Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Ah, I like 'em. I was at their 25th in the Iveagh Gardens and it was great. I know Glen grinds people's gears a bit but they have so many brilliant songs. Impossible to separate the Glen from the song, I guess that's why they're a bit marmite on these shores. I think they've a back catalogue to match any Irish band.

You know what grinds my gears?

People underestimating how much Glen grinds people's gears.

Edit: Am not a fan of the man but anytime I saw The Frames, they were excellent.

I am liking the way B&S are liking some tweets about them not being at EP anymore ...

This one in particular:

Body&Soul liked:
    "And with that dies everything left about Electric Picnic that hadn't already become hell on earth"

I am guessing no love lost then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I am liking the way B&S are liking some tweets about them not being at EP anymore ...

This one in particular:

Body&Soul liked:
    "And with that dies everything left about Electric Picnic that hadn't already become hell on earth"

I am guessing no love lost then.

Could you link me to that twitter thread. :) I'm sure the new capacity news and that King Kong Company incident last year were deciding factors for B&S leaving.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Could you link me to that twitter thread. :) I'm sure the new capacity news and that King Kong Company incident last year were deciding factors for B&S leaving.

I'm not sure Niall. It just turned up in my timeline .. can't spot it now ...

I'm not sure Niall. It just turned up in my timeline .. can't spot it now ...

Is it the actual Body&Soul one or the Electric Picnic one, I currently on the B&S one scouring the tweets with replies section.

• Advertisement

Is it the actual Body&Soul one or the Electric Picnic one, I currently on the B&S one scouring the tweets with replies section.

It wasnt a reply just a like. I should have linked it at the time. Sorry.

Edit: here it is: https://twitter.com/aideenblackwood/status/1203992282095144960

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The third comment under that tweet stinks a little of somebody trying very hard.
    The festivals that they go to must so bloody 'mazing like, wow. (Too cool to speak like that or care)
    https://twitter.com/mizzpennydreadf/status/1204014772011843584

Reality is, they're getting older, EP is getting bigger.
    "I’m curious how it could have gotten any worse then it had been for years!?"
    Really? It couldn't get worse? rolleyes3.gif
    God love them having to struggle through all the previous EP's that they must have been dragged to, or somehow forced to go to that allowed them to see that EP has been so bad for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Been a while since i have been on so plenty of catching up. Re the changes while they worry me a bit so did last years but still had a brilliant estival so they are getting the benefit of the doubt. Delighted to see Jerry being moved from the noise hell hole where he is and fishtown could be great.
    Will be interesting to see what if any effect increase has on line up and if there will be new stages meaning more music.

Defo going to the Frames hey put on great shows with their back catalogue and think kilmainham a good venue for them.

Saw far white family last week. Would be very welcome in Stradbally

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Mucker46 wrote: »
    Been a while since i have been on so plenty of catching up. Re the changes while they worry me a bit so did last years but still had a brilliant estival so they are getting the benefit of the doubt. Delighted to see Jerry being moved from the noise hell hole where he is and fishtown could be great.
    Will be interesting to see what if any effect increase has on line up and if there will be new stages meaning more music.

Defo going to the Frames hey put on great shows with their back catalogue and think kilmainham a good venue for them.

Saw far white family last week. Would be very welcome in Stradbally

A mash up of Jerry fish and the Three made by music ( Other voices area) would be ideal. similar indieish and irish bands tended to play both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rubick

Loving the description of going to a music festival for a couple of days as HELL ON EARTH!
    I feel certain the 9th Layer of Hell is filled with screens dishing out Hot Takes just like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Suckit wrote: »
    God love them having to struggle through all the previous EP's that they must have been dragged to, or somehow forced to go to that allowed them to see that EP has been so bad for years.

These guys should follow this thread as they obviously have not had the pleasure of following the boards.ie/Gigs&Events/Electric Picnic 20XX threads over the last few years. They know not the pleasure of being introduced to a little known band who turn out to be massive. They have not experienced the emotional rollercoaster of hoping that Radiohead, the Kinks and Depeche Mode will be playing this year only to find out it is someone far more relevant and current. They have received no advice on which colour of absynthe to drink during which particular EDM show. They have no useful tips about what to bring, where to find the hidden gems nor which car park works the best for which camp site. Crucially, they think kicking teenagers while listening to these Charming Men is a crime committed in front of a group of local politicians.

