Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards this being innocent but the problem when someone has a history of lying and cheating it makes people question when you're telling the truth. It is made even worse when the story you're now telling is the same as the lie you told in past

https://twitter.com/johnbreech/status/1204146996430417923

The lieing is from ESPN. John Breech is referencing a 2015 article that quotes a debunked 2008 article where the source is Matty Walsh who admitted he made it up that the Patriots were filming the Rams walk through and ESPN apologied for in a 4am broadcast. Doesnt matter if a lie has been proven false if people like Foxtrol want to believe it, they will.

Also defensive coordinators no longer give hand signals on the sideline for plays since defenses have headsets now, they only give hand signals for positional groupings and those hand signals are often visible on national broadcasts and are not disguised. So the Pats had nothing to gain from filming the Bengals sideline. Its so stupid that this has to be explained but it doesn't matter people will believe what they want to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

BoldReason wrote: »
    The Pats offense could do with all the help it could get :D
    I’m not very confident going to Cinci. Yes the Pats are expected to win, but it’s on the D and ST to give us the edge. It’s Brady and Edelman, with maybe a little White. But the rest are very stoppable. And with a leaky OL, there isn’t the time to get things going. It’ll be a grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Hazys wrote: »
    The lieing is from ESPN. John Breech is referencing a 2015 article that quotes a debunked 2008 article where the source is Matty Walsh who admitted he made it up that the Patriots were filming the Rams walk through and ESPN apologied for in a 4am broadcast. Doesnt matter if a lie has been proven false if people like Foxtrol want to believe it, they will.

I know about the Rams walk through part, which is why I haven't mentioned it at all. Can you share the link to that where the other parts were debunked or the ESPN apology that covers what John Breech quoted? I'm more than happy to admit that I'm wrong when I'm shown evidence, as I have many times here.
    Also defensive coordinators no longer give hand signals on the sideline for plays since defenses have headsets now, they only give hand signals for positional groupings and those hand signals are often visible on national broadcasts and are not disguised. So the Pats had nothing to gain from filming the Bengals sideline. Its so stupid that this has to be explained but it doesn't matter people will believe what they want to believe.

I've repeatedly said I think this is likely innocent, even in the post you just quoted. I'm not sure who you're having that argument with.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Please don’t quote Foxtroll, I have him hidden for a reason. One of those creepy ones that has an axe to grind and won’t let it go.

How do you hide someone? Asking for a friend....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Earleybird wrote: »
    How do you hide someone? Asking for a friend....
    In the desktop view, click on their username and add to Ignore List.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Peters is a Grade A tosser though

Should have put a zero at the end of that fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

14,000 for a beer? Jesus I thought the prices were high in Soldier Field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Doesn't really look good from the video footage here.
    More dodgy carry on but are we really to expect more I guess?

https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/1206265478596816896?s=19

An edited video leaked by the team aggressively trying to get the Patriots punished even though the video doesn't add any more real info to what we know already but obviously because there is a video (of a video) somehow it makes the matter worse. Well done NFL keeping the issue in house, clowns

• Advertisement

Doesn't really look good from the video footage here.
    More dodgy carry on but are we really to expect more I guess?

https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/1206265478596816896?s=19

"I can delete it" :rolleyes:

Video doesn't add anything new but confirms some rumours and disproves others.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    "I can delete it" :rolleyes:

Video doesn't add anything new but confirms some rumours and disproves others.

That wasn't a rumor, we knew that, it was very widely reported that the Pats cameraman offered to delete the footage instantly.

That wasn't a rumor, we knew that, it was very widely reported that the Pats cameraman offered to delete the footage instantly.

Widely reported based on unnamed sources.

For a fanbase that so regularly complains about misreporting and the use of unnamed sources, that are claimed to be untruthful about their team, surely some transparency by seeing the tape and the interactions around it should be helpful. We're at least partially dealing with the same facts now, unless there's claims that this tape is doctored.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Its like my son offering to put the cookie back in the jar because i caught him putting it to his mouth before dinner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Since we're dealing in facts now, is anybody going to mention that it's now come out that this is the only game that the Patriots got accreditation for filming?

So if their new scheme was to film sidelines with the cover story of it being for a documentary, they chose to do so not for Houston, Baltimore or Kansas City, but for the 1 win Cincinnati Bengals.

Or is that disregarded as it doesn't fit the narrative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That’s been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

That’s been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

That they only received accreditation from the Bengals? Where was it mentioned then? Because that information only became public 9 hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That they only received accreditation from the Bengals? Where was it mentioned then? Because that information only became public 9 hours ago.

No, that they filming the 1 win Bengals.

Asks us if anyone is going to mention something because it doesn't fit the narrative then proceeds to tell us that information was only made available 9 hours ago. :rolleyes:

Asks us if anyone is going to mention something because it doesn't fit the narrative then proceeds to tell us that information was only made available 9 hours ago. :rolleyes:

Oh so you would have posted it then?

• Advertisement

Oh so you would have posted it then?

I haven't read any news this morning as of yet mate.
    I have no idea what I would have done so no point in anyone assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

At this stage yee should open a separate thread on the video-recording scandal.

Back to other things NFL.....how about those Raiders (losing their last home game in Oakland in the last minute of the 4th 1/4 with an inept, non-scoring 2nd half performance :'/ ). Not easy being loyal but those fans deserved better

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

no.8 wrote: »
    Back to other things NFL.....how about those Raiders (losing their last home game in Oakland in the last minute of the 4th 1/4 with an inept, non-scoring 2nd half performance :'/ ). Not easy being loyal but those fans deserved better

TBF, incompetent refereeing played a large part in that loss, by stopping the clock before the 2 minute warning, when Carr clearly slid inbounds which the refs somehow failed to see. Gave the Jags an extra 40 seonds to play with, which they needed to win the game.

In case I get tagged with being anti patriots which I certainly am not. I just do not like dodgy ****.

This is class from TB12. Nice touch.

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1206573485755121664?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Since we're dealing in facts now, is anybody going to mention that it's now come out that this is the only game that the Patriots got accreditation for filming?

So if their new scheme was to film sidelines with the cover story of it being for a documentary, they chose to do so not for Houston, Baltimore or Kansas City, but for the 1 win Cincinnati Bengals.

Or is that disregarded as it doesn't fit the narrative?

It was because they were filming a specific segment on the Advanced Scout, who was in Cincinnati that week. Such an inane "scandal", which again is an attempt to distract from the utterly unprofessional carry on by the refs last week and all season long.

It was because they were filming a specific segment on the Advanced Scout, who was in Cincinnati that week. Such an inane "scandal", which again is an attempt to distract from the utterly unprofessional carry on by the refs last week and all season long.

I think people are smart enough to simultaneously deal with the utterly unprofessional carry on of again being caught and admitting to breaking rules regarding taping other teams and the utterly unprofessional performance of refs.

The investigation will likely find no large conspiracy so a fine and potential loss of a low draft pick (though maybe a bit higher due to previous history).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Did the Pats break the rules? If so they should be punished. Whether or not they were trying to get an advantage seems besides the point. You can't break the rules even if it wouldn't give you an advantage. If there was a conspiracy the punishment should of course be greater but that seems unlikely so I agree with the fine/low draft pick.

Last week was by no means the worst performance front he refs. The Pats are by no means the worst hit. However simply firing the current ones and hiring new ones seems unlikely to solve it so it I reckon it will take some serious work to get this right.

Still find it utterly bizzare actually about the Cowboys defering situation. I never heard of that rule before. Gladly sense prevailed.
    Only in the nfl could you get punished for not saying the right word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Please tell me they didn't give the cowboys the ball in the second half?

• Advertisement

Masked Man wrote: »
    Please tell me they didn't give the cowboys the ball in the second half?

Yep they did. It's a stupid rule honestly.

Advertisement