Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd like Tony to beat Khabib but the ease at which Kevin Lee got him down and held him there is not a good sign. Khabib won't gas as quick as Lee did.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fromvert wrote: »
    Khabib won't make basic jiujitsu mistakes as Lee did.
    FTFY

Mellor wrote: »
    UFC 249 is in Vegas. It features Issy and Yoel.
    Iszzy last can almost broke the lowest prelim viewers. So it's possible that the PPV didn't do great either.

Possible that 248 gets the McGregor boost.
    He's not fighting on 249 and 250 is in Brazil.

I don't think Tony will win. But I think it's pretty shïtty that everyone is forgetting about him. Khabib isn't unbeatable.

Im sorry but a fit tony beats Khabib all day. he can keep him away and his cardio is the stuff of nightmares for Khabib. I think it hasn't happened for a reason, Tony is the perfect amount of crazy, he beats khabib, without any injury,Khabib knows this. Tony has zero fear too, because he's nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I think Tony's lack of fear will give him an edge as he won't be afraid of Khabib's takedowns like everyone else has been, so can go for some mad **** striking.

I think he'll do well, just not sure if it'll be enough to beat Khabib, he'll cut him though.

i could see him actually stuffing and dodging the take downs leaving khabib no reason but to strike, and it's game over,

mind you, my cerrone vs mcgregor could not have been more wrong, so who am I to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

For those who are holding on to the idea that he might indeed fight in March or April rather than waiting around for Khabib, how soon do ye reckon we'd need to see an announcement before writing off that possibility? 246 was announced at the end of November which would imply sex weeks minimum, but then again I can't remember back to when other fights were announced vs when they were held.

In other words, how long can we wait for an announcement for March or April before assuming it's not going ahead and we'll be waiting at least until the summer when Khabib has recovered from UFC 249 in April?

As an aside, I sincerely doubt this would happen for several reasons (potential for troublemaking from either fighter or camp if they're all at the same event together, plus Conor's aversion to doing co-main events) but how epic would it be if he ended up fighting on the same night as Khabib v Ferguson as a co-main, with the assumption that the winner of each fight will subsequently face off in July or August? :pac:

Kavanagh said they would train for April assuming one of the two would drop out. I'd say they would wait up to the last week. If nothing happens he could fight in may June and take on winner Sept Oct.
    Cowboy fight showed conor doesn't need months of promotion anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭creeper1

I'm not sure how much I believe about this Connor is ready to step in if either tony or khabib get injured.

presumably he'd need at least a week's notice for the weight cut. a weight cut is a difficult thing and not something you do for the mere possibility of getting a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

creeper1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much I believe about this Connor is ready to step in if either tony or khabib get injured.

presumably he'd need at least a week's notice for the weight cut. a weight cut is a difficult thing and not something you do for the mere possibility of getting a fight.

If he is training for the fight, hopeful someone drops out, his weight cut will be included in preparations!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rusty cole wrote: »
    Im sorry but a fit tony beats Khabib all day. he can keep him away and his cardio is the stuff of nightmares for Khabib. I think it hasn't happened for a reason, Tony is the perfect amount of crazy, he beats khabib, without any injury,Khabib knows this. Tony has zero fear too, because he's nuts
    I've no doubt that Tony is nuts and has zero fear.
    But if he walks into a double leg that's the round over.

I'd be more concerned that he thinks he could hold his own and is happy to grapple. That's been the downfall of a lot of grapplers.
    Tony is not as elite as people make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

rusty cole wrote: »

Honestly you may be right but what has become clear is that no one can predict to the certainty you have the outcome of any fight. Just look at what was said about Conor and Cerrone. The differing opinions was hilarious. Same as Aldo mc Gregor.

I think tony has it in him to beat khabib but it’s not all day every day. But that is what makes it great.

I am loving each fight night and the entertainment is class. I think Conor is back to his best and loving how it’s getting up his detractors noses.

I think Conor will become champion again, whatever weight and take masvidal, khabib, tony all in one sweep.

I don’t think Nate will fight again. I gave a full description of the reason why after masvidal fight. If he does get a rematch against Conor I think the damage to his eye could be irreparable.

Now, I’m looking forward to seeing fury destroy deontay....loving this thread again now Conor is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

joeguevara wrote: »
    Honestly you may be right but what has become clear is that no one can predict to the certainty you have the outcome of any fight. Just look at what was said about Conor and Cerrone. The differing opinions was hilarious. Same as Aldo mc Gregor.

I think tony has it in him to beat khabib but it’s not all day every day. But that is what makes it great.

I am loving each fight night and the entertainment is class. I think Conor is back to his best and loving how it’s getting up his detractors noses.

I think Conor will become champion again, whatever weight and take masvidal, khabib, tony all in one sweep.

I don’t think Nate will fight again. I gave a full description of the reason why after masvidal fight. If he does get a rematch against Conor I think the damage to his eye could be irreparable.

Now, I’m looking forward to seeing fury destroy deontay....loving this thread again now Conor is back.

Wasn't Nate going to get the treatment after the Masvidal fight to have the scar tissue removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

./QUOTE]

That doesn't seem to matter lately, if Bisping can get past UFC doctors with only 1 eye then i'm sure Nate could too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

off topic, fury destroy deontay with them pillow hands, yea i can see it alright :P

scudzilla wrote: »
    ./QUOTE]

That doesn't seem to matter lately, if Bisping can get past UFC doctors with only 1 eye then i'm sure Nate could too

It depends on where the fight is as in New York doctor makes final decision but in Vegas ref does.

But it could be too big a gamble from a business sense to put Nate in where PPV is concerned. Punters might be wary of shelling out knowing one punch could stop the fight. I know that’s always a risk but when there is a known injury it may mean depleted ppv.

Also I think Conor has more important fights for his legacy with Khabib, masvidal, and maybe tony. Nate will be the final curtain and not for the immediate future.

Only my opinion and may be way off track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

creeper1 wrote: »

It wont happen, its just talk and if he was serious theres zero chance either of them would fight Conor on short notice. Well maybe Tony would since well its Tony but no way Khabib would

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If he has aspirations of fighting Khabib and his next fight is Gaethje, it should be at 155lbs.

Bit of a nonsense to beat lightweight contenders at 170lbs and then come looking for a lightweight title shot.

xtal191 wrote: »
    It wont happen, its just talk and if he was serious theres zero chance either of them would fight Conor on short notice. Well maybe Tony would since well its Tony but no way Khabib would

Exactly right. Also why would Conor step in at short notice unless he has trained for the fighter and is in tip top condition. Someone of conors pedigree is not a stand in. Also everyone was saying if he lost the fight against cowboy he’d have to retire. Equally if he lost again it would be devastating. Why take the risk when he knows he will get the fight when it suits him.

I think he needs another easier fight before the big guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Will UFC put Conor in the 249 Card of one of them pull out on a weeks notice? especially if tickets are sold, they dont get a bigger gate, will casuals still buy the PPV if they haven't seen the mcgregor build up?

248,249 are wrapped up, 250 is in brazil and i dont think they will send him there.

Iv said it before, I think it will be international fight week and then MSG.

If Tony wins it will be him for the LW strap in july, if khabib wins Conor will fight Masvidal or Diaz in July then Khabib/Usman at MSG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Will they make a VMF (Versace, Mutha Fu**as) if he fights Jorge?

Will they make a VMF (Versace, Mutha Fu**as) if he fights Jorge?

I don’t think any fight with Conor needs fake belts to promote. Also I don’t think he would want it. The stick he would get. His belts and titles speak for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don’t think any fight with Conor needs fake belts to promote. Also I don’t think he would want it. The stick he would get. His belts and titles speak for themselves

I wasn't being serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Khabib doesn't care about Conor or a rematch! He'd love the cash. With his 1 first round finish and 7 decisions in the UFC.

Unbelievable wrestler but his tweets are as boring as his fights.

fitzparker wrote: »
    Will UFC put Conor in the 249 Card of one of them pull out on a weeks notice? especially if tickets are sold, they dont get a bigger gate, will casuals still buy the PPV if they haven't seen the mcgregor build up?

248,249 are wrapped up, 250 is in brazil and i dont think they will send him there.

Iv said it before, I think it will be international fight week and then MSG.

If Tony wins it will be him for the LW strap in july, if khabib wins Conor will fight Masvidal or Diaz in July then Khabib/Usman at MSG

I think they will. Dana has been putting it out there already

Dana will put Conor in wherever he can. Since the Khabib fight which did 2.4m PPV buys

3 PPV buys in 2019 (I know ESPN obscures it somewhat).

UFC 234 Silva vs. Adesanya 175,000
    UFC 235 Jones vs. Smith 650,000
    UFC 236 Holloway vs. Poirier 2 100,000

UFC 246 McGregor vs Cerrone 2,000,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The Nal wrote: »
    Khabib doesn't care about Conor or a rematch! He'd love the cash. With his 1 first round finish and 7 decisions in the UFC.

Unbelievable wrestler but his tweets are as boring as his fights.

Khabib fights being boring is a terrible narrative been put out there by the hardened McGregor fan.

Love watching khabib fight. Too call him boring is a disservice to mma and his goat talent.

ricero wrote: »
    Khabib fights being boring is a terrible narrative been put out there by the hardened McGregor fan.

Love watching khabib fight. Too call him boring is a disservice to mma and his goat talent.

I'm not a hardened McGregor fan but I find Khabibs fights relatively boring. Same for any fights that are 99% on the mat, wrestling, BJJ or otherwise.

Hes phenomenal don't get me wrong. So is Mark Selby at snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is probably the first time Dana has actually been hoping for this bout to fall apart :pac:

Dana will put Conor in wherever he can. Since the Khabib fight which did 2.4m PPV buys

That's crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

He is far from the greatest fighter but McGregor sells

Advertisement