I think the tone here is right - sad for B&S as a company, believe it will take away from the wonder of the festival, but at the same time, maybe they will come up with something equally interesting and, like a shark, they must constantly be moving forward to survive.

The hyperbole about this being the end of an era, or the rather ungracious post by King Kong Company on Facebook that, basically, they knew B&S were going to be finishing and were thinking of not doing EP 2020, but are now certain that they won't, doesn't really reflect the reality of the fact that festivals are businesses that provide entertainment to people, and in a competitive market nothing is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Pink moon website crashed and burned very quickly, luckily we had got on a few minutes before 10 and sorted out spot out, going to be a lot of people smashing desks about now.

The hyperbole about this being the end of an era, or the rather ungracious post by King Kong Company on Facebook that, basically, they knew B&S were going to be finishing and were thinking of not doing EP 2020, but are now certain that they won't, doesn't really reflect the reality of the fact that festivals are businesses that provide entertainment to people, and in a competitive market nothing is perfect.

I think a lot of people think of B&S as an integral part of their EP experience for many years and are simply sad that it has come to an end. They don't really think "well, it's a business and things change". I am in that bucket, and being the cynic that I am, I just can't see the new area quite living up to it. I hope I am wrong. It has happened once or twice ;-)

Having said that, it would be hard to keep a straight face and say that B&S hadn't got a little stale in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Never really spent a lot of time in B&S so I'm not bothered that they as a brand are pulling out, the Amphitheatre will still be there, the experience tents will still be there and we might see some new installations. Certainly not a game charger for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I think a lot of people think of B&S as an integral part of their EP experience for many years and are simply sad that it has come to an end. They don't really think "well, it's a business and things change". I am in that bucket, and being the cynic that I am, I just can't see the new area quite living up to it. I hope I am wrong. It has happened once or twice ;-)

Having said that, it would be hard to keep a straight face and say that B&S hadn't got a little stale in the last few years.

I think promoters can be beween a rock and a hard place with these things tbf. If you don't change the site, it can go stale/be too familiar (I missed 2/3 festivals at one stage and the only obvious change I saw when I returned was the extra promo/marketing stands and the Trailer Park, Hazel Wood which I didn't spend much time at) but if you change things, people lament what is lost.

Body & Soul going is a shame because it was such a key part of the festival but that's not to say what is there in 2020 won't be a great festival with quirky offerings, etc like it has always had.

What I will say is that I don't like the sound of 70k crowd - but that's just me. Some people absolutely love huge outdoor festivals and gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭showpony1

Forgot about Pink Moon going on sale - there were loads of people selling them on last year so hopefully same this year.
    How much were the 2 man tents going for?
    i saw the 2 man tipis were €345 - it was €275 in 2017, €320 in 2018 i wonder at what point they stop that increase.

I will have to get sorted staying there anyway - I'd a friend who said they would just camp outside glamping in Hendrix in Joplin etc
    and ended up with knackers beside them for the whole weekend who were robbing the whole weekend. Can't be dealing with that hassle after 5 years in PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

showpony1 wrote: »
    Forgot about Pink Moon going on sale - there were loads of people selling them on last year so hopefully same this year.
    How much were the 2 man tents going for?
    i saw the 2 man tipis were €345 - it was €275 in 2017, €320 in 2018 i wonder at what point they stop that increase.

I will have to get sorted staying there anyway - I'd a friend who said they would just camp outside glamping in Hendrix in Joplin etc
    and ended up with knackers beside them for the whole weekend who were robbing the whole weekend. Can't be dealing with that hassle after 5 years in PM.

the site crashed and they pulled the sale, i just about got mine
    so they will go up again in a day or two, 2 mans were 265, they are gone, the 345 tipis will go back on sale as far as i can see,
    they will be around for sale as well later in the years and no issue buying off someone else, all they do is take the booking ref, they dont care what the name is,

they can do what they want regarding prices, they are a dead cert sell out
    especially this year as the site is the same size but there the extras punters

i hear you about staying there, if i couldnt get it i jsut wouldnt go,
    im old and cant be doing with the carnage of the public sites,
    I know there are quieter areas but they are so far away
    the convenience of the arena entrance is priceless with PM

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Re Pink Moon. The price is madness and has gone up year on year. Its main selling point at this stage is that it's not a dump, and i suppose the main arena entrance too. We got sh1tty neighbors last year in PM so we made the call to just drive over and back each day as we live around 30 minutes away.

