Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

HE500 wrote: »
    Defending his belts doesn't bring in money?

Maybe just maybe he cannot live with his ego after a loss and Dana gives him what he wants because what McGregor wants, he gets. McGregor might swell own/run the UFC

Guarantee you if he lost to Cerrone he would cry for a rematch and be given it on a plate.

Ok, I'll go further. The most money. McGregor even said it in the the press conference. How much money is enough?

The problem is that for Dana and the UFC, there's no such thing as "enough". The entire organisation is a cancerous, parasitic, bottom feeder that is only interested in squeezing every last dollar from the fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

spix wrote: »
    What did you make of cowboy throwing his only strike of the fight, a kick, after conor just raised his left hand to his head, even though he had a few seconds to throw it before when mcgregors hand was lower.

Head kicks often land around the guard.
    Perfect example is Conor’s kick

https://twitter.com/Bzr924/status/1218768575533588480
    spix wrote: »
    Why does someone who thinks it was fixed have to be a troll or idiot? Can we not just have different opinions? Imo anyone who thinks it was a legit fight is a troll or idiot :)

Because it’s nonsense. It really is.
    The same nonsense was spouted after Brandao, Poirer, Mendes and Aldo. Basically every first round finish.

Look at it this way. Say UFC was going to fix a fight. You think they tell a fighter to go down in 30 seconds without landing a strike?
    LOL He ducked. Thats it. There was no attempt at any takedown. Watch the video. His arms don't even move for god sake

Takedown attempts are more legs than anything. And “Ducking” is a much important than moving your arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,603 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I don't follow other sports but does it happen with other forums like GAA, rugby, soccer where someone strolls in with little knowledge of the sport spouting FIX? A guy got his nose and orbital busted in 40 seconds without landing a punch and did so in front of his wife, baby and granny. Huge disrespect to a legend for even suggesting it after what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

A fans view of the fight. I think probably even better than the tv footage. No sound tho.

https://v.redd.it/qpcr60g7uub41/DASH_1080

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Can anyone explain why Connor keeps being handed rematches but never has to defend his belts? Dana pretty much said Khabib needs to beat McGregor a second time to earn his legacy. Yet NEVER does he say McGregor needs to defend his belts for his legacy.

According to Dana Khabib beating Connor once is not enough. He needs to do it again. Does that mean he will say the same thing if McGregor won the rematch and then say McGregor needs to beat him twice? I doubt it. Sooner people realise Dana and Conor are a tag team the better
    Conor is box office gold, he's a class fighter also, First every double champion. He's clever in fighting sporadically plus he never dodges a fight like Khabib vs Ferguson over the years, Conor will fill in at very shirt notice. As much as ppl hate to admit it, UFC is brilliant with Mc Gregor in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

LOL He ducked. Thats it. There was no attempt at any takedown. Watch the video. His arms don't even move for god sake
    Yes, he ducked down and out to the side to set up a double leg, you can see him grasping after Conor's thigh hit him before he got pulled up into the clinch.
    Conor is box office gold, he's a class fighter also, First every double champion. He's clever in fighting sporadically plus he never dodges a fight like Khabib vs Ferguson over the years, Conor will fill in at very shirt notice. As much as ppl hate to admit it, UFC is brilliant with Mc Gregor in it.
    Not aware of them dodging, more that they kept getting injured or the likes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I'm gonna post this once more for EVERYONE.....

This is an MMA forum, not the place for such trolling nonsense about it being a fix take it to Sherdog or somewhere....if someone does then ignore it..or any other trolls..move on.

If you decide to engage in it and derail the forum then you are going to be on the receiving end of a card too for ignoring my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    A fans view of the fight. I think probably even better than the tv footage. No sound tho.

Man, those shoulder strikes look even more savage when you see his head snap like that.

And that kick of McGregors had snap in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I actually don't think that was a good performance by McGregor. If he came out like that against Khabib and swung a punch that missed so wide and with both his feet off the ground, Khabbib would have taken him down and smashed him for literally the entire round because there is no way he we would get back up with Khabib on top of him in the middle of the Octagon and no cage to push off.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Annd9

I actually don't think that was a good performance by McGregor. If he came out like that against Khabib and swung a punch that missed so wide and with both his feet off the ground, Khabbib would have taken him down and smashed him for literally the entire round because there is no way he we would get back up with Khabib on top of him in the middle of the Octagon and no cage to push off.

Not a good performance ? He landed 19 out of 20 shots ..... He was fighting Cowboy not Khabib , totally different style (even though Cowboy has good takedowns) . How many times did he rush at Khabib like that in the first fight ?

• Advertisement

Annd9 wrote: »
    Not a good performance ? He landed 19 out of 20 shots ..... He was fighting Cowboy not Khabib , totally different style (even though Cowboy has good takedowns) . How many times did he rush at Khabib like that in the first fight ?

That's what happens when someone stands there and doesn't fight back.

McGregors two feet were off the ground and he was half way over Cerrone's back leaving himself completely vulnerable regardless of who the opponent was.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,161 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregors two feet were off the ground and he was half way over Cerrone's back leaving himself completely vulnerable regardless of who the opponent was.
    To prevent a takedown you need to sprawl.
    To sprawl your legs need to both come off the ground.

Cowboy missed the takedown because his timing was off (he was late). If he level changed earlier Conor wouldn’t haven ended up in that position.

All of those actions are related. Criticising one in isolation is silly. As it teleporting in a different opponent and assuming the actions are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Ferguson has literally fought the entire lightweight division for years - not sure how he dodges people more than McGregor. He gets injured like an idiot a lot though through his training.
    With the short notice fights involving McGregor in the UFC he was the one that had the full camp and the replacement was in at the last minute. So we should really say Diaz and Mendes are willing to fight on short notice (money helped!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Cowboy taps at 30 seconds to signal to herb to call it a day

Also Conor didnt do the Vinnie mcMahon strut because he wanted to throw the scent off a WWE feel to the fight

(Joke, don't ban me Axwell!!!)

fitzparker wrote: »
    Cowboy taps at 30 seconds to signal to herb to call it a day

Have watched video five times and I don't see that tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

He does it with his left leg, a hand tap would have been too obvious in an arranged fight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

McGregor admonished himself for this in the post fight presser, blamed it on his time off. Was an overly eager shot.

fitzparker wrote: »
    He does it with his left leg, a hand tap would have been too obvious in an arranged fight

At 30 secs his left leg is tucked under. There's no tap at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

At 30 secs his left leg is tucked under. There's no tap at all .

I think he is taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Have watched video five times and I don't see that tap.

Have read his post one time and saw it say hes only joking.

• Advertisement

Attacking busses, old men, speeding fines, i can get over those but a trump supporter?? Nope, can't do it anymore. #khabibtime

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1219461358967762944?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Great athlete but was a horrible human

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Attacking busses, old men, speeding fines, i can get over those but a trump supporter?? Nope, can't do it anymore. #khabibtime

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1219461358967762944?s=19

I wouldn't take that so seriously.

Mellor wrote: »
    To prevent a takedown you need to sprawl.
    To sprawl your legs need to both come off the ground.

Cowboy missed the takedown because his timing was off (he was late). If he level changed earlier Conor wouldn’t haven ended up in that position.

All of those actions are related. Criticising one in isolation is silly. As it teleporting in a different opponent and assuming the actions are the same.

Nonsense. That wasn't a sprawl, he was hanging over Cerrone's back and you don't sprawl forwards, you sprawl backwards.
    Seems odd that Cowboy missed such an easy opportunity to take him down.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

Zero-Cool wrote: »

He's not far wrong, Trump is a very good President, certainly the best in a long time.

I wouldn't take that so seriously.

About as serious as the posts on here should be taken...

I see JK would like a fight with Justin at 170 which just seems mad to keep Conor from having to cut weight unless a title is on the line. I'm all on for him getting another title shot but to fight outside the division for convenience is a bit much.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yes, he ducked down and out to the side to set up a double leg, you can see him grasping after Conor's thigh hit him before he got pulled up into the clinch.

Not aware of them dodging, more that they kept getting injured or the likes.

Always an excuse not to fight, can expect Conor to fill in for either of a short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

That's what happens when someone stands there and doesn't fight back.

It was all the adrenaline of his first fight in ages, he even referenced that himself in the post match interview, different fighter different tactics, Cowboy is known as a slow starter and guess what he didn't even get to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Nonsense. That wasn't a sprawl, he was hanging over Cerrone's back and you don't sprawl forwards, you sprawl backwards.
    Seems odd that Cowboy missed such an easy opportunity to take him down.

you can see his arms trying to go around conor until he's knocked back by Conor's hip/thigh and momentum from him rushing forward?

Advertisement