Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Think that may be the drugs you're on.

I picked a bad day to start sniffing glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭squarecircles

thunder ligtning louisburgh

all types crap blowing around,pole down shed roof gone torrents of rain

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tree down on the South Link Road outbound in Cork at the Park and Ride.. fire service in attendance though it’s only blocking 2 of the 3 lanes

2 ambulances after heading inbound to the Elysian with the lights on. Going to be a busy day for them

Re the flight to Knock: the RYR80 would have been an empty flight positioning to Knock to see if it could attempt a landing to pick up the passengers due to fly to Stansted. The plane itself is Stansted based so when it couldn’t land at Knock it positioned back to Stansted empty and the outbound flight will be cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭covey09

It's a real mess here in Louisburgh, sustain winds 100kph, lashing and now lightning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

He/she was stating that that particular poster`s so called employees don`t exist and if you take a look at his posting history you might see why that comment was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wind definitely stronger now in north Donegal, but as yet nothing to get worried about.

We've had a lot worse.

Although I think the worst of the winds are scheduled for a handful of hours away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Just outside Louisbourg here and a heap of slates off the roof already. It is as wild as I've ever seen it. Stay safe people

I've never heard and seen an aircraft have to aggressively have to power up and correct that much.

On go around airplanes power up to the max. Its standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

In Ballaghaderreen currently. Storm has found a different gear here over the past half hour. It is the sustained wind speeds that seem quite a feature here at the moment. Lashing rain also. One dirty day!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Two flights into Cork doing alot of circling, the Amsterdam Aer Lingus, in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Getting ferocious out here too. Never heard winds like this.

west Mayo offshore island

Just outside Louisbourg here and a heap of slates off the roof already. It is as wild as I've ever seen it. Stay safe people

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

NIMAN wrote:
    Wind definitely stronger now in north Donegal, but as yet nothing to get worried about.

The same in South West Donegal, blustery but nothing too bad. I'm hoping it won't be in full force at 3pm when the kids have to be collected from school.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest gust for 1100 reports is Roches Point at 135 km/h.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

d'Oracle wrote: »
    When did the weather forecast start having bearing on employment legislation?

Here's an example of a case from 6 months ago where the weather plays a central role.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Getting ferocious out here too. Never heard winds like this.

west Mayo offshore island

Wouldn't be many in the Sailors bar today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

DOCARCH wrote: »

Red Criteria so

covey09 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be many in the Sailors bar today

Then again the place is probably hopping lol

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

135kmh at Roches Point now

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

There goes the wheelie bin, despite it being weighted down with blocks. Fortunately not too full so not much to pick up off the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not great here in west limerick, but Orange warning is about right.

Bad, but not unreal bad if get me. Hopefully in middle of worst of it now.

If it increases might change me mind:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

DOCARCH wrote: »

I'm living on a clifftop on the outer harbour of Cork, Certainly feels like Red Alert territory. Hoping the worst is over.

Our attic access hatch was sucked into the attic in the last hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    In Ballaghaderreen currently. Storm has found a different gear here over the past half hour. It is the sustained wind speeds that seem quite a feature here at the moment. Lashing rain also. One dirty day!

It the same for me - sustained wind is more notable, than actual gusts. I think this might change with the second period of wind in the late afternoon. It's at that time we may see the highest gusts recorded in western coastal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

pad199207 wrote: »
    Red Criteria so

Yes but Roches point is covered adequately with the marine warning, so it is in place

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Roches Point's gust of 135 km/h, strongest since Mace Head's 147 km/h gust during Storm Ali in September 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

esb map back and partly working.

Still quiet here, no power.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I heard Alan from Carlow Weather (Villain on here right?) stressing on TodayFM about how MET Eireann have not issued any red warnings. Good on ya pushing back on that rubbish posted on Twitter last night.

Separately I'm in the Avoca Valley in Wicklow and it's surprisingly calm still. A southerly is the best scenario for me because the house is well sheltered from that direction. Westerly by far the worst for me. Worst yet to come for the East though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not great here in west limerick, but Orange warning is about right.

Bad, but not unreal bad if get me. Hopefully in middle of worst of it now.

If it increases might change me mind:pac:

Windy.com has quite good graphics. I would say brace yourself, definitely not at the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

21000 with out power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Roches Point's gust of 135 km/h, strongest since Mace Head's 147 km/h gust during Storm Ali in September 2018.

I thought I heard on virgin 1 earlier that there was a 137k recorded at fastnet this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    its the way of the world these days. back 10 or 15 years ago a school wouldn't close unless the roof fell in. now a school will close for pretty much any gust of wind. not saying is right or wrong its the way it is.

Avoiding an injury to just one kid at school, or en route, warrants a school closure.

Advertisement