Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Howling winds and sheets of rain in Cork city.
    I'm quit sheltered in a city centre apartment block, but conditions must be bad in more exposed parts of the city.

Any reports?

Kinsale coast vicious gusts. Still have power though flickering. Not as bad as Ophelia, but gusts powerful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Regular gusts close to 80km/h at my Waterford City station and Max of 102km/h at Waterford Airport so far.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com
    Youtube Event Stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwZ1MnxjDUo

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Are the worst of the winds over in the south?. I'm on cork Kerry border near millstreet. It does seem to have passed but not too sure. Of anybody can enlighten me it would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm living on a clifftop on the outer harbour of Cork, Certainly feels like Red Alert territory. Hoping the worst is over.

Our attic access hatch was sucked into the attic in the last hour!

Crosshaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Athens to dublin just had a go around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

My IFOR Williams horsbox has moved 10 feet across the yard, I didnt have the handbrake on (do now) but its on level concrete and they are not easy yokes to move. East Cork.
    Over the last 10 years the weather pattern has changed I think, I've lived here 22 years and for the first 22 big storms like you would get on the west coast were rare events, now its 3 or 4 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

The rain in Limerick City is absolutely biblical. Heaviest I've seen in a long time..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Cody montana

crossman47 wrote: »
    Crosshaven?

I’m in Carrigaline and we’re getting blasted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Gusts of 64kts in Cork Harbour

http://www.corkharbourweather.ie/
    link to Weather station here - http://86.43.106.118/winfiles/cumulus/today.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

The rain in Limerick City is absolutely biblical. Heaviest I've seen in a long time..

Just about to post the same thing.

It's getting bad enough here, tree half down on the golf Links road, be careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

School would never open then. Get rid of the cotton wool

We don’t have Orange warnings every day. Yes, it really is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

That was an incredible burst of wind and rain....

North Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

poconnor16 wrote: »
    That was an incredible burst of wind and rain....

North Cork

Yeah, was just about to post that, crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

So bad here in Cork I’m actually scared 😟 on my own with little bird and esb gone now too .......... sos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Thankfully, most people in authority have more empathy for children' safety. Work may be more necessary, school never is. Apart from employer agendas.

Vast vast vast majority of work is not necessary.

Even the ones that are necessary don't abide by warnings anyways, such as firemen who were out in Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

In Dublin 24 Firhouse - at base of the Dublin mountains.
    Powerful gusts, and driving rain.
    Sustained winds also howling quite a bit.
    No trampolines seen yet but lots of empty bins rolling around!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Wind now gusting to over 110 km per hour in Galway and since I left home in the last half hour it has got way worse bits of trees flying around the place and torrential rain.

Where are you getting that reading? I saw Mace Head was 109.

HighLine wrote: »

And not one would show some brains and get out and throw it over the fence. Gotta wait for someone else to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That's crap.

What about adults? How come schools get blanket closed because it's too dangerous for kids yet adults are left to make up their own mind. Aren't the parents of these kids adults that can make the same call?

A sneeze and schools are on alert to be closed.

In fact I'd say it's even more dangerous for workers to go to work considering there's longer commutes.

School closures mean that adults are protected too, no need for the school run. Quite simple.

Workers can make their own minds up whether to attend.

Am in Galway City. 60km wind and gusts hitting three figures. I unilaterally pulled my kids from school and took the day off unpaid. Most people can make arrangements with their employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dublin has ramped up the last 30 minutes. Looking out at a long wooden bench being held at a 45 degree angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

looking out the window here in a business park in Limerick, our office is at the top of a small incline.

the rain is torrential but the water is actually flowing up the hill due to the strength of the wind pushing it.

looks pretty cool

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    School closures mean that adults are protected too, no need for the school run. Quite simple.

Workers can make their own minds up whether to attend.

Am in Galway City. 60km wind and gusts hitting three figures. I unilaterally pulled my kids from school and took the day off unpaid. Most people can make arrangements with their employers.

If workers can make up their own mind to attend then why can't they make up their own mind whether they send their kids to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Where are you getting that reading? I saw Mace Head was 109.

My weather station. Definitely eased off in the past while

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

48,000 homes without power now.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Power out in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sheeting rain in cork city with very strong gusts.

Not a breeze in north kildare. Slight mist.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

mitresize5 wrote: »
    looking out the window here in a business park in Limerick, our office is at the top of a small incline.

the rain is torrential but the water is actually flowing up the hill due to the strength of the wind pushing it.

looks pretty cool

It's like that on my driveway (in Limerick) which slopes away down from my house but the rain is running up toward me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Trampoline on the road in Limerick:

https://twitter.com/finnan22/status/1216683152414072832

Advertisement