Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Accent,

It's called an accent.

In the midlands it’s called a “haccent”.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

People who needlessly put an s on the end of the name of a shop or Supermarket. It's okay if shop is somebody's surname, even if they don't include an apostrophe themselves (Dunne's, Roche's, Cleary's etc), but the great unwashed who insist on calling it Tesco's. :mad:

I've heard others say it's because it ends in a vowel.......Oh yeah? I'm just gonna pop down to the old Esso's gargae, then, you know?.....the one with the Centra's in the back of it.

Just now I saw a post which referenced "Lidl's and Aldi's" :confused:

Well...they may be visiting several Tescos in the plural...:D but still an apostrophe is not required.

I have already pulled an OP elsewhere for writing the greatest hits of the "90's".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Bredabe

We had a power cut last night and this morning, the result is that the office is cold and so is the water.

One of the students is loudly demaning that she is allowed go home as she cant wash her hands in freezing water, she cant stand being 'dirty' and why cant someone' fix it?.

TA she'll probablay get away with doing home for the rest of the day and one of us will have to work till 8am to cover.

we are not in the middle of nowhere, there are baby wipes and other sinks within walking distance.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Speaking of accents, and sorry to anyone from Cavan but your one from Cavan on the Aldi ad. Lord have mercy she’d put the skids through you

Edit: omg just as I was writing this the ad came on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Gave a mate a hoverboard for his daughter for Christmas..I wanted a fiver... nothing more...and instead he got me 6 cans of rank Polish beer ....ah well..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Speaking of accents, and sorry to anyone from Cavan but your one from Cavan on the Aldi ad. Lord have mercy she’d put the skids through you

Spooky!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Dis, Dat, Dees and Doughs

Dats the way dee TH go-wizz :pac:

Every time I hear an English person pronounce 6th as 'sikth' I die a little inside.

How do you pronounce it?

Maurice the phantom mouse. Discovered his presence by accident, half-eaten spud that escaped the bag. All doors now shut in the house, need to rummage through each room to isolate him. Bastard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

People who needlessly put an s on the end of the name of a shop or Supermarket. It's okay if shop is somebody's surname, even if they don't include an apostrophe themselves (Dunne's, Roche's, Cleary's etc), but the great unwashed who insist on calling it Tesco's. :mad:

I've heard others say it's because it ends in a vowel.......Oh yeah? I'm just gonna pop down to the old Esso's gargae, then, you know?.....the one with the Centra's in the back of it.

Just now I saw a post which referenced "Lidl's and Aldi's" :confused:

They'd be correct if they used it with names, surnames, or with professions (chemist, baker, butcher, greengrocer, etc) because the "'s" would be used as Saxon genitive, i.e. to indicate "the shop belonging to". LIDL, ALDI and TESCO aren't in this category, though, while Clery and Dunne (mind you, Dunnes is the name of the chain, though) are. It would be interesting to see if they ever had an apostrophe.

Maurice the phantom mouse. Discovered his presence by accident, half-eaten spud that escaped the bag. All doors now shut in the house, need to rummage through each room to isolate him. Bastard.

Entice him with Polish sausage (not a euphemism! ) They can't resist the stuff. Poor Maurice. He's probably a field mouse and came in to get warm (and eat a spud )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

There was a Carlovian chef on the afternoon show with Daithi last week and I don't think she pronounced a t once in the whole piece, 'just fill it up with waher there' :o

Poor Maurice indeed. Missed the champagne reception, so he'll receive a belt of the hurl instead. And if the filthy wretch skips out on a hot date with death, he's welcome to warm himself in the nearest sewer.

You're a cruel, cruel man, Bertie.

Poor Maurice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

We are willing to be flexible but generally we find a hearty boot to the coccyx delivers the best value for money.

Do you provide pointed toe options?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Do you provide pointed toe options?

I believe it’s a wingtip.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

My TA is that we risk having the ICRR going under within days (rescue helicopter service in Cork). I can't get over how they have made appeals to raise 400k but haven't even yet reached 12k!!!!

You often see people setting up Go Fund Me pages for very trivial things and easily reaching their targets but a community air ambulance service is being snubbed by the public!?! I just can't understand it. This is a service that people were crying out for and now that they have it and it needs their support, they are nowhere to be seen.

I've submitted by donation and I really hope more people will start donating. It's a service you hope you or your loved ones will never need but it's good to have just in case.

They have already saved in excess of 200 lives since they went operational in July of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Seanachai wrote: »
    There was a Carlovian chef on the afternoon show with Daithi last week

Flippin' immigrants taking Irish chefs' jobs. She should feck off back to Carlovia...

Sardonicat wrote: »
    How do you pronounce it?

With an x, rather than a K.

So, sicksth as opposed to sikth. Think of how you say six and add -th, whereas I noticed someone say it like sick with a -th on the end. Now it's absolutely ubiquitous and I cannot unhear it. Everyone on English TV does it..... Its the same as all the RTÉ wenches who call the guards 'the gore-THEE".

With an x, rather than a K.

So, sicksth as opposed to sikth

Oh yeah. I see what you mean, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

My TA is that we risk having the ICRR going under within days (rescue helicopter service in Cork). I can't get over how they have made appeals to raise 400k but haven't even yet reached 12k!!!!

You often see people setting up Go Fund Me pages for very trivial things and easily reaching their targets but a community air ambulance service is being snubbed by the public!?! I just can't understand it. This is a service that people were crying out for and now that they have it and it needs their support, they are nowhere to be seen.

I've submitted by donation and I really hope more people will start donating. It's a service you hope you or your loved ones will never need but it's good to have just in case.

They have already saved in excess of 200 lives since they went operational in July of last year.

That's a shame. What is their fundraising page?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Incomplete/misleading news reports.

I heard a report on the radio that someone was crowing about hospital waiting lists having 10,000 fewer people on them this month than last. So? I'd suspect given that since it was the Christmas period it's probably more down to fewer people being added to the list than normal, rather than people being taken off it. Given the time of year there's probably more people on the lists dying than average too.

Also the report said there was almost 600,000 on the lists, so 10,000 doesn't seem like a big chunk.

Going to need a lot more information/clarification before anyone gets credit, but I suspect we'll see a lot more of this bull**** with talk of elections in the air.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Guy Person wrote: »

Thanks for that. Must donate to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,343 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Thanks for that. Must donate to them.

Now you're giving me a TH :D

Now you're giving me a TH :D

You're welcome! Hopefully they'll raise the full amount. Worthy cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

My TA is the constant use of the word "Sustainable". Every time I listen to any discussion on the radio this word invariably pops up, usually several times. I remember the phrase " Grass roots" in the 1970s was a constant irritant, and "Sustainable / Unsustainable" is the annoying word these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Alecto wrote: »
    You'd cry if you met my mother or my sister. Everything is about veggies and chillaxing and it's yummy and fab and brill.

They are what the young people call ''basic bitches''.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’ve been going for walks every day now for the last week and a half and I still don’t have abs. Come on, show yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Psychopathic , narcissistic people , enough is enough , just take a long walk off a short pier please fffs .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Psychopathic , narcissistic people , enough is enough , just take a long walk off a short pier please fffs .

Or a plank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Omackeral wrote: »
    Or a plank?

Lol , thanks for that laugh Mack :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement