Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Good stat just put out on the Dan LeBatard radio show: The Packers led for 0 seconds in their games verses the Lions but won both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Richard Sherman got a lot of crap for not using an agent when negotiating with the 49ers and signing a contract where he bet on himself, with a lot of money tied to incentives.

It could have gone badly for him but after being selected as a 2nd team all pro he will now receive the full $4m in incentives he was due and be one of the top paid CBs this year.

Ended up being a great deal for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Richard Sherman got a lot of crap for not using an agent when negotiating with the 49ers and signing a contract where he bet on himself, with a lot of money tied to incentives.

It could have gone badly for him but after being selected as a 2nd team all pro he will now receive the full $4m in incentives he was due and be one of the top paid CBs this year.

Ended up being a great deal for both sides.

I was one of the people who was critical of him at the time. I mean it was still a pretty reckless gamble, but repeatedly he's proven himself to be one of the smartest players in the league, so sooner or later you have to admit he had a better understanding and analysis of the situation than his critics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He's letting Twitter know about it anyway.

https://twitter.com/RSherman_25

adrian522 wrote: »
    He's letting Twitter know about it anyway.

https://twitter.com/RSherman_25

Now that he is with the 49ers I love how he keeps himself continuously annoyed. In general I don't like it when players in public force that kind of motivation but the fact that he gets so animated about it, nearly to the point of parody, is hilarious.

• Advertisement

I was one of the people who was critical of him at the time. I mean it was still a pretty reckless gamble, but repeatedly he's proven himself to be one of the smartest players in the league, so sooner or later you have to admit he had a better understanding and analysis of the situation than his critics.

I think it was completely fair to question the deal, I did myself, but some of the stuff was way over the top, especially from elements of the media.

Plenty of agents sign players up to much worse deals than what Sherman agreed, even when younger and not coming off a serious injury, and practically all the media won't say a negative thing because the agent has leaked some ridiculously over-inflated number to make it sound great and the rest of the media parrot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Richard sher an going to town on twitter about everyone said he got screwed when he negotiated his own contract... Made about 13 million this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Derrick Henry's senior season in high school:

ENfHos8WkAE10bv?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Cowboys just hired Mike McCarthy as their new coach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

They've somehow manged to get a coach just as bad as Garrett!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm disgusted and in utter awe of how inept Jerry Jones could be

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ah FFS!!! Finally an opportunity to freshen up the team & we go & hire the one coach that could match Garret in the underwhelming stakes.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

A bit of reading on how he’s been scouting the league and different trends the past year.

Have to admire the man for adapting.

I don’t think it’s a terrible hire at all. A young or college coach may not have been able to deal with Jones sticking his beak in non stop

MrKingsley wrote: »
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

A bit of reading on how he’s been scouting the league and different trends the past year.

Have to admire the man for adapting.

I don’t think it’s a terrible hire at all. A young or college coach may not have been able to deal with Jones sticking his beak in non stop

Agree that he isn't as terrible a coach as is being made out here. Think he will be an improvement on Garret and I don't think the Cowboys is a franchise where it would suit a college coach trying to find their footing. Old Jerrah is on the clock and I don't think he'd want to be baby sitting. It will be interesting how McCarthy deals with Zeke and his big deal given his clear dislike for running the ball.

I won't be holding my breath on his claims to have spent the year adapting. It might be true but it coming out so publicly at the time it did stinks of a PR move to change the perception of him with owners.

Agree that he isn't as terrible a coach as is being made out here. Think he will be an improvement on Garret and I don't think the Cowboys is a franchise where it would suit a college coach trying to find their footing. Old Jerrah is on the clock and I don't think he'd want to be baby sitting. It will be interesting how McCarthy deals with Zeke and his big deal given his clear dislike for running the ball.

I won't be holding my breath on his claims to have spent the year adapting. It might be true but it coming out so publicly at the time it did stinks of a PR move to change the perception of him with owners.

Yeah possibly so but that would’ve become pretty obvious during the interview process if that was the case surely

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Yeah possibly so but that would’ve become pretty obvious during the interview process if that was the case surely

Maybe with one of the teams with a more forward looking ownership or front office but we're talking about Jerrah here

Maybe with one of the teams with a more forward looking ownership or front office but we're talking about Jerrah here

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Blut2

I don't know how any team could justify hiring a manager 10 years past his sell by date, like McCarthy, when there are so many bright young innovative offensively minded coaches like Lincoln Riley around. This seems a very poor choice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/1214264465937403906

Phillips out in LA. Can't imagine he'll be unemployed for long.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    I don't know how any team could justify hiring a manager 10 years past his sell by date, like McCarthy, when there are so many bright young innovative offensively minded coaches like Lincoln Riley around. This seems a very poor choice.

Shiny college coaches rarely work out in the NFL. I think they're a much better option when a team is rebuilding, like Arizona, than throwing them into the expectations of a talented team like the Cowboys.

Leaving that aside, by all accounts the Cowboys are one of the last organisations that would give a coach, young or old, the freedom to innovate.

A lot of problems people have with McCarthy seem to be recency bias. Some coaches just become stale after being with a team for so long, see Andy Reid as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

adrian522 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sonofbum/status/1214264465937403906

Phillips out in LA. Can't imagine he'll be unemployed for long.

Can we have him back to Mile High please. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 37,534 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The offensive side will certainly improve with McCarthy as head coach. All his woes in Green Bay were related to the team's defense.
    People were crying out for somebody who can get the most out of Elliott, Dak, Cooper et Al, well you got that.

And for all the moaners McCarthy is a superbowl winning head coach who had two losing full seasons versus nine winning ones in Green Bay.

Can we have him back to Mile High please. :O

A hybrid Wade/Fangio defense would be something.

Terrible move by the Rams to let him go. Defense is the least of their problems. If Salah gets a HC job, I'd love for the 49ers to go after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

A hybrid Wade/Fangio defense would be something.

Terrible move by the Rams to let him go. Defense is the least of their problems. If Salah gets a HC job, I'd love for the 49ers to go after him.

I think that that would be almost be a certainty if Saleh goes somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Was amazed Mccarthy was only 50 wins above 500

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Sounds like Giants, Panthers and Browns were all looking to offer McCarthy the gig after an interview, so he's obviously changed something that we don't see. The Peter King interview and others sounds like he's made some very good changes to his style. I'm not as negative as others are about it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ya it seems to me like the cowboys acted quick because of the strong interest in McCarthy from elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

McCarthy might be the most boring appointment ever. That said, it is probably the right one if he surrounds himself with the right coaching team. He has been there, done that, and knows the league.

Always a big risk appointing a first time HC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭cosatron

I always liked mike McCarthy, he came into a terrible situation at green bay after mike Sherman and steady the ship and got Favre to the Nfc championship who threw a crazy int in overtime against the giants and then moved on to Rodgers and won the superbowl. After the 15-1 season when Rodgers carried the team and got spanked in the divisional game against the giants, he should've got rid of Dom capers but held on to him for another 4 years and this irked allot of packers fans and reflected poorly on Mike and after the 2014 nfc championship game he lost a bit of his mojo in terms of playcalling. It will interesting to see how he gets on with dak, considering he had 2 Hall of famers in green bay and is the west coast style offence still viable in the nfl

Advertisement