Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

SeaFields wrote: »
    About the storm?! :D

Wrong thread open! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Very stormy here in North Cork. Defo worth orange warning. Near mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,698 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Seriously windy right now- it's more about the sustained winds, than actual gusts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Why is every puff of wind and drop of rain a storm these days, I'm in west cork, its a crap day but that's about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10am
    Sherkin island gusting 64 knots (119km/h)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ryanair flight just had to have another go into Cork airport. I've never seen it before. I've either lived, worked or gone to school pretty much under the glide slope for most of my whole life and I've never heard and seen an aircraft have to aggressively have to power up and correct that much. This was directly over the Model Farm Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Just landed at cork airport flight from
    Stansted took 1.5 hours total. Quite dicey on first landing attempt and we pulled up out of it. Second landing fairly smooth tbh. Very well handled by pilot and keep us in the loop the whole time. Nice Irish round of applause when we landed also. Conditions poor here at airport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

aed9a51330744174.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ikozma wrote: »
    Why is every puff of wind and drop of rain a storm these days, I'm in west cork, its a crap day but that's about it

It hasn't even hit yet, so your comment is blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Is it moving a little slower than expected? (West to East)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon Airport gusting 54kts at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭endainoz

unplayable wrote: »
    Stansted took 1.5 hours total. Quite dicey on first landing attempt and we pulled up out of it. Second landing fairly smooth tbh. Very well handled by pilot and keep us in the loop the whole time. Nice Irish round of applause when we landed also. Conditions poor here at airport

Sounds like the pilot deserved it!

Ryanair flight just had to have another go into Cork airport. I've never seen it before. I've either lived, worked or gone to school pretty much under the glide slope for most of my whole life and I've never heard and seen an aircraft have to aggressively have to power up and correct that much. This was directly over the Model Farm Road.

Nasty at cork. Wind 180 degrees 25 knots gusting 46 knots in moderate rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very well defined front now with decent bit lightning embedded.

7923667-E-CA55-4456-9787-A56-F323-C098-C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Not much of interest bar a bit wet and windy.

In the death zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

its the way of the world these days. back 10 or 15 years ago a school wouldn't close unless the roof fell in. now a school will close for pretty much any gust of wind. not saying is right or wrong its the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

Nasty drive up m17 to athenry
    Artic truck pulled in just past junction with sides all opened up
    I assume to let cross winds blow through
    Dangerous Spot he pulled though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

10am

Mace Head 96 km/h gust. Highest yet.

From Galway and Mayo, only Belmullet has hit 100km/h so far. 100km/h exactly.

Nothing at Orange level for Connacht yet but it's early days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

What part of west Cork would that be? I live there too and it definitely does qualify as a storm for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

As of yet at 10am we are barely tipping into orange level winds on the most coastal fringes. Windspeed should continue to increase in next 2 hours or more though.

• Advertisement

Why are people such dicks on the internet!

They tend to be the same in real life, but a bit more sneaky about it due to the fact that it could be detrimental to their physical health.

Winds picking up steadily here in NE Meath, am due to drive to Navan for 12, but already a tree down on the road off our lane and just in from giving a neighbor a hand cutting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unplayable wrote: »

We were all watching it in the office. As I said, I've seen or heard literally 10 of thousands of flights go over my head into Cork and I've never seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

We were all watching it in the office. As I said, I've seen or heard literally 10 of thousands of flights go over my head into Cork and I've never seen that.

Yeah it was a serious manoeuvre to get us back up out of that. I never felt we were out of control though for a second tbh. Wind is vicious here honestly we can barely get off the plane.

Stansted flight from Knock which diverted to Dublin is now on the way back to Knock to give it another go.wind 160 degrees 28 knots gusting 43 knots. Gonna be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

worse winds iv seen here in some time,well into orange territory in my opnion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

Speak Now wrote: »
    Grace is definitely one of the more interesting posters, lay off her.
    Hijacks every weather event to tell us its windy on an island, over & over again... we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Nothing out of the ordinary here in West kerry.... Very windy but lacking the damaging gusts some storms had ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

People have been killed in previous storms.

The weather warnings are there for good reason and based off extensive analysis and research by people who have far more expertise than the people questioning the existence of the warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Sherkin Island weather station has reported a gust of 64 knots (=119 km/h) in the past hour. That's hurricane force.

• Advertisement

Stansted flight from Knock which diverted to Dublin is now on the way back to Knock to give it another go.wind 160 degrees 28 knots gusting 43 knots. Gonna be tricky.

Strange you think once decided to divert they would stick to the decision, it's not like it's hard to get people from Dublin to Knock.

Link to the flight if anyone wants to see what happens.

RYR80 from Dublin to Knock https://fr24.com/RYR80/2381bf86

Advertisement