Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Homelander wrote: »
    Dana made a pretty good point about Cowboys future. He'd be better off in the likes of Bellator where he can finish out the next year or two with better win prospects before retiring. Fighting the top 10 in UFC isn't going to go well for him going forward. Though equally he'd probably get a much better pay day.

He lost to number 1,3, and 4. Beat number 9 (Al Iaquinta). I'd fancy his chances against Hooker, Felder, and Barboza. Maybe even Kevin Lee. People forget the talk was of Cowboy being on course for a title shot until he ran into Ferguson.
    He should keep away from the top 5, but he's definitely still top 10 as it currently stands

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

derfderf wrote: »
    He lost to number 1,3, and 4. Beat number 9 (Al Iaquinta). I'd fancy his chances against Hooker, Felder, and Barboza. Maybe even Kevin Lee. People forget the talk was of Cowboy being on course for a title shot until he ran into Ferguson.
    He should keep away from the top 5, but he's definitely still top 10 as it currently stands

Hooker , Felder run through Cowboy at lightweight ,
    He has not business against the top guys .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cowboys chin is gone. Too many KOs. Conor broke his nose and eye socket with a 3 inch shoulder bump. Ferguson turned his face into mush etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

Any ppv numbers yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

over 2 mil according to mac life

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »
    Any ppv numbers yet?

2 million is the latest estimate. 2nd biggest after the Khabib fight which did 2.4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

over 2 mil according to mac life

Incredible if true given the lack of build-up and the new ESPN+ paywall.

Might wait to hear from an outlet that isn't the media wing of McGregor before getting too excited

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Surely there's no way that card did over 2 million buys?!

Its quite murky now with ESPN+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Dave Meltzer just said the internet traffic/metrics were similar to a 2 million PPV and all the rags are running with it as fact. Meltzer has been shown to way overestimate buys in the past, he may at one point been a good source for PPV as he was meant to have 'sources' but now the UFC is through ESPN+ he is guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Nal wrote: »
    Cowboys chin is gone. Too many KOs. Conor broke his nose and eye socket with a 3 inch shoulder bump. Ferguson turned his face into mush etc.

Who was it against when he blew his nose and his eye popped like a balloon ....that was one of the most gnarly things I've seen

If that done 2 million i give up !
    Couldnt have done that
    Do they release exact figures anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Who was it against when he blew his nose and his eye popped like a balloon ....that was one of the most gnarly things I've seen
    Ferguson.
    That'll happen when your nose is broken. He knew as soon as he done it he ****ed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Think we underestimate how big this fight was. Huge numbers on emmbedd and huge gate. Not that surprising if it did do 2m. It's the McGregor show, opponents or belts dont matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

US2 wrote: »
    Think we underestimate how big this fight was. Huge numbers on emmbedd and huge gate. Not that surprising if it did do 2m. It's the McGregor show, opponents or belts dont matter.

Ah catch yourself on, if it did 2 million it would be an enormous surprise. Opponents or belts may not better but people tiring of your schtick and extracurricular activities after faffing around for the guts of three years definitely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ah catch yourself on, if it did 2 million it would be an enormous surprise. Opponents or belts may not better but people tiring of your schtick and extracurricular activities after faffing around for the guts of three years definitely does.

And likewise people hoping to see him get battered because of those actives would buy the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

US2 wrote: »

It was definitely bigger outside of Ireland than it was in. Anecdotally, I couldn't get into my local bar Saturday night as it was full for the fight. Thought I'd be able to ramble in as the week before it wasn't very busy when the NFL divisional games were on as well as the two local rival hockey teams playing each other. McGregor fight and there wasn't a seat to be had, seemed mad. Two million buys still seems high though.

We forget in ireland just how big he is in the usa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Anyone any idea if McGregor hit the gym soon after the last fight as promised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

sc86 wrote: »
    We forget in ireland just how big he is in the usa

Worldwide. Most sold UFC in Australia and Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Anyone any idea if McGregor hit the gym soon after the last fight as promised.

No idea, who's Jim?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For those who are holding on to the idea that he might indeed fight in March or April rather than waiting around for Khabib, how soon do ye reckon we'd need to see an announcement before writing off that possibility? 246 was announced at the end of November which would imply sex weeks minimum, but then again I can't remember back to when other fights were announced vs when they were held.

In other words, how long can we wait for an announcement for March or April before assuming it's not going ahead and we'll be waiting at least until the summer when Khabib has recovered from UFC 249 in April?

As an aside, I sincerely doubt this would happen for several reasons (potential for troublemaking from either fighter or camp if they're all at the same event together, plus Conor's aversion to doing co-main events) but how epic would it be if he ended up fighting on the same night as Khabib v Ferguson as a co-main, with the assumption that the winner of each fight will subsequently face off in July or August? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

In other words, how long can we wait for an announcement for March or April before assuming it's not going ahead and we'll be waiting at least until the summer when Khabib has recovered from UFC 249 in April?

Tony to upset the apple tart and slice khabib up with some spinning **** before subbing him ....can't get over how many are framing a khabib win as a foregone conclusion..if poirier can nearly sub khabib then Tony has more than a chance in this match up

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Tony to upset the apple tart and slice khabib up with some spinning **** before subbing him ....can't get over how many are framing a khabib win as a foregone conclusion..if poirier can nearly sub khabib then Tony has more than a chance in this match up

Jesus, would absolutely love Tony to pull off the win. I'd be happy if he at least makes the fight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Jesus, would absolutely love Tony to pull off the win. I'd be happy if he at least makes the fight though.

Ya that's true , I'd firstly just love to see the match up . Was genuinely gutted for a few days when it was cancelled last time around . A Tony win would be an added bonus .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Conor is more famous outside Ireland. Whenever I tell anyone I’m irish I get the Conor mcGregor ****. It annoys me because he’s a terrible representation of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisM

I'd love to see Tony beat Khabib.

Who would McGregor fight though, Tony for the belt or Khabib for revenge?

I reckon Ali will have a rematch clause for what that's worth in the UFC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

UFC 249 is in Vegas. It features Issy and Yoel.
    Iszzy last can almost broke the lowest prelim viewers. So it's possible that the PPV didn't do great either.

Possible that 248 gets the McGregor boost.
    He's not fighting on 249 and 250 is in Brazil.
    Senor Frog wrote: »

I don't think Tony will win. But I think it's pretty shïtty that everyone is forgetting about him. Khabib isn't unbeatable.

Advertisement