Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Yep. It's all getting very competitive. You appear to have to be in a camp. God forbid you like BOTH EP and ATN, or whatever. I blame the internet. Obviously.

You can't like TWO things. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Stillill42

A House brilliant tonight. Get on to it it, Jerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Stillill42 wrote: »
    A House brilliant tonight. Get on to it it, Jerry.

Had tickets but couldn't make it in the end. Would love to see them at ep.
    Guns and roses announced for marlay park next summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭endainoz

Mucker46 wrote: »

Jeez how many more gigs are they going to fit into the month of June?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Mucker46

endainoz wrote: »
    Jeez how many more gigs are they going to fit into the month of June?!

I know have a clash with GnR already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Mucker46 wrote: »

Glastonbury weekend. Are they joining Aerosmith there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rubick

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Glastonbury weekend. Are they joining Aerosmith there?

Would Glastonbury have the budget for Aerosmith *and* Guns 'n Roses?

:p

rubick wrote: »
    Would Glastonbury have the budget for Aerosmith *and* Guns 'n Roses?

:p

Promoters take the slots because of the knock-on album and concert ticket sales. Glasto broke Damien Rice and turned Robbie Williams into a major star. It has given Lionel Ritchie and others a new lease of life in the UK.

Most acts are happy to take a greatly reduced payment for that reason. They're also aware that it's a not-for-profit festival and, apart from Fleetwood Mac, willing to give it a try.

They already have Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Diana Ross, Thom Yorke, Supergrass and Aerosmith. Not a huge leap to add GnR to that. Though the Eavises could be a tad worried about time slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Carol25

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Promoters take the slots because of the knock-on album and concert ticket sales. Glasto broke Damien Rice and turned Robbie Williams into a major star. It has given Lionel Ritchie and others a new lease of life in the UK.

Most acts are happy to take a greatly reduced payment for that reason. They're also aware that it's a not-for-profit festival and, apart from Fleetwood Mac, willing to give it a try.

They already have Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar, Diana Ross, Thom Yorke, Supergrass and Aerosmith. Not a huge leap to add GnR to that. Though the Eavises could be a tad worried about time slots.

Thought Taylor Swift was just playing Hyde Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

You can't like TWO things. Everyone knows that.

Am I allowed post on the thread if I like BnS, EP & ATN all at the same time ???!!!&&*^%$)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Assuming that I am still allowed to post, GnR & A House would be great bookings for EP2020.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m way more excited by buying my drink for ep than I am for Xmas....is it just me?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Rfrip wrote: »
    I’m way more excited by buying my drink for ep than I am for Xmas....is it just me?!!

Exactly what I was thinking got my tickets Thur and was buying x-mas booze last night, no capri-suns with the twist lid in my trolley ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Taylor swift closing the pyramid stage at glasto 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe its Bjorks turn to play the Picnic again seeing that she played at a standalone in Dublin this year, she normally plays the Picnic in six or seven year cycles. Came across this Facebook video of her when she was eleven years old, amazing stuff, she was almost a Sugarcube back then. :)

https://www.facebook.com/decadeclub77/videos/444358093173398/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Would be some operation to have that Cornucopia show in a festival setting.
    I'd obviously love to see it, but somehow I doubt it will happen.
    Not sure she's even adding further dates, last show was in Stockholm 8th December.

x2 40' bass canons over the crowd in the 3 Arena. How do you get those working in Stradbally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Would be some operation to have that Cornucopia show in a festival setting.
    I'd obviously love to see it, but somehow I doubt it will happen.
    Not sure she's even adding further dates, last show was in Stockholm 8th December.

x2 40' bass canons over the crowd in the 3 Arena. How do you get those working in Stradbally?

She did a great show at Primavera a few years ago - really creative visuals, massive band with a range of instruments, etc - and it wasn't anywhere near as elaborate as the 3Arena show sounded based on the reviews (I wasn't at the Dublin show so open to correction!)

She'd be an excellent headliner for sure but Bjork isn't a typical act who does festivals, then arenas, then breaks, records and repeats so you never really know what she's going to do.

I love seeing her on top of a bill. She occupies a weird space like Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds where they're an enormous deal for half the crowd, and the rest are like "who the fuuuuuc...? oooh Red Right Hand!" It's good fun.

