Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

pixelburp wrote: »
    A technically impressive movie, given Ridley Scott reshot every scene that had Kevin Spacey, in only a few weeks prior to release. The other actors apparently were happy to accommodate, and honestly you'd never know, it's pretty seamless. Christopher Plummer puts in a good performance too, a lot less affected and more naturalistic than Spacey's probably would have been.

Funny they replaced Spacey because of his behaviour, with Plummer, who's behaviour, was also terrible, but I suppose it's historic, so he gets a pass.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny they replaced Spacey because of his behaviour, with Plummer, who's behaviour, was also terrible, but I suppose it's historic, so he gets a pass.

I had a quick look, but I wouldn't be intimately aware of Plummers career; without derailing the thread, what has he done / been accused of doing? Man's 89(!!) so forgetfulness is easily done with a career that long...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had a quick look, but I wouldn't be intimately aware of Plummers career; without derailing the thread, what has he done / been accused of doing? Man's 89(!!) so forgetfulness is easily done with a career that long...

Forgive me for linking to the Daily Mail.... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5264791/Actor-replace-Kevin-Spacey-faced-lurid-claims.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bloodsport
    91x2e-6E4UL._SL1500_.jpg
    Iron Fists and Kung-Fu Kicks
    his documentary examines the influence of Hong Kong's martial arts cinema on filmmaking from the Shaw Brothers to modern-day Hollywood blockbusters.

hot rod

A Private War – 1st December
    Rosamund Pike stars in this gripping biopic of journalist Marie Colvin.

Mid90s – 1st December
    Jonah Hill’s makes his directorial debut with this authentic coming-of-ager about a 13-year-old who spends his summer navigating between a troubled home life and a crew of new friends he meets at a skate shop.
    Erin Brockovich
    fury
    Knightfall: Season 2
    Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj: Volume 5, Episode 4
    A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish
    Going the Distance
    The Hole in the Ground
    10,000BC
    Sonic X: Season 1
    Suits (2018): Season 1
    Morphle: Season 1
    Dead Kids
    Iron Fists and Kung Fu Kicks
    Cuddiyan Pattole
    Tee Shot Ariya Jutanugarn
    High End Yaariyaan
    Qismat
    Thug Life
    Jindua
    ghost (1990)
    invaders from mars(1986)

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

peteeeed wrote: »

hot rod

added

Cool beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

a hounted house was good laugh, dont follow any actors nor their lives so movie itslef was great laugh, any idea anyone will travelers have more seasons, seems netflix did hit a jackpot with idea, and entire cast developed nice into later seasons but feels like they could put in another 1-2 seasons as towards end they seemed to be in high gear to eliminate most and bring it to an end.

Kiss the Girls (1997)

True Grit (2010)

added

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Cool beans!

My name is Dave and I like to party too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sheran

I would recommend watching The Irishman, you can find it in all of Netflix libraries. Although the movie is 3.5 hours so plan your time accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

The Irishman and the recommended way to watch it as a 'mini-series' if the 3.5 hours is too long for you;
    The first part is 49 minutes and runs from the start until Frank ends his call with Jimmy Hoffa.

The second segment runs from here until the character of Joey the Blond (Sebastian Maniscalco) is introduced at 1 hour 40 minutes in.

Next, the third sequence is from this point until Frank exits the house after a climactic scene at 2 hours 47 minutes.

The final sequence would then run here until the end.

*times without spoilers (details of the scenes) in minutes and hours;

Episode 1: 00:00 - 49:00

Episode 2: 49:00 - 01:40

Episode 3: 01:40 - 02:47

Episode 4: 02:47 - end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

DVDM93 wrote: »
    The Irishman and the recommended way to watch it as a 'mini-series' if the 3.5 hours is too long for you;
    The first part is 49 minutes and runs from the start until Frank ends his call with Jimmy Hoffa.

The second segment runs from here until the character of Joey the Blond (Sebastian Maniscalco) is introduced at 1 hour 40 minutes in.

Next, the third sequence is from this point until Frank exits the house after a climactic scene at 2 hours 47 minutes.

The final sequence would then run here until the end.

*times without spoilers (details of the scenes) in minutes and hours;

Episode 1: 00:00 - 49:00

Episode 2: 49:00 - 01:40

Episode 3: 01:40 - 02:47

Episode 4: 02:47 - end.

Cheers for that. Where did you get the times from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

sheran wrote: »
    I would recommend watching The Irishman, you can find it in all of Netflix libraries. Although the movie is 3.5 hours so plan your time accordingly

How long do you think it will stay on Netflix? Safe enough to save watching it over Christmas/ New year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

MB Lacey wrote: »
    How long do you think it will stay on Netflix? Safe enough to save watching it over Christmas/ New year?

Its a Netflix made film so it will stay on it forever...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sheran wrote: »

I'm going to watch it, but my phone is the only screen I have. Sorry Martin.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/dec/02/martin-scorsese-the-irishman-dont-watch-on-phone-netflix

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught Jonah Hill's directorial debut Mid 90s tonight, and it was pretty good. More character- than narrative-focused, it did a good job of channeling the California skate scene shown in the likes of Dogtown and Z-boys with commendable restraint. The relaxed approach means that it doesn't really have a conclusion as such, but at the same time it does feel like a significant transitional stage in Stevie's life is coming to an end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

tigger123 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Where did you get the times from?

No worries at all :)

I seen it doing the rounds on Facebook so just Googled 'Irishman mini series' & there's a fair few articles dedicated to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finally got around to Atlantics. Won't be for everyone, but well worth a shot if you're into world and art cinema. It's hard to describe, but at it's heart it's a ghostly romance reflecting on the human impacts of migration and wild inequality. It's rare and welcome to see Dakar as a setting, and the film capably balances dream logic and realism. A slow, sedate watch that lays groundwork that really pays off in the final act.

Tiffany Haddish: Black Mitzvah
    On her 40th birthday, Tiffany Haddish drops a bombastic special studded with singing, dancing and raunchy reflections on her long road to womanhood.

Wish Man
    After surviving a life-threatening accident, a troubled cop finds new purpose when he bonds with a terminally ill little boy. Based on a true story.

added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I watched Klaus last night with my wife because of recommendations in this thread, I thought it was excellent. A unique Christmas story that was funny and heart warming. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Fysh wrote: »
    I caught Jonah Hill's directorial debut Mid 90s tonight, and it was pretty good. More character- than narrative-focused, it did a good job of channeling the California skate scene shown in the likes of Dogtown and Z-boys with commendable restraint. The relaxed approach means that it doesn't really have a conclusion as such, but at the same time it does feel like a significant transitional stage in Stevie's life is coming to an end.

Didn't realise this was added, been looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I saw Mid 90s. It's a decent watch.
    I believe he got skaters to become actors rather than teaching actors to skate?

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I saw Mid 90s. It's a decent watch.
    I believe he got skaters to become actors rather than teaching actors to skate?
    Yep, got some of the real skate boarding talent and got them to act....i'm more interested in hearing how he integrated the music into the movie :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Yep, got some of the real skate boarding talent and got them to act....i'm more interested in hearing how he integrated the music into the movie :)

I enjoyed the use of Pharcyde tracks, that was the standout for me :)

Fysh wrote: »
    I enjoyed the use of Pharcyde tracks, that was the standout for me :)
    Looking forward to them, Jonah Hill is nearly as big of a hip hop nerd as I am.

Inside the Real Narcos season 1
    Exposing a rarely seen perspective on the drug wars, ex-Special Forces commando Jason Fox interviews dangerous traffickers and cartel members.

also added

The Gunman
    Preparing to retire, a black ops assassin discovers that someone from his outfit wants him dead, thrusting him into a global chase to save himself

Magic for Humans
    From baffling people on the street to orchestrating elaborate tricks, Justin Willman blends good-natured magic with grown-up laughs.

The Road to Love Season 1
    After an argument with her dad, a young woman from a family of macho truck drivers is kicked out of the home and must make her own success as a trucker.

added

I've dug into Unbelievable, I think it's brilliant so far. One of the best things I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

Oooh, excellent! I've cooled on Hill's writing a bit after not liking his last couple of prose books, but Locke & Key is a good comic series and the premise could translate really well to a tv series.

Advertisement