Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭GBX

sweetie wrote: »
    anyone watching the Confession killer? One of those true crime stories that shows the police in a poor light.

I'm on the last episode which i'll finish tonight. Really good show. Definitely worth a watch if you like true crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Finally finished El Marginal. Gory, violent, explicit, great acting. I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I can't wait for the witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Don't f*ck with cats up this morning, seems very interesting and since I'm off work today will most likely have it all watched by this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Death of Stalin (highly recommend this)
    The death of Russian dictator Joseph Stalin throws the Soviet Union into comic chaos as his ambitious but addled ministers maneuver to succeed him.

Don't F**k with Cats: Hunting an Internet Killer
    A twisted criminal's gruesome videos drive a group of amateur online sleuths to launch a risky manhunt that pulls them into a dark underworld

Soundtrack season 1
    Love, loss and transformative luck intersect in this musical drama about two struggling artists experiencing life at full volume in Los Angeles.

added

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Death of Stalin is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Death of Stalin (highly recommend this)
    The death of Russian dictator Joseph Stalin throws the Soviet Union into comic chaos as his ambitious but addled ministers maneuver to succeed him

Brilliant, thank you!

Missed it in the cinema and desperately want to see it. I love Armando Iannucci. Serious cast too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Death of Stalin was a fantastic comedy, and one where just as you were chuckling at the dark comedy mined from Stalinist Russia, the laughs stopped and the horror of it all took over. Left me a little shocked really; it was nothing gratuitous, but the manner in which Iannucci pulled the rug was masterful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Death of Stalin was a fantastic comedy, and one where just as you were chuckling at the dark comedy mined from Stalinist Russia, the laughs stopped and the horror of it all took over. Left me a little shocked really; it was nothing gratuitous, but the manner in which Iannucci pulled the rug was masterful.
    It's one of my favourite films of 2017. Deep black humour at times, but very clever. I found myself empathising with one particularly monstrous character as he realised he was finished.

I remember Iannucci promoting it on the radio. He was saying he'd been reading about some of these guys, and he just felt it was almost beyond parody. He mentioned Stalin's idiot son, given rank in the air force and put in charge of the national hockey team. He ordered a plane to take off in terrible conditions (as I recall Iannucci telling it - I can't quickly corroborate it now), the plane crashes, and he scrambles to cobble together a replacement hockey team before his dad finds out he's killed the national team. This actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Even by Michael Bay standards, 6 Underground is sh*te. Total incoherent mess, acting, what there is of it, is dreadful. Some of that could be down to the abysmal script or that the European actors just aren't comfortable speaking English. Who knows.

F*cking Dire.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really enjoyed Russian Doll.
    When is season 2 coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Destination Wedding. Managed to struggle through 2/3rds of it. Just not my type of humour......,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Even by Michael Bay standards, 6 Underground is sh*te. Total incoherent mess, acting, what there is of it, is dreadful. Some of that could be down to the abysmal script or that the European actors just aren't comfortable speaking English. Who knows.

F*cking Dire.

Literally managed about 5 mins it was awful. Was in the mood for a bit of mindless entertainment but this was just ridiculous nonsense. Stupidest car chase ever with silly slow mo scene, stopped at that stage. Life is too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Has anyone watched "soundtrack" on Netflix? I think it's a musical series but not much idea bar that.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Russian Doll.
    When is season 2 coming?
    Rumours about Feb but can't say anything confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Started on The Movies That Made Us last night. The first episode focuses on Dirty Dancing. How the idea for the movie came about, how it got made and how the actors were chosen for the parts. Reminds me of one of those documentaries you stumble across at night on BBC 4 or something and you find yourself getting stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭jeffk

Taiga wrote: »
    Started on The Movies That Made Us last night. The first episode focuses on Dirty Dancing. How the idea for the movie came about, how it got made and how the actors were chosen for the parts. Reminds me of one of those documentaries you stumble across at night on BBC 4 or something and you find yourself getting stuck into it.

Its the same format as the toys that made us

Very enjoyable shows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I avoided "The Komenski Method " simply because I can't abide Michael Douglas. Started it tonight and love it!
    Love his Jewish friend, his daughter,his girlfriend and he's ok too...
    Definitely surprised by it..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

jluv wrote: »
    I avoided "The Komenski Method " simply because I can't abide Michael Douglas. Started it tonight and love it!
    Love his Jewish friend, his daughter,his girlfriend and he's ok too...
    Definitely surprised by it..

I think it’s my favourite Netflix show of 2019. :)

After the Raid
    A large immigration raid in a small town leaves emotional fallout and hard questions for its churchgoers about what it means to love thy neighbor

Jurassic World

Twice Upon A Time season 1
    Months after a crushing breakup, a man receives a mysterious package that opens a portal to the past -- and gives him a chance to win back his ex.

Ultraviolet season 2

added

• Advertisement

The Witcher: Season 1 arrives tomorrow

After the Raid
    A large immigration raid in a small town leaves emotional fallout and hard questions for its churchgoers about what it means to love thy neighbor

Jurassic World

Twice Upon A Time season 1
    Months after a crushing breakup, a man receives a mysterious package that opens a portal to the past -- and gives him a chance to win back his ex.

Ultraviolet season 2

added
    I wonder is Jurassic world the film or a tv show version that is meant to be coming soon..

gmisk wrote: »
    I wonder is Jurassic world the film or a tv show version that is meant to be coming soon..

film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The Witcher: Season 1 arrives tomorrow
    I seem to have decided this is going to be juvenile sh!t, just tits and dragons and no plot or world building. It’s pessimistic because I thought the stories in the original Witcher game were very good and I think I liked the Witcher story I listened to on audiobook too. Maybe because The Witcher 3 seemed tedious and overrated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched the first 2 episodes of 'Don't F**k With Cats' on a flight.. very twisty turny entertaining stuff.

It's also shown that some people need to turn off and just take some time away from the Internet. There's dedication and there's what Deanna/John (et al) undertook. Get a healthier hobby.

Also, bear in mind I might be enjoying it as have been taking a break from the all too familiar and marketing-polluting true-crime-drama that Netflix is throwing out week after week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

Basq wrote: »
    Watched the first 2 episodes of 'Don't F**k With Cats' on a flight.. very twisty turny entertaining stuff.

It's also shown that some people need to turn off and just take some time away from the Internet. There's dedication and there's what Deanna/John (et al) undertook. Get a healthier hobby.

Also, bear in mind I might be enjoying it as have been taking a break from the all too familiar and marketing-polluting true-crime-drama that Netflix is throwing out week after week.

Sat down to watch the start of the first episode to see if I'd like it, and ended up watching all 3+ hours in one go. It's entirely gripping, especially if you are not familiar with the case. Will be a bit hard to watch for some people in parts, but it's definitely worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

fjon wrote: »
    Sat down to watch the start of the first episode to see if I'd like it, and ended up watching all 3+ hours in one go. It's entirely gripping, especially if you are not familiar with the case. Will be a bit hard to watch for some people in parts, but it's definitely worth your time.
    THIS..

.. as usual with these docs, go in cold. The less info you have, the better I think.

As an animal lover (and owner of 2 cats), upsetting visuals are sparse but sounds / reactions can be every bit as harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hadn't heard of this until now, and you've definitely got me intrigued. Great title too. That alone makes me want to have a look, even though I know nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just finished the 2nd episode, absolutely incredible. Definitely go in blind and deaf if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

One episode in....hooked

Advertisement