Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options
  • 31-12-2019 3:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

Would you not rather travel or spend on stuff more important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

You'd be better off saving money for your wedding day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

it was grand when it was only every year, but then when they brought in the 131- and 132- , changing every six months got a bit too much for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People do it thinking of you so you can buy your second, third, etc hand Octavia in a few years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

Well happy days, but its som waste of money. What satisfaction do you get off a new car?

Well happy days, but its som waste of money. What satisfaction do you get off a new car?

Long warranty, No NCT's,etc.
    Having the latest technology.
    Even the safety equipment has dramatically improved.
    Your Octavia would have being put through the Euro NCAP tests in 2004 and came out with a four star rating which would have being a good enough result at the time. You'd probably have got a few additional features with the 2009 face lift.
    However you the latest model is packed with additional safety features in the event of a crash and even one's that could prevent a crash in the first place so this would give some people a lot of satisfaction.

• Advertisement

Long warranty, No NCT's,etc.
    Having the latest technology.
    Even the safety equipment has dramatically improved.
    Your Octavia would have being put through the Euro NCAP tests in 2004 and came out with a four star rating which would have being a good enough result at the time. You'd probably have got a few additional features with the 2009 face lift.
    However you the latest model is packed with additional safety features in the event of a crash and even one's that could prevent a crash in the first place so this would give some people a lot of satisfaction.

Still some waste of money Again Sorry if you buy into the propaganda BS that does be spouted around. How can justify losing that much money over a few years?

Is an NCT every year or even two years really that big of an Inconvenience? Really? Half an hour in a NCT test center your car is done.
    If something has to be done to the car most garages will now collect from your work place and do the work and drop it back.

Its a complete and utter waste of money, My 2010 Octavia elegance probably cost me a sixth of the price and still gets me to A to B with no breakdowns whatsoever. Come on you just want to show off a 19 license plate which i can easily afford but wouldn't bother waste my money on it.

Seriously like. Is it to prove a point to the neighbors or something?

Still some waste of money Again Sorry if you buy into the propaganda BS that does be spouted around. How can justify losing that much money over a few years?

Its a complete and utter waste of money, My 2010 Octavia elegance probably cost me a fifth of the price and still gets me to A to B with no breakdowns whatsoever.

Yes, just not as safe tough for yourself and anybody travelling in your car or other road users!

Yes, just not as safe tough for yourself and anybody travelling in your car or other road users!

Jaysus, you really no nothing about cars. Keep spending money on new cars, your great for people like me.

So in a 2010 Octavia versus a 2019 Octavia at 120 KM/h please tell me how i'll survive in a 120 KM/H crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The smell.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    The smell.

That does be gone after a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Until you own a new car you’ll never understand the pleasure, zero hassle and sheer convenience of owning one. All the new cars I’ve had didn’t cost me a penny in expensive repairs vs previous used car that did. If at all possible I’d buy a new car or at least nearly new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

That does be gone after a week.

How do you know if you never bought one?

road_high wrote: »
    Until you own a new car you’ll never understand the pleasure, zero hassle and sheer convenience of owning one. All the new cars I’ve had didn’t cost me a penny in expensive repairs vs previous used car that did. If at all possible I’d buy a new car or at least nearly new.

My Octavia is still going strong after two years, had an Avensis before but it was 1.6 petrol and was driving up and down to Dublin, it was costing me a fortune on petrol is the only reason i got rid of it (240KM a day). I put it through the NCT and failed on back shock. Garage picked it from my work place replaced shock and passed NCT.

Altogether it cost me roughly two hours of my free time and 80 euro and 120 euro for the back shock. Better than paying 25K for a new car.

Nothing wrong with the Skoda now, i don't mind been out an hour or two every year for something minor.

Your time must be precious.

Jaysus, you really no nothing about cars. Keep spending money on new cars, your great for people like me.

So in a 2010 Octavia versus a 2019 Octavia at 120 KM/h please tell me how i'll survive in a 120 KM/H crash.

A system such as lane support assistance may help you not crash in the first place.
    Your better off in 2019. The tests have being done.

A system such as lane support assistance may help you not crash in the first place.
    Your better off in 2019. The tests have being done.

Spending an extra 20K at a deprecating value no thanks. If the car wasn't roadworthy it wouldn't be on the road.

Do you still not realize its a waste of money? . I rented a car in the UK with it but worth 20K no thanks, i wouldn't even call it a good feature

Any statistics on how lane departure prevented accidents?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

I'm in the same boat, I've always run a decent 10+ year old car, cheap motoring. A lot of idiots get suckered into it. Most of these cars are usually basic specs with the cheapest monthly payment options.

I know I'd prefer to drive a 10+ year old VW,Audi or BMW than a brand new Renault/Dacia etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

My Octavia is still going strong after two years, had an Avensis before but it was 1.6 petrol and was driving up and down to Dublin, it was costing me a fortune on petrol is the only reason i got rid of it (240KM a day). I put it through the NCT and failed on back shock. Garage picked it from my work place replaced shock and passed NCT.

Altogether it cost me roughly two hours of my free time and 80 euro and 120 euro for the back shock. Better than paying 25K for a new car.

Nothing wrong with the Skoda now, i don't mind been out an hour or two every year for something minor.

Your time must be precious.

It’s usually people that can’t afford a new car come out with this stuff I find. Reassuring themselves that’s all down to their own superior common sense (rather than the fact they probably can’t afford a new car and need that validation). A 2009 Skoda is old hat at this stage and grand if you just want a cheap A-B car with no frills

As long as it wasn't a head on collision with another vehicle, high chance of survival in both cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you can afford it I see the attraction.
    But many people are buying cars that are out of their price range and sacrifice other aspects of their life to do so.

road_high wrote: »
    It’s usually people that can’t afford a new car come out with this stuff I find. Reassuring themselves that’s all down to their own superior common sense (rather than the fact they probably can’t afford a new car and need that validation). A 2009 Skoda is old hat at this stage and grand if you just want a cheap A-B car with no frills

I can easily afford a new car. pay it off in cash if i wanted to, probably five times over.

Its a pointless exercise, what i find is that people want to show off to their neighbors, but that's just me. It's usually the folk that maybe get out once a month and spend their lives between work and home, probably a summer holiday as well.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    If you can afford it I see the attraction.
    But many people are buying cars that are out of their price range and sacrifice other aspects of their life to do so.

I agree with this too, if your into cars and can afford to.. then why not I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

I don't.

But I do have an urge to get a 'slighrly' used hybrid (or EV) to replace my diesel. Probably imported from UK.

Two year old model would be good.

Spending an extra 20K at a deprecating value no thanks. If the car wasn't roadworthy it wouldn't be on the road.

Do you still not realize its a waste of money? . I rented a car in the UK with it but worth 20K no thanks, i wouldn't even call it a good feature

Any statistics on how lane departure prevented accidents?

I'm not really interested in looking up statistics I'd rather have the safety features.
    It's good to know that you value a holiday over your loved one's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Knowing the only bodily fluids on the seats are your own.

Btw, do you buy everything 2nd hand to save money? If not, why not?

Why did you waste 6 grand on it btw? You could have gotten an older one cheaper. Seems you're buying in to the propaganda of cars over 5 grand.

I'm not really interested in looking up statistics I'd rather have the safety features.

Oh my God, You must be easily led by the media. FFS.

Knowing the only bodily fluids on the seats are your own.

Btw, do you buy everything 2nd hand to save money? If not, why not?

No, I have more money than i know what to do with to be honest. A car is a depreciating asset. Probably the worst thing you can spend money on.

I like to invest my money where i get a return.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

A car is a depreciating asset. .

Pretty much everything you buy is a depreciating asset.

Why did you skip the first half of my post btw? Other peoples ****, piss , mucus and possible other things are in your 2nd hand car.

Okay so the op end's up in a collision (in his octavia) with a person driving a 2019 little crudbox, Let's say the likes of a dacia sandero, renault clio, micra , yaris.. Who's more likely to walk away?......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bought y car 1 year old and saved over 20k.

I'll keep it for a few years and write off the depreciation.

If you can afford it, why not? Some people spend money on travel, some on cars. Who cares, their money. I do both!

• Advertisement

Oh my God, You must be easily led by the media. FFS.

You must led by Air Lingus trying to get you to splash out on holidays over you safety!

Advertisement