Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Right then I’ll be avoiding him at all costs, thank you for the heads up. He’s clearly far from short if he is able to be that ruthless to turn his nose up at so much money

I've no idea what he is like.
    Could be the soundest fella on the planet for all I know.
    I think his prices are high but that's his own choice.
    I'd be making sure it's clear what's covered if there's a problem afterwards.
    Usually just engine and gearbox and even at that, some dealers can be reluctant to sort properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

blade1 wrote: »
    I've no idea what he is like.
    Could be the soundest fella on the planet for all I know.
    I think his prices are high but that's his own choice.
    I'd be making sure it's clear what's covered if there's a problem afterwards.
    Usually just engine and gearbox and even at that, some dealers can be reluctant to sort properly.

I've struck an agreement on a price for the blue one (loan permitting), the reduced price means on a sold as seen basis. But the reviews are very positive. I'll avoid Hourigan and keep just under 2k in my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

zubair wrote: »
    Neither seem like a deal to me so why are you buying from the UK?

UK bike is 2 years newer and circa 2k cheaper. Having spoken to a neighbour the Irish bike is daylight robbery, the UK bike is average.

Neither seem like a deal to me so why are you buying from the UK?

There doesn't seem to be much going for small money these days.
    6 years ago you could have bought those R1's for €2000 or less.

• Advertisement

UK bike is 2 years newer and circa 2k cheaper. Having spoken to a neighbour the Irish bike is daylight robbery, the UK bike is average.

Personally I'd rather this but maybe I'm biased.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/aprilia-tuono-fantastic-condition-price-drop/23290234

Edit: just noticed the milage on it which is not the proper milage.
    Shouldn't be a problem anyway if taken care of which it looks like it was.

Personally I'd rather this but maybe I'm biased.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/aprilia-tuono-fantastic-condition-price-drop/23290234

Edit: just noticed the milage on it which is not the proper milage.
    Shouldn't be a problem anyway if taken care of which it looks like it was.
    You’re an Aprillia man? Goes against your username :pac:

Had a blade when I joined boards and was all I could think of at the time.:)
    Had several.
    Are u replacing a bike or will it be used as a second bike?
    Aprilia not your thing no?
    Step forward and see the light my son!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭H_Lime

My advise is do your homework, they are not for everyone. A sorted one is a joy, an unsorted one a days work if you know what to do. If you dont want to know or can't be bothered and just expect it to be reliable they can let you down. This happened to a mate who cursed it.
    Thst one seems to have the probs ironed out. They badly need a mosfet rr too.
    If yer going looking at that perhaps myself and Blade1 can cast our eyes over it.

H_Lime wrote: »
    My advise is do your homework, they are not for everyone. A sorted one is a joy, an unsorted one a days work if you know what to do. If you dont want to know or can't be bothered and just expect it to be reliable they can let you down. This happened to a mate who cursed it.
    Thst one seems to have the probs ironed out. They badly need a mosfet rr too.
    If yer going looking at that perhaps myself and Blade1 can cast our eyes over it.

Would u not recommend a series regulator?
    Would be more worried about that on a gen 2 with a 500w flywheel.
    Have u witnessed gen1 regulators give trouble when the usual preventive measures have been taken?

• Advertisement

Had a blade when I joined boards and was all I could think of at the time.:)
    Had several.
    Are u replacing a bike or will it be used as a second bike?
    Aprilia not your thing no?
    Step forward and see the light my son!! :pac:

That explains it :)

I’m adding, have an SV650 the last few years, while it does the job I’d like something else just to keep me occupied (and irritate my wife :pac:) I’m open to anything that is wise, you seem like a wise person. I want to see the light with a smile on my face :D

That explains it :)

I’m adding, have an SV650 the last few years, while it does the job I’d like something else just to keep me occupied (and irritate my wife :pac:) I’m open to anything that is wise, you seem like a wise person. I want to see the light with a smile on my face :D

Take the Tuono for a test spin and see what you think.
    You have an sv650.
    That alone tells me you're not completely stupid :p :pac::pac:

Would u not recommend a series regulator?
    Would be more worried about that on a gen 2 with a 500w flywheel.
    Have u witnessed gen1 regulators give trouble when the usual preventive measures have been taken?

Yeah its more common on the later model ones with the stator frying tendencies to fit the new series jobbies to give em an easier time. Lads be buying them off polaris yokes out the states. Not unheard of having the stator go on my gen but not common enough to warrent not fitting a mosfet. Besides i buy em whenever i see them cheap and have a rake of the right waterproof factory connectors to fit em.

Gen 1 scr shunt style oem rr's are high resistance waiting to happen in my experience. It's the first thing i change. They do the typical high voltage at low rpm and low voltage at mid and high rpm even from new. Eventually they fry and take wiring and whatever else they can when they go to angry pixie heaven.
    Tbh the rotax aprilias don't need the bigger cca batteries we all fit if you have a steady 14.4v a mosfet fh008eh delivers. A good idea is upgraded thicker higher quality Walker cables from battery to solenoid to starter. Mine cranks like its on speed with them.
    Then right the wrongs the factory did on the suspension linkage, ****ty crimping and wire in the usual spots etc etc

Yeah its more common on the later model ones with the stator frying tendencies to fit the new series jobbies to give em an easier time. Lads be buying them off polaris yokes out the states. Not unheard of having the stator go on my gen but not common enough to warrent not fitting a mosfet. Besides i buy em whenever i see them cheap and have a rake of the right waterproof factory connectors to fit em.