I guess her Biophilia show at EP translated fairly well; a large part of the Cornucopia experience was the curtain at the front of the stage comprising thin strips (of what I have no idea) that had visuals projected on it which combined with the main screen at the back of the stage provided 3D effects - it would likely blow about in any sort of breeze on the Main Stage. Bjork's outfits got caught up in it a few times even inside! Suppose you could combat this with a set in the Electric Arena.

I guess her Biophilia show at EP translated fairly well; a large part of the Cornucopia experience was the curtain at the front of the stage comprising thin strips (of what I have no idea) that had visuals projected on it which combined with the main screen at the back of the stage provided 3D effects - it would likely blow about in any sort of breeze on the Main Stage. Bjork's outfits got caught up in it a few times even inside! Suppose you could combat this with a set in the Electric Arena.

The Biophilia show was pretty mainstream for her. All very entertaining but I missed the second half as John Grant on with Sinead O'Connor in Rankins Wood. Previous Bjork set at EP 2007 was better I thought.

To be honest I adore her but the setlists over the past two decades don't do it for me. Am more of a Sugarcubes fan. Now what a set that would be!

With her last three albums, she has tended to have specific aspects of instrumentation that she has focussed on - with Biophilia it was choral (arguably stemming from Medulla which was largely choral-centric), then straight into her 'breakup' album Vulnicura, which was focussed upon string arrangements. Utopia and the associated tour has been largely wind instruments. Listening back to Utopia after the 3 Arena show it really is a belter album. She's stated that the next album is well underway, and she's again partnered with Arca - it'll have more of the electronic elements we 'traditionally' associate with Bjork.

I agree Seath, recent tours haven't permitted much of a deep dive into her back catalogue; for Cornucopia we got 'Venus As A Boy' with a solo flautist, 'Isobel' with a choral arrangement and 'Pagan Poetry' with bass canons and circular four-person flute (still reeling from this!) - perhaps the new album/tour will bring back some of her other hits played in a 'traditional' manner. Don't think I'll ever forget 'Declare Independence' in 2014! We were right at the front too :)

• Advertisement

With her last three albums, she has tended to have specific aspects of instrumentation that she has focussed on - with Biophilia it was choral (arguably stemming from Medulla which was largely choral-centric), then straight into her 'breakup' album Vulnicura, which was focussed upon string arrangements. Utopia and the associated tour has been largely wind instruments. Listening back to Utopia after the 3 Arena show it really is a belter album. She's stated that the next album is well underway, and she's again partnered with Arca - it'll have more of the electronic elements we 'traditionally' associate with Bjork.

I agree Seath, recent tours haven't permitted much of a deep dive into her back catalogue; for Cornucopia we got 'Venus As A Boy' with a solo flautist, 'Isobel' with a choral arrangement and 'Pagan Poetry' with bass canons and circular four-person flute (still reeling from this!) - perhaps the new album/tour will bring back some of her other hits played in a 'traditional' manner. Don't think I'll ever forget 'Declare Independence' in 2014! We were right at the front too :)

You new to her music Rubick?

I bloody love the Bjork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Maybe its Bjorks turn to play the Picnic again seeing that she played at a standalone in Dublin this year, she normally plays the Picnic in six or seven year cycles. Came across this Facebook video of her when she was eleven years old, amazing stuff, she was almost a Sugarcube back then. :)

https://www.facebook.com/decadeclub77/videos/444358093173398/

She doesn't really fit with the new Main Stage target demogrphic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

She be awesome in the b&s peace pagoda

Ticketmaster keeping up the annual tradition of making a complete balls-up of EP tickets, according to various sources on the Banter Page. Some people have received two copies, some three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yep, a buddy of mine has received 3 sets (all with the same codes etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't know about that, yes there is some commercial pish that's permeated into the lineup but EP still has a core of old EP goers and Benn still has remember to keep some of the lineup classy eg, Portishead, Beck, Bjork, The Knife, David Byrne/St Vincent, Massive Attack, Leftfield and its ilk.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Main stage this year had David Keenan, The Strokes, Richard Ashcroft and Christine & The Queens. Only eighteen acts played that stage all weekend.

2018 had Kendrick Lamar, NERD, Massive Attack, Ash, Gomez, Chvrches, Mavis Staples, The Prodigy, Chic, Inner Circle and Garbage.

Mainly more commercial stuff but there are always a few goodies to catch. And there always will be.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yep, a buddy of mine has received 3 sets (all with the same codes etc).

Yea I received another copy in the post today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Wonder will they announce a headliner before march this year

Can you believe we are gonna be talking about the announcement before the announcement before the announcment soon again :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement