Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Money isn't everything"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Lainey, you're making snarky comments about other people's post and making assumptions.

Very few people are born into a wealthy family, and even that doesn't guarantee a safety net.

Most of us start in low paying jobs and have to budget accordingly, including which bill to pay or whether to eat well or pay for transport to work.

But money isn't everything, it definitely helps and removes a lot of stress, but it won't make you happy in and of itself. Most of us are happy if we have a good work/life balance and are able to get through the month while budgeting for unexpected bills and annual expenses.

It was only when I got a job I realised just how much being broke affected my mood and mentality. Similarly in the last couple of years when things happened and everything got very tight it really, really threw me.
    I don't care about money in that I don't care about having loads. Having some kind of security in a simple life is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Car99 wrote: »
    10 days in Spain for 2+2 is €3000 minimum that's a stretch for most average wage average stress jobs.

Without any forward planning, I can jump onto 2 sites and get a 2+2 holiday for 10 days, for half your "minimum".

10 nights in a resort apartment @€;985 (4 star/7.2 rating on booking.com) and flights (family first/most expensive) to and from Knock/Faro @€;615 with Ryanair. Late August/early September.

Total €1,600, just a little over your "minimum" and there's self catering apartments for €200-€300 less available.

(Im aware Faro is in Portugal but that's were the people I know holiday and fly from).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Lainey, you're making snarky comments about other people's post and making assumptions.

Very few people are born into a wealthy family, and even that doesn't guarantee a safety net.

Most of us start in low paying jobs and have to budget accordingly, including which bill to pay or whether to eat well or pay for transport to work.

But money isn't everything, it definitely helps and removes a lot of stress, but it won't make you happy in and of itself. Most of us are happy if we have a good work/life balance and are able to get through the month while budgeting for unexpected bills and annual expenses.

What I'm saying is that most people who say money isn't everything take for granted a certain basic level of comfort that many would struggle to attain.

I guess it's more a case of 'know your audience'. I wouldn't turn around to someone on minimum wage struggling to pay the bills and say 'money isn't everything' because tbh when you're really poor, just about everything is made easier with money. What I mean is that I don't think some people have ever been that poor to say something which is quite flippant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I grew up quite poor and thought money would make me happy. Got one of those high paying celtic tiger jobs, lots of money, great lifestyle but it didn't make me happy. I ended up taking a much lower paying job which meant a smaller disposal income but I have things money can't buy, peace of mind, positivity and they are priceless. Sure I miss the regular holidays, nights out etc which now have to be budgeted for but the trade off is well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was brought up in a poor family. Yep beans on toast for months on end as that was all we could afford.

Mum and Dad worked hard, they literally had nothing to give us except themselves. They were simply great parents and although we couldn’t afford the fancy holidays and the cars etc. I never remember being unhappy, we made our own fun.

Money while important in life has never been the driving force in my life. It is purely a means to an end.

I have made lots of money in the past and lost it. Looking back at this stage in life, I can honestly say, I was never so damned unhappy. I had no life. I worked and worked but what was the point? Loosing it left me with nothing at all... and I mean nothing.

Currently, I work hard and have gained some of what I had previously, but there is a balance in life that you have to make. Money is a means to an end in getting “what” you want, it certainly is NOT what life is about though. Loosing it all, it made me realise that I can make a life for myself and mine, that is better without having to worry about not making their lives better without me being in their lives..if that makes sense?

Money ISNT everything.... it is purely a means to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

NSAman wrote: »
    Was brought up in a poor family. Yep beans on toast for months on end as that was all we could afford.

Mum and Dad worked hard, they literally had nothing to give us except themselves. They were simply great parents and although we couldn’t afford the fancy holidays and the cars etc. I never remember being unhappy, we made our own fun.

Money while important in life has never been the driving force in my life. It is purely a means to an end.

I have made lots of money in the past and lost it. Looking back at this stage in life, I can honestly say, I was never so damned unhappy. I had no life. I worked and worked but what was the point? Loosing it left me with nothing at all... and I mean nothing.

Currently, I work hard and have gained some of what I had previously, but there is a balance in life that you have to make. Money is a means to an end in getting “what” you want, it certainly is NOT what life is about though. Loosing it all, it made me realise that I can make a life for myself and mine, that is better without having to worry about not making their lives better without me being in their lives..if that makes sense?

Money ISNT everything.... it is purely a means to an end.

It's not everything but it does make life that bit easier.

You don't have to have loads of it but you need a certain amount coming in to make life relatively smooth. Let's be honest here.

Happiness is, of course, the most important thing , so finding a balance to me is the most important thing in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Only fools and horses episode:

Granddad: "Money isn't everything Del boy"
    Del: "Yeah... But it takes the sting out of being poor"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

The problem is inappropriate expectations.

If you're poor and you know it and you don't expect more and everyone around you is in the same boat then it's no problem.

If, however, you live in a rich society and it seems like everyone else has so much more than you then it is a problem.

Even poor people can live better today than a king from 300 years ago. We should be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thought this article might be of interest
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/money-can-buy-happiness-but-only-if-you-earn-optimal-amount-37847033.html
    56-66k approx a year seems to be the optimum amount to earn per year :)

I grew up with not a tonne of money,I remember hiding from the coal man a few times!
    But my parents worked extremely hard to give us a decent life, I think they taught us to be good with money but not tight.

I hate being in debt so not had any bar mortgage. But if I really want something I buy it. I make decent money now so like to treat myself especially with eating out and holidays, so I think I am somewhere in between. I have been working since I was 14 I think and 38 now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you shít that makes you happy.

I would rather be a rich moron than an unhappy poor one, moron that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think that's a phrase to be aimed at those who base their own self worth and that of others primarily on what's in their bank account or what type of car they drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Tell that to the homeless people killing themselves cause of the housing crisis.

"Money isn't everything" my arse....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The best things in life are free, but you can give them to the birds and bees
    I need money
    That's what I want......

Also...

Money makes the world go around, the world go around.

What I'm saying is that most people who say money isn't everything take for granted a certain basic level of comfort that many would struggle to attain.

I guess it's more a case of 'know your audience'. I wouldn't turn around to someone on minimum wage struggling to pay the bills and say 'money isn't everything' because tbh when you're really poor, just about everything is made easier with money. What I mean is that I don't think some people have ever been that poor to say something which is quite flippant.

It's a throw away phrase, like the previously mentioned "your health is your wealth". People with long term illnesses are unlikely to get offended by that.

You have previously mentioned that you have autism and I think you are taking this far too literally. But there's no point starting a thread if you think that only your experiences and opinions are valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

eviltwin wrote: »
    I grew up quite poor and thought money would make me happy. Got one of those high paying celtic tiger jobs, lots of money, great lifestyle but it didn't make me happy. I ended up taking a much lower paying job which meant a smaller disposal income but I have things money can't buy, peace of mind, positivity and they are priceless. Sure I miss the regular holidays, nights out etc which now have to be budgeted for but the trade off is well worth it.

You touch on something here.

It's a throw away phrase, like the previously mentioned "your health is your wealth". People with long term illnesses are unlikely to get offended by that.

You have previously mentioned that you have autism and I think you are taking this far too literally. But there's no point starting a thread if you think that only your experiences and opinions are valid.

I never said only my opinions were valid. How does that mean I can't challenge things I disagree with? I've agreed with some posters in part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

As someone else said it makes life a lot easier.

I never said only my opinions were valid. How does that mean I can't challenge things I disagree with? I've agreed with some posters in part.

You immediately dismiss anything that doesn't fit your narrative, to the point of being curt at times. I'll leave you to it and enjoy my Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You're exactly the type of person I mean.

You say 'funding a lifestyle' as if the only way someone would be struggling if because they're buying cars on finance and going on 3 holidays a year.

There are a lot of people who are working their arses off and just barely managing to survive. They can't cut down on expenses because they're already at the bare minimum. The only option is to seek more money.

I don't think money is the solution to ALL problems, but I'm struggling to think of how it doesn't at least help most of them.

Lainey I like you, but you have an awful habit of making snap judgements about people you don't know from Adam! Taken from another thread -

Having experienced homelessness in my late teens, even 20 years later I'm still anxious about the fact that I have a roof over my head as it's never felt like what people would call a home. I still get tense and only feel like I can relax when I'm talking to my friends nowadays who are homeless by choice. It's not as though I haven't offered them help, just that some people are genuinely more comfortable with that lifestyle. I knew I didn't want that life for myself, but if it were to happen again, nowadays I know I'd be ok having been inspired to work with homeless people and charities since and learned a fair bit in the last 20 years.

(still very proud of my "best dressed homeless person" title, it wasn't all misery and depression :D)

I say 'funding a lifestyle' because that's what it is, or isn't. If one is unable to fund their lifestyle, money isn't going to help them to fund their lifestyle, because it simply isn't sustainable. It was you who decided I could only be talking about people who buy cars on finance and take three holidays a year. The same principles apply no matter what a persons circumstances - money isn't everything and simply having more money only provides short term relief for an attitide which needs a longer term solution and some major adjjustment in perspective.

Perhaps then you might not be so quick to judge other people just because they don't share your perspective of how miserable your life would be without money.

• Advertisement

Lainey I like you, but you have an awful habit of making snap judgements about people you don't know from Adam! Taken from another thread -

I say 'funding a lifestyle' because that's what it is, or isn't. If one is unable to fund their lifestyle, money isn't going to help them to fund their lifestyle, because it simply isn't sustainable. It was you who decided I could only be talking about people who buy cars on finance and take three holidays a year. The same principles apply no matter what a persons circumstances - money isn't everything and simply having more money only provides short term relief for an attitide which needs a longer term solution and some major adjjustment in perspective.

Perhaps then you might not be so quick to judge other people just because they don't share your perspective of how miserable your life would be without money.

I think in fairness it would be taken as quite a conservative/right wing view to tell people to cut their cloth according to their means when they already barely have any cloth to start with. Fair play to you for getting out of being homeless. I know that there is much more needed than just money, but it does give you so many more options, for the majority of people who are not comfortable living in precarious situations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Perhaps the problem is the length of hours that people have to work.

I'd prefer to have lots of time off and not much money than to have to work and to have lots of money.

If you were offerted a basic income of 12,000 per year for free would you consider moving somewhere where it is cheaper to rent and just live there on the money? If you got a medical card as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think in fairness it would be taken as quite a conservative/right wing view to tell people to cut their cloth according to their means when they already barely have any cloth to start with. Fair play to you for getting out of being homeless. I know that there is much more needed than just money, but it does give you so many more options, for the majority of people who are not comfortable living in precarious situations.

You say that like it’s a bad thing? I don’t see it as a bad thing. It’s based upon a very simple principle -

Give a Man a Fish, and You Feed Him for a Day. Teach a Man To Fish, and You Feed Him for a Lifetime

Just giving people more money won’t make them any better able to manage their finances. It will enable them to pay off any immediate financial issues, but then they’re back to square one the next month when the next bill comes in and they don’t have the money to meet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Money isn’t everything but it takes the sting out of being poor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭seenitall

"Money can't buy happiness. But happiness isn't everything."

That quote by Jean Seberg is like a gold standard of a life lived with a higher purpose, to me. It is almost saintly, if you know what she is really saying with the above, but in order to know that, you have to know a bit of her history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What I have found is that people who imagine they grew up poor then to think like the OP as opposed to those who grew up really very poor they tend to be the type to just get on with it and are grateful to have a bit more as adults, unless they are cynics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Car99 wrote: »
    10 days in Spain for 2+2 is €3000 minimum that's a stretch for most average wage average stress jobs.

€3000? Hah. Try €500 tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All your replies come with a chip on its shoulder.

Theres people telling you that they are a bill away from trouble but still happy but you won't take that at face value. Your experience doesn't trump everyone's so stop acting like it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Pearlstone

I don’t care too much for money, money can’t buy me love....

Advertisement