Gen 1 scr shunt style oem rr's are high resistance waiting to happen in my experience. It's the first thing i change. They do the typical high voltage at low rpm and low voltage at mid and high rpm even from new. Eventually they fry and take wiring and whatever else they can when they go to angry pixie heaven.
    Tbh the rotax aprilias don't need the bigger cca batteries we all fit if you have a steady 14.4v a mosfet fh008eh delivers. A good idea is upgraded thicker higher quality Walker cables from battery to solenoid to starter. Mine cranks like its on speed with them.
    Then right the wrongs the factory did on the suspension linkage, ****ty crimping and wire in the usual spots etc etc

You use a 150amp starter solenoid as well?
    I have on 2 bikes but must get one for my T Racing, along with the John Walker cables.
    The list of things to do is never ending though so as long as I have her ready for the new season, that'll do.

I picked this up from a lad in Italy.
    Arrived yesterday.
    My own one has some bubbling of the decal.
    IMG-20191113-105048.jpg

See the price of a new one :eek::eek:

Screenshot-20191114-122016-01.jpg

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ^

Thats almost to the Euro that I paid for my brand new 125 GSX :pac:

Mental, I didn't pay much more for the whole bike.

You use a 150amp starter solenoid as well?
    I have on 2 bikes but must get one for my T Racing, along with the John Walker cables.
    The list of things to do is never ending though so as long as I have her ready for the new season, that'll do.

I picked this up from a lad in Italy.
    Arrived yesterday.
    My own one has some bubbling of the decal.
    IMG-20191113-105048.jpg

See the price of a new one :eek::eek:

Screenshot-20191114-122016-01.jpg
    Im pretty sure you know why it did that yea?. Feckin plastic tank's eh!

Im pretty sure you know why it did that yea?. Feckin plastic tank's eh!

I do yeah.
    It was like it when I bought the bike.
    Even though it is only one section it has been bugging me since so I have been on the look out for one in good condition with a few years.
    A pin prick on the bubbles sorts them temporarily.
    The one I got is in beautiful condition.
    The guy has a collection of various Aprilia tanks.

My old one is for sale so seeing the price of a new one I suppose 2k would be a fair price for it :pac::pac:

Any thoughts on using Caswell to seal the tank?
    Does it eventually come away in bits and you'd be left with a nightmare to sort?

I do yeah.
    It was like it when I bought the bike.
    Even though it is only one section it has been bugging me since so I have been on the look out for one in good condition with a few years.
    A pin prick on the bubbles sorts them temporarily.
    The one I got is in beautiful condition.
    The guy has a collection of various Aprilia tanks.

My old one is for sale so seeing the price of a new one I suppose 2k would be a fair price for it :pac::pac:

Any thoughts on using Caswell to seal the tank?
    Does it eventually come away in bits and you'd be left with a nightmare to sort?

Mixed thoughts on it. Tis only as good as its application and crucially its prep and theres a lot more needing doing in prep than most think. There's a chap on aprilia site Stu_O whos done a propee job on it, have a search.
    Had my own tank woes
    20180301-204618.jpg
    The grey is filler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Wayne Rainey Rides again.
    https://youtu.be/imqwHIjwO2w

Mixed thoughts on it. Tis only as good as its application and crucially its prep and theres a lot more needing doing in prep than most think. There's a chap on aprilia site Stu_O whos done a propee job on it, have a search.
    Had my own tank woes
    20180301-204618.jpg
    The grey is filler

I drain the tank if I think I won't be using a bike for a while.
    Was the filler because of warping?
    Did you try a bit of heat on it first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Treated myself (out of mostly necessity!) to some new gear today.

Got Richa Artic GTX gloves, Richa Hammer jeans and TCX Street Ace boots. Can't wait to give 'em a whirl tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Treated myself (out of mostly necessity!) to some new gear today.

Got Richa Artic GTX gloves, Richa Hammer jeans and TCX Street Ace boots. Can't wait to give 'em a whirl tomorrow.

Ordered the Street Ace meself the other day haven't got them yet.

Also got the Richa Artic (non GTX) last week. Still getting used to the extra bulk

PCeeeee wrote: »

Also got the Richa Artic (non GTX) last week. Still getting used to the extra bulk

As winter gloves go they're not actually that bulky to be fair. They are warm though.

As winter gloves go they're not actually that bulky to be fair. They are warm though.

Yeah they're not bad just indicating and I keep catching my hand guards. I think it's more they're a little stiff. I'd expect them to wear in nicely

Yeah they're not bad just indicating and I keep catching my hand guards. I think it's more they're a little stiff. I'd expect them to wear in nicely

Or beeping every time you try to indicate. Gloves stretch a lot so I'm sure they'll fit like a... Erm glove.

Or beeping every time you try to indicate. Gloves stretch a lot so I'm sure they'll fit like a... Erm glove.

Quite 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Same as you with the gloves, it's that bit of extra bulk :)
    But man, I was glad of them today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Myself and my wife are just back from the bike show in the NEC. It was good and we got some little things we needed.

I got to "drive" the new HD Livewire on a fixed rig and when the Harley rep told me to "nail it" I took him up wrong and locked the throttle open sending the bike up to 140 mph odd and nearly jack knifing it off the stand !!! Your man nearly lost it :pac:

Turns out I should have only brought it up to 60 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What does be think Nail it means....

Advertisement