Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Black Friday - Chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Dpd are useless. Driver left a delivery in the bin outside my house one morning that was being collected by the bin truck! Without notifying me. Managed to get a neighbour to grab it before the bins where collected after I rang them wondering where it was.

Last week took the morning off work for a delivery. Between 11 and 12 according to the text. Nothing at 12:30. Checked the website “driver attempted to deliver “ was looking out the window all morning waiting. Completely made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Couldn't fault DPD either,the others as stated above complete nightmare will stuff anywhere and not even a text to say where it's left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭ImANoob08

There all as bad as each other to be honest...

I work with a company who uses DPD on a daily basis and there cowboys at best.

Not even talking about my own experience when they think a parcel is delivered if they throw it up on to my balcony...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Got an amazon delivery yesterday morning from dpd. Package was dropped inside our closed electric gates.
    Only realised it when I was letting out delivery guys from IKEA. Lucky it wasn’t drove over:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Absolutely dread getting that DPD email from amazon, an post are so good these days and typically the same time each day which is so convenient

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

As a matter of interest, when do DPD get used by Amazon is it a certain category of goods that DPD get used for?

For all my moaning about An Post, tbe way they service the Amazon parcel delivery contract they have is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

DPD are grand once you have a chat with the driver at some point. They generally use the same driver for your route, all you have to do is tell them where to leave your delivery if you’re not in. Make sure your item doesn’t contain class/ceramic; there’s a fairly high probability it will be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,967 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Eircode and getting to know the driver on your route definitely huge with any courier firm. Problem I have otherwise is my postal address is routed via one county but I live in another. So an post want one address, (otherwise my post is delayed) but if I put that, the courier won't deliver, as they go by county. Slightly annoying as I'm never sure which way Amazon will choose to deliver it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

GLS are the absolute worst by far in my experience.
    I will pay more (and have done) for another company if I know they are the courier.
    The last 3 deliveries took a week to get from the depo to me because the driver wasn't arsed to come out to me. One of the drivers actually complained to me that he had to drive out to me and that he couldn't drop it somewhere else for me to pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I know the Black Friday week just started but I haven't really been impressed with any of the deals so far to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

deadl0ck wrote: »
    GLS are the absolute worst by far in my experience.
    I will pay more (and have done) for another company if I know they are the courier.
    The last 3 deliveries took a week to get from the depo to me because the driver wasn't arsed to come out to me. One of the drivers actually complained to me that he had to drive out to me and that he couldn't drop it somewhere else for me to pick up

Exactly the same for me. I avoid them at all costs. Our local driver started leaving parcels at a petrol station 20 minutes away. I complained to the driver , he didn't care. GLS did nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

DPD are one of the best logistics companies operating in Europe. When I see Hermes, then I despair. Nightline aren't great either but Hermes take the cake for sitting on a package for a week or two with no explanation. They recently lost a package of mine and their entire website seems designed to obscure their contact details. In the end only during business hours was I was able to chat with a robot who said, "no" to contacting support. I never got through to anyone and had to go to the retailer which was Debenhams UK. Got the same jeans in the UK for half the cost as here even with a sale on the irish site. Really annoying they're still living in celtic tiger times with their prices and charging everything 1.5x sterling here.

Lastly, I ignored my eircode for years but finally made it a macro (ctrl-alt-e) as I'll never remember it. Drivers can pop your eircode into google maps and get your exact address. So couriers and tradesmen find them really useful to find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I always include my Eircode in every online order but DPD never print it on their address labels which results in the driver ringing me every time looking to know where my house is. Annoying when there's no need if the Eircode would just be printed but at least it's better than when they used to leave my packages at the local shop and not bother telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

DPD are one of the best logistics companies operating in Europe. When I see Hermes, then I despair. Nightline aren't great either but Hermes take the cake for sitting on a package for a week or two with no explanation. They recently lost a package of mine and their entire website seems designed to obscure their contact details. In the end only during business hours was I was able to chat with a robot who said, "no" to contacting support. I never got through to anyone and had to go to the retailer which was Debenhams UK. Got the same jeans in the UK for half the cost as here even with a sale on the irish site. Really annoying they're still living in celtic tiger times with their prices and charging everything 1.5x sterling here.

Lastly, I ignored my eircode for years but finally made it a macro (ctrl-alt-e) as I'll never remember it. Drivers can pop your eircode into google maps and get your exact address. So couriers and tradesmen find them really useful to find you.

You are having a laugh, I have had numerous occasions in the past where they just leave the parcel outside the door or worse still on your neighbors doorstep a few doors down and this was with 3 separate drivers, they would not even ring the doorbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Wtf is with all the off topic chat?!

Any chance a mod could do their job?

We had one in work where the driver said he attempted delivery but couldn't get to the house...

They uploaded a picture the driver had taken...

