Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Remind me next season to just stick to the games around weeks 10 and 11 next season and avoid all pre-game shows and podcasts as this 'salute to service' stuff is driving me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It was a PR stunt by the NFL, and by Kap. He’s just ensured that he’s out of the league permanently, and I’m now glad he is.
    He took the money from the NFL (and not the 10’s of millions his team tried to spin). He wants to work in the NFL, but not by theirs rules (which is fine, but just p!ss off if you don’t and do some real activism).
    The NFL is the 32 owners (as much as we may wish it wasn’t). It’s their league. Their rules. It sucks, but either abide or move on, like others have to do in their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It was a PR stunt by the NFL, and by Kap. He’s just ensured that he’s out of the league permanently, and I’m now glad he is.
    He took the money from the NFL (and not the 10’s of millions his team tried to spin). He wants to work in the NFL, but not by theirs rules (which is fine, but just p!ss off if you don’t and do some real activism).
    The NFL is the 32 owners (as much as we may wish it wasn’t). It’s their league. Their rules. It sucks, but either abide or move on, like others have to do in their jobs.

What rules? There are no rules or precedent for how in-season workouts will go.

Strange but not surprising how many of the same fans that complain when the NFL enforce actual 'rules' in other situations that has impact on their team but now tell Kaep to blindly accept them here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He has been doing "real activism" for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,753 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Podge_irl wrote:
    Was he or was it a stunt to raise his profile? I'm not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

He has apparently donated millions to organisations that work on the issues that he was protesting over. I don’t think it was about profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Podge_irl wrote: »
    At this stage, I believe he's doing it for himself. Maybe he believed in the cause at one stage, but it's about him now. And that's fine. But I'm not buying his bs any longer. If he didn't want to work out for the NFL, fine. But the stage show, done deliberately at the last moment..... that was him doing a runner from his potential employer. That's not someone serious about getting back into the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

At this stage, I believe he's doing it for himself. Maybe he believed in the cause at one stage, but it's about him now. And that's fine. But I'm not buying his bs any longer. If he didn't want to work out for the NFL, fine. But the stage show, done deliberately at the last moment..... that was him doing a runner from his potential employer. That's not someone serious about getting back into the league.

He shouldn’t have agreed to the workout if he was going to do that. It was a real two fingers to the NFL, even if many people are querying their motives what he did was wrong.

It would be a brave (or stupid) franchise that would bring his circus to town at this stage. He may feel he is being unfairly shut out but by god he has not helped himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Remind me next season to just stick to the games around weeks 10 and 11 next season and avoid all pre-game shows and podcasts as this 'salute to service' stuff is driving me mad.

A load of propaganda bs. Even hate the sight of the camo towels/hoodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A load of propaganda bs. Even hate the sight of the camo towels/hoodies.

All about normalising the military in people's minds.
    It's grim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

All about normalising the military in people's minds.
    It's grim.

on redzone they were asking viewers to join the write a letter campaign to talk to our serving members, seems very in your face this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

on redzone they were asking viewers to join the write a letter campaign to talk to our serving members, seems very in your face this year

They have to keep their (main?) advertising partner happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Christy42 wrote: »
    They have to keep their (main?) advertising partner happy.

Looked like they pay around 6M a year, but it doesnt go to every team.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/amount-money-military-gives-nfl.html/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Blut2

The military isn't the NFL's main advertising partner by a long shot. The military ties are mostly because the NFL fan-base skews white, male and conservative:
    Of people who identified themselves as part of the NFL fan base 83 percent were white, 64 percent were male, 51 percent were 45 years or older, only 32 percent made less than $60,000 a year, and, to finish the point, registered Republicans were 21 percent more likely to be NFL fans than registered Democrats.

http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2014/05/30/nfl-last-sports-bastion-of-white-male-conservatives/

The US is, by and large, extremely pro-military - to a degree that most Europeans who haven't lived there never understand. But the NFL fan-base is even more so again. So they very much approve of all the military support/showiness at games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

The CFL Western Conference Final ended on a bizarre play at the weekend, which led me to this absolutely crazy end to a game....if you ever needed proof that the CFL is very different from the NFL.....

Background...if you miss a kick in the CFL )with the posts at the front of a 20 yard deep endzone, and it goes over the end line, you still get a single point....so even missing a kick can win you the game.....except, the defending team can field the attempt and try to run the missed kick to avoid the "rouge" (single point score) .... which leads to this type of madness

Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

The CFL Western Conference Final ended on a bizarre play at the weekend, which led me to this absolutely crazy end to a game....if you ever needed proof that the CFL is very different from the NFL.....

Background...if you miss a kick in the CFL )with the posts at the front of a 20 yard deep endzone, and it goes over the end line, you still get a single point....so even missing a kick can win you the game.....except, the defending team can field the attempt and try to run the missed kick to avoid the "rouge" (single point score) .... which leads to this type of madness

thats numberwang!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Could you warn us if you're putting up videos of Marc Trestman? Was in the middle of breakfast.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

What sort of madness is that!

Gronk's 'big announcement' is that he'll be hosting a beach party before the Super Bowl.

Though most of the rumours of him returning sounded like pure hope than any actual signs that he would, I'm happy for him that he is staying retired. Even though he believes he has cured his CTE he shouldn't put his body through any more damage.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Gronk's 'big announcement' is that he'll be hosting a beach party before the Super Bowl.

Though most of the rumours of him returning sounded like pure hope than any actual signs that he would, I'm happy for him that he is staying retired. Even though he believes he has cured his CTE he shouldn't put his body through any more damage.

I look forward to many more years of his terrible, terrible pre game analysis on Fox.

I look forward to many more years of his terrible, terrible pre game analysis on Fox.

He looked like a deer in headlights at several points when they turned to him on Sunday. Definitely makes more sense as a TV gameshow or kids show host than adding any analysis value, though it isn't as if those pre-game shows add much of that anyway.

He's a smart business man though (or at least listens to the advice of smart business men). He continues to talk out of both sides of his mouth regarding retirement so that people actually pay attention to each of his 'big announcements'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭letowski

For people who love good offensive linemen play.

Check out this Quenton Nelson blitz pickup on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/BrandonThornNFL/status/1196903437700665349

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

VillaMad wrote: »

Hmmm...

Why only say it now and not at the time? If he's making this up and using the race card to get out of a suspension I hope the NFL add on a few more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Hmmm a very serious accusation which Rudolph has denied

I do wonder why it's taken Garret so long to say that?

Why wait until an appeal?

Even that unacceptable word doesn't excuse Garret from swinging a helmet at Rudolphs head

If I'm Rudolph the I'm now pressing charges on Garret seeing as he's accusing Rudolph of something he didn't do
    *from Rudolphs point of view. I don't know what he did or didn't say*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Bull****, you acted like a thug Garrett take your punishment like a man and deal with it.

Insert "i don't believe you" gif here

• Advertisement

The Rudolf situation is gas.

After the game: Garrett's a coward
    A few days later when the Steelers PR team have gotten to him: Privilege to play in the NFL, honour to represent the Rooney family, no ill will to Myles Garrett.

It's laughable that they think anyone believes he wrote one word of that statement.

Advertisement