Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Oh we know that but does josh McDaniels know that ?
    I think he's talking about the wife. He stayed in New England and backtracked on the Colts job for family reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think he's talking about the wife. He stayed in New England and backtracked on the Colts job for family reasons.

I know it was family but wasn't there a rumour that he'd been given an indication that he'd be next in line for the patriots HC job. Now that was a rumour so take it for what it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know it was family but wasn't there a rumour that he'd been given an indication that he'd be next in line for the patriots HC job. Now that was a rumour so take it for what it was.

The New England job is like the Man Utd job after Ferguson leaving. You don’t want to be the next man after BB, even though I believe he’s still got another few years there yet, there’s a big rebuild coming for the Pats, you’d be better off being the next guy after the next guy to take that job.

gstack166 wrote:
    The New England job is like the Man Utd job after Ferguson leaving. You don’t want to be the next man after BB, even though I believe he’s still got another few years there yet, there’s a big rebuild coming for the Pats, you’d be better off being the next guy after the next guy to take that job.
    Bill won't leave though, when he decides to stop coaching he'll move upstairs and remain in as GM.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bill won't leave though, when he decides to stop coaching he'll move upstairs and remain in as GM.

Which to use the Manchester United example won't help the next HC as Matt busby stayed on at United after he retired and it can't have helped.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Which to use the Manchester United example won't help the next HC as Matt busby stayed on at United after he retired and it can't have helped.
    It's completely different.

If it's true that the Cowboys have fired their entire coaching staff then they already have the replacement I'd guess.
    There's been rumours for a while that Lincoln Reilly is the next Cowboys coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

eagle eye wrote:
    If it's true that the Cowboys have fired their entire coaching staff then they already have the replacement I'd guess. There's been rumours for a while that Lincoln Reilly is the next Cowboys coach.

Not what I have been told from my side from NFL Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Isn't Kellen Moore highly thought of? I'd be surprised if he's part of any mass cull.

• Advertisement

Jane slater is reporting that Jason Garret has left the meeting with Jerry and Stephen jones and now we wait. I actually wouldn’t be at all surprised if he’s back next year.

No Jason Garret decision today according to nfl network and the training facility is closed tomorrow. So it looks like Jason Garret will be the cowboys coach until January 1st at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    No Jason Garret decision today according to nfl network and the training facility is closed tomorrow. So it looks like Jason Garret will be the cowboys coach until January 1st at least.

Garretts contract is up on January 14th. Easiest thing to do is just not renew it and spare him the embarrassment of being fired. I can’t see him being back for another year anyway

Are the Cowboys genuinely that talented and underachieving, or are they simply overrated? I can’t believe they missed the playoffs with the injury state the Eagles are in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Garretts contract is up on January 14th. Easiest thing to do is just not renew it and spare him the embarrassment of being fired. I can’t see him being back for another year anyway

Are the Cowboys genuinely that talented and underachieving, or are they simply overrated? I can’t believe they missed the playoffs with the injury state the Eagles are in

They never tackle anyone, the amount of yardage after contact against them is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

gstack166 wrote: »

Only thing going in Dorseys favour is that they did draft well at times so he might get some goodwill despite making a mess of hiring a head coach. Maybe have him on a shorter leash but the problems at Cleveland and their lack of discipline are fairly consistent with what's happened to dorsey in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

One big problem they have had historically is a tendency towards very quick turnover at the hc position. To me that would put off any top candidate from taking the position, and it also tells you the real problem is probably organisational instead of to do with the gm or hc. You can't build anything if you're blowing it up every two years. Which it looks like they're going to do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would be harsh to sack Dorset surely? I do think he made an error trading Zeitler and not addressing the issues at both offensive tackle positions but that is something they can work on this off season, all in all I think he has drafted and recruited well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Well Matt Rhule has supposedly declined their interview. I imagine it will only interest those who might think their options are limited elsewhere, or those who are starstruck by some of the big names they have and overlook the back office mess.

McDaniels is from Ohio. I wonder would that, combined with his Offensive coordinator mindset and the allure of Baker, Chubb, Hunt, OBJ and Landry be enough to tempt him.

Plenty attractive about the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well Matt Rhule has supposedly declined their interview. I imagine it will only interest those who might think their options are limited elsewhere, or those who are starstruck by some of the big names they have and overlook the back office mess.

McDaniels is from Ohio. I wonder would that, combined with his Offensive coordinator mindset and the allure of Baker, Chubb, Hunt, OBJ and Landry be enough to tempt him.

Plenty attractive about the job.

Isn't obj pretty openly hinting a desire to get out of there?

• Advertisement

One big problem they have had historically is a tendency towards very quick turnover at the hc position. To me that would put off any top candidate from taking the position, and it also tells you the real problem is probably organisational instead of to do with the gm or hc. You can't build anything if you're blowing it up every two years. Which it looks like they're going to do again.

And I wouldn't judge a HC on them being the Browns HC because as you say it's mostly organisational. They have been back in the league 20 years and even the most dysfunctional sports franchise in that time frame if not hanging banners would be showing some signs of progress. The Browns can't do that it seems.

You can't expect young players coming into this league and playing for the Browns to get better. Players need some stability. Baker Mayfield will enter his third season in the NFL next on his third permanent HC and one interim HC. That doesn't work.

I know the steelers are the absolute extreme example given they have had three HCs since Nixon was president.

All he's short is a neon sign at this point.

Sales of chewing gum in Cleveland going to plummet now with Dorsey gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd say an offensive minded coach who promises to make him a 1500-ish yard receiver could convince him to stay.

Granted, Mayfield would need to start showing promise again.

I'd say an offensive minded coach who promises to make him a 1500-ish yard receiver could convince him to stay.

Granted, Mayfield would need to start showing promise again.

Start showing promise and softening his cough. For a young fella who has won nothing he's awful confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Genuine question; who would take OBJ at this stage? Less than a year after talking up how great the Browns, Baker, Landry etc. are and he's throwing them all under the bus. Who would want that in their locker room? He's under contract so would need to be traded and can't imagine the browns will let him go cheap.

Just don't see many teams being in the market for him and its embarassing the way he's been begging teams to "come get him", he just wants to be at a contender, thought he had that with the browns and as soon as it went to **** he was looking to get out. Toxic presence and as talented as he is I wouldn't take him at the ravens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Ron Rivera to Washington is apparently a done deal. Not sure why anyone would want to go work with Dan Synder

phatkev wrote: »
    Ron Rivera to Washington is apparently a done deal. Not sure why anyone would want to go work with Dan Synder

I presume it’ll be the same as every other coach hired by Snyder, he promises he won’t interfere but then he can’t stop himself from sticking his beak in and it’ll be the same sh1t show as always.

In an ideal world, RR would have got it into his contract that Snyder has to stay away from football decisions and even though he would have had some leverage, I doubt he got that commitment.

Jack Del Rio in as DC with the Redskins now too.

• Advertisement

Some people might find this interesting. I knew that the preparation that goes into putting on an NFL game was huge and has gotten more complex over the years but it's nice to see what happens.

Advertisement