Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bikram
    I enjoyed it , here seemed like a high level prick and how people deluded them self's is unreal.
    Good doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Mike Birbiglia: The New One
    Comedian Mike Birbiglia hits Broadway with a hilarious yet profound one-man show that recounts his emotional and physical journey to parenthood.

Super Monsters Save Christmas
    It's Christmas Eve in Pitchfork Pines, and the Super Monsters are joining forces to deck the halls, find Santa's missing reindeer and save the holiday!

Zona Rosa
    An assortment of talent takes the stage for a night of honest stand-up featuring four of Mexico's funniest LGBTQ comedians.

added

the Irishman is out on Netflix tomorrow

here's whats leaving (not sure how long for) so get watching

Baby Driver – 27th November
    Edgar Wright’s car chase musical is a thrillingly original ride.R

It Comes at Night – 28th November
    Trey Edward Shults’ sparse, suspenseful story of family survival is a chilling, gripping descent into paranoia.

The Hurt Locker – 1st December
    Kathryn Bigelow’s film about a bomb disposal officer made a star of Jeremy Renner, but its real achievement was conveying the adrenaline rush of being in the middle of combat – a constant state of tension that leaves Renner’s soldier wanting more.

Merlin – 15th December
    In a land of myth and a time of magic… This charming BBC fantasy series takes a Smallville-style look at the legends of King Arthur, and introduced the world to the brilliant Colin Morgan and Katie McGrath.

Other titles leaving Netflix UK in November and December 2019:

26th November
    Van Wilder: Freshman Year

27th November
    The Line

29th November
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

30th November
    Ghost Team
    Winning
    Wish Upon

1st December
    A Moody Christmas
    Breaking the Magician’s Code
    Digimon Fusion
    Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
    Kate and Mim-Mim
    My Little Lover
    Paleo Way
    Space Dandy
    The Syndicate
    Syriana
    Tempel
    UFOs: The Best Evidence Ever Caught On Tape

11th December
    Mr. Selfridge

14th December
    Top 10 Secrets and Mysteries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I watched Bikram: Yogi,Guru,Predator
    I had seen jokes made about him and knew he was a bit of a creep but not the full exent. Not the best documentary I'd seen about a predatory man but I found it really interesting.

I will admit for the first half an hour it had me considering taking up Bikram yoga by the end I'd gotten over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

peteeeed wrote: »
    here's whats leaving (not sure how long for) so get watching

Baby Driver – 27th November
    Edgar Wright’s car chase musical is a thrillingly original ride.R

Vastly over rated film, personally I found it to be utter ****e. The characters just seemed like an assortment of caricatures thrown together.

Really don't get any of the praise it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Vastly over rated film, personally I found it to be utter ****e. The characters just seemed like an assortment of caricatures thrown together.

I think Hot Fuzz was the last good film Edgar Wright directed. Thought Scott Pilgrim was pretty average and World's End complete crap. Baby Driver is more style over substance.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

I think Hot Fuzz was the last good film Edgar Wright directed. Thought Scott Pilgrim was pretty average and World's End complete crap. Baby Driver is more style over substance.

I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Vs The World. Style over substance can work at times, I just think the film has to double down on it. Baby Driver never felt sure about what it wanted to be, so the attempt at style over substance failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I really enjoyed Baby Driver :)

It is style over substance, more music video than film, and it does lose it's way towards the end but I thought the first half was quality

Gutted The Hurt Locker is leaving. Haven't seen it for a while and wanted to rewatch it but won't have time now

I really enjoyed Baby Driver :)

It is style over substance, more music video than film, and it does lose it's way towards the end but the first half or so but I thought the first half was quality

Gutted The Hurt Locker is leaving. Haven't seen it for a while and wanted to rewatch it but won't have time now

it normally means film 4 will have them for a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i thought the irishman would drop at midnight....but seemingly it'll be tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i thought the irishman would drop at midnight....but seemingly it'll be tomorrow morning.

Midnight West coast of America, 8am here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I watched Bikram: Yogi,Guru,Predator
    I had seen jokes made about him and knew he was a bit of a creep but not the full exent. Not the best documentary I'd seen about a predatory man but I found it really interesting.

I will admit for the first half an hour it had me considering taking up Bikram yoga by the end I'd gotten over that.

Check out Wild West Country if you liked Bikram.

The Irishman
    Hit man Frank Sheeran looks back at the secrets he kept as a loyal member of the Bufalino crime family in this acclaimed film from Martin Scorsese.

The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open
    After a traumatic event, two Indigenous women in Vancouver are brought together and form a deep bond despite leading different lives.

Broken Season 1
    This investigative docuseries shows how negligence and deceit in the production and marketing of popular consumer items can result in dire outcome

added

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Addle wrote: »
    Check out Wild West Country if you liked Bikram.
    Do you mean wild wild country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

You son of a bitch .

gmisk wrote: »

wild west county was the follow up where john Wayne and Clint Eastwood have a shootout with the cult

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

gmisk wrote: »
    wild west county was the follow up where john Wayne and Clint Eastwood have a shootout with the cult

Yes, thank you.
    I did think it was called Wild West Country.
    I only watched it lately and I did expect it to be about the gold rush or cowboys or something when I saved it.

Holiday Rush
    A widowed radio DJ and his four spoiled kids need to tighten their belts and pull together when their life of luxury turns lean just before Christmas.

Levius season 1
    Young Levius rises through the ranks in the brutal world of metal boxing under his uncle's guidance. Forces outside the ring have their eye on him.

Merry Happy Whatever
    A struggling LA musician tries to win over his new girlfriend's gruff dad and quirky, tight-knit siblings on a 10-day Christmas visit to Philadelphia.

Mythomaniac season 1
    Burned out and taken for granted, a working mom suspects her partner is cheating, so to win back his attentions, she feigns a medical diagnosis.

Ruben Brandt, Collector
    In this artfully animated thriller, a psychotherapist enlists creative thieves to steal the priceless paintings that are haunting his dreams.

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

They're not my cup of tea at all, but respect & fair play to Netflix for really diving deep into the sub-genre of Christmas schmaltz; it's obviously a great publicity / subscription winner for them, and they're happy enough to churn out those feel-good, "Hallmark" esque films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Watched about an hour of teh irishman, before going to bed. Knew we would not finish it last night but it is so long figured watching it over 2 nights was best option anyway.

Excellent imo. Really enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Very much enjoyed The Irishman. Those 3 hours flew by to me. Man, Joe Pesci, what a film and performance to come out of retirement on.. I'm sad thinking this might be the last for the whole gang, but man, what a film.

The Movies That Made Us season 1
    These blockbusters brought us together and gave us the time of our lives. Meet the actors, directors and industry insiders who made them happen.

I Lost My Body (french,animated)
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/24/i-lost-my-body-review-french-animation-jeremy-clapin-severed-hand
    Romance, mystery and adventure intertwine as a young man falls in love and a severed hand scours Paris for its owner in this mesmerizing animated film.

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Caught I Lost My Body in the cinema a few days ago and it’s definitely worth a look. I wasn’t totally onboard with some of its narrative choices, but it has a strange, gritty energy and look/sound that I really appreciated. Definitely a welcome change of pace given animated films of the sort are sadly rare beasts.

Just a clear FYI that it’s not for kids - maybe older teens, but it’s ‘adult’ albeit not in the typical ‘adult animation’ (South Park etc) sort of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Bikram – Choudhury
    Yoga is cool, hot yoga is minging. Holed up in a sweaty stinking complex for nine weeks, paying 10 grand. The bald guy who wasn’t actually touched, kinda sounded disappointed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see "Atlantics" has been added recently. I've seen lots of positive reviews about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I see "Atlantics" has been added recently. I've seen lots of positive reviews about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/may/16/atlantique-review-cannes-mati-diop-senegal-mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Bikram – Choudhury
    Yoga is cool, hot yoga is minging. Holed up in a sweaty stinking complex for nine weeks, paying 10 grand. The bald guy who wasn’t actually touched, kinda sounded disappointed.

There's a whole series on 30 for 30 about this.

https://30for30podcasts.com/bikram/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Caught I Lost My Body in the cinema a few days ago and it’s definitely worth a look. I wasn’t totally onboard with some of its narrative choices, but it has a strange, gritty energy and look/sound that I really appreciated. Definitely a welcome change of pace given animated films of the sort are sadly rare beasts.

Just a clear FYI that it’s not for kids - maybe older teens, but it’s ‘adult’ albeit not in the typical ‘adult animation’ (South Park etc) sort of way.

Watched it there tonight. Not sure what to think of it really. I liked it but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, that's for sure. Reminded me a little of The Red Turtle, but that might just have been the music? But yes, definitely good to see more adult orientated animation getting a wider audience.

Haunted house (2013)

All the money in the world (2017)

Chips ( movie remake)

King Arthur ( legend of the sword)

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haunted house

All the money in the world

A technically impressive movie, given Ridley Scott reshot every scene that had Kevin Spacey, in only a few weeks prior to release. The other actors apparently were happy to accommodate, and honestly you'd never know, it's pretty seamless. Christopher Plummer puts in a good performance too, a lot less affected and more naturalistic than Spacey's probably would have been.

Advertisement