Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youre homeless tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

B00! wrote: »
    or :mad: himself! (personal experience) ...beg to differ, homelessness is much worse for women!! Personal safety is a major issue!
    Circumstances turn on a dime, not easy to recoup a life, once it happens.
    Taken me a few years, and much worse for wear.

Apologies, should have worded that a bit better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'll save us all the hassle. How much now to just drop the notion?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Why ducks?

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a caravan for holidays so that would do us For a good while.

Family, could turn up at the mothers in a heartbeat, she has three empty bedrooms.

Could kick out my tenants and use the other gaff.

Have a deralect house on the farm, has fireplace, roof, windows and doors and one light bulb, that would do in a pinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Why not?

Can't imagine they'd be easy to catch without a gun. Fish might be easier.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    We have a caravan for holidays so that would do us For a good while.

Family, could turn up at the mothers in a heartbeat, she has three empty bedrooms.

Could kick out my tenants and use the other gaff.

Have a deralect house on the farm, has fireplace, roof, windows and doors and one light bulb, that would do in a pinch.

I think that's the total opposite of being homeless.

A whiff of Padraig Flynn's you should try it sometime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Isn't that the point, if ya lost your house in the morning what would you do ??

Can't imagine they'd be easy to catch without a gun. Fish might be easier.

If the man wants to eat duck. Then duck he should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I have a tent and would move it into a secluded area. I would live off the ducks in a nearby lake.

Never realised ye were Polish, Rick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Stigura wrote: »
    Never realised ye were Polish, Rick.

Wasn't that swans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Swans, ducks, fish. F**kers are insatiable.

_Brian wrote: »
    Isn't that the point, if ya lost your house in the morning what would you do ??

How can you be homeless?

With a caravan?
    A mother with 3 empty bedrooms?
    A house you rent out?
    And also have a derelict house on a farm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

your pride might be the death of you.
    When loneliness and depression sets in,your mind becomes a magnet for every negative thought you could think of.
    I got rid of my pride numerous times when homeless.
    Was sitting in a cafe area in a supermarket for close on 4hours one day. Had a rugsack with me when my aunt passed by. .... she asked what I was up to....told her my situation and she put me up for the night. I slept like a baby. .... I slept as I hadn't slept right in days. ....
    Things are going well now but that was only last November. ...and my homelessness has scarred me emotionally. As I said earlier. ..It was may 3rd 2016 I officially became homless...took some time to get out of it. Never been homeless prior to this.

Don't let pride stop you from asking for help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Oh God, the very thought of having to go through the whole flat-hunting process again makes me feel a little bit queasy. I live in perpetual dread of getting a call from my landlord, telling me he's moving back in or selling the place. I think I'd just commit a crime and get sent to jail. A free roof over your head, access to hard drugs, three meals a day and regular sex. What more could you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I own my own house outright so I'll be honest I'd find it near impossible to become homeless. However, if I didn't have this security, I don't really have anyone I could rely on so I'd be fucked if I became homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

How can you be homeless?

With a caravan?
    A mother with 3 empty bedrooms?
    A house you rent out?
    And also have a derelict house on a farm?

I think he was talking hypothetically, rather than specifically about himself.

RayM wrote: »
    Oh God, the very thought of having to go through the whole flat-hunting process again makes me feel a little bit queasy. I live in perpetual dread of getting a call from my landlord, telling me he's moving back in or selling the place. I think I'd just commit a crime and get sent to jail. A free roof over your head, access to hard drugs, three meals a day and regular sex. What more could you want?

Freedom.

Freedom.

"Man is condemned to be free..."

Matt.ie wrote: »
    your pride might be the death of you.
    When loneliness and depression sets in,your mind becomes a magnet for every negative thought you could think of.
    I got rid of my pride numerous times when homeless.
    Was sitting in a cafe area in a supermarket for close on 4hours one day. Had a rugsack with me when my aunt passed by. .... she asked what I was up to....told her my situation and she put me up for the night. I slept like a baby. .... I slept as I hadn't slept right in days. ....
    Things are going well now but that was only last November. ...and my homelessness has scarred me emotionally. As I said earlier. ..It was may 3rd 2016 I officially became homless...took some time to get out of it. Never been homeless prior to this.

Don't let pride stop you from asking for help.

Great post Matt. I had bouts of depression myself. It's amazing how real those negative thoughts seem at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

"Man is condemned to be free..."

Man is born free, but he is everywhere in chains. (Rousseau's commentary on the s+m scene)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It's different if you don't like the cock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

There's a place down the road from me that sells garden sheds. They've a few erected and unlocked. I'd kipp there and then shower at work. Winter would be a bastard though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

RayM wrote:

That's a long way from being made homeless tbf. You sound like you have the amenities and resources to relocate under any circumstance.
    Maybe I'm wrong.....

Slept rough for a week in my twenties on a building site. As Matt.ie says, last thing to go is pride. Had to ask my brother for a bed which at the time was a big stretch for him with a young family. He got me back on my feet where the state had told me to fvck off.

If it happened in the morning? I'd have family to fall back on thankfully. Money too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Why ducks?

The local ducks are very tame. There are always children feeding them. I just have to invest in a small bit of bread or try and find some that the local shop has thrown out.

That's a long way from being made homeless tbf. You sound like you have the amenities and resources to relocate under any circumstance.
    Maybe I'm wrong.....

Slept rough for a week in my twenties on a building site. As Matt.ie says, last thing to go is pride. Had to ask my brother for a bed which at the time was a big stretch for him with a young family. He got me back on my feet where the state had told me to fvck off.

If it happened in the morning? I'd have family to fall back on thankfully. Money too.

You don't have to be on the streets to be home-less. I'm incredibly lucky in that I wouldn't even have to ask friends and family - I've already been told that if it all goes tits-up with the place I'm renting, I have a choice of spare rooms I could end up in. They could potentially be stuck with me for a while though, because of the current lack of flats to let, so it's something that I'd really want to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'd grab a few duvets and pillows and sleep in me van.

Noveight, the man who sleeps in a van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

RayM wrote:
    You don't have to be on the streets to be home-less. I'm incredibly lucky in that I wouldn't even have to ask friends and family - I've already been told that if it all goes tits-up with the place I'm renting, I have a choice of spare rooms I could end up in. They could potentially be stuck with me for a while though, because of the current lack of flats to let, so it's something that I'd really want to avoid.

I just think of homeless as having no roof over my head as I sleep. Maybe homelessness has taken on a new meaning in the modern sense, which incidentally I find laughable.

Fair play on having that many friends to stand by you in dire times, I sincerely hope you never need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Do you mind me asking does it still affect you? Are you anxious about it happening again?

Having experienced homelessness in my late teens, even 20 years later I'm still anxious about the fact that I have a roof over my head as it's never felt like what people would call a home. I still get tense and only feel like I can relax when I'm talking to my friends nowadays who are homeless by choice. It's not as though I haven't offered them help, just that some people are genuinely more comfortable with that lifestyle. I knew I didn't want that life for myself, but if it were to happen again, nowadays I know I'd be ok having been inspired to work with homeless people and charities since and learned a fair bit in the last 20 years.

(still very proud of my "best dressed homeless person" title, it wasn't all misery and depression :D)

Lube, and a pack of smokes! :pac:

• Advertisement

greencap wrote: »
    Thats actually a real good trick.

In japan some use internet cafés, buy enough credit for a night.
    In a wee cordoned off box with computer.
    That happens in Dublin too.

Go to those all-night cheap internet cafes at 4am, you'll invariably find homeless people there asleep at their PC stations seeking shelter. The last few times I was in one of those, printing off boarding passes, I was quite surprised at this.

Advertisement