I don't know how much a 4 man tipi costs but we've prob saved the guts of 600 quid. It'll mean a day off the booze for 3 of us but i'm not too bothered about that in the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Suckit wrote: »
    The third comment under that tweet stinks a little of somebody trying very hard.
    The festivals that they go to must so bloody 'mazing like, wow. (Too cool to speak like that or care)
    https://twitter.com/mizzpennydreadf/status/1204014772011843584

It's the same nonsense that Glastonbury gets from online warriors every year. I've been going to Glasto on and off since 1986 and it's improved enormously. Better toilets, better food, better music choice, more stages, more areas, better security, better organisation, superior crown management, etc, etc.

They've learned and improved as they've gone along. As have EP. and that's why both sell out without any announcement of acts. Because they're that good.

Re Pink Moon. The price is madness and has gone up year on year. Its main selling point at this stage is that it's not a dump, and i suppose the main arena entrance too. We got sh1tty neighbors last year in PM so we made the call to just drive over and back each day as we live around 30 minutes away.

I don't know how much a 4 man tipi costs but we've prob saved the guts of 600 quid. It'll mean a day off the booze for 3 of us but i'm not too bothered about that in the greater scheme of things.

for shame, call yourself an Irishman?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

We got sorted for PM next year so its nice to have it everything sorted, after doing PM for the first time in 2018(skipped this year) there is no way i can go back to normal camping:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

for shame, call yourself an Irishman?! :D

I've gone since 2010 and it's been my summer blowout each year.
    Last year was the 1st time i took it easy booze wise (on 2 of the 3 days) and It didn't affect my enjoyment.
    The one thing i will miss about staying on site, is tipping about the place on my own late at night at B&S and all the late night stages, as we'll have to meet up at 1ish to head home i'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭desk tidy

Pixies have released tour dates, with some nice EP and ATN shaped gaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

desk tidy wrote: »
    Pixies have released tour dates, with some nice EP and ATN shaped gaps

They're already doing three Irish gigs next summer - two Galway and one Dublin. Would they come back?

Previously when they've played summer shows here, they've not done the festivals after.

curious, what do you mean by incident?
    i assume you are referring to the security stopping people coming in?
    in my eyes they had to, i was in the thick of the crowd and it was getting dangerous

cheers

curious, what do you mean by incident?
    i assume you are referring to the security stopping people coming in?
    in my eyes they had to, i was in the thick of the crowd and it was getting dangerous

cheers

That's what I mean though it was dangerously crowded, add 15,000 more and its like wow ho! That's why I think B&S have pulled out, well one of the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That's what I mean though it was dangerously crowded, add 15,000 more and its like wow ho! That's why I think B&S have pulled out, well one of the reasons.

I think that's definitely part of it. But EP can't take the blame for B&S scheduling an enormously popular act at a time when there's little else on. They've had great acts for that slot before (Young Fathers, Perfume Genius, Tune-Yards, Matthew E White, etc) but none with that were ever going to attract the crowd that KKC would. They're no longer the band that could play to a few hundred people at the Salty Dog.

These guys should follow this thread as they obviously have not had the pleasure of following the boards.ie/Gigs&Events/Electric Picnic 20XX threads over the last few years. They know not the pleasure of being introduced to a little known band who turn out to be massive. They have not experienced the emotional rollercoaster of hoping that Radiohead, the Kinks and Depeche Mode will be playing this year only to find out it is someone far more relevant and current. They have received no advice on which colour of absynthe to drink during which particular EDM show. They have no useful tips about what to bring, where to find the hidden gems nor which car park works the best for which camp site. Crucially, they think kicking teenagers while listening to these Charming Men is a crime committed in front of a group of local politicians.

I think the tone here is right - sad for B&S as a company, believe it will take away from the wonder of the festival, but at the same time, maybe they will come up with something equally interesting and, like a shark, they must constantly be moving forward to survive.

If King Kong Company got offered a decent slot on the main stage at EP 2020 , I think they would be quickly eating their words.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If King Kong Company got offered a decent slot on the main stage at EP 2020 , I think they would be quickly eating their words.

I agree. It was more the sort of way it seemed like they had to choose a side between body and soul or EP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yep. It's all getting very competitive. You appear to have to be in a camp. God forbid you like BOTH EP and ATN, or whatever. I blame the internet. Obviously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement