Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

rubick wrote: »
    OFF TOPIC
    Any Dublin heads on the thread?
    We're heading to the capital to see Andrew Weatherall tomorrow night - was initially in WigWam but it's been moved to the new Bernard Shaw, an unknown quantity to us. Anyone been in there for a gig/rave? What's the size of the place?

Its a great place to bring your kids for a bowl of chips of a Saturday afternoon. Not sure its well set up for a gig as the bar is in the middle of the floor with booths all around

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Its a great place to bring your kids for a bowl of chips of a Saturday afternoon. Not sure its well set up for a gig as the bar is in the middle of the floor with booths all around

The Oh My Goodness out the back does amazing nachos. Also on a side note the absolute brass neck of EP to rename Mind&Body after B&S left. Very poor form in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The Oh My Goodness out the back does amazing nachos. Also on a side note the absolute brass neck of EP to rename Mind&Body after B&S left. Very poor form in my mind.

Not a great name either, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Not a great name either, is it?

Should have called it ' mind yourself now:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

As far as I've heard Cosby owns all the stages and structures in the Body&Soul Village, I feel Mind&Body will try to just replicate this, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to book some of the B&S acts from the past. Anyways if it doesn't amount to much in 2020 there's always a few other nice areas hopefully still there, Hazel Wood, Cerebral Fortress, Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Trenchtown (They should start booking some decent reggae headliners to inject interest in their corner), Fishtown, Rave in the woods, Green Crafts and all these places.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

As far as I've heard Cosby owns all the stages and structures in the Body&Soul Village, I feel Mind&Body will try to just replicate this, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to book some of the B&S acts from the past. Anyways if it doesn't amount to much in 2020 there's always a few other nice areas hopefully still there, Hazel Wood, Cerebral Fortress, Salty Dog, Trailer Park, Trenchtown (They should start booking some decent reggae headliners to inject interest in their corner), Fishtown, Rave in the woods, Green Crafts and all these places.

We won’t be stuck in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭endainoz

Rumors of the Rage getting confirmed for Coachella, hey one can dream!

Hey where's the Xmas talk about EP? :)

endainoz wrote: »
    Rumors of the Rage getting confirmed for Coachella, hey one can dream!

I think Coachella should be burned to the ground as its the wrong festival getting the best acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I think Coachella should be burned to the ground as its the wrong festival getting the best acts.

There is something very apt about Rage playing Coachella. Surely it's everything they're against

• Advertisement

There is something very apt about Rage playing Coachella. Surely it's everything they're against

A truer word couldn't have been said. ;)

Id be inclined to agree, except Rage played the very first Coachella in '99. Maybe it was a very different festival in those days.

Will be great if it's true and they start touring again. I didn't realize at the time how lucky we were to get that legendary Oxegen appearance. Would love to see them again.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think they also did Coachella on their last reunion tour back in 2008?

Caught Otherkin's final gig at the Roisin last night. A decent band with a good sound but they resemble a pastiche of all the indie & rock bands you love. A bit of the Strokes, a touch of Muse, the Clash, etc. Must have been hard for them to watch the Fontaines, Murder Capital and other newer, better bands pass them by.

Nevertheless they're a loss. Its a worrying sign when nationally succesfull bands can't afford to keep going. Let's hope it's not a bad sign of future developments and we don't lose many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rubick

Not sure its well set up for a gig as the bar is in the middle of the floor with booths all around

Agreed there, took us a bit of getting used to - the dancefloor (such at it is) was always completely rammed. Christmas booze cruise punters didn't help with numbers. Weatherall was great as always but I'm not sure I'd go back there for another night, really hope Bodytonic stay with WigWam. Or is there a licensing issue there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Caught Otherkin's final gig at the Roisin last night. A decent band with a good sound but they resemble a pastiche of all the indie & rock bands you love. A bit of the Strokes, a touch of Muse, the Clash, etc. Must have been hard for them to watch the Fontaines, Murder Capital and other newer, better bands pass them by.

Nevertheless they're a loss. Its a worrying sign when nationally succesfull bands can't afford to keep going. Let's hope it's not a bad sign of future developments and we don't lose many more.

It's a shame to see any band have to throw in the towel but you'd have higher hopes for the current clutch - Fontaines, Murder Capital, Just Mustard, etc - because, if nothing else, they are getting far more interest from abroad and that will sustain them a bit longer.

Otherkin could've been the best band on the planet but nobody was looking at the Irish "scene" when they were bursting, bar the local/national sites.

Fontaines (and by default Murder Capital and others) are getting a deserved uplift from the likes of NME, Stereogum, Pitchfork, etc that should hopefully keep them going for a while longer.

It's a shame to see any band have to throw in the towel but you'd have higher hopes for the current clutch - Fontaines, Murder Capital, Just Mustard, etc - because, if nothing else, they are getting far more interest from abroad and that will sustain them a bit longer.

Otherkin could've been the best band on the planet but nobody was looking at the Irish "scene" when they were bursting, bar the local/national sites.

