Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things That Trialvilly Annoy You.

Options

Comments

Household items that don't perform the one and only task for which they are designed. Absolutely boils my piss that some of the stuff ever even makes it to market:

Pots that topple over on the stove because the handle is heavier than the rest
    Tea-towels that leave little micro threads on everything
    Tea-towels that aren't absorbent enough so you're just smearing the water around the plates
    Toilet seats that won't stay up
    Hand soap dispensers with tubes that don't reach the bottom of the bottle, so you can't get the last bit out
    Packaging that is impossible to get opened but turns into a chocolate teapot once it's been open for 5 seconds and disintegrates
    Crockery that comes with stickers that are either impossible to get off or only comes off halfway
    Tinfoil/cling-film that has a crappy serrated cut-off thingy which doesn't work
    Kitchen roll that doesn't tear properly
    Bin bags that don't come off the roll properly
    Floor cleaner that leaves a residue on your nice clean tiles so your feet go "squanch squanch squanch squanch" when you're walking through the kitchen
    Christmas crackers that don't pop when you pull them

I mean, the vast majority of these things......that's all they're designed to do, and they fail miserably.

YOU HAD ONE F*CKING JOB!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Kettles that due to the spout design, when you're only boiling enough water for 1 cup, you have to tip them so far your hand holding the kettle gets scalded by steam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Household items that don't perform the one and only task for which they are designed. Absolutely boils my piss that some of the stuff ever even makes it to market:

Tea-towels that aren't absorbent enough so you're just smearing the water around the plates
    Hand soap dispensers with tubes that don't reach the bottom of the bottle, so you can't get the last bit out
    Packaging that is impossible to get opened but turns into a chocolate teapot once it's been open for 5 seconds and disintegrates
    Crockery that comes with stickers that are either impossible to get off or only comes off halfway
    Floor cleaner that leaves a residue on your nice clean tiles so your feet go "squanch squanch squanch squanch" when you're walking through the kitchen

I mean, the vast majority of these things......that's all they're designed to do, and they fail miserably.

YOU HAD ONE F*CKING JOB!

Brilliant post!

All of the above really get on my nerves, but to see them together in a list is bringing out my inner psycho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Tall beer glasses, I want a traditional size and shape pint glass not something that looks like it had flowers in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Seanachai wrote: »
    Tall beer glasses, I want a traditional size and shape pint glass not something that looks like it had flowers in it.

They are a pain to wash too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Trying to open that hard stubborn plastic packet a new pair of scissors comes in.

''Hang on I'll just get the scis...''

fuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

I'm tired. I'm so very very tired of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Seanachai wrote: »

In some bars in Australia I'd ask for a pint of cider or lager and get a glass that was more than a half but less than a pint. I think they called it a "midi". That was seriously more than a TA :mad:

Also, a lot of pubs didn't sell Jager. Even those that did often insisted on pouring the Red Bull rather than giving me the can, which really p!ssed me off.

And don't even get me started on their draconian smoking regulations.

It's a fantastic country, and I had the holiday of a lifetime, but the alcohol and smoking rules were very annoying at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Alecto wrote: »

I offer a kick in the arse service if you want to avail.
    €1.50 per kick. Guaranteed to rid you of tiredness feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

YOU HAD ONE F*CKING JOB!

Added bonus TA for the glued on plastic serrated edges that don't cut the cling film, but split from the box and will cut your hand or wrist :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I offer a kick in the arse service if you want to avail.
    €1.50 per kick. Guaranteed to rid you of tiredness feelings.

Are you side cheek or a major root in the hole?

Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any adults that say ''veggies'' instead of vegetables.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In some bars in Australia I'd ask for a pint of cider or lager and get a glass that was more than a half but less than a pint. I think they called it a "midi". That was seriously more than a TA :mad:

Bloody expensive as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Omackeral wrote: »

Holibops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I say vaggies cos I think I'm gas - thoughts? :pac:

TA - room temperature sparkling water :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Are you side cheek or a major root in the hole?

Asking for a friend.

We are willing to be flexible but generally we find a hearty boot to the coccyx delivers the best value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I actually started a thread on this in R&R at one stage because it's so annoying. That the heck is the point of tea towels that don't dry???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Alecto

You'd cry if you met my mother or my sister. Everything is about veggies and chillaxing and it's yummy and fab and brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

Alecto wrote: »

Hope everything is okay Alecto.

My TA is the milk I bought yesterday, with a use by date of the 16th, is spoiled and smells revolting.

No tea for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A tectonic plate of a spot forming on my chin. My whole face literally aches because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

people, mainly Irish, who cannot pronounce their "H"s.

i once shared a house with a lad from Co. Monaghan. every Sunday & Thursday evening he would informl us he was going for his "bat".
    (didn't know he was into Baseball or Cricket i thought.)
    whenever we had a discussion on anything and he disagreed with our viewpiont, he would call it a "mit". (why is he was so obsessed by kids' gloves, i mused)
    one evening we were deciding how to pay the fuel bill which was quite high after all his "bats", he proposed we each put a "turd" on the table.

i found alternative accommodation soon afterwards.

i once shared a house with a lad from Co. Monaghan. every Sunday & Thursday evening he would informl us he was going for his "bat".
    whenever we had a discussion on anything and he disagreed with our viewpiont, he would call it a "mit". (why is he was so obsessed by kids' gloves, i mused)
    one evening we were deciding how to pay the fuel bill which was quite high after all his "bats", he proposed we each put a "turd" on the table.

Accent,

It's called an accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

^^

It is an accent. Also it also originates from the the fact you do not pronounce "th" in Gaelic and it has just carried on for generations.

My 7 years old son has mocked me over it (I live in England and he has grown up English) and to be fair after 10 years in England and with a public facing job my "th" is a lot better than most Irish people. But I do get a little self conscious if I have to say '3' or God help me '33' or a 'third'- I break out in sweats...:(

As I like to retort- the English stole our 'th'.

Bet your flatmate knew how to capitalise his sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

A tectonic plate of a spot forming on my chin. My whole face literally aches because of it.

I've a massive coldsore right mid lip.
    It actually looks like a stud piercing :(

To thine own self be true

People who needlessly put an s on the end of the name of a shop or Supermarket. It's okay if shop is somebody's surname, even if they don't include an apostrophe themselves (Dunne's, Roche's, Cleary's etc), but the great unwashed who insist on calling it Tesco's. :mad:

I've heard others say it's because it ends in a vowel.......Oh yeah? I'm just gonna pop down to the old Esso's gargae, then, you know?.....the one with the Centra's in the back of it.

Just now I saw a post which referenced "Lidl's and Aldi's" :confused:

Dis, Dat, Dees and Doughs

Dats the way dee TH go-wizz :pac:

Every time I hear an English person pronounce 6th as 'sikth' I die a little inside.

^^

It is an accent. Also it also originates from the the fact you do not pronounce "th" in Gaelic and it has just carried on for generations.

My 7 years old son has mocked me over it (I live in England and he has grown up English) and to be fair after 10 years in England and with a public facing job my "th" is a lot better than most Irish people. But I do get a little self conscious if I have to say '3' or God help me '33' or a 'third'- I break out in sweats...:(

As I like to retort- the English stole our 'th'.

Bet your flatmate knew how to capitalise his sentences.

Reminds me of my Londoner friend whenever I see him

Him: "Hey Tacitus - say fwree mate"

Me: "Free"

Him: "Naww, the numbah - fwree"

Me: "fuck off you oblivious cunt"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I've a massive coldsore right mid lip.
    It actually looks like a stud piercing :(
    You poor thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Reminds me of my Londoner friend whenever I see him

Him: "Hey Tacitus - say fwree mate"

Me: "Free"

Him: "Naww, the numbah - fwree"

Me: "fuck off you oblivious cunt"

I was on my J1 in Boston years ago (actually over 20 years now) it became a running joke by the American guys to get me to say:

"They are always after me lucky charms."

I think I did it just the once and they pissed themselves laughing. Another time my supervisor was a bit pissed off with us (I was the only Irish guy) for something and just to break the tension I said in my thickest Irish accent. It worked- the boss just burst his hole and said: "You guys just crack me up" and off he went laughing away.

FYI in case you didn't know- it relates to a breakfast cereal ad and a leprechaun who says it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I had a housemate in college called Cathy, another of our housemates repeatedly called her Catty despite being told about 100 times that Catty wasn't her name.

People dropping the "h" in words doesn't usually bother me, but hearing the way he said her name was the most irritating, grating thing ever. By the end of the semester I was correcting him on it too because I couldn't bear the sound of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement