up. Cerrone has been done for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,580 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The only fix was in Cowboy being the opponent.

It's no disrespect to Cowboy to say that a fully fit and focused McGregor is on a different level and should be beating him. That's not to say he was a zero risk opponent but the biggest risk to McGregor was always going to be himself.

Talk of a fix is nonsense. The suggestion that they can take much more of what was dished out falls down when you see the damage to Cowboy's face.

Masvidal was there because he was hoping for a call out. So was Usman.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I do unfortunately..
    I'd love to believe that these great fighters just experience sudden brain farts and forget how to defend themselves. I've not into mad theories. But I'm not a fanboy either. I enjoy the fights without any bias.

You see, the UFC have moved a little into the WWF/WWE space over the last couple of years. Money has destroyed it. Dana bought it for ~2million and it sold for ~4billion.
    McGregor's hype has been the vehicle to propel the organisation into heights that it has never been before.

But this simply goes down to who benefits. It doe not benefit Dana for cowboy to win. Its why he was selected. It was his first PPV deal and its the end of his career. But it does so massively for Conor & Dana to win and win so convincingly that he's now not required to fight 3-5 times before facing off against Khabib again. Financially, the easy comeback for Conor paves the way for the best return for Dana.

He moves his head away from the kick and Conors toes connected with his Cheek. He does the same as Mendes did and slowly leans into a fall to his left side inviting Conor to 'finish' it. And the finish was one or two convincing light blows and the rest were misses. Job done.
    These guys are tough as nails. They can take much more than this and we've seen this time and time again pre-Conor era.

Conor is a great fighter. No doubt about it. But his mouth and persona is worth far far more to Dana than his fighting skills.

I've love to believe that these types of fights are legit. But I cant with what I've seen.

As for the WWF/WWE reference, just look at his next pre-planned opponent (Masvidal) at ringside the other night with the belt around his shoulder. It's turning into a soap opera.

Khabib vs Ferguson
    McGregor vs Masvidal

Khabib vs ........

A new low for a discussion board with a comically low bar as is. If The UFC are suddenly in the business of fixing fights, why wouldn't they fix their biggest star to beat Khabib in 2018 rather than suffer an embarrassing 4-round beating?

The Nal wrote: »
    Do you think Cerrones last fight was too then? One shot to the ear, a couple of short uppercuts and Cerrrone balled up. 4 mins 45.

No broken nose, no black eye, no kick in the face, multiple shots to the temple etc.

Or Masvidal? Same thing, half decent shot, balled up. Cerrone has been done for a few years now.

No. When I think one thing, it doesn't normally apply it to all others.
    I haven't watched that fight, but will do and then see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I do unfortunately..

Khabib vs Ferguson
    McGregor vs Masvidal

Khabib vs ........

Jaysus.....................

• Advertisement

BigMo1 wrote: »
    A new low for a discussion board with a comically low bar as is. If The UFC are suddenly in the business of fixing fights, why wouldn't they fix their biggest star to beat Khabib in 2018 rather than suffer an embarrassing 4-round beating?

Where did I say they fix all fights?
    I believe Dana fixed this fight as to ensure Conor looks as good as he can and helps him negate fighting 3-5 more times for another title shot. This was what was said he'd have to do after he was outclassed by Khabib.

Don't jump to exaggerations.

"A new low for a discussion board with a comically low bar as is."
    A sub-topic on a public boards site should never be allowed to become an echo chamber. I have a different opinion from yours. Does that make me disregard / disrespect yours? No.

The only fix was in Cowboy being the opponent.

It's no disrespect to Cowboy to say that a fully fit and focused McGregor is on a different level and should be beating him. That's not to say he was a zero risk opponent but the biggest risk to McGregor was always going to be himself.

Talk of a fix is nonsense. The suggestion that they can take much more of what was dished out falls down when you see the damage to Cowboy's face.

Explain the logic of a callout?

Unadulterated bollocks.

Whatever you think of Cerrone, he won't take a cheque to dive.

Do you know him personally?
    This was his biggest payday and near retirement. It's not a stretch to see that he could have been selected for Conor's comeback.
    Cowboy lost his last 3. He cannot compete at the highest level anymore. Doesnt mean though that he just turns into a $hite fighter all of a sudden.

fitzparker wrote: »
    Jaysus.....................

I know... Pre-Conor mania, I'd say the same as yourself.

Explain the logic of a callout?

Can you not just make your point about it directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I do unfortunately..

Khabib vs Ferguson
    McGregor vs Masvidal

Khabib vs ........
    Wow...

Do you understand fighting at all, or how a knockout/knockdown blow works?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Stop entertaining this buffoon.

He should be reprimanded by the powers that be soon hopefully.

Can you not just make your point about it directly.

A call out as you know is done in Boxing and WWE / WWF.
    Bouts in UFC like the above two are set up and planned out. A fight does not get organised because a prospective opponent happens to get ring side seats and starts 'calling out' the champ.
    This was a serious sport. This calling out stuff is for grown up kids to lap up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Wow...

I don't like MMA, and McGregor even less, but even I think that's a load of boll0x

You'd want Bruce Lee levels of mastery to choreography it so fast and brutally surely.

The Dana wanting Conor to win quick early makes sense, but the rest, wow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Really enjoyed the fight (or the circa 40 seconds of a fight) and thought that Conor could have done no more to demonstrate where is fighting ability and his head was at. He was humble in victory and was a nice touch embracing Cerrone's grandmother.

I am not entertaining any fix speculation and Cerrone was the right person to fight on the comeback trail.

Absolutely ridiculous that the Sun devoted a full page today to fix speculation and even quoted, wait for it, a tweet from a UFC fan immediately after the event and Nate Diaz. Now that was some journalism.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Stop entertaining this buffoon.

He should be reprimanded by the powers that be soon hopefully.

You referring to me?
    I've a dif opinion formed on what I saw in the match. I am replying to the replies that I got.

Are you seriously saying that because I think that this fight was fixed that I should be reprimanded? Seriously?
    Should I be reporting you for acting like a child by calling me names?

You got my echo chamber mentioned previously?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the fight (or the circa 40 seconds of a fight) and thought that Conor could have done no more to demonstrate where is fighting ability and his head was at. He was humble in victory and was a nice touch embracing Cerrone's grandmother.

I am not entertaining any fix speculation and Cerrone was the right person to fight on the comeback trail.

Absolutely ridiculous that the Sun devoted a full page today to fix speculation and even quoted, wait for it, a tweet from a UFC fan immediately after the event and Nate Diaz. Now that was some journalism.

You are right. If they are to call it a fix, they should detail each movement that they witnessed and bring it to it's logical conclusion instead of just quoting someone else.
    Poor journalism indeed.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't like MMA, and McGregor even less, but even I think that's a load of boll0x

You'd want Bruce Lee levels of mastery to choreography it so fast and brutally surely.

The Dana wanting Conor to win quick early makes sense, but the rest, wow

Whats the rest?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You referring to me?
    I've a dif opinion formed on what I saw in the match. I am replying to the replies that I got.

Are you seriously saying that because I think that this fight was fixed that I should be reprimanded? Seriously?
    Should I be reporting you for acting like a child by calling me names?

You got my echo chamber mentioned previously?

You've a different opinion formed but that's very distinct from it being an informed opinion.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Wow...

Yes I do.

aloooof wrote: »
    You've a different opinion formed but that's very distinct from it being an informed opinion.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Can you reply to all posts in one post ?

This was a serious sport. This calling out stuff is for grown up kids to lap up.

15 years ago. Its always been a thing in the UFC.

People have been calling each other out in boxing for 130 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yes I do.
    Your previous posts indicate that you do not. If you did, you wouldn't be leaping to such "theories"
    And please, multi-quote.

• Advertisement

A call out as you know is done in Boxing and WWE / WWF.
    Bouts in UFC like the above two are set up and planned out. A fight does not get organised because a prospective opponent happens to get ring side seats and starts 'calling out' the champ.

Masvidal-Diaz wasn't on the cards before Nate called for after he beat Pettis.

All week, the talk was about who McGregor might face next. Usman and Masvidal both came up in interviews. Of course a fight would be made if he called for either next.

If you don't think big fights like that are made because of who a big name calls for after a win, then I don't know what to tell you.

Advertisement