Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thanks for the replied guys. It isn't OEM, nor did i heat it up, it does however fit into place perfectly except in that one place which i suspect is my own error, there are indeed black plastic clips there, they act as locking clips, i think when i took off the plastic cover i should have removed the metal bar and then put the bag on. She's definitely for that bike, i made sure of it. To add insult to injury i've rounded one of those fcuking screws :mad:

I got a rounded head rocker cover bolt out one time by using epoxy to stick an Allen key to it.
    Just about worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

blade1 wrote: »
    I got a rounded head rocker cover bolt out one time by using epoxy to stick an Allen key to it.
    Just about worked.

I'll have to give it a go, it's annoying me as to whether i can take off the metal panel that the bolts screw into and then it goes on top of the tank cover. I'm not long back from a spin on it, i tried a helmet mounted camera and was bloody disappointed by the quality of the footage from it.

I'll have to give it a go

Thread carefully! :D

Thread carefully! :D

Hey hey :P

Am I in trouble here?

53606978-2-C1-A-4270-96-CE-6985-B3527791.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any coolant in it ?

Any coolant Loss?

listermint wrote: »
    Any coolant in it ?

Any coolant Loss?

I stuck in 2 litres of coolant last week, no loss of coolant but the fan isn’t kicking in. The temperature hovered around the 90’s while in motion only climbing when stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I stuck in 2 litres of coolant last week, no loss of coolant but the fan isn’t kicking in. The temperature hovered around the 90’s while in motion only climbing when stopped

Multimeter the Fan supply , or apply power to it from another source to make sure its working.

listermint wrote: »
    Multimeter the Fan supply , or apply power to it from another source to make sure its working.

She’s getting the carbs done on Monday so I can say it to them. Would the thermostat be one possibility considering how long it’s sitting? It lost none of its power anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,155 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Temp in the 90s when riding it is fine, so the thermostat must be opening.

If the fan gets stuck with dirt then it'll blow the fuse when the motor tries to turn it - does it turn freely? And check the fuse obv

Dirt in radiator fins? Best way to clean that is compressed air from the rear of the rad.

Coolant system could be full of gunk / rad partially blocked. Flush out and take the rad out and flush it with a hose in both directions.

Find out how to release trapped air when filling the system, there could be a bleed screw on the water pump, or on some bikes you fill it up, run it for a couple of minutes, then take the rad cap off (NOT on a hot engine) then top up the radiator, run it again then top off the expansion tank.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Temp in the 90s when riding it is fine, so the thermostat must be opening.

If the fan gets stuck with dirt then it'll blow the fuse when the motor tries to turn it - does it turn freely? And check the fuse obv

Dirt in radiator fins? Best way to clean that is compressed air from the rear of the rad.

Coolant system could be full of gunk / rad partially blocked. Flush out and take the rad out and flush it with a hose in both directions.

Find out how to release trapped air when filling the system, there could be a bleed screw on the water pump, or on some bikes you fill it up, run it for a couple of minutes, then take the rad cap off (NOT on a hot engine) then top up the radiator, run it again then top off the expansion tank.

Fan turns freely, i tried this with my hand before setting off.

Plenty of dirt in the fins of the rad.

Thinking the rad might have a blockage, i'm unsure if there is coolant in the pipes,when i squeeze them i can't hear liquid.

Getting it all done on Monday now that i know what's going on.

I can't get access to the radiator cap without removing the fairings.

I know with my cars in the past i didn't have to fill via the cap, the bottle was adequate, maybe this is where i messed up?

Everything else is running fine with it now, all the consumables are just age expired but still in good condition the tyres are 18 years old but not hard/cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If you know the fan is not kicking in and you were sitting in traffic then I'd say that's all it is. If the coolant is low in the system you'd get a misread on the temp. Get a torch and check for any burst pipes, if the bikes not in great shape and there's air in the system it would definitely burst a pipe. But it's probably just the fan.

zubair wrote: »
    If you know the fan is not kicking in and you were sitting in traffic then I'd say that's all it is. If the coolant is low in the system you'd get a misread on the temp. Get a torch and check for any burst pipes, if the bikes not in great shape and there's air in the system it would definitely burst a pipe. But it's probably just the fan.

I did a 2 mile run around my locality just to see how it would run. Coolant in the bottle is full. No burst pipes, no leaks, the fan and rad have some surface rust. As HBD said, maybe a coolant flush or something might solve it as there may be a blockage in the road after the same coolant sat there for 16 years minimum. I’ll try and post a photo of the fan/rad to give you guys an idea. Fan moves by hand so it’s not stuck. Fins full of rubbish though. When in motion it ran well but you’d know the carbs need doing

Am I in trouble here?

53606978-2-C1-A-4270-96-CE-6985-B3527791.jpg

Probably fan switch gone.

Probably fan switch gone.

Wemoto have those?

Wemoto have those?
    Get it diagnosed first.
    Easy to check anyway.
    Without that everybody including myself can't be sure without the bike at hand.
    But they should be easy to pick up.

Get it diagnosed first.
    Easy to check anyway.
    Without that everybody including myself can't be sure without the bike at hand.
    But they should be easy to pick up.

Mechanic is taking it on Monday to change the tyres , do the carbs and see what else it may need. Hopefully a small bill.

The Tuono Racing on latest issue of fastbikes :)

FB-IMG-1578157601090.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Sweet, a tunono will tear the balls off the firestorm lol.
    That 954 is running radials.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,155 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In fairness there's not much that woudn't tear the balls of a firestorm, most misnamed bike ever :p guy I knew owned one, drank petrol but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding (well, compared to other litre twins)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

In fairness there's not much that woudn't tear the balls of a firestorm, most misnamed bike ever :p guy I knew owned one, drank petrol but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding (well, compared to other litre twins)

They have their following and I respect that, but they ain't for me. I'm 110% sure there's some who would question owning any aprilias for instance lol:pac:
    There was a fella online out in Galway mad into them with some super trick Moriwaki parts on his. Iirc one of his was an ex race bike with a Spondon frame or the like possibly. So cool.

I drove two of them and found them nervous actually, seemed like it might slap on me. Incidentally one of them did and threw my mate off. Not sure if that's a thing with them but I notice a few twitches.
    My 954 did the same but I had a damper on her.

Looking for advice on tyres before they are ordered tomorrow. I’ve been advised to go with either Dunlop Sport or Pirelli Diablo. Which would you go with or what else would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Well lads, haven't been near the bike in about 2 weeks.
    Knew the muffler had a hole in it, so today I got a chance to look at it.
    IMG-20200104-122542.jpg

Bit off a big hole alright :p
    Just did a Gunter of a job till I get my hands on the originals
    IMG-20200105-180423.jpg
    Think the cause of it is because of the rear shock bolt, it must of been rubbing of the exhaust as I'm riding.
    I swapped the bolt around, so now the head is on the outside and nut on the inside but it's still rubbing against the exhaust. Any ideas on what I can do/adjust?
    IMG-20200105-184818.jpg

This is the other side, bit close but no bother on this exhaust
    IMG-20200105-184754.jpg

Sorry for the s**t pics. Tis dark very early still!!

Are they arrow cans?
    One side looks too close.
    Is there a spacer on the bolt that holds the strap?

Like the one below
    Screenshot-20200105-200644-2.jpg

Are they arrow cans?
    One side looks too close.
    Is there a spacer on the bolt that holds the strap?

Like the one below
    Screenshot-20200105-200644-2.jpg

Yep arrow exhausts.
    How the hell did ya know??? :D
    Yep that spacer is in.
    It looks as tho something isnt aligned properly.
    Feck it I'll have to see if I can straighten it tomorrow at some stage.

Is the strap on the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Nut and bolts on the bottomof the shocks look to be the wrong way around, nut should be on the inside. it would give way more clearance to the end can.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Nut and bolts on the bottomof the shocks look to be the wrong way around, nut should be on the inside. it would give way more clearance to the end can.
    I think he swapped them around and is still rubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Big piece of pipe over or into the exhaust and bend it out a tad.
    It may have taken a bang somewhere and be very slightly bent.
    If you want to maximise the effort, loosen some of the exhaust mounting bolts and then put the pressure on, nip the fasteners up while the pressure is on.
    Put a lump of wood between the frame and a wall and use a ratchet strap to apply the pressure.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »

Thanks zx
    I had swapped the bolt and nut around hoping it was simple as that but no joy

Advertisement