Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

Pretty much everything you buy is a depreciating asset.

i agree with that 100% but come on why throw money down the drain badly on a car. A 7K car well maintained is the same as a 28K car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Pretty much everything you buy is a depreciating asset.

The right cars are seriously appreciating assets.

If I had 25k to spend on a car now I'd invest it in one that's gonna be worth upwards of 80k in 10 years, put it in storage...

And I'd still drive an old 'banger' day to day..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That does be gone after a week.

Only if your a filth bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Okay so the op end's up in a collision (in his octavia) with a person driving a 2019 little crudbox, Let's say the likes of a dacia sandero, renault clio, micra , yaris.. Who's more likely to walk away?......

I'm comparing like with like.
    I'd rather a 2019 Octavia over his 2010 one and a holiday.

I'm comparing like with like.
    I'd rather a 2019 Octavia over his 2010 one and a holiday.

How do you not see there the biggest waste of money ever invented?

A fool and there money is soon parted.

• Advertisement

i agree with that 100% but come on why throw money down the drain badly on a car. A 7K car well maintained is the same as a 28K car.

Why throw it away on any new purchase rather than a car? To suit your arguement?

Convenient that you cherry pick 1 thing.

How about those bodily fluids btw?

I wouldn't buy a new car as i said, but i know some people, when they can afford to they do. And this is purely down to a cycle of years & years of getting nothing but hardship with older vehicles.

How do you not see that modern safety systems may save your life over a 2010 Octavia and holiday.
    It must be all that Jedward music you listen to.

Why throw it away on any new purchase rather than a car? To suit your arguement?

Convenient that you cherry pick 1 thing.

How about those bodily fluids btw?

Do you realize a valet costs 100 quid if not buying from a garage and done automatically if you are.

Do you realize a valet costs 100 quid if not buying from a garage and done automatically if you are.

Do you realise a valet wont take out those bodily fluids. They don't soak your car in ammonia.

• Advertisement

How do you not see that modern safety systems may save your life over a 2010 Octavia and holiday.
    It must be all that Jedward music you listen to.

How please? Some stats would be nice? Anything like?

Do you realise a valet wont take out those bodily fluids. They don't soak your car in ammonia.

LOL taking the piss. Enjoy pissing away 28K grand and more on something that you don't need.

Is it to impress the neighbors or the inconvenience of an hour out of your life for the NCT every year or two? Like i said garages now pick the car up from your workplace if something needs to be done.

You okay hun?

your octavia : https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/skoda/octavia/e94f86

New octavia: https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/skoda/octavia/968b2a

That being said that old octavia is still a hell of a lot safer than a huge proportion of new(er) cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If I had 25k to spend on a car now I'd invest it in one that's gonna be worth upwards of 80k in 10 years, put it in storage...

Still, it wouldn't be new you'd be buying...

your octavia : https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/skoda/octavia/e94f86

New octavia: https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/skoda/octavia/968b2a

That being said that old octavia is still a hell of a lot safer than a huge proportion of new(er) cars on the road.

Not much you can tell from that except the side of my car is more safer. Bonnet of newer one is saver.

Google the name of Safety feature and statistics.

I remember when airbags, etc became common and cars were awarded 4 and 5 NCAP stars they were one's who didn't believe it and they said they were better off without them.

LOL taking the piss. Enjoy pissing away 28K grand and more on something that you don't need.

Is it to impress the neighbors or the inconvenience of an hour out of your life for the NCT every year or two? Like i said garages now pick the car up from your workplace if something needs to be done.

You okay hun?

And you enjoy pissing away similar amounts buying everything else new that you could buy 2nd hand.

But then, let's be honest, this thread is only a wind up anyway. Probably with a bit of jealousy about not being able to afford a new car thrown in.

Always sceptical of anyone that tells you over and over how rich they are and proving it by not having money.

Remember to deeply inhale those poo particles.

And you enjoy pissing away similar amounts buying everything else new that you could buy 2nd hand.

But then, let's be honest, this thread is only a wind up anyway. Probably with a bit of jealousy about not being able to afford a new car thrown in.

Always sceptical of anyone that tells you over and over how rich they are and proving it by not having money.

Ha not whatsoever, I can afford whatever car i like to a certain standard of course. I really just don;t get why spend so much on a car.

I never have and never will and still havn't been convinced by your arguments.

Is it to impress the neighbors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

My car gets 1 star in the latest rating.....

tuxy wrote: »
    My car gets 1 star in the latest rating.....

Punto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Maybe people can afford it. If they can, more power to them.

You should be grateful. If people didn't buy new cars, there'd be no cheap 2nd hand for the rest to buy.

This reminds me of an RTE skit a few years back.
    "Just bought a new car"
    "Oh congrats, *mumbles* ..... prick"

In any other country, we would congratulate the success of others (provided it's not PCP or bank loan). Here, we begrudge.

When I got my most recent car, there were plenty of smart comments. My equally smart response "And I Bought it cash" (as in no finance)... the thick face on them priceless

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Maybe people can afford it. If they can, more power to them.

You should be grateful. If people didn't buy new cars, there'd be no cheap 2nd hand for the rest to buy.

This reminds me of an RTE skit a few years back.
    "Just bought a new car"
    "Oh congrats, *mumbles* ..... prick"

In any other country, we would congratulate the success of others (provided it's not PCP or bank loan). Here, we begrudge.

When I got my most recent car, there were plenty of smart comments. My equally smart response "And I Bought it cash" (as in no finance)... the thick face on them priceless

I can afford a new car, could pay cash for a 7 series in the morning to be honest.

I just don't get it to be honest. Unless your buying a Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari etc. every car is the same to me honest whatever the year. From your comment above its just like you bought a new car to show off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Punto?

Ah my mistake it's only the Australian rating that gives it one star

Euro NCAP says it's grand!

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/toyota/corolla/15494

Ha not whatsoever, I can afford whatever car i like to a certain standard of course. I

Sure you can. That's why you feel the need to tell everyone as often as possible.

Sure you can. That's why you feel the need to tell everyone as often as possible.

Hmm, not sure what to make of that comment. Is there horses high there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

any recommendations there? that's what, 12 % interest, not too bad... I could be doing with a lump sum like that in 10 years time.

I can afford a new car, could pay cash for a 7 series in the morning to be honest.

I just don't get it to be honest. Unless your buying a Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari etc. every car is the same to me honest whatever the year. From your comment above its just like you bought a new car to show off.

If ya sat in a 2019 octavia vrs you might think different?

Or.. you just see a car as a "white good" same as a fridge, microwave tv.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Show off to whom? Strangers on the street? Pull another one, you're just digging at the bottom of the barrel there and clearly begrudging.

I've liked the look if the car I now have for 2 years (since that marque came out) and always wanted one. Took one for a test drive at the start of the year and I was sold.

It's actually a modest looking car, so no showing off. It's the inside that sold it to me. Fcuking love it, seriously comfortable and fun to drive.

Although had to get it imported (via dealer so not a grey import) as there were no others in the country for sale at the time.

Can anyone tell me what's the financial benefit of having a new car?

Also why not go for a Ferrari, Lambo ,Porsche, Buggati?

If you have 30k to spend on a new car you should have enough for above? Why not get one?

• Advertisement

any recommendations there? that's what, 12 % interest, not too bad... I could be doing with a lump sum like that in 10 years time.

There's a few japanese gem's from the late 80's/early 90's. If your genuine PM me & i'll dig to find you the cream of the crop :)

Advertisement