Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Mellor wrote: »
    Possibly to announce it at a PPV event that’ll have eyes on it.
    Look at it this way, somebody is headlining UFC 246 in January. And that somebody hasn’t been announced yet. For whatever reason.

Looks like Jones is fighting Reyes at 247 in Feb.

Aye, I just don't believe that'll be Conor McGregor! I hope I'm wrong. I'm not basing this on any sort of info, it's just a feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

dulux99 wrote: »
    Aye, I just don't believe that'll be Conor McGregor! I hope I'm wrong. I'm not basing this on any sort of info, it's just a feeling.

What other title fight would headline that card so ? If it's not Jon Jones it's McGregor I think

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well, if it's a PPV. There will need a champion/superstar main event.
    Look at the status of current champs.

Stipe Miocic Injured Until 2020
    Jon Jones Booked Feb
    Israel Adesanya Fought October
    Kamaru Usman Booked December (245)
    Khabib Nurmagomedov TBC Before April
    Max Holloway Booked December (245)
    Henry Cejudo Injured March/April

Amanda Nunes Booked December (245)
    Valentina Shevchenko Booked Feb
    Zhang Weili TBC March/April

Firth thing to notice is that there's no champs available for Jan. And the other is that it looks like a Jones/Shevchenko double header is set up for early Feb - on a PPV card that hasn't yet need numbered.

Reports suggest that the Feb card will be 246 or 247 depending on whether the Jan event goes ahead.
    i've no confidence whether it's happening. But McGregor or Nobody makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone here actually think conor will give up his Christmas training watching what he eats and drinks. He's not short of money. If irc he said something before about not fighting close to Christmas

As Martin Hergler used to say, "It's hard to get up at 6am to open presents on Christmas morning, when you're already got a pair of silk pyjamas''.

Well, if it's a PPV. There will need a champion/superstar main event.
    Look at the status of current champs.

Stipe Miocic Injured Until 2020
    Jon Jones Booked Feb
    Israel Adesanya Fought October
    Kamaru Usman Booked December (245)
    Khabib Nurmagomedov TBC Before April
    Max Holloway Booked December (245)
    Henry Cejudo Injured March/April

Amanda Nunes Booked December (245)
    Valentina Shevchenko Booked Feb
    Zhang Weili TBC March/April

Firth thing to notice is that there's no champs available for Jan. And the other is that it looks like a Jones/Shevchenko double header is set up for early Feb - on a PPV card that hasn't yet need numbered.

Reports suggest that the Feb card will be 246 or 247 depending on whether the Jan event goes ahead.
    i've no confidence whether it's happening. But McGregor or Nobody makes sense.

I have no issue with the idea that the UFC want McGregor to headline on January 18th. I do however have an issue with the prospect that there's a massive event in January in Las Vegas and we've basically heard nothing about it apart from a few middling fights that could easily be re-organised for another event. The negotiations obviously aren't going great.

• Advertisement

I have no issue with the idea that the UFC want McGregor to headline on January 18th. I do however have an issue with the prospect that there's a massive event in January in Las Vegas and we've basically heard nothing about it apart from a few middling fights that could easily be re-organised for another event. The negotiations obviously aren't going great.

I think that's purely because if the main event falls through the card is off.

Anyway, Dana has confirmed it now. Conor v Cowboy is the plan, under negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think that's purely because if the main event falls through the card is off.

Anyway, Dana has confirmed it now. Conor v Cowboy is the plan, under negotiations.

Is there a source on this?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Is there a source on this?
    Dana said (to TMZ so punch of salt) they were aiming for Conor v Cowboy in Vegas in jan. but stressed it wasn’t done yet.

Ariel said that the Feb event was 246/247 depending on whether Jan went ahead

He gave that interview 3 or 4 weeks ago. A clickbait video re-posted the quote the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

lads unless its in a screenshot of a whatsapp group it aint happening.

• Advertisement

He gave that interview 3 or 4 weeks ago. A clickbait video re-posted the quote the other day.
    The Ariel comment/source for the feb fights were only this week though. Those fights have essentially been announced. Which confirms it was the January plans.
    I don’t see how the when matters. If that’s what they’re working on that’s what they’re working on.

Edit:
    From Twitter. “Houston PPV”. Usually they’d refer to the number.

https://www.twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1197987717843316736

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

He's gonna fight Cowboy and likely dust him too. If McGregor fights anything close to his potential it should be a good night for him. The only thing would be that Cowboy's biggest weakness is pressure, and McGregor isn't exactly known for his pressure. He's displayed it for a bit with Diaz, but as everyone knows he's most comfortable being a wicked counter fighter.

I don’t see how the when matters.
    You literally said "Anyway Dana has confirmed it now" like there was some new development which changes the discussion. So of course the when matters. You were fooled by clickbait.

You literally said "Anyway Dana has confirmed it now" like there was some new development which changes the discussion. So of course the when matters. You were fooled by clickbait.
    So it was confirmed 2weeks? I must the expiration date on that one.
    And the confirmed title fight in feb is somehow invalid? :rolleyes:
    You’re track record for making up nonsense is on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The beard is very very bushy now. This is a really good sign. Fight announcement is coming very soon, tho they will probably delay it till the week leading up to Usman vs Colby. Viva Las Vegas baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jesus christ....bushy beards......

I still cant tell if you're for real man or the best troll ever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Bushy beard - To be feared

Close shave - Only God can save

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

He was training up in SBG D24 this morning with Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He was training up in SBG D24 this morning with Paddy.

I found that odd as John and Paddy obviously don't see eye to eye and Conor pitched in on the situation not long ago on Twitter. Think it was to one of Tom Kings tweets about him leaving the SBG banner

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Paddy & Conor are still tight in any case. Paddy says in his book they when the wheels started falling off SBG Tallaght, Conor tried to give Paddy €150k to set up his own gym.

Paddy gave SBG Tallaght one last go but obviously ultimately left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.ufc.com/event/ufc-246

UFC 246

TBD
    VS
    TBD

Sun, Feb 9 / 4:00 AM CET
    Toyota Center, Houston United States

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

UFC 246

TBD
    VS
    TBD

Texas will be Jones v Reyes going off one of his tweets last week.

Someone said they wanted to see him fight and he replied asking the guy if he was ever in texas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

UFC 246

TBD
    VS
    TBD

My money is on TBD by knockout in the first round.

Well that's the end of that, it seems. No event slated for January 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

He's all fart no ****e these days.

Still convinced no fighting until all his legal troubles are cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The beard is very very bushy now. This is a really good sign. Fight announcement is coming very soon, tho they will probably delay it till the week leading up to Usman vs Colby. Viva Las Vegas baby.

Incredible scenes here at boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

UFC 246

TBD
    VS
    TBD

I was looking at this yesterday, really good flights for €350 (friday to monday) hotel for around 60-70 a night, €450 all in not bad

Until i checked the UFC link again today and the 246 part is removed!!!!!

Im sure its still jones, but skeptical now its just a fight night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

fitzparker wrote: »
    I was looking at this yesterday, really good flights for €350 (friday to monday) hotel for around 60-70 a night, €450 all in not bad

Until i checked the UFC link again today and the 246 part is removed!!!!!

Im sure its still jones, but skeptical now its just a fight night

Jones would hardly fight on a fight night would he? That 246 was definitely taken off though so something is going on

hots wrote: »
    Jones would hardly fight on a fight night would he? That 246 was definitely taken off though so something is going on

Absolutely zero chance Jones fights on a fight night card. There's about as much a chance as me headlining the card myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Could it be related to uncertainty as to whether it's 246 or 247? i.e. if Jan card is a PPV or not?

Advertisement