He was sitting in his van and it was lashing down outside but there was clear access to the house.

He didn't want to get wet.

Also have had several problems with JMC where they have taken two pallets but only dropped one or dropped two separate orders to the same site.

There all a joke.

Wtf is with all the off topic chat?!

Any chance a mod could do their job?

In fairness all this off topic chat shows how poor the amazon sale has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ImANoob08 wrote: »
    it hassnt even begun real black friday is on 29th early few deals are just random bits really, that usually go up down in price over the year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

ImANoob08 wrote: »

Depends on what you’re looking for.

I picked up....
    Echo Show 8 Black
    Echo Show 8 White
    Kindle Fire HD 8
    Firestick 4K
    Echo Input
    Launchpad Mini
    Two pairs of headphones for the kids.

Then from the Warehouse, with an extra 20% off, I got....
    Samsung Active2 44mm
    Sony Boombox
    BT Wholehome 3 Disc WiFi kit.

I’m sorted for Christmas and beyond, and there’s another few days to go yet.
    So I guess it all comes down to what you’re looking for.

Might pick up some Hue bulbs and smart plugs before the end.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Haven't seen anything to take my fancy yet. I'm already sorted with home assistants, Kindles and smart bulbs/plugs and the likes. I might be tempted to pick up a few extra hue bulbs if the price is good. I'm looking out for a pair of Sony WF-1000XM3 noise cancelling earbuds. I don't think they'll drop much on Amazon though.

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Depends on what you’re looking for.

I picked up....
    Echo Show 8 Black
    Echo Show 8 White
    Kindle Fire HD 8
    Firestick 4K
    Echo Input
    Launchpad Mini
    Two pairs of headphones for the kids.

Then from the Warehouse, with an extra 20% off, I got....
    Samsung Active2 44mm
    Sony Boombox
    BT Wholehome 3 Disc WiFi kit.

I’m sorted for Christmas and beyond, and there’s another few days to go yet.
    So I guess it all comes down to what you’re looking for.

Might pick up some Hue bulbs and smart plugs before the end.

Yeah I suppose your right I'm being pretty picky at the moment as I've just bought a new house so have feck all money to spend ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Hoping a Philips Air Fryer sees a decent reduction as I need to nab one for the folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

There hasn't been much to write about alright unless you're in the market for Amazon products then it's always a good sale. I picked up bluetooth headphones the first day but haven't seen anything else I'm looking for. However it's not even been Thanksgiving yet. Hopefully this friday and next weekend will have a bit more sport.

RE: dpd sounds like i'm just lucky with my driver & also i work from home. I try to move the delivery date/time when i know i won't be there which is straightforward with dpd parcel wizard which i use all the time without problems.

Also a nice camera for keeping an eye out for the delivery man is the reloink. I have mine mounted upside down in an upstairs window looking out on the street and saving to my Synology nas. You can move it, zoom it, good picture even at night, and is on a black friday special right now:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Detection-Security-Surveillance-Monitor/dp/B07D4CM66K/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=reolink+camera+zoom&qid=1574616645&sr=8-3

We've come full circle and there's your deal. Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Hoping a Philips Air Fryer sees a decent reduction as I need to nab one for the folks

There's a Tower brand version around €35 in Argos and on Amazon. Supposed to be decent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Berserker5 wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inventor-Dehumidifier-Air-Ioniser-Laundry-Dryer-Warranty/dp/B076653NLG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Had this on price watch dropped bout 50 quid but I'm not bothering

4.7/5 no direct delivery though

I have it, it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have it, it's brilliant.

Hi what size area do you use it in

Anything else to add?

Hi what size area do you use it in

Anything else to add?

We had a bedroom set aside for drying clothes originally and had it in there, now have it in a large closet/cupboard sort of space.

You'll be able to dry big loads of washing overnight fairly easily with this, if you don't have a good place to do so at the moment and don't want damp clothes sitting around your house this is a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

keane2097 wrote: »
    We had a bedroom set aside for drying clothes originally and had it in there, now have it in a large closet/cupboard sort of space.

You'll be able to dry big loads of washing overnight fairly easily with this, if you don't have a good place to do so at the moment and don't want damp clothes sitting around your house this is a no-brainer.

Where did you get it from? Assuming your in Ireland. On the lookout for one.

zweton wrote: »
    Where did you get it from? Assuming your in Ireland. On the lookout for one.

I got it from Amazon, just had it delivered to Parcel Motel. Delivery ends up costing around 12 quid I think because it's too big for the lockers so you would need to collect it from their depot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inventor-Dehumidifier-Air-Ioniser-Laundry-Dryer-Warranty/dp/B076653NLG?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Had this on price watch dropped bout 50 quid but I'm not bothering

4.7/5 no direct delivery though

Is 104 pounds the sale price or original price?

Advertisement