Fontaines (and by default Murder Capital and others) are getting a deserved uplift from the likes of NME, Stereogum, Pitchfork, etc that should hopefully keep them going for a while longer.

Yeah, I believe the three mentioned will get a good run. As will many singer-songwriters or smaller outfits. But it's hard to see how many bands can make it pay, particularly if based in Dublin. Having parents with deep pockets who can accommodate you would definitely help.

Let's hope the Irish music scene doesn't go the way of the English one where there's a surfeit of privately-educated artists as they're often the only ones who can afford to sustain a career for several years. RIP Otherkin & Le Galaxie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Yeah a real shame with Otherkin also. It must be extremely difficult to make a living. Might be ok short term.
    Unless you constantly get opportunities to support tour with a larger band thats pretty global, there isnt a whole pile outside of this, tour of Ireland once maybe twice a year but you'd be laughed out of the mortgage dept. Of any bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Yeah a real shame with Otherkin also. It must be extremely difficult to make a living. Might be ok short term.
    Unless you constantly get opportunities to support tour with a larger band thats pretty global, there isnt a whole pile outside of this, tour of Ireland once maybe twice a year but you'd be laughed out of the mortgage dept. Of any bank.

It goes beyond Ireland, too, and beyond small acts.

You just have to take a look at the number of bands who tour every single summer. With album sales null and void as a source of income now, it's all merchandise and live fees so it's no surprise to see plenty of bands at it.

Sure even Ships, Choice Prize Winners, and We Cut Corners were holding down second jobs as teachers (or something) weren't they?

I think it's an option when you're young to dive in and tour a lot but when you hit your late 20s or your 30s, it's a lot harder to continue. And even if some of the band wants to, others might not and then it becomes harder to sustain it too.

But, since its Christmas, let's try and end on a sign of some good cheer: I'm struggling to remember a time when Irish music was so diverse and interesting, when bands were topping charts and being heralded as great influences.

And while I've no love for Dermot Kennedy or Hozier, etc, it's pretty good to be able to gloss past them to Girl Band, Fontaines, the Murder Capital, Daithi, God knows, Jape, Majia Sofia and others to see the breadth of talent in the country. It makes Irish festivals a more attractive option than overseas too - some of my favourite ever shows have been half empty tents at 3pm at EP from some emerging Irish act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Happy Christmas all. I look forward to tears and gnashing of teeth as headliners are revealed and crap weather forecast before another great experience at EP including meeting you lovely folk. Here's ro a great 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’ve asked Santa for Robyn this year....but I haven't been remotely good all year so she’s looking doubtful for ep20

Looking forward to the thread in full swing when we get the announcement about the announcement about the announcement!!!

Wishing ye all a safe healthy and lovely Christmas

To add to the Xmas cheer I forecast Picture This to be one of the headliners. The only silver lining being that the other two headliners will be an improvement.

Have a great xmas y'all and looking forward to the discussions throughout 2020.

It goes beyond Ireland, too, and beyond small acts.

You just have to take a look at the number of bands who tour every single summer. With album sales null and void as a source of income now, it's all merchandise and live fees so it's no surprise to see plenty of bands at it.

Sure even Ships, Choice Prize Winners, and We Cut Corners were holding down second jobs as teachers (or something) weren't they?

I think it's an option when you're young to dive in and tour a lot but when you hit your late 20s or your 30s, it's a lot harder to continue. And even if some of the band wants to, others might not and then it becomes harder to sustain it too.

But, since its Christmas, let's try and end on a sign of some good cheer: I'm struggling to remember a time when Irish music was so diverse and interesting, when bands were topping charts and being heralded as great influences.

And while I've no love for Dermot Kennedy or Hozier, etc, it's pretty good to be able to gloss past them to Girl Band, Fontaines, the Murder Capital, Daithi, God knows, Jape, Majia Sofia and others to see the breadth of talent in the country. It makes Irish festivals a more attractive option than overseas too - some of my favourite ever shows have been half empty tents at 3pm at EP from some emerging Irish act.

Hadn't realised she was making a name for herself. Caught her during the Summer supporting Brigid Mae Power in the Black Gate, Galway (capacity 60). Impressive progress in those six months.

And I fully agree with you, there are impressive Irish acts across all genres of music. It's not been this varied, eclectic and accomplished since the 1980s. Long may it continue.

Merry Xmas festival revellers, two tone rude boys, punks, geeks, electro heads, hippies, yippees, new romantics, proggies, space rockers infinite, night owls and the like, I hope you all have a fantastic day. :)

Electric Picnic, Electric Picnic, Electric Picnic where the hell is the conversation, Fcuk Slipknot, U2 and Guns N Roses. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Electric Picnic, Electric Picnic, Electric Picnic where the hell is the conversation, Fcuk Slipknot, U2 and Guns N Roses. :)

People get a week off for Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cjdennis29

Any word on an announcement date? Usually between mid-Feb and mid-March

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

cjdennis29 wrote: »
    Any word on an announcement date? Usually between mid-Feb and mid-March

Last few years are always mid March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Hoping for some serious Bicep action 💪💪

This discussion has been closed.