Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Insert "i don't believe you" gif here

JoyfulAngryBronco-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As bad as all as Garrett's Shenanigans are; am i the only one who's annoyed at the lack of punishment for pouncey?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

As bad as all as Garrett's Shenanigans are; am i the only one who's annoyed at the lack of punishment for pouncey?

I feel the same. Shocked it got reduced. I know the NFL is inconsistent with penalties but is that going to be the level for kicking and punching a restrained player in the head?

As someone said about Garrett's response if there were racial comments from Rudolph, whatever the other person did doesn't excuse your reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The Rudolf situation is gas.

After the game: Garrett's a coward
    A few days later when the Steelers PR team have gotten to him: Privilege to play in the NFL, honour to represent the Rooney family, no ill will to Myles Garrett.

It's laughable that they think anyone believes he wrote one word of that statement.

Seriously!!

What would you advise him to say? Course he didn’t write it, nor would I think any journalist with half a brain. The lad was battered across the head with his helmet after being out for two weeks with concussion!!

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I feel the same. Shocked it got reduced. I know the NFL is inconsistent with penalties but is that going to be the level for kicking and punching a restrained player in the head?

As someone said about Garrett's response if there were racial comments from Rudolph, whatever the other person did doesn't excuse your reaction.

Agree totally, Pouncey regardless of his intentions should not have done what he did nor should his suspension have been reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He got his suspension of three games reduced to one. I don't agree with him doing what he did and he had to face some form of punishment but I do think it's important to look at his actions in the context of what he'd seen prior to doing what he did. He had just seen his QB whacked over the head with his helmet. In a perfect world you'd hope no player in any NFL team would do what he did but you'd also hope that no player would do what myles Garrett(and thankfully it's not a regular occurrence) did on an American football field.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He got his suspension of three games reduced to one. I don't agree with him doing what he did and he had to face some form of punishment but I do think it's important to look at his actions in the context of what he'd seen prior to doing what he did. He had just seen his QB whacked over the head with his helmet. In a perfect world you'd hope no player in any NFL team would do what he did but you'd also hope that no player would do what myles Garrett(and thankfully it's not a regular occurrence) did on an American football field.

What Pouncey done was thuggish, you don’t kick or punch any defenseless man on the ground which Garrett was regardless of what he done. FYI I’m a Steelers fan. Pouncey was 100% wrong

But that mentality throws the whole game into disrepute. You can't have a contact sport where you reduce sanctions for vigilantism, that would also be assault if it occurred on the street, because of 'context' (which sounds very much like another way to say sure the other guy deserved it).

I would accept mitigation if his actions werein the process of subduing Garrett or it was to get Garrett off of Rudolph, but Garrett was being pinned on the ground by a 300lbs plus man when Pouncey was throwing those cheap shots.

Have they released the rationale for their decisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

You need players to walk away at times. This is one of them. Garrett was restrained and no more threat to Rudolph. His actions are revenge for his QB and nothing to do with protecting his QB (indeed had he just taken Rudolph away he would have protected him from another cheap shot but no he had to get his own cheap shot in).

I understand his actions but he should not have his ban reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

OOnegative wrote: »
    Seriously!!

What would you advise him to say? Course he didn’t write it, nor would I think any journalist with half a brain. The lad was battered across the head with his helmet after being out for two weeks with concussion!!

Why bother going through the charade of releasing a statement that no one believes is true? It’s just a waste of everyone’s time. Say nothing and move on. Or at least make the statement semi-believable.

• Advertisement

Why bother going through the charade of releasing a statement that no one believes is true? It’s just a waste of everyone’s time. Say nothing and move on. Or at least make the statement semi-believable.

Because it’s what the Yanks do?l We’re getting well accustomed to it here to. Garrett could have made his statement/argument semi believable to by accusing Rudolph straight away, rather than doing it nearly two weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The canter will always go to town for the qb, more so than the rest. Pouncy did his job. Let's see how quickly someone tries something that dirty vs his qb again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

The canter will always go to town for the qb, more so than the rest. Pouncy did his job. Let's see how quickly someone tries something that dirty vs his qb again

Didn't Mason get hit again while Pouncy was kicking Garrett I'm the head? Not sure that's a win for protecting the qb

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What Pouncey done was thuggish, you don’t kick or punch any defenseless man on the ground which Garrett was regardless of what he done. FYI I’m a Steelers fan. Pouncey was 100% wrong

Where in my post do I say that what he did was right and should be excepted ? I didn't. I don't anyone here is condoning what pouncey did. There was a lot of players who shouldn't be proud of what they did in a moment when the game was done, it wasn't as if the steelers had a chance to win the game.

It seems I'm in the minority on the length of his suspension but in the unanimous majority in stating that what he did was wrong and it wasn't a great moment for American football.

We all have different teams and have different views on players and most things and that's a god thing. But we can disagree respectfully hopefully.

Where in my post do I say that what he did was right and should be excepted ? I didn't. I don't anyone here is condoning what pouncey did. There was a lot of players who shouldn't be proud of what they did in a moment when the game was done, it wasn't as if the steelers had a chance to win the game.

It seems I'm in the minority on the length of his suspension but in the unanimous majority in stating that what he did was wrong and it wasn't a great moment for American football.

We all have different teams and have different views on players and most things and that's a god thing. But we can disagree respectfully hopefully.

Yeah, calm down, I wasn’t arguing with you in anyway!! His 3 game suspension should have been upheld but it wasn’t and that doesn’t surprise me to be honest.

Bring back Pete Godell!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Christy42 wrote: »
    Didn't Mason get hit again while Pouncy was kicking Garrett I'm the head? Not sure that's a win for protecting the qb

I chuckled :D

Somehow I don't think Garrett weighed up the consequences before doing what he did. So I can't see others thinking in the heat of the moment "Oh wait, what if Pouncey gets me?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Because it’s what the Yanks do?l We’re getting well accustomed to it here to. Garrett could have made his statement/argument semi believable to by accusing Rudolph straight away, rather than doing it nearly two weeks later.

That’s why 90% of sound bites from NFL (and most sports to be honest) are useless. The Dan LeBatard radio show has a segment on Tuesdays called the ‘Useless Sound Montage’ where they compile all the cliched, rehearsed, useless words from interviews carried out in the weekend’s games.

We need more interviews like that Harlequins rugby player gave yesterday.

https://twitter.com/harlequins/status/1197182819836944384?s=21

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's three games to two, he still misses the Browns game. Pouncey/OL has done it before, perhaps not to the extent of kicking and punching, but have piled in - Eric Reid hitting Ben when he was sliding last year comes to mind and Burfict in that playoff game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75i8nAW6YCU

What did you mean then by stating 'look at his actions in the context of what he'd seen prior to doing what he did' if you weren't on some level condoning Pouncey's actions? Respectfully, I don't see how you can thread that needle.

There is no context where punching or kicking a restrained player in the head should lead to a reduced sanction, similarly there is no context where Rudolph said or did anything that should lead to Garrett getting a reduced ban. Pouncey now gets only a single game more of a ban than Ogunjobi, who only pushed Rudolph. NFL disciplinary sanctions are once again a complete joke.

I know news cycles move fast and at this point it seems like a long time ago but the hearing yesterday was actually just under a week since the event, no where close to nearly two weeks.

I'm not sure what to think about the Garrett claim. I don't really want to use him not stating it before the appeal against him, as if he did I know the portions of the media and fans would justifiably say that it was no excuse for acting the way he did and saying 'but he called me xxxx' would ruin any attempt at a sincere apology for his actions. He was in a no win situation (all of his own doing by his reaction).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I was aware all teams have somebody upstairs in the booth watching replays and advising the head coach if they should throw the red challenge flag or not

The Ravens have been super aggressive on 4th down this year and when questioned John Harbaugh always said the team work the probabilities and went with the decision with the best percentage chance. This agressive tactic has mostly paid off

Baltimore employs a 25 year old behavioural economics major graduate student to work on all this up in the booth and hey it seems to be working

I remember Andy Reid at the Eagles used to be blasted for his clock management. If putting a whiz kid graduate in the booth is the answer all teams should do it :pac:

Matt Patricia being a whiz kid (well older) can do this himself

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I know news cycles move fast and at this point it seems like a long time ago but the hearing yesterday was actually just under a week since the event, no where close to nearly two weeks.

Knit picking slightly? Ok I was wrong on my two weeks comment, if that was his reason for ripping Rudolph’s helmet off why wait for than 5/6 days to air it to the public?

I hope i’m correct, but seems like a man clutching at excuses for what he done. He’s a super player, ridiculous what he done & he’ll always be remembered for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Didn't think this needed a new thread, but the forum might be the best place to answer this. I bought tickets for Seahawks v Vikings next week from Ireland. An email told me I could only use them by Ticketmaster SafeTix, which means using their app. I can't access the app - it's "forbidden on this server." When I go to the Ticketmaster website, I get errors 401 and 403 when I try to access My Account or any of their support options. Is this because I'm still in Ireland? Is there anything I can do about this?

Knit picking slightly? Ok I was wrong on my two weeks comment, if that was his reason for ripping Rudolph’s helmet off why wait for than 5/6 days to air it to the public?

I hope i’m correct, but seems like a man clutching at excuses for what he done. He’s a super player, ridiculous what he done & he’ll always be remembered for it.

If I had corrected you on a day or two difference you might have a point but correcting someone that has over exaggerated their claim by nearly double isn't knit-picking.

Again, Garrett put himself in a no win situation. Generally we ask for players (or anyone else) to accept responsibility for their actions and apologize without caveats or blaming others for their choices and that is exactly what he did. He either acted maturely post game and went through the right channels for his complaint and it is now being thrown in his face or he made it up after the fact. Neither one is a nice thing to think about and we'll likely never get an answer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Didn't think this needed a new thread, but the forum might be the best place to answer this. I bought tickets for Seahawks v Vikings next week from Ireland. An email told me I could only use them by Ticketmaster SafeTix, which means using their app. I can't access the app - it's "forbidden on this server." When I go to the Ticketmaster website, I get errors 401 and 403 when I try to access My Account or any of their support options. Is this because I'm still in Ireland? Is there anything I can do about this?

I don’t know anything about SafeTix but if it is a geolocation issue you could try using a vpn and set to US. Most of them will have free trial periods etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I don’t know anything about SafeTix but if it is a geolocation issue you could try using a vpn and set to US. Most of them will have free trial periods etc.

Thanks. I'd lined a couple of VPNs up, when I tried my phone on data instead of Wifi. I can access their site on my phone on data now, which might do. But I'll have a shot at their US app via a vpn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭wawaman

Thanks. I'd lined a couple of VPNs up, when I tried my phone on data instead of Wifi. I can access their site on my phone on data now, which might do. But I'll have a shot at their US app via a vpn too.

I’m going to the giants packers game next Sunday! I bought tickets on the US ticketmaster site. They are electronic tix and I can’t see them on the Irish version on the app. But when I use a vPN they are there. I’d say that’s what your issue is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Where is a good pub in Dublin to watch Sunday evening games?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Where is a good pub in Dublin to watch Sunday evening games?

The Woolshed used to be the place

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The Woolshed used to be the place

I know it, thanks for the heads up, appreciated.

Advertisement