Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ludo wrote: »
    Amsterdam flight coming in behind it according to FlightRadar after circling repeatedly...surely he can make it now also as both same type planes.

Just passed over me on approach...eek..nearly sideways and swaying like a mad thing.

He is in finally. Would hate to be on either of those flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

South Coast here (about 35 miles east of Roches Pt) - house is literally creaking in the gusts here - big front window billowing like a good thing!!! (pretty exposed location on hill above sea.)

Seriously stormy - gusts must be hitting F10 where I am.

If anyone says ME were hyping this, just coz its not stormy in your backyard doesn't mean it's like that everywhere - just check out the wind reports from the South Coast on ME at the mo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Squally rain in Galway. Winds seem stronger too. Not sure we are at Orange levels just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Very very few schools are closed around the country so I really can't see why people are going on about school closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Storm Brendan is an event near Limerick City. It looked like my outside stone shed covered with ivy could get blown away any time soon.
    Storm Brendan is a big beast. Central pressure forecast down to 934 Hpa. No wonder there is such a big wind field with hurricane force winds at Fastnet Rock.
    Now bracing for that thundery scall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That's crap.

What about adults? How come schools get blanket closed because it's too dangerous for kids yet adults are left to make up their own mind. Aren't the parents of these kids adults that can make the same call?

A sneeze and schools are on alert to be closed.

In fact I'd say it's even more dangerous for workers to go to work considering there's longer commutes.

Thankfully, most people in authority have more empathy for children' safety. Work may be more necessary, school never is. Apart from employer agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

School would never open then. Get rid of the cotton wool

On a red warning it won't no.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Watched the Amsterdam flight on approach to Cork getting rattled in the air. Great landing by the pilots

Passenger has become unwell though during landing and pilots have requested paramedics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was on a flight into Derry many moons ago, on a night that set the gust record at the airport, and we had an awful landing after an initial abort.

The pilot made it clear over the tannoy after we were down that he was well within his legal limits to try a landing.

I'd say the limits are quite high!

City of Derry is ropey at the best of times, I wouldn't have wanted to be on that flight, especially since a lot of the planes there are small turboprops as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mace Head hit 109 km/h at 11am. Almost Orange. I think it will hit Orange at noon report.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Howling winds and sheets of rain in Cork city.
    I'm quit sheltered in a city centre apartment block, but conditions must be bad in more exposed parts of the city.

Any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Biblical rain in Galway city at the moment. Squal line passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

marno21 wrote: »
    Watched the Amsterdam flight on approach to Cork getting rattled in the air. Great landing by the pilots

Passenger has become unwell though during landing and pilots have requested paramedics.

Unwell from what the landing or is it more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Sun will be out shortly ... Winds are moderate .... West kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭ratracer

Squally rain in Galway. Winds seem stronger too. Not sure we are at Orange levels just yet.

We definitely are for the last hour or so in Kinvara.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Windy in Galway city but again not anything we haven't had of late. Building across from us is under construction, obv no workers on the scaffolding but can see a few staff coming to check the safety of it as the huge banners are flapping like mad! It's a wind tunnel on the hill where I'm at!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Timfy

A few big flashes of lightning here in Leenane on the Galway/Mayo border. Close enough to collapse power for a few seconds.

Winds have reached 78.5km/h so far and pressure recorded at 975.1 and still falling rapidly (not sure of the overall accuracy at these extremes). A branch has come down in the garden with a girth of at least 6 inches.

And then suddenly it's flat calm and the mountains have reappeared. The sheep, who have been lined up nose to the wall have now ventured out and are happily munching away... I know, the calm before part two commences a little later!

Interesting little notch in the pressure graph at the point of the thunderstorm.

Stay dry!

Capture.JPG
    Capture1.JPG

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Last 24hrs data from the M6 Buoy

EOKHIkZXkAAzoMw?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

marno21 wrote: »

Not surprised.
    Landing in winds like that isn't a nice experience.

I had the person in front of me faint and flop out over their seat into the aisle and I had to try to prop them up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Its really ratcheting up now here just near the Shannon Estuary on the Clare side Cratloe, trees are tilted and consisted wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Howling winds and sheets of rain in Cork city.
    I'm quit sheltered in a city centre apartment block, but conditions must be bad in more exposed parts of the city.

Any reports?
    Northside has gotten worse since 9am anyway. The power lines are moving a lot. Kind of sheltered(by other houses) and some strange noises from the front windows at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

11am TAF's issued, cork max gust (12-1pm) upgraded to 65kts and Shannon's max gust (12-1pm) upgraded to 60kts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wind now gusting to over 110 km per hour in Galway and since I left home in the last half hour it has got way worse bits of trees flying around the place and torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

madalig12 wrote: »
    If this storm was hitting Dublin the whole country would be on a red warning.

There is a large mountain range sheltering the city of Dublin from these strong southerly winds.

I'd hazard a guess that once the winds back southwesterly as the squall line passes later there will be a sudden and sharp increase in wind speeds as the mountains won't exert as much as a sheltering effect for the city then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

circadian wrote: »
    City of Derry is ropey at the best of times, I wouldn't have wanted to be on that flight, especially since a lot of the planes there are small turboprops as well.

Was on a plane that aborted the landing just before touchdown at Derry about 15 years ago not a word from the pilot or crew few screams from passengers and lots of brown underwear. My wife was watching the plane come into land and said she's never seen anything like the angle we went back up I still have a bit of anxiety on landing years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Tuff Gong wrote: »
    Are you not aware that you don't have to be registered on boards to read the forum.

Well nice to get your Boards experience off to a good start :rolleyes:

The rain is about to stop, West of Galway. We lost power but back now. The squall line has moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

ESB PowerCheck website is gone slow and wonky. Not much lightening coming our way according to lightning maps.org

Advertisement