Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clerical Officer in Prison Service

• 06-10-2019 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here is working as a clerical officer in the Irish Prison Service and could give me an idea of what it is like? Also, does flexi time apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sweetpea90

Which prison? No flexi but some offer VOT that you can build up and use in place of AL

See below, and if you've any other questions post them here.

Thanks so much. If I were to apply it would be the Midlands prison as it would be the closest to me.

Snip

Ah I see. On the list there was Midlands and also Portlaoise prison. I live in Tipp so it would have to be either of those. It wouldn't pay me to commute to Dublin.
    You mentioned VOT can I ask what that stands for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gmcrnm

<snip> is the working roster Monday to Friday or is it the same as the prison officers?
    With regards to OT or VOT is that always time owed or is it your choice.
    Realistically in year one what would be the average weekly out come be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sineads80

Any info on cork prison?! Are they taking on? Whats staff culture there?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 blackro12345

Thanks Kate for the info. Very informative. I work in AGS and it's similar I would guess.

Just having a look through the application form it seems quite different from the 2018 clerical officer one. There is a personal statement question at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

<snip>

Castlera is the prison I would be hoping to get into as I am living in Sligo! But as you say, Dublin might be a better option. As there might be a lot applying for Castlera?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

Hello I've applied for this. Has anyone downloaded the information booklet by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Freshvibes

I'm a PCO and you will be offered Dublin regardless of your preference. There are transfer lists in place for PCO's to get down to the country jails, so when new PCO's come in they take the spots in Dublin to allow for those on the transfer list to be transferred.
    They probably should have mentioned it on the application form but there is no chance of nay new entrants getting Midlands, Portlaoise, Castlerea, Wicklow etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭claregal1

Freshvibes wrote: »
    I'm a PCO and you will be offered Dublin regardless of your preference. There are transfer lists in place for PCO's to get down to the country jails, so when new PCO's come in they take the spots in Dublin to allow for those on the transfer list to be transferred.
    They probably should have mentioned it on the application form but there is no chance of nay new entrants getting Midlands, Portlaoise, Castlerea, Wicklow etc.

Hi ..Can you post the circular where it states that please , my understanding is that only a certain percentage of positions will be filled through the mobility panel with remaining positions through the panel once it's up and running .

It doesn't say it on the circular, but that's the way it works. It is not people on the mobility scheme, it's people who already work in the prisons as PCOs. They start in Dublin and when there are people to replace them and a spot because available in the country prisons, they get transferred down there. It works the same with prison officers.

The prison service is not the same as the civil service.

It doesn't say it on the circular, but that's the way it works. It is not people on the mobility scheme, it's people who already work in the prisons as PCOs. They start in Dublin and when there are people to replace them and a spot because available in the country prisons, they get transferred down there. It works the same with prison officers.

The prison service is not the same as the civil service.

Thanks for the reply . I'm a CO already in the Mid West and was looking for a change . I rang PAS to make sure I would be able to carry my increments over if I was successful in this campaign and they said I could . I just presumed that the mobility list would be the same .
    Anyone any info on Limerick ?

Im pretty sure Limerick are fully staffed at the minute. Its quiet enough down there, it has a male and female prison there but its not very busy.
    You will carry your service with you so youll enter on whatever point of the sale you're currently on

Im pretty sure Limerick are fully staffed at the minute. Its quiet enough down there, it has a male and female prison there but its not very busy.
    You will carry your service with you so youll enter on whatever point of the sale you're currently

Okay , thanks for the replies, if this competition is anything like the other completions for CO it will probably be months before it moves 😂

Yeah it can be very slow!
    It's usually the security clearance that holds everything up here, but hopefully it won't be too long for you guys

Thanks for the post! If you got selected, would you expect to be transfered after 1 year???

job seeker wrote: »
    Thanks for the post! If you got selected, would you expect to be transfered after 1 year???

You literally wouldn’t know. I’ve worked with people who waited five years for their transfer and I’ve worked with people that waited one year for their transfer. To get your transfer, a position would have to become available in your preferred jail, so you can’t really tell when you’d get your transfer.

You literally wouldn’t know. I’ve worked with people who waited five years for their transfer and I’ve worked with people that waited one year for their transfer. To get your transfer, a position would have to become available in your preferred jail, so you can’t really tell when you’d get your transfer.

Ah perfect, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lego.andi

Hi,
    Got my result and got invitation for interview. Has anyone got any tips for interview? Is it different from CO in public service?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

lego.andi wrote:
    Hi, Got my result and got invitation for interview. Has anyone got any tips for interview? Is it different from CO in public service? Thanks

I also got an interview! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21 LauraG321

Hey,
    I've also been invited to an interview. Best of luck to yous!
    I have never done a CO role before so feeling nervous about it, any tips?

Hi

Check all the competencies in the job description, have a few examples and use STAR method. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

Hi can anyone tell me is this a uniformed position?

Without any previous public sector experience what is starting salary?

LauraG321 wrote: »
    Hey,
    I've also been invited to an interview. Best of luck to yous!
    I have never done a CO role before so feeling nervous about it, any tips?
    2006 wrote: »
    I also got an interview! Best of luck

When is yours?

lego.andi wrote: »
    When is yours?

Me too presume we need to show examples to all qualities required in the booklet

Royal87 wrote: »
    Me too presume we need to show examples to all qualities required in the booklet

Was there not anything to help you prepare for the interview, in the email you were sent about the interview? I don’t know about the civil service, but that’s the way it’s done in the AGS...

job seeker wrote: »
    Was there not anything to help you prepare for the interview, in the email you were sent about the interview? I don’t know about the civil service, but that’s the way it’s done in the AGS...

No not that i could see? Anyone know is the training is residential down in portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

lego.andi wrote:
    When is yours?

I booked for first Tuesday in December

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Royal87 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me is this a uniformed position?

Without any previous public sector experience what is starting salary?

Yes it's a uniformed position.

Advertisement