Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

True they're fourth best now. I think it was pretty fluid for the first half of the season. But they have done great development as you say. So if they can keep it going then they could be fourth again next year. I don't think there's been a consistent fourth place team over the last few years.

In any case, I think anyone with a soul is happy to see mclaren get it together.

Pre financial disaster Force India were 4th two years on the spin, was nice while it lasted

I wouldn't call myself a Mclaren fan per sé but I agree, it's great to see them moving in the right direction again. I hope it's sustained

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

You could say the hiring of James Key is the key to McLaren heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    You could say the hiring of James Key is the key to McLaren heading in the right direction.

You think he could unlock their potential?

I hear he lost a lot of weight.... Now he's a skeleton Key.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

True they're fourth best now. I think it was pretty fluid for the first half of the season. But they have done great development as you say. So if they can keep it going then they could be fourth again next year. I don't think there's been a consistent fourth place team over the last few years.

In any case, I think anyone with a soul is happy to see mclaren get it together.

In some ways yes. In other ways it's still very depressing that McLaren regularly scoring points but never getting anywhere near a hope of a podium is such a cause for celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

McLaren without Ron is not really McLaren in my opinion.
    He gets bad press but being realistic, he built it and was at the helm for most of the success.
    Any of the stories you hear coming out of the team from years ago were that he was the best at what he did. Tough but very good to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

mickdw wrote: »
    McLaren without Ron is not really McLaren in my opinion.
    He gets bad press but being realistic, he built it and was at the helm for most of the success.
    Any of the stories you hear coming out of the team from years ago were that he was the best at what he did. Tough but very good to work for.

Couldn't agree more. Ron was a winner and a perfectionist and demanded the same of everyone around him, which probably rubbed people the wrong way. There was a story doing the rounds that when they built Paragon he measured the distance between the plumbing pipes to ensure that they were parallel on every wall on every corridor.

We are still none the wiser on why one of the biggest names in the sport was ousted either. Andrew Benson made a comment at the time that something went down behind the scenes, but to my knowledge it was never elaborated upon.

uchimata83 wrote: »
    We are still none the wiser on why one of the biggest names in the sport was ousted either. Andrew Benson made a comment at the time that something went down behind the scenes, but to my knowledge it was never elaborated upon.

He wasn't a success the second time around. Imagine explaining to the board why the plumbing costs were multiples of the budget because you got a ruler and made the plumbers redo work to an unreasonable and unnecessary standard. He sounds odd more than productive.

I think the reasons weren't published out of respect for him. He just wasn't up to it when he came back the second time. He tried to do it the autocratic way and it just didn't work. Joe Saward talked about it before he was fired but the writing was on the wall. He said he ballsed up a decade long sponsorship deal with Johnny Walker. They wanted to pay £70m for x years. Ron wanted £120m and he played hardball. He ended up with a car almost without sponsorship that year so I imagine that wasn't the only deal they lost.

He wanted £120m because that was the going rate back in HIS day. But it wasn't the going rate any more (post recession). So Walker took their £70m elsewhere (Force India I think). He wasn't able to adapt to the reality. He just had one gear and that gear wasn't suitable to the job anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Good memory. Podiums for non top 3 team drivers are rare of late. The 2021 regulations might make things a bit unpredictable and maybe some teams will forego some development in 2020 to focus on the new regs. So, who knows?

It was a crazy race that day, but it is events like these that create such scenarios, Kvyat passed Stroll in the final laps, and as we were on about Sainz, he finished 5th that day, 1.2 seconds off third place, another few laps and anything could have happened for him or Stroll.

The Beyond the Grid podcast has an interview with Mika Hakkinen. He sometimes seems a bit boring but he comes across as a throughly good guy. He's not an entertainer, just a completely great bloke.

He wasn't a success the second time around. Imagine explaining to the board why the plumbing costs were multiples of the budget because you got a ruler and made the plumbers redo work to an unreasonable and unnecessary standard. He sounds odd more than productive.

I think the reasons weren't published out of respect for him. He just wasn't up to it when he came back the second time. He tried to do it the autocratic way and it just didn't work. Joe Saward talked about it before he was fired but the writing was on the wall. He said he ballsed up a decade long sponsorship deal with Johnny Walker. They wanted to pay £70m for x years. Ron wanted £120m and he played hardball. He ended up with a car almost without sponsorship that year so I imagine that wasn't the only deal they lost.

He wanted £120m because that was the going rate back in HIS day. But it wasn't the going rate any more (post recession). So Walker took their £70m elsewhere (Force India I think). He wasn't able to adapt to the reality. He just had one gear and that gear wasn't suitable to the job anymore.

The example I used was just to show his attention to detail on the 100 million or so facility he built. If you really want the see the level of his ocd, read about the fountains at his house.
    If he survived spy gate, he'd survive anything, this was something related to him and Ojeh

• Advertisement

Interlagos:

Impressionen-Formel-1-GP-Brasilien-Sao-Paulo-13-November-2019-169FullWidth-609dc468-1646454.jpg

Interlagos:

Impressionen-Formel-1-GP-Brasilien-Sao-Paulo-13-November-2019-169FullWidth-609dc468-1646454.jpg

Now that's clever Heineken advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Harika wrote: »

Well there goes any chance of him ever getting a job at Mercedes lol. I don't think they would be to happy to see him disposing of there cap like that. Fair play to Vettel do for making a young fans day.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I found this video from March before the 1000th GP.

https://youtu.be/WQBW_VNCSTw

Basically it goes through the winner of each race since 1950 and how the record books shaped over time.

The one thing that sticks out big time is how Alberto Ascari is still in the top 25. He truly was the class act of his time even in the company of Fangio.

Martin Brundle driving the McLaren MP4/4 that Senna won the 1988 title in:

McLaren-MP4-4-Martin-Brundle-Formel-1-GP-Brasilien-Sao-Paulo-14-November-2019-169FullWidth-b9019772-1647067.jpg

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

AMKC wrote: »
    Well there goes any chance of him ever getting a job at Mercedes lol. I don't think they would be to happy to see him disposing of there cap like that. Fair play to Vettel do for making a young fans day.

I'd say he'd be murdered, if not by the Tifosi, then Ferrari's own PR team if he put on a Silver Arrows cap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Martin Brundle driving the McLaren MP4/4 that Senna won the 1988 title in:

:cool:

A car that's 31 years old yet looks better than anything else current out there now. How has F1 become so bad? :o

A car that's 31 years old yet looks better than anything else current out there now. How has F1 become so bad? :o

Hardly specific to F1 though, there's plenty of older super/hyper cars that are subjectively better looking than similar from today. I'd agree the old F1 cars are kinda timeless, and beautiful in an aesthetic sense, but they'd be eaten alive by the modern cars in a heard to head - that's what matters in motorsports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Mercedes Team for sale :eek:
    https://f1-insider.com/f1/mercedes-bleibt-in-der-formel-1-aber-nure-vorerst/
    (german)
    Mercedes looking to sell team to Mazepin/Penske and instead only provide engines for cash, caused by the Diesel scandals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Harika wrote: »
    Mercedes Team for sale :eek:
    https://f1-insider.com/f1/mercedes-bleibt-in-der-formel-1-aber-nure-vorerst/
    (german)
    Mercedes looking to sell team to Mazepin/Penske and instead only provide engines for cash, caused by the Diesel scandals.

I don't buy that for a second myself. Some randomer on twitter decided that Toto wasn't in Brazil because he was off selling the team to Penske. It sounds like clickbait

skipper_G wrote: »
    I don't buy that for a second myself. Some randomer on twitter decided that Toto wasn't in Brazil because he was off selling the team to Penske. It sounds like clickbait

I thought that Toto not going was planned months ago. Nothing reported anywhere else either

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mazepin thrown in aswell since Nikita did the rookie tests this year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The advantage that Ferrari had on the straights is very back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Inviere wrote: »
    Hardly specific to F1 though, there's plenty of older super/hyper cars that are subjectively better looking than similar from today. I'd agree the old F1 cars are kinda timeless, and beautiful in an aesthetic sense, but they'd be eaten alive by the modern cars in a heard to head - that's what matters in motorsports.

Not wishing to be controversial or anything but I think the real measure of a racing car is how it performs against it's contemporaries.

How it would perform against cars from another period is of secondary interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

elperello wrote: »
    Not wishing to be controversial or anything but I think the real measure of a racing car is how it performs against it's contemporaries.

Very true but the simplicity of the design of the cars from that era makes them look just about right to the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    The advantage that Ferrari had on the straights is very back again.

Was it ever gone?

elperello wrote: »

That goes without saying. My point was that good looks do not equate to a competitive race car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

More likely that Toto is helping the Formula E team get set up for the season launch next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

flazio wrote: »
    More likely that Toto is helping the Formula E team get set up for the season launch next week.

Yeah they are all Merc F1 tester's that have moved to the FE team (Vandoorne, DeVries and Gutierrez)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement