Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, he is. Meant to be picking up where the original series left off. Being made by the same ones who do the Castlevania series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

‘Chinatown’ Prequel

Netflix Teams Robert Towne And David Fincher for ‘Chinatown’ Prequel Series Pilot Script
    Netflix has closed deals with Robert Towne and David Fincher to work up a pilot script for a prequel to the 1974 classic film Chinatown, sources tell Deadline. Towne won an Oscar for scripting a drama that mixed fact and fiction to tell the story of a private eye hired to expose an adulterer who instead uncovers far more unsavory things.

Fincher will be executive producer along with Towne and Josh Donen. The idea behind the prequel series would be to focus on a young Jake Gittes (played in the film by Jack Nicholson) as he plies his business in a town where the wealthy and corruption involves areas like land, oil and gangs. The hope is that Fincher might direct the pilot, but that is not part of the deal which at this point covers a pilot script. Roman Polanski directed the original film and the late Robert Evans produced it.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/chinatown-prequel-series-pilot-robert-towne-david-fincher-netflix-1202789041/

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Ugh. Why not just write something original. The fact its a prequel means NO JEOPARDY! One of the things that makes Chinatown great is the mystery/suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Pitch Perfect 2

Z nation season 5

added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I can talk about streaming services other than Netflix in this thread as well - right?

3 recommendations:

The first two episodes of "the Mandalorian" were good. Star wars meets firefly. Looking forward to the rest.

Succession - season 1 was excellent, planning to get stuck into season 2 shortly. Most horrible cast of characters ever.

Watchmen - only watched the first episode of this - but already clear it will be worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Fian wrote: »
    I can talk about streaming services other than Netflix in this thread as well - right?

3 recommendations:

The first two episodes of "the Mandalorian" were good. Star wars meets firefly. Looking forward to the rest.

Succession - season 1 was excellent, planning to get stuck into season 2 shortly. Most horrible cast of characters ever.

Watchmen - only watched the first episode of this - but already clear it will be worth a watch.

It's a Netflix Recommendations thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

3 recommendations:

I liked Zelda BotW personally. Also weren't Ireland disappointing in the rugby world cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

3 recommendations:

How did you watch The Mandalorian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Alternate streaming recommendations, as in this case Amazon Prime:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99672356&postcount=1

Should there be separate recommendation threads for the different streaming services popping up, or maybe just a "non-Netflix" streaming recommendation thread?
    Does this question belong in a separate thread?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I’m 6 episodes into the latest season having loved the first 2 and just wanted to agree with this comment. I think this show is one of Netflix’s finest creations. Very funny, undeniably sweet but give it some time for character development and it’ll hit you right in the feels as well. Really beautifully written, beautifully casted and beautifully acted IMO. Highly recommended
    Currently also watching the 3rd season of 'Atypical' and you sum it up very well. It's one of the only shows that puts a genuine smile on my face because they manage to pitch those sweet moments perfectly - nice and sometimes flawed people trying to do their best. Wonderful show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

ixoy wrote: »
    Currently also watching the 3rd season of 'Atypical' and you sum it up very well. It's one of the only shows that puts a genuine smile on my face because they manage to pitch those sweet moments perfectly - nice and sometimes flawed people trying to do their best. Wonderful show.

If I could change one thing ......the mother
    God she is an annoying actress

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

km79 wrote: »
    I like her more now than in the earlier seasons, but it bugs me that she gets top billing over Keir Gilchrist who the damn show is about. Sure she's a more famous actor but it's not her character's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has probably taken me over a year but tonight I finally finished watching El Patron del Mal - 74 episodes on netflix.

One of the best things I have watched on tv.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

km79 wrote: »

But I think she's meant to be annoying; you see that just in the interactions with the daughter alone, while she projects this front of "super cool mum", hiding the various emotional cracks underneath. Honestly I think it makes her more relatable, being kinda awkward and clumsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am very late to Schitts Creek....but I love it..such a fun easy watch...Catherine OHara is great fun as usual

pixelburp wrote: »
    But I think she's meant to be annoying; you see that just in the interactions with the daughter alone, while she projects this front of "super cool mum", hiding the various emotional cracks underneath. Honestly I think it makes her more relatable, being kinda awkward and clumsy.

Her voice though

Anyway it’s only a minor gripe
    Love the show

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

Have watched The King, Dolemite Is My Name and Earthquake Bird over the last couple of weeks. Very different movies but all worth a watch. Found The King the most engrossing and Dolemite just good fun with some heart. Earthquake Bird was a bit strange and slow but held my curiosity enough to see through to the end.

Destroyer (yes)
    After going in too deep while infiltrating an LA gang, a hardened police detective finally gets the chance to face her old demons.

Bikram: Yogi, Guru, Predator
    This documentary charts the rise and fall of hot yoga founder Bikram Choudhury as his global empire is born and disturbing revelations come to light.

Chasing Perfect
    One of the most inventive minds in auto design is explored in this documentary about Frank Stephenson, a legend in the high-performance car world.

Dream/Killer
    This riveting crime doc follows Bill as he confronts America's broken judicial system after his son is falsely sentenced to 40 years in prison.

Holiday Secrets
    A Christmas reunion becomes a gateway to the past in this three-part series that explores the intimate complexities of one family's history.

Lorena, Light-Footed Woman
    Lorena Ramerez of Mexico's Raremuri community lives a pastoral life -- except when she straps on her sandals to compete as an ultramarathon runner.

Who Killed Little Gregory?
    When their 4-year-old son is murdered, a young couple fights a twisting and arduous battle trying to identify a frustratingly elusive killer

added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ingrid Goes West was added recently so I had a look; I've enjoyed most stuff I've seen with Aubrey Plaza in and she doesn't disappoint here. The script is good rather than great - it does have a bunch of very funny "these are all awful people" moments, but also feels a bit like Ingrid is a passenger in her own life (possibly intentional given how she latches obsessively onto strangers). It's worth watching, but not quite as good as Welcome To Me, a film which manages, despite not being specifically focused on social media, to have more bite in its examination of celebrity cultism...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bad Blood tv series. Good watch if you liked Ozark and Narcos

• Advertisement

Better call Saul with season 5 returns Feb 24th

The Knight Before Christmas
    Medieval magic sends a 14th-century knight to modern-day Ohio, where he falls for a high school science teacher who's disillusioned by love.

Man Down (4 seasons)
    A childish idiot trapped in an adult's body, schoolteacher Dan hates his job, hates his girlfriend-less life and has good reason to fear his dad.

Mortel Season 1
    After making a deal with a supernatural figure, two high schoolers emerge with extraordinary powers and join forces to solve a murder

added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Man down is brilliant. Very funny and quite touching at times, the trip to the museum, school trip episode is "very touching" :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fysh wrote: »
    Ingrid Goes West was added recently so I had a look; I've enjoyed most stuff I've seen with Aubrey Plaza in and she doesn't disappoint here. The script is good rather than great - it does have a bunch of very funny "these are all awful people" moments, but also feels a bit like Ingrid is a passenger in her own life (possibly intentional given how she latches obsessively onto strangers). It's worth watching, but not quite as good as Welcome To Me, a film which manages, despite not being specifically focused on social media, to have more bite in its examination of celebrity cultism...
    Welcome to me is such an underrated film. Will defo check this out

Man down is brilliant. Very funny and quite touching at times, the trip to the museum, school trip episode is "very touching" :pac:

Perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No Escape is pretty decent! Owen Wilson.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched The Knight Before Christmas this evening and it's actually not bad. I mean it's your standard "made for TV" kind of cheesy Christmas film but the two leads are decent and it looks Christmassy AF. I'm not saying you should 100% drop everything and watch this right now! But if you feel the need to indulge in cheesy romantic Christmas nonsense, you could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Arctic very good film. About man stranded in arctic + fight for survival. Very little talking so you would have to like films such as castaway.

Astonishingly good acting. Just shows you dont need special effects for every film.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Another recommendation for Dolemite is My Name here. I’d forgotten how charismatic Eddie Murphy is - he’s very good in it

• Advertisement

High Seas: Season 2
    The Spanish thriller returns for a second season.

Nailed It! Holiday: Season 2
    Netflix’s unique baking contest returns for a second helping of seasonal kitchen fails.

Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings
    EJ9n_iIWwAENO84?format=jpg&name=small
    The Dolly music you love, the stories you’ve been waiting for. Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings is an anthology series that showcases the stories, memories, and inspirations behind her most beloved songs. New and classic Dolly music will score every episode. Each story will vary in tone, from love stories and inspirational tales to family dramas, westerns, and revenge comedies.

The Dragon Prince Season 3

Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy
    In this spin-off, a martial arts expert once defeated by Ip Man is forced to abandon his reclusive lifestyle to combat a rising Chinese triad.

Narcoworld: Dope Stories
    Ride along as police officers and drug smugglers go toe-to-toe, trying to outwit each other in locales around the world.

Nobody's Looking Season 1
    A new guardian "angelus" uncovers a secret behind the Angelus System's bureaucracy that leads him to break its official rules about protecting humans.

Shelby American
    Featuring interviews and vintage footage, this documentary traces American icon Carroll Shelby's life of reinvention from farmer to racer to entrepreneur.

Trolls: The Beat Goes On! season 8

added

Advertisement