Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mickdw wrote: »
    Very true but the simplicity of the design of the cars from that era makes them look just about right to the eye.

It looks simple now. But at the time it was the cutting edge, most high tech, most down force, most intricate wings. No doubt people looked at that car and pines for the good old days when things were simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It looks simple now. But at the time it was the cutting edge, most high tech, most down force, most intricate wings. No doubt people looked at that car and pines for the good old days when things were simpler.

I think all generations if they close their eyes and try to visualise a "racing car" will tend to return to an earlier time.

By the way I heard Martin Brundle saying that the McLaren was the 54th Formula 1 car he has driven.

Sainz will end up on the podium in the next year or 2, 77 races is almost 4 seasons. If the McLaren chassis keeps improving then with a Mercedes engine it’ll happen in 21 or sooner

We'll, there you have it. 2 bloke's get their first podium and poor Hulk watches on.

It was a bit of a lottery today particularly with sainz starting at the back. But Gasley was having a. Good race.

For another car to get on the podium it took a Mercedes engine retirement, 2 ferraris taking each other out, and Hamilton to crash Into albon which dropped them both down.

5of the top 6 out of contention. Absolutely astronomical odds of that kind of thing happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Yeah, only way anyone else bar the top 6 can get near a podium is by them taking each other out or rain or well timed safety car. On raw speed there is no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

We'll, there you have it. 2 bloke's get their first podium and poor Hulk watches on.

It was a bit of a lottery today particularly with sainz starting at the back. But Gasley was having a. Good race.

For another car to get on the podium it took a Mercedes engine retirement, 2 ferraris taking each other out, and Hamilton to crash Into albon which dropped them both down.

5of the top 6 out of contention. Absolutely astronomical odds of that kind of thing happening.

It must be the luck of Boards.ie :pac: No sooner were we Discussing Sainz and it happened :) Great result for Gasly, mightily impressed with the Honda engine against the Mercedes up the hill, Gasly admitted that Bottas/Stroll in Baku was playing on his mind when it was happening. The only pity for Sainz was that he could not stand on the podium in real time. Hulkenberg will keep the record for a bit longer, who is next up for it? All the events that happened in the race is how it should be every weekend, loads of action, not processions as we had for the first 5 races of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The last time a McLaren driver stood on the podium they hadn't really earned it.
    Now they finally earned a podium but didn't get to stand on it.

The last time a McLaren driver stood on the podium they hadn't really earned it.
    Now they finally earned a podium but didn't get to stand on it.

Magnussen 2nd & Button 3rd after Ricciardo was disqualified from 2nd for a fuel flow issue in Melbourne 2014.

Ironically that would be the last time Button would be classified with a podium finish even if he didn't physically stand on it, that came in Brazil 2012 following his victory, where a certain then Force India driver could have potentially taken victory, the same guy's name eludes me (i joke :pac:) in the way podiums have eluded him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Magnussen 2nd & Button 3rd after Ricciardo was disqualified from 2nd for a fuel flow issue in Melbourne 2014.

Ironically that would be the last time Button would be classified with a podium finish even if he didn't physically stand on it, that came in Brazil 2012 following his victory, where a certain then Force India driver could have potentially taken victory, the same guy's name eludes me (i joke :pac:) in the way podiums have eluded him

I was talking about this :)

image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

And ironically they were both in Brazil!

I was talking about this :)

image16x9.img.1536.high.jpg

And ironically they were both in Brazil!

Ah that was a good stunt haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It must be the luck of Boards.ie :pac: No sooner were we Discussing Sainz and it happened :) Great result for Gasly, mightily impressed with the Honda engine against the Mercedes up the hill, Gasly admitted that Bottas/Stroll in Baku was playing on his mind when it was happening. The only pity for Sainz was that he could not stand on the podium in real time. Hulkenberg will keep the record for a bit longer, who is next up for it? All the events that happened in the race is how it should be every weekend, loads of action, not processions as we had for the first 5 races of the season.
    The penalty for Hamilton was ludicrous. The gap was there so he was entitled to attempt the pass. I think he was being sympathetic toward Albon by blaming himself for the collision. He deserved second place and would have beaten Gasly to the line had he not suffered front wing damage.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    The penalty for Hamilton was ludicrous. The gap was there so he was entitled to attempt the pass. I think he was being sympathetic toward Albon by blaming himself for the collision. He deserved second place and would have beaten Gasly to the line had he not suffered front wing damage.

Hardcore Hamilton supporter? The front wing damage was minimal against a Toro Rosso in fairness.

chicorytip wrote: »

The apex is very late in that corner. And he had no chance of making the apex. So while the contact was late in the corner (which usually suggests 50:50) but he had no chance of making the apex so he was in the wrong.

It’s a marginal one so I wouldn’t mind whether there was a penalty or not.

The apex is very late in that corner. And he had no chance of making the apex. So while the contact was late in the corner (which usually suggests 50:50) but he had no chance of making the apex so he was in the wrong.

It’s a marginal one so I wouldn’t mind whether there was a penalty or not.

He had a small lock up going into the corner as well just prior to the collision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

He had a small lock up going into the corner as well just prior to the collision

Probably the significant factor - the fact that he wasn't completely in control caused the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Was this the first Honda engined 1-2 since Spa 1998?

Gintonious wrote: »
    Was this the first Honda engined 1-2 since Spa 1998?

That was Mugen Honda in 1998, the last actual Honda 1-2 was Berger & Senna in Suzuka 1991, Senna moved the over under the instruction of Ron Dennis I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

That was Mugen Honda in 1998, the last actual Honda 1-2 was Berger & Senna in Suzuka 1991, Senna moved the over under the instruction of Ron Dennis I think

Senna was giving it to Gerhard as Gerhard braked at the start of the race for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sainz isnt that far away from beating it. Only 77 races behind Hulk and he is only 25 years old. Unless McLaren can get up onto the podium from 2021 I cant see Sainz getting to a bigger team.

Posts that aged absolutely terribly

Think thats me securing the "worst post/prediction in the whole thread" title :pac:

This is probably one of my favourite photos of the year.

EJmtuqrXkAEZUnF?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Honda confirmed another year in the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gintonious wrote: »
    Honda confirmed another year in the sport.

Good news but only for another year? Hopefully they will be there for many years to come.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Another year.
    Sure they are only up to speed now but of course they have history of pulling out of f1 when it's about to pay off.

AMKC wrote: »
    Good news but only for another year? Hopefully they will be there for many years to come.

They’re negotiating terms so pulling out is their best negotiating weapon. So we’ll never know if they’re serious or just negotiating.

Joe Saward was talking about it this week. Same with the Renault team. Because they’re not an established team their best weapon is their withdrawal. So we the viewers will never know if they’re serious or just threatening.

Probably fair enough. Latifi is 24 so not a child prodigy but being in contention for the f2 title suggests he's on a good run of form.

Pity for hulk and kubica but probably fair enough. Hulk had had an alright season - but alright is about the peak of his career. He's more or less matched DRic this year so not a good year for him to be at hulk's league. I wonder whether he'll be able to get back to good form.

Probably fair enough. Latifi is 24 so not a child prodigy but being in contention for the f2 title suggests he's on a good run of form.

Pity for hulk and kubica but probably fair enough. Hulk had had an alright season - but alright is about the peak of his career. He's more or less matched DRic this year so not a good year for him to be at hulk's league. I wonder whether he'll be able to get back to good form.

After 4 years he is runner up. And the F2 field is regarded as being weaker this year.

Be amazed if he does better than Kubica.

After 4 years he is runner up. And the F2 field is regarded as being weaker this year.

Be amazed if he does better than Kubica.

I'd me amazed if he doesn't do better than kubica. The man has a physical disability. We don't even know if Russell is good yet because we only have Kubica to compare him to.

In hindsight, Kubica coming back was crazy. In his absence from the sport his legend grew. In truth we have lost perspective on how good he ever was because his talent was exaggerated beyond recognition when he was gone from the sport.

I'd eat my hat if latifi isn't better than kubica.

I'd me amazed if he doesn't do better than kubica. The man has a physical disability. We don't even know if Russell is good yet because we only have Kubica to compare him to.

In hindsight, Kubica coming back was crazy. In his absence from the sport his legend grew. In truth we have lost perspective on how good he ever was because his talent was exaggerated beyond recognition when he was gone from the sport.

I'd eat my hat if latifi isn't better than kubica.

Latifi wasnt a patch on Russell last time they competed in the same level. Russell won F2 on the 1st attempt. Latifi finally made runner up (although he could loose that depending on last F2 race) at the 4th attempt. His money kept him in F2.

I know some have decided Kubica is the worst F1 driver ever in history from before he ever got in the Williams so of course Latifi will be called a huge step up no matter what. Doubt he will be a patch on Russell.

Latifi wasnt a patch on Russell last time they competed in the same level. Russell won F2 on the 1st attempt. Latifi finally made runner up (although he could loose that depending on last F2 race) at the 4th attempt.

I know some have decided Kubica is the worst F1 driver ever in history from before he ever got in the Williams so of course Latifi will be called a huge step up no matter what. Doubt he will be a patch on Russell.

Doesn’t Alonso hold the record for most consecutive races out qualifying a team mate? Needless to say I can see Russell breaking it next year with Latifi. Also is it a record for Russell to do same in a debut F1 season? The status quo is highly unlikely to change this weekend

Doesn’t Alonso hold the record for most consecutive races out qualifying a team mate? Needless to say I can see Russell breaking it next year with Latifi. Also is it a record for Russell to do same in a debut F1 season? The status quo is highly unlikely to change this weekend

He'll go very close.

Also checked again. In 4 years Latifi has 6 F2 wins.....in his sole F2 season Russell won 7 races.

They are extremely far apart.

• Advertisement

Latifi wasnt a patch on Russell last time they competed in the same level. Russell won F2 on the 1st attempt. Latifi finally made runner up (although he could loose that depending on last F2 race) at the 4th attempt. His money kept him in F2.

Depends. If he's within half a second of Russell, he'll be both a step up bit could still be a complete failure.

Kubica is without doubt one of the furthest off the pace of the last decade. There were some Exclusively pay drivers who were bad. But kubica is a pay driver now too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement