Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Can anyone tell me what's the financial benefit of having a new car?

What's the financial benefit of a new fridge or television?

Or, to keep it closer to the theme of someone's sweaty balls, a new bed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's about the same as owning the latest tech device or other similar hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There is none. Just like there is no financial benefit to holidays, drinking, smoking fags etc..

People don't buy new cars to financially benefit. They are a luxury item, just like any other luxury in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Also why not go for a Ferrari, Lambo ,Porsche, Buggati?

If you have 30k to spend on a new car you should have enough for above? Why not get one?

Money isn't everything!
    What's the point of buying anything new if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

Why not go for a Ferrari, Lambo ,Porsche, Buggati?

If you have 30k to spend on a new car you should have enough for above? Why not get one?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Also why not go for a Ferrari, Lambo ,Porsche, Buggati?

Peace of mind & hassle free motoring.

Maintainence, running costs & higher percentage of depreciation on those cars obviously.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    There is none. Just like there is no financial benefit to holidays, drinking, smoking fags etc..

People don't buy new cars to financially benefit. They are a luxury item, just like any other luxury in life.

The holiday is a good comparison too. Value drops to zero straight away. 100% depreciation in 2 weeks is worse than any car ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Having driven many Porches / Ferraris in the past (wealthy neighbours), I actually find my own car much more comfortable and subtle. You wouldn't look twice at it on the street.

You might be able to get the shell of a car like that but some people like to drive the car occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

FAMLEE wrote: »
    If ya sat in a 2019 octavia vrs you might think different?

Or.. you just see a car as a "white good" same as a fridge, microwave tv.?

I see people with double width 'american' fridges, everything else in the kitchen is integrated, but these have to be stand alone units, (or maybe it's too expensive to get them integrated, hard to know...) water-cooler / ice maker, the lot.
    And built in combi microvave / convection oven / steam oven ....

with what you'd save buying a normal fridge and microwave, you'd have enough for a reliable second hand car

• Advertisement

I think the OP might have just been refused credit...

I bet he'd be the type to go visiting & flashing a new car.

I thought he was genuine at first, but try to argue & give facts and he just deflects.. WTH?

Sorry folks i still don't see why you would bother with a new car.

Think of all you could be doing with the extra money. Whats a new car payment 500 a month or so or buy it out if you have the money.

I just will never understand.

I see people with double width 'american' fridges, everything else in the kitchen is integrated, but these have to be stand alone units, (or maybe it's too expensive to get them integrated, hard to know...) water-cooler / ice maker, the lot.

with what you'd save buying a normal fridge and microwave, you'd have enough for a reliable second hand car

I meant that some people are into cars, others just see them as a "white good" ie. it has one job to do & it does it

Some people live within their means and some don't.
    Hardly a revelation

Sorry folks i still don't see wjhy you would bother with a new car.

Think of all you could be doing with the extra money.

And I don't see why youd bother with the things you buy new. Think of all you could be doing with the extra money.

Maybe go on one of those appreciating asset holidays of yours.

I think the OP might have just been refused credit...

Didn't you read the numerous posts, he could buy Anne 7 series for cash if he wanted.

And I don't see why youd bother with the things you buy new. Think of all you could be doing with the extra money.

Maybe go on one of those appreciating asset holidays of yours.

No nothing like that, putting it towards retirement. A new car or retiring as early as possible, I know what i would do.

i plan on retiring at 50.

I can afford as many holidays i like a year, no problem. In any country in the world.

I wouldn't like spending my money driving around Ireland.

Didn't you read the numerous posts, he could buy Anne 7 series for cash if he wanted.

Must be a ganglander or traveller so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

He might be able to get Jedward back together he's so well off!

No nothing like that, putting it towards retirement. A new car or retiring as early as possible, I know what i would do.

i plan on retiring at 50.

I can afford four holidays a year regardless.any amount of holidays i want i year.

Cut down to ONE holiday per year and you can retire even quicker.

• Advertisement

I can afford four holidays a year regardless.

Seems like a waste of money. You could spend that money on a new car, at least that would have value. Cant sell 4 holidays you took.

I can afford four holidays a year regardless.

Someone did make a good point about people buying new cars. The more that do the more the market will be flooded, the better deal you can get.
    But you do not seem happy about this prospect.

He might be able to get Jedward back together he's so well off!

To be fair, most of us could probably afford that :pac:

To be fair, most of us could probably afford that :pac:

Nah, I'll retire at 45, 50 at the latest but enjoy your new cars.

You'll have plenty of time on your hands then to keep that octavia on the road.

I can send you the hayne's manual? Should come in handy over the next 30 years f

But what if I'm buying a new car instead of throwing money away on 4 holidays that have zero resale value?

What if I buy 1 new car and keep it for the same length of time as you keep the various cars you buy that end up adding up to the same value?

But what if I'm buying a new car instead of throwing money away on 4 holidays that have zero resale value?

What if I buy 1 new car and keep it for the same length of time as you keep the various cars you buy that end up adding up to the same value?

At least I go see the world instead of been stuck in Ireland. Anywhere I want.

What if you die of heart-attack / stroke at 44?...

That's a change of tune from a car being a waste of money because it depreciated so much. Your travel depreciates 100% straight away.

Maybe you're not as good with your money as you think.

• Advertisement

What if you die of heart-attack / stroke at 44?...

Wouldn't happen, I only eat grilled chicken Saturday and Sunday. Meat free rest of the week. Plenty of Spuds and Veg Monday to Friday.

Next please.

